Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sardine Recipes?

those looks ok..probably harder and dryer then id like though because they
use less fat it looks like..here is the ones I eat:

http://www.missionmenus.com/pressroo...?t=432&id=6376

I can get them at any chain store like walmart or my local grocery store.

they have more fat fivber and protien then carbs which isusally a winning
combo for me meter wise.

you could also try these:

http://www.josephsbakery.com/

fount at netrition.com and elsewhere

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "KROM" > wrote in message
>>
>> my wife's regular wheat bread is 89 cents a loaf.
>>
>> my low carb tortillas are 4-5 dollars for 10 small tortillas. Regular
>> flour ones are 1.19
>>
>> always the way the healthiest choice costs the most.

> My rye loaf costs over $4 but it lasts 2 weeks (I freeze it)
>
> Dunno how "healthy" the wraps are but they look white
>
> http://www.tonyferguson.com/products/wraps.aspx
>

>> KROM

>>> I still haven't tried the Tony Ferguson wraps from the pharmacy. I am
>>> probably subconsciously baulking at the price.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if it's a good stone ground tortilla made with lime it usually wont spike me
too bad because they use the field corn that's high fiber..but it its made
from sweet corn and chemicals and fried it will spike me.
sometimes will anyway so its not something I eat often.

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "KROM" > wrote:
>> my wife's regular wheat bread is 89 cents a loaf.
>>
>> my low carb tortillas are 4-5 dollars for 10 small tortillas. Regular
>> flour ones are 1.19
>>
>> always the way the healthiest choice costs the most.

> My bedtime snack-of-choice is a corn tortilla rolled around a sharp
> cheddar
> and hot sauce, nuked until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is too
> hot
> to handle! My FBG is usually between 80 and 100, rarely more than 5 mg/dL
> outside of that range.
>
> When my kid makes ceviche, I have one heaping tostada with lots of hot
> sauce. BG doesn't break 127.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you can make the 175 dollar balsamic by cooking down the 10 dollar bottle
until its thick.

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Real 12 year old Balsamico de Modena contains almost no sugar. It's
>> fermented from 100% 'must' with NO vinegar added. The sugar in the 'must'
>> has been fermented away. Cheap 'Balsamic' vinegar contains little or no
>> 'must' and is mostly red wine vinegar and caramel. Read the label!
>>[]

> BTW Good Balsamico de Modena isn't cheap! You might be able to get 250 mL
> of 8 year old for around $10, but expect to pay around $175 for 100 mL of
> 25 year or more old (I haven't tried that, yet).
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

dh eats kiippers from time to time, they smell a bit better but still not my
thing. but then as i get older i find i like fish in general less and less,
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> dh did buy a huge amount of four ounce cans from walmart as they were
>> clearancing them, they are normally /68 but these were 16 we keep them
>> for claw trimming day, Lee

> We sold TONS of them when I worked at K Mart. Especially when they were
> on sale. I was never tempted to try them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote:
> if it's a good stone ground tortilla made with lime it usually wont spike
> me too bad because they use the field corn that's high fiber..but it its
> made from sweet corn and chemicals and fried it will spike me.
> sometimes will anyway so its not something I eat often.

I think the corn tortillas are Mission, the flour Guerrera. I don't know
what the tostadas are?! Had cheese and crackers last night. FBG 93.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote:
> you can make the 175 dollar balsamic by cooking down the 10 dollar bottle
> until its thick.

[]
> > BTW Good Balsamico de Modena isn't cheap! You might be able to get 250
> > mL of 8 year old for around $10, but expect to pay around $175 for 100
> > mL of a 25 year or more old (I haven't tried that, yet).

Not exactly. Fermentation takes time.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> dh eats kiippers from time to time, they smell a bit better but still not
> my thing. but then as i get older i find i like fish in general less and
> less, Lee
> [ . . . ]

Have you tried Thai, Vietnamese or been to a sushi bar?

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> dh eats kiippers from time to time, they smell a bit better but still not
> my thing. but then as i get older i find i like fish in general less and
> less, Lee

I never liked the stuff. At home we had canned tuna. I liked that okay.
And canned salmon made into patties. Hated that!

Then we moved to WA where there was fish and chips. Yuck! And on Friday in
school lunches, fish sticks. I learned to eat the fish sticks by smothering
them in the mashed potatoes that always came with.

Then in 7th grade my parents went on Weight Watchers where they ate more
white fish and liver than I care to remember.

There were also occasional salmon dinners here and there. This wasn't
canned but the real stuff with the bones in it. I never learned to like it.

Now the only fish I can eat is tuna and I don't even want that very often.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> dh eats kiippers from time to time, they smell a bit better but still not
>> my thing. but then as i get older i find i like fish in general less and
>> less, Lee
>> [ . . . ]

> Have you tried Thai, Vietnamese or been to a sushi bar?

Years ago I went out with a friend who remembered as soon as he got into my
car that he had left his good suit coat at a sushi bar. I drove him back
there to pick it up. The coat smelled so strongly of fish that we had to
put the windows down.

Then some years after that I went to a sushi bar with my husband. It reeked
equally of fish. They had a very few cooked dishes on the menu. I ordered
some kind of beef. I couldn't eat it because the seasonings tasted bad to
me. I did eat the rice. I was starving. Could have eaten several more
servings of rice but knew better than to eat that many carbs because of my
reactive hypoglycemia.

I have never been tempted to go to a sushi bar again.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

tempora in small chuncks work and suchi is not just fish its a gift from
g*d, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> dh eats kiippers from time to time, they smell a bit better but still not
>> my thing. but then as i get older i find i like fish in general less and
>> less, Lee
>> [ . . . ]

> Have you tried Thai, Vietnamese or been to a sushi bar?
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> tempora in small chuncks work and suchi is not just fish its a gift from
> g*d, Lee
> []

You may have seen my tempura coating recipe elsewhere, Lee. I like mixed
(muriowasi) sashimi, generally having one order of salmon egg and quail egg
(ikura uzura) at the end. Lots of good sake!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i even had it copied and saved until last computer crash but haven't been in
a position to make it recently so have refrained from asking for it yet
again, lol, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> tempora in small chuncks work and suchi is not just fish its a gift from
>> g*d, Lee
>> []

> You may have seen my tempura coating recipe elsewhere, Lee. I like mixed
> (muriowasi) sashimi, generally having one order of salmon egg and quail
> egg
> (ikura uzura) at the end. Lots of good sake!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> i even had it copied and saved until last computer crash but haven't been
> in a position to make it recently so have refrained from asking for it
> yet again, lol, Lee
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >> []

> > You may have seen my tempura coating recipe elsewhere, Lee. []

Tempura batter. Extracted from "Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art," by Shizuo
Tsuji. Page 235, et seq.

With tempura, the goal is to achieve a lacy golden effect, not a thick,
armor-like pancake casing!

Make the batter just before you're ready to start deep-frying. Don't let
it stand around! Don't overmix it. It should only be lightly folded
together.

Make sure the items to be coated are thoroughly dry. With the exception of
seaweed and leaves, dredge items lightly in flour before coating.

Batter recipe:

1 egg yolk
1 cup ice water
1 cup sifted flour

In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg yolk, then pour in the ice water and
give it a _few_ strokes. Add the sifted four all at once. Stroke a few
times with chopsticks or fork, just until ingredients are loosely combined.
The batter should be very lumpy. One or two quick stirs as you cook, to
keep it from separating. Make fresh batches as it gets used up.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> i even had it copied and saved until last computer crash but haven't been
>> in a position to make it recently so have refrained from asking for it
>> yet again, lol, Lee
>> >
>> > You may have seen my tempura coating recipe elsewhere, Lee. []

> Tempura batter. Extracted from "Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art," by Shizuo
> Tsuji. Page 235, et seq.
>
> With tempura, the goal is to achieve a lacy golden effect, not a thick,
> armor-like pancake casing!
>
> Make the batter just before you're ready to start deep-frying. Don't let
> it stand around! Don't overmix it. It should only be lightly folded
> together.
>
> Make sure the items to be coated are thoroughly dry. With the exception of
> seaweed and leaves, dredge items lightly in flour before coating.
>
> Batter recipe:
>
> 1 egg yolk
> 1 cup ice water
> 1 cup sifted flour
>
> In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg yolk, then pour in the ice water
> and
> give it a _few_ strokes. Add the sifted four all at once. Stroke a few
> times with chopsticks or fork, just until ingredients are loosely
> combined.
> The batter should be very lumpy. One or two quick stirs as you cook, to
> keep it from separating. Make fresh batches as it gets used up.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> "Stormmee" > wrote:
> > i even had it copied and saved until last computer crash but haven't been
> > in a position to make it recently so have refrained from asking for it
> > yet again, lol, Lee
> > >
> > > You may have seen my tempura coating recipe elsewhere, Lee. []

> Tempura batter. Extracted from "Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art," by Shizuo
> Tsuji. Page 235, et seq.
>
> With tempura, the goal is to achieve a lacy golden effect, not a thick,
> armor-like pancake casing!
>
> Make the batter just before you're ready to start deep-frying. Don't let
> it stand around! Don't overmix it. It should only be lightly folded
> together.
>
> Make sure the items to be coated are thoroughly dry. With the exception of
> seaweed and leaves, dredge items lightly in flour before coating.
>
> Batter recipe:
>
> 1 egg yolk
> 1 cup ice water
> 1 cup sifted flour
>
> In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg yolk, then pour in the ice water and
> give it a _few_ strokes. Add the sifted four all at once. Stroke a few
> times with chopsticks or fork, just until ingredients are loosely combined.
> The batter should be very lumpy. One or two quick stirs as you cook, to
> keep it from separating. Make fresh batches as it gets used up.

Wonderful book !

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> thanks, Lee

> > Tempura batter. Extracted from "Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art," by
> > Shizuo Tsuji. Page 235, et seq.
> >[]

I should have added:

Heat your oil (peanut is good) to 360 to 400 F.

Pat your fish dry, then dredge it in some rice flour (not listed above).
Shake off the excess, then dip it in the batter, and shake off the
excess again.

Lower into oil and fry until golden, turning occasionally. Don't crowd
the pan [it'll lower the heat - Nick], drain on paper towels, and sprinkle
with salt and white pepper.

This is also good for shrimp, vegetables and chiles rellenos.

ENJOY!!!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

am considering this for later this week, not sure but it is sounding very
attractive, what i am wondering is if i could use the flour made of chic
peas for this along with the rice flour, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> thanks, Lee

>> > Tempura batter. Extracted from "Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art," by
>> > Shizuo Tsuji. Page 235, et seq.
>> >[]

> I should have added:
>
> Heat your oil (peanut is good) to 360 to 400 F.
>
> Pat your fish dry, then dredge it in some rice flour (not listed above).
> Shake off the excess, then dip it in the batter, and shake off the
> excess again.
>
> Lower into oil and fry until golden, turning occasionally. Don't crowd
> the pan [it'll lower the heat - Nick], drain on paper towels, and sprinkle
> with salt and white pepper.
>
> This is also good for shrimp, vegetables and chiles rellenos.
>
> ENJOY!!!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i meant to say we have family fish fry about twice a summer... my dad
brother and uncle fry a load outdoor... they use a peice of equipment i
can't remember the name of but its a HUGE busnsen burner with a cast iron
con on/above it, used i think to melt lead or something, gets wicked hot
flash cooks fish puppies and pickles... was thinking if i could work out
this chic pea thing might be able to get uncle to try it and lower carbs for
everyone, Lee
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> am considering this for later this week, not sure but it is sounding very
> attractive, what i am wondering is if i could use the flour made of chic
> peas for this along with the rice flour, Lee
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>>> thanks, Lee

>> I should have added:
>>
>> Heat your oil (peanut is good) to 360 to 400 F.
>>
>> Pat your fish dry, then dredge it in some rice flour (not listed above).
>> Shake off the excess, then dip it in the batter, and shake off the
>> excess again.
>>
>> Lower into oil and fry until golden, turning occasionally. Don't crowd
>> the pan [it'll lower the heat - Nick], drain on paper towels, and
>> sprinkle
>> with salt and white pepper.
>>
>> This is also good for shrimp, vegetables and chiles rellenos.
>>
>> ENJOY!!!
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
>> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> am considering this for later this week, not sure but it is sounding very
> attractive, what i am wondering is if i could use the flour made of chic
> peas for this along with the rice flour, Lee
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]

I haven't tried that, Lee. Report, if you try it. Enjoy your tempura!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> i meant to say we have family fish fry about twice a summer... my dad
> brother and uncle fry a load outdoor... they use a peice of equipment i
> can't remember the name of but its a HUGE busnsen burner with a cast iron
> con on/above it, used i think to melt lead or something, gets wicked hot
> flash cooks fish puppies and pickles... was thinking if i could work out
> this chic pea thing might be able to get uncle to try it and lower carbs
> for everyone, Lee
> [ . . . ]

Jun has a couple of wok-burners like that. They can easily turn a hammered
steel wok red or more hot! Fish fry fun.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

will do, most cooking is now on hold as a heatwave will start tomorrow aftn
and go through thursday so it will be cold foods or i won't be able to
eat... i even bought suchi at wally world last night, LOL, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> am considering this for later this week, not sure but it is sounding very
>> attractive, what i am wondering is if i could use the flour made of chic
>> peas for this along with the rice flour, Lee
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> [ . . . ]

> I haven't tried that, Lee. Report, if you try it. Enjoy your tempura!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> will do, most cooking is now on hold as a heatwave will start tomorrow
> aftn and go through thursday so it will be cold foods or i won't be able
> to eat... i even bought suchi at wally world last night, LOL, Lee
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Stormmee" > wrote:
> >> am considering this for later this week, not sure but it is sounding
> >> very attractive, what i am wondering is if i could use the flour made
> >> of chic peas for this along with the rice flour, Lee
> >> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >> [ . . . ]

> > I haven't tried that, Lee. Report, if you try it. Enjoy your tempura!

We've had a nice little respite from the heat for the last couple of days.
Barely broke 90. I've bought sushi at Ralph's market, once in a while. Not
in the last year or so, though.

Have you tried bitter melon? Good in soups and lowers BG.

Keep cool!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

haven't ever tried bitter melon, it was a positive cool wave here for the
past few days right around 85/90 lower hmidity so not bad today humidity is
back up and tomorrow through thursday starts "excessive heat watch," lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> will do, most cooking is now on hold as a heatwave will start tomorrow
>> aftn and go through thursday so it will be cold foods or i won't be able
>> to eat... i even bought suchi at wally world last night, LOL, Lee
>> >
>> > I haven't tried that, Lee. Report, if you try it. Enjoy your tempura!

> We've had a nice little respite from the heat for the last couple of days.
> Barely broke 90. I've bought sushi at Ralph's market, once in a while. Not
> in the last year or so, though.
>
> Have you tried bitter melon? Good in soups and lowers BG.
>
> Keep cool!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> haven't ever tried bitter melon,[ . . . ]

May also be called bitter gourd. Asean market, produce section.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

will look for it next time we get to the one in stl, thanks, Lee...

ps recipe for this bitter stuff?
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> haven't ever tried bitter melon,[ . . . ]

> May also be called bitter gourd. Asean market, produce section.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Sardine cans: when did they go from John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 25 08-07-2014 09:01 PM
Wild Sardine, Dried? Gerry[_3_] Sushi 13 13-03-2011 03:55 PM
The last sardine cannery in the US is closing. ImStillMags General Cooking 5 06-04-2010 05:22 PM
SARDINE SOUP ? No Name General Cooking 71 21-12-2009 03:00 AM
sardine spaghetti bulka[_2_] General Cooking 10 09-07-2009 05:49 PM