FoodBanter.com

-   -   Your favorite Mexicanish foods (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/399199-your-favorite-mexicanish-foods.html)

Julie Bove 31-07-2010 06:31 AM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was very upset because Mexican
food was my favorite. I loved to eat a bean burrito with a side of beans
and rice. But that was no more! I quit eating it for a while, then I made
some stuff at home. But I was afraid to eat at most restaurants because of
all the temptations and carb laden food.

There used to be a restaurant here that made a petite calorie salad. It was
a large tossed salad with all kinds of veggies, topped with cold pinto
beans. Loved that!

Another place that is no longer there made what they called chile con queso.
It was strips of pepper and onion, chopped tomato, with seasoned ground
beef, mixed with plenty of cheese and melted in the oven. It was intended
to be a dip. I scooped it onto my plate and ate it with a fork.

I used to eat fajitas with a fork. I didn't eat the tortillas. But I
haven't tried those in a while as I fear I can't digest the meat.

Black bean soup. Love the stuff! And it doesn't spike me, provided I don't
eat a huge bowl.

At home, I use chunks of bell pepper or celery and maybe baby carrots as a
dip for espinaca con queso, chile con queso, or bean dip.

Instead of making enchiladas, I do enchilada casserole using plenty of meat,
onions and peppers between the layers. That way I can use less tortillas.

I also do bean tacos with tortillas or taco shells.

And I make taco salads without the greasy fried shell.

Jacquie 31-07-2010 06:59 AM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

When we go to our local Mexican place , I will order Taco Salad and not eat the tortilla bowl...there is a bit of refried beans in it but just enough to swipe across the bottom of the bowl. I usually get shredded chicken in it and add a plop of Sour Cream. Sometimes I will order a chicken chimichanga a La Cart and eat a little of the wrap...but usually dig the chicken and green chili out and put it on the shredded lettuce that come with it dip each bite into sour cream or guacamole. I used to eat fajitas but my old belly can't take Bell Peppers anymore :( I like Chili Rellenos....sometimes I will just have a couple of chicken flautas and a salad. I no longer can eat flans or fried ice cream for dessert.

Orlando Enrique Fiol 31-07-2010 07:39 AM

Julie Bove > wrote:
>When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was very upset because Mexican
>food was my favorite. I loved to eat a bean burrito with a side of beans
>and rice. But that was no more! I quit eating it for a while, then I made
>some stuff at home. But I was afraid to eat at most restaurants because of
>all the temptations and carb laden food.

Most of those carbs are found in Mexican antojitos, which are the foods that
have gained greatest acceptance across the border. There are, however, tons of
Mexican dishes such as mole Poblano, salsa pipian, mancha manteles, pescado a
la Veracruzana, birria, barbacoa, carnitas and carne al pastor, that
intrinsically don't use many carbs in their sauces. You just have to be
judicious with tortillas, rice and beans, treating them as sides rather than
main ingredients. Many of the U.S. Mexican dishes such as tacos, burritos,
tamales, enchiladas, tostadas, etc., stretch meats and vegetables by
surrounding them with corn or flour, rice and beans. You could even make
ensalada de nápoles or sopa de albóndigas without any carbs. Flan can easily be
made with Splenda instead of sugar and unsweetened condensed milk, which
actually exists.

Buena suerte,
Orlando

Julie Bove 31-07-2010 08:20 AM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

I used to love chili rellenos. Had a neighbor in NY who made a casserole of
them. Can't eat them now due to the egg allergy, dangit.
m...

Julie Bove 31-07-2010 08:21 AM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was very upset because Mexican
>>food was my favorite. I loved to eat a bean burrito with a side of beans
>>and rice. But that was no more! I quit eating it for a while, then I
>>made
>>some stuff at home. But I was afraid to eat at most restaurants because
>>of
>>all the temptations and carb laden food.

> Most of those carbs are found in Mexican antojitos, which are the foods
> that
> have gained greatest acceptance across the border. There are, however,
> tons of
> Mexican dishes such as mole Poblano, salsa pipian, mancha manteles,
> pescado a
> la Veracruzana, birria, barbacoa, carnitas and carne al pastor, that
> intrinsically don't use many carbs in their sauces. You just have to be
> judicious with tortillas, rice and beans, treating them as sides rather
> than
> main ingredients. Many of the U.S. Mexican dishes such as tacos, burritos,
> tamales, enchiladas, tostadas, etc., stretch meats and vegetables by
> surrounding them with corn or flour, rice and beans. You could even make
> ensalada de nápoles or sopa de albóndigas without any carbs. Flan can
> easily be
> made with Splenda instead of sugar and unsweetened condensed milk, which
> actually exists.
>
> Buena suerte,
> Orlando

Thanks!

Stormmee 31-07-2010 11:51 AM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

my favorite food is chili rellnos, but what i figured out was that the spice
cumen is what i really like in most mexican foods, so armed with this i can
put it in anything and not feel deprived. I also have switched almost
exclusively to brown rice, still carbs but less and since it is more
filling you need to eat less,

Janet Wilder[_1_] 31-07-2010 05:02 PM

Julie Bove wrote:
> When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was very upset because Mexican
> food was my favorite. I loved to eat a bean burrito with a side of beans
> and rice. But that was no more! I quit eating it for a while, then I made
> some stuff at home. But I was afraid to eat at most restaurants because of
> all the temptations and carb laden food.
>
> There used to be a restaurant here that made a petite calorie salad. It was
> a large tossed salad with all kinds of veggies, topped with cold pinto
> beans. Loved that!
>
> Another place that is no longer there made what they called chile con queso.
> It was strips of pepper and onion, chopped tomato, with seasoned ground
> beef, mixed with plenty of cheese and melted in the oven. It was intended
> to be a dip. I scooped it onto my plate and ate it with a fork.
>
> I used to eat fajitas with a fork. I didn't eat the tortillas. But I
> haven't tried those in a while as I fear I can't digest the meat.
>
> Black bean soup. Love the stuff! And it doesn't spike me, provided I don't
> eat a huge bowl.
>
> At home, I use chunks of bell pepper or celery and maybe baby carrots as a
> dip for espinaca con queso, chile con queso, or bean dip.
>
> Instead of making enchiladas, I do enchilada casserole using plenty of meat,
> onions and peppers between the layers. That way I can use less tortillas.
>
> I also do bean tacos with tortillas or taco shells.
>
> And I make taco salads without the greasy fried shell.

We use Mission's low carb tortillas. Each small tortilla has a net carb
count of 5 grams. I use them to make chicken enchiladas (2 tortillas in
a serving) and I make my own enchilada sauce so I have a carb count on
that. No rice, no beans, though we do eat beans when there are no other
starches on the menu.

I have also made soft tacos using the Mission tortillas. The unopened
packages freeze well, too.

When we go out to a Tex Mex (which is the majority of restaurants down
here in Borderland) DH orders fajitas and doesn't eat the tortillas.
They have chicken fajitas as well as beef, so you might try the chicken
ones if you think you'll have problems with the beef.

He also asks them to hold the rice and beans and serve him a small salad
instead.

Hope this helps.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Janet Wilder[_1_] 31-07-2010 05:04 PM

Stormmee wrote:
> my favorite food is chili rellnos, but what i figured out was that the spice
> cumen is what i really like in most mexican foods, so armed with this i can
> put it in anything and not feel deprived. I also have switched almost
> exclusively to brown rice, still carbs but less and since it is more
> filling you need to eat less,

We tried the brown rice. Same effect as white rice on DH's BGs. We
remain riceless.

Stormmee 31-07-2010 06:02 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

sorry to hear tht, but that is one of the more fascinating things about
this, what affects one does not affect another, Lee

Jacquie 31-07-2010 06:09 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

My Sister makes very tasty Carnitas.....she learned from her Hispanic
Husbands Family. When we go over and she is serving them I will take low
carb tortillas with me....
Thanks for the info on Flans....I'll check it out. My Daughter in-law was
born in Mexico..she was three when they moved to AZ....but still has many
relatives in Mexico that she visits....she says she can't find a good flan
in Scottsdale so has to go back to Mexico to get a good one...or have her
Mom make one for her...LOL.

Jacquie 31-07-2010 06:13 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

I'm not big cumin fan for all Mexican Dishes...I do like it in Chili. I
don't use any seasoning in my Chili Relleno Casserole just eggs cheese and
chilies, and a bit of salt...I use a nice salsa on it for seasoning. By the
way I never use flour in my Chili Relleno Casserole...it just adds carbs and
it really isn't needed.

Jacquie 31-07-2010 06:13 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

I'm rice less too. I can eat a small amount of potatoes but not rice.

Jacquie 31-07-2010 06:15 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

I always order A La Cart. I use corn tortillas for my enchiladas but only
eat two so the carb count isn't very high at all.

Orlando Enrique Fiol 31-07-2010 07:50 PM

Stormmee > wrote:
>I also have switched almost exclusively to brown rice, still carbs but less

and since it is more filling you need to eat less,

Being Hispanic, I grew up enjoying white rice. But, I've entirely switched to
brown basmati and definitely notice a pleasant difference.

Orlando

Janet Wilder[_1_] 31-07-2010 08:07 PM

Jacquie wrote:
> I'm rice less too. I can eat a small amount of potatoes but not rice.

Yes. DH finds he can have a controlled serving of potato without any
problems, but not rice. A dietitian I once met said something about
potatoes having a longer carbohydrate chain, whatever that means. That's
how she explained some diabetics being better able to tolerate potato
than other starches.

Stormmee 31-07-2010 08:27 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

we are currently eating a short grained brown version from costco, and the
grains look suitable to make sushi with, we haven't ever made them even with
white, but i purchased some made with brown rice the other day and they were
quite tastey, Lee

Stormmee 31-07-2010 08:28 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

this is the part of this i find extremely interesting, like when Nick, gave
me a ration because i can eat bananas with no spike, it was one of the
first things i tested for when i was testing myself, Lee

Julie Bove 31-07-2010 08:37 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> my favorite food is chili rellnos, but what i figured out was that the
>> spice cumen is what i really like in most mexican foods, so armed with
>> this i can put it in anything and not feel deprived. I also have
>> switched almost exclusively to brown rice, still carbs but less and
>> since it is more filling you need to eat less,

> We tried the brown rice. Same effect as white rice on DH's BGs. We remain
> riceless.

White rice works best for me. Apparently I don't digest the brown very
well. I make a Spanish rice with ground beef and lots of vegetables. Very
little rice.

Julie Bove 31-07-2010 08:38 PM

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> we are currently eating a short grained brown version from costco, and the
> grains look suitable to make sushi with, we haven't ever made them even
> with white, but i purchased some made with brown rice the other day and
> they were quite tastey, Lee

I bought a white and wild mix from Costco. I really liked it in a crockpot
chicken dish but Angela and husband did not.

Julie Bove 31-07-2010 08:40 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was very upset because
>> Mexican food was my favorite. I loved to eat a bean burrito with a side
>> of beans and rice. But that was no more! I quit eating it for a while,
>> then I made some stuff at home. But I was afraid to eat at most
>> restaurants because of all the temptations and carb laden food.
>>
>> There used to be a restaurant here that made a petite calorie salad. It
>> was a large tossed salad with all kinds of veggies, topped with cold
>> pinto beans. Loved that!
>>
>> Another place that is no longer there made what they called chile con
>> queso. It was strips of pepper and onion, chopped tomato, with seasoned
>> ground beef, mixed with plenty of cheese and melted in the oven. It was
>> intended to be a dip. I scooped it onto my plate and ate it with a fork.
>>
>> I used to eat fajitas with a fork. I didn't eat the tortillas. But I
>> haven't tried those in a while as I fear I can't digest the meat.
>>
>> Black bean soup. Love the stuff! And it doesn't spike me, provided I
>> don't eat a huge bowl.
>>
>> At home, I use chunks of bell pepper or celery and maybe baby carrots as
>> a dip for espinaca con queso, chile con queso, or bean dip.
>>
>> Instead of making enchiladas, I do enchilada casserole using plenty of
>> meat, onions and peppers between the layers. That way I can use less
>> tortillas.
>>
>> I also do bean tacos with tortillas or taco shells.
>>
>> And I make taco salads without the greasy fried shell.

> We use Mission's low carb tortillas. Each small tortilla has a net carb
> count of 5 grams. I use them to make chicken enchiladas (2 tortillas in a
> serving) and I make my own enchilada sauce so I have a carb count on
> that. No rice, no beans, though we do eat beans when there are no other
> starches on the menu.

I've seen those but I think they have soy in them so no good for me.

> I have also made soft tacos using the Mission tortillas. The unopened
> packages freeze well, too.
>
> When we go out to a Tex Mex (which is the majority of restaurants down
> here in Borderland) DH orders fajitas and doesn't eat the tortillas. They
> have chicken fajitas as well as beef, so you might try the chicken ones if
> you think you'll have problems with the beef.

I just don't like chicken. I can eat it if it's mixed into something like a
casserole, but biting into a piece of chicken just sets my teeth on edge.

> He also asks them to hold the rice and beans and serve him a small salad
> instead.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Julie Bove 31-07-2010 08:40 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I always order A La Cart. I use corn tortillas for my enchiladas but only
>eat two so the carb count isn't very high at all.

That's what I do in restaurants.

Orlando Enrique Fiol 31-07-2010 09:00 PM

Jacquie > wrote:
>My Sister makes very tasty Carnitas.....she learned from her Hispanic
>Husbands Family. When we go over and she is serving them I will take low
>carb tortillas with me....

That's exactly the low-key eating environment I prefer. You're not requiring
your sister to provide tortilla substitutes or not serve them altogether;
you're also not bringing so much food with you that your sister feels insulted.
I like that.

>Thanks for the info on Flans....I'll check it out. My Daughter in-law was
>born in Mexico..she was three when they moved to AZ....but still has many
>relatives in Mexico that she visits....she says she can't find a good flan
>in Scottsdale so has to go back to Mexico to get a good one...or have her
>Mom make one for her...LOL.

For me, flan cannot taste eggy. Otherwise, it's hard to go wrong in my book.

Orlando

Orlando Enrique Fiol 31-07-2010 09:02 PM

Jacquie > wrote:
>I'm rice less too. I can eat a small amount of potatoes but not rice.

I save my potato quota for home made French fries, grilled or baked potatoes on
occasion. But, I don't depend on them as a consistent side dish. Rice, on the
other hand, is useless to try and give up; I can do it for a few weeks, but
feel too deprived. Since switching to brown rice and eating less of it, I'm
doing fine.

Orlando

Jacquie 31-07-2010 09:11 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was very upset because
>> Mexican food was my favorite. I loved to eat a bean burrito with a side
>> of beans and rice. But that was no more! I quit eating it for a while,
>> then I made some stuff at home. But I was afraid to eat at most
>> restaurants because of all the temptations and carb laden food.
>>
>> There used to be a restaurant here that made a petite calorie salad. It
>> was a large tossed salad with all kinds of veggies, topped with cold
>> pinto beans. Loved that!
>>
>> Another place that is no longer there made what they called chile con
>> queso. It was strips of pepper and onion, chopped tomato, with seasoned
>> ground beef, mixed with plenty of cheese and melted in the oven. It was
>> intended to be a dip. I scooped it onto my plate and ate it with a fork.
>>
>> I used to eat fajitas with a fork. I didn't eat the tortillas. But I
>> haven't tried those in a while as I fear I can't digest the meat.
>>
>> Black bean soup. Love the stuff! And it doesn't spike me, provided I
>> don't eat a huge bowl.
>>
>> At home, I use chunks of bell pepper or celery and maybe baby carrots as
>> a dip for espinaca con queso, chile con queso, or bean dip.
>>
>> Instead of making enchiladas, I do enchilada casserole using plenty of
>> meat, onions and peppers between the layers. That way I can use less
>> tortillas.
>>
>> I also do bean tacos with tortillas or taco shells.
>>
>> And I make taco salads without the greasy fried shell.

> We use Mission's low carb tortillas. Each small tortilla has a net carb
> count of 5 grams. I use them to make chicken enchiladas (2 tortillas in a
> serving) and I make my own enchilada sauce so I have a carb count on
> that. No rice, no beans, though we do eat beans when there are no other
> starches on the menu.
>
> I have also made soft tacos using the Mission tortillas. The unopened
> packages freeze well, too.
>
> When we go out to a Tex Mex (which is the majority of restaurants down
> here in Borderland) DH orders fajitas and doesn't eat the tortillas. They
> have chicken fajitas as well as beef, so you might try the chicken ones if
> you think you'll have problems with the beef.
>
> He also asks them to hold the rice and beans and serve him a small salad
> instead.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Janet have you had any problems with your low carb tortillas sticking? I did
and wrote to the Mission people...they said they were aware of the problem
and working on fixing it. They sent me coupons.

Stormmee 31-07-2010 10:12 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

i never met a rice i didn't like, Lee

Nick Cramer 01-08-2010 12:57 AM

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Stormmee wrote:
> > my favorite food is chili rellnos, but what i figured out was that the
> > spice cumen is what i really like in most mexican foods, so armed with
> > this i can put it in anything and not feel deprived. I also have
> > switched almost exclusively to brown rice, still carbs but less and
> > since it is more filling you need to eat less,

> We tried the brown rice. Same effect as white rice on DH's BGs. We
> remain riceless.

My experience is the same, Janet. Brown rice may have more nutritional
value, but rice = sugar.

I love Chiles Rellenos, too!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Nick Cramer 01-08-2010 01:03 AM

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> this is the part of this i find extremely interesting, like when Nick,
> gave me a ration because i can eat bananas with no spike, it was one of
> the first things i tested for when i was testing myself, Lee
> [ . . . ]

Sorry if it seemed like I was giving you a ration, Lee. I'm just jealous,
because if I eat more than one inch of a banana, I spike! @#$%^&

Julie Bove 01-08-2010 04:15 AM

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i never met a rice i didn't like, Lee

I have. Unsalted brown rice that has then been dry fried in a pan until
crispy.

Stormmee 01-08-2010 09:36 AM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

sorry Nick, i left out the LOL, part of the reason i remembered it is that
if i could only have say five foods on a desset island the big banana would
be second on the list, ... and on the subject of bananas... i have a general
qustion but to you specifically,

can you eat or have you tried eating the banana with another food so as to
lower the overal carb impact on your bg, or does this work for bg issues...
i asked as this just occured to me this aftn... considering net carbs, what
if you at the banana with say almond butter which has a pretty good amount
of fiber... and before you ask, i can't remember atm how many carbs are in
almond butter, this just occured to me earlier and i didn't get a chance to
ask dh before he left,

Stormmee 01-08-2010 10:10 AM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

sounds unattractive thats for sure, Lee

Janet Wilder[_1_] 01-08-2010 08:25 PM

Jacquie wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was very upset because
>>> Mexican food was my favorite. I loved to eat a bean burrito with a
>>> side of beans and rice. But that was no more! I quit eating it for
>>> a while, then I made some stuff at home. But I was afraid to eat at
>>> most restaurants because of all the temptations and carb laden food.
>>>
>>> There used to be a restaurant here that made a petite calorie salad.
>>> It was a large tossed salad with all kinds of veggies, topped with
>>> cold pinto beans. Loved that!
>>>
>>> Another place that is no longer there made what they called chile con
>>> queso. It was strips of pepper and onion, chopped tomato, with
>>> seasoned ground beef, mixed with plenty of cheese and melted in the
>>> oven. It was intended to be a dip. I scooped it onto my plate and
>>> ate it with a fork.
>>>
>>> I used to eat fajitas with a fork. I didn't eat the tortillas. But
>>> I haven't tried those in a while as I fear I can't digest the meat.
>>>
>>> Black bean soup. Love the stuff! And it doesn't spike me, provided
>>> I don't eat a huge bowl.
>>>
>>> At home, I use chunks of bell pepper or celery and maybe baby carrots
>>> as a dip for espinaca con queso, chile con queso, or bean dip.
>>>
>>> Instead of making enchiladas, I do enchilada casserole using plenty
>>> of meat, onions and peppers between the layers. That way I can use
>>> less tortillas.
>>>
>>> I also do bean tacos with tortillas or taco shells.
>>>
>>> And I make taco salads without the greasy fried shell.

>> We use Mission's low carb tortillas. Each small tortilla has a net
>> carb count of 5 grams. I use them to make chicken enchiladas (2
>> tortillas in a serving) and I make my own enchilada sauce so I have a
>> carb count on that. No rice, no beans, though we do eat beans when
>> there are no other starches on the menu.
>>
>> I have also made soft tacos using the Mission tortillas. The unopened
>> packages freeze well, too.
>>
>> When we go out to a Tex Mex (which is the majority of restaurants down
>> here in Borderland) DH orders fajitas and doesn't eat the tortillas.
>> They have chicken fajitas as well as beef, so you might try the
>> chicken ones if you think you'll have problems with the beef.
>>
>> He also asks them to hold the rice and beans and serve him a small
>> salad instead.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>>

> Janet have you had any problems with your low carb tortillas sticking? I
> did and wrote to the Mission people...they said they were aware of the
> problem and working on fixing it. They sent me coupons.

Only once or twice. I keep them refrigerated once they have been opened
and I find if they are cold there is less chance of sticking. Try it.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 01-08-2010 08:27 PM

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> my favorite food is chili rellnos, but what i figured out was that the
>>> spice cumen is what i really like in most mexican foods, so armed with
>>> this i can put it in anything and not feel deprived. I also have
>>> switched almost exclusively to brown rice, still carbs but less and
>>> since it is more filling you need to eat less,

>> We tried the brown rice. Same effect as white rice on DH's BGs. We
>> remain riceless.

> My experience is the same, Janet. Brown rice may have more nutritional
> value, but rice = sugar.
>
> I love Chiles Rellenos, too!

Could one make chili rellanos without the batter or just a little corn
starch maybe to get the egg to stick?

If you are stuffing them with cheese or meat (I love the fiesta kind
with the cinnamon flavor in the meat), it seams to me that the main carb
count would be from the batter on the outside of the chili, right?

Jacquie 01-08-2010 10:24 PM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:

>>> We use Mission's low carb tortillas. Each small tortilla has a net carb
>>> count of 5 grams. I use them to make chicken enchiladas (2 tortillas in
>>> a serving) and I make my own enchilada sauce so I have a carb count on
>>> that. No rice, no beans, though we do eat beans when there are no other
>>> starches on the menu.
>>>
>>> I have also made soft tacos using the Mission tortillas. The unopened
>>> packages freeze well, too.
>>>
>>> When we go out to a Tex Mex (which is the majority of restaurants down
>>> here in Borderland) DH orders fajitas and doesn't eat the tortillas.
>>> They have chicken fajitas as well as beef, so you might try the chicken
>>> ones if you think you'll have problems with the beef.
>>>
>>> He also asks them to hold the rice and beans and serve him a small salad
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Janet Wilder
>>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>>>

>> Janet have you had any problems with your low carb tortillas sticking? I
>> did and wrote to the Mission people...they said they were aware of the
>> problem and working on fixing it. They sent me coupons.
>>

> Only once or twice. I keep them refrigerated once they have been opened
> and I find if they are cold there is less chance of sticking. Try it.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

I will Thanks

Nick Cramer 01-08-2010 11:59 PM

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> sorry Nick, i left out the LOL, part of the reason i remembered it is
> that if i could only have say five foods on a desset island the big
> banana would be second on the list, ... and on the subject of bananas...
> i have a general qustion but to you specifically,
>
> can you eat or have you tried eating the banana with another food so as
> to lower the overal carb impact on your bg, or does this work for bg
> issues... i asked as this just occured to me this aftn... considering net
> carbs, what if you at the banana with say almond butter which has a
> pretty good amount of fiber... and before you ask, i can't remember atm
> how many carbs are in almond butter, this just occured to me earlier and
> i didn't get a chance to ask dh before he left,
> [ . . . ]

Well, hmmmmph! I'm not even worth a LOL anymore <boo hoo - sob>

Jun makes a wonderful Thai dish called Gluey Tord. Cut a banana in half
lengthwise, then into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. Dredge them in flour,
shredded coconut, sesame seeds and other stuff, then deep-fry. Those things
are so good! If I have more than about a half dozen pieces, I spike.

I like almond butter and mayonnaise on crackers as a midnight snack.

Nick Cramer 02-08-2010 12:23 AM

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >> We tried the brown rice. Same effect as white rice on DH's BGs. We
> >> remain riceless.

> > My experience is the same, Janet. Brown rice may have more nutritional
> > value, but rice = sugar.
> >
> > I love Chiles Rellenos, too!

> Could one make chili rellanos without the batter or just a little corn
> starch maybe to get the egg to stick?
>
> If you are stuffing them with cheese or meat (I love the fiesta kind
> with the cinnamon flavor in the meat), it seams to me that the main carb
> count would be from the batter on the outside of the chili, right?

Jun dips them in a tempura batter. Very light coat and doesn't spike me.

Tempura batter

INGREDIENTS

1 cup plus 2 Tbs rice flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sherry vinegar [or 1 Tbs rice vinegar - Nick}
2 tsp sesame oil
1-1/2 tsp grape seed, corn, or other neutral oil
3/4 tsp salt [sea or kosher - Nick]
3/4 cup cold water

METHOD

Whisk the vinegar, oils, salt and water together in a large mixing bowl, to
emulsify. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, then add
them to the mixing bowl and stir gently until the mixture is smooth.

Heat your oil (peanut is good) to 360 to 400 F.

Pat your fish dry, then dredge it in some rice flour (not listed above).
Shake off the excess, then dip it in the batter, and shake off the
excess again.

Lower into oil and fry until golden, turning occasionally. Don't crowd
the pan [it'll lower the heat - Nick], drain on paper towels, and sprinkle
with salt and white pepper.

This is also good for shrimp, vegetables and chiles rellenos.

If you try it, please come back with a report?

Nick Cramer 02-08-2010 12:30 AM

"Jacquie" > wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> > Jacquie wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Janet have you had any problems with your low carb tortillas sticking?
> >> I did and wrote to the Mission people...they said they were aware of
> >> the problem and working on fixing it. They sent me coupons.

> > Only once or twice. I keep them refrigerated once they have been opened
> > and I find if they are cold there is less chance of sticking. Try it.

> I will Thanks

I do my tortillas in a well-seasoned cast iron pan. Nothing sticks!

Ozgirl 02-08-2010 12:45 AM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:

>> Janet have you had any problems with your low carb tortillas sticking? I
>> did and wrote to the Mission people...they said they were aware of the
>> problem and working on fixing it. They sent me coupons.

> Only once or twice. I keep them refrigerated once they have been opened
> and I find if they are cold there is less chance of sticking. Try it.

Thanks for that. I hate it when I make burritos for the kids and the
tortillas stick and tear.

Ozgirl 02-08-2010 12:47 AM

Your favorite Mexicanish foods

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> Jun dips them in a tempura batter. Very light coat and doesn't spike me.
>
> Tempura batter
>
> INGREDIENTS
>
> 1 cup plus 2 Tbs rice flour
> 1/4 tsp baking soda
> 1/4 tsp baking powder
> 2 tsp sherry vinegar [or 1 Tbs rice vinegar - Nick}
> 2 tsp sesame oil
> 1-1/2 tsp grape seed, corn, or other neutral oil
> 3/4 tsp salt [sea or kosher - Nick]
> 3/4 cup cold water
>
> METHOD
>
> Whisk the vinegar, oils, salt and water together in a large mixing bowl,
> emulsify. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, then
> add
> them to the mixing bowl and stir gently until the mixture is smooth.
>
> Heat your oil (peanut is good) to 360 to 400 F.
>
> Pat your fish dry, then dredge it in some rice flour (not listed above).
> Shake off the excess, then dip it in the batter, and shake off the
> excess again.
>
> Lower into oil and fry until golden, turning occasionally. Don't crowd
> the pan [it'll lower the heat - Nick], drain on paper towels, and sprinkle
> with salt and white pepper.
>
> This is also good for shrimp, vegetables and chiles rellenos.
>
> If you try it, please come back with a report?

Thanks for that Nick. My daughter loves tempura and we both bemoaned the
fact that we couldn't find a home made recipe or commercial mix that was
anything other than bland. Our local Japanese eatery has wonderful tempura.

Nick Cramer 02-08-2010 01:02 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > Jun dips them in a tempura batter. Very light coat and doesn't spike
> > me.
> >
> > Tempura batter
> >[]
> > If you try it, please come back with a report?

> Thanks for that Nick. My daughter loves tempura and we both bemoaned the
> fact that we couldn't find a home made recipe or commercial mix that was
> anything other than bland. Our local Japanese eatery has wonderful
> tempura.

I hope Jasmine likes it as much as I do, Ozgirl (OK, you, too). Looking
forward to a report from down under!

Julie Bove 02-08-2010 05:32 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Jacquie wrote:

>>> Janet have you had any problems with your low carb tortillas sticking? I
>>> did and wrote to the Mission people...they said they were aware of the
>>> problem and working on fixing it. They sent me coupons.

>> Only once or twice. I keep them refrigerated once they have been opened
>> and I find if they are cold there is less chance of sticking. Try it.

> Thanks for that. I hate it when I make burritos for the kids and the
> tortillas stick and tear.

I gave up on burritos. Never could make them right. I just do tacos now.