Old 25-07-2010, 07:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Update on the meatloaf

On Jul 25, 12:30*am, "Julie Bove" wrote:
"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"atec77" wrote in message
On 24/07/2010 6:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
*wrote in message

"Julie *wrote in message

At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. *I had
difficulty getting it out of the oven. *Why? *There was an alarming
amount of liquid that had seeped out from the veggies. *I took the
loaves
up and put them on plates and they immediately sucked up the liquid
as
they cooled.

I cook my meatloaf on a rack in a pan. There is always some kind of
liquid
comes out of a meatloaf - usually fat, even with low fat meat. I
cover
the
pan loosely with foil (so it doesn't touch the meat. Take the foil
off
at
the last and cook a few minutes more . Then I add some thick BBQ
sauce
over the top, you lose some but its still tasty.

I think this stuff would have dripped through a rack.
*Not if it is in a pan

*It was pretty soft
until baked.

I do mine on cookie sheets.

I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. *I take a
long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
lots hanging over the outside. *When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
and out onto a platter.

When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
went over boiled potatoes. **sigh*

I do mini ones for two reasons. *They cook faster. *And I can't add an egg
as a binder so they tend not to hold together.

One of my favorite things to make as a kid was meatloaf ala mode. *I made
the meatloaf in a round cake pan, cut it in wedges and then topped each
wedge with a scoop of mashed potatoes.- Hide quoted text -

a little bean flour works well as a binder instead of eggs, if one
likes the taste

Old 25-07-2010, 10:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message

[...]

One of my daughters specialties when she was a young teen was meatloaf made
in muffin tins...after muffin loaves were done she would turn the tin upside
down and drop the meatloaves onto a baking sheet..then would frost them with
mashed potatoes...put them in the oven, while she heated cheddar cheese soup
and added peas to it then would plated the meatloaf and pour the cheddar
cheese pea sauce over it. She got it from a kids cookbook....her Dad loved
it

Old 25-07-2010, 10:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message

[...]

Mmmmmmm, what's not to love. :-)

Cheri

Old 26-07-2010, 02:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

You can solve the problem of fluid seeping from the veggies by sauteeing
them separately and then letting them cool before adding to the meat.

Old 26-07-2010, 03:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

You can solve the problem of fluid seeping from the veggies by sauteeing
them separately and then letting them cool before adding to the meat.

And then draining in a colander over paper towel helps too.