Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Update on the meatloaf

First let me say, do not try to make a huge batch of individual meatloaves,
a double batch of oven baked chicken teriyaki and a pan of rice all at the
same time. That's what we did. Yep. We be stupid.

For the most part the meatloaf came out well. Taste and texture is fine. A
few loaves did not hold together very well. But I think that is because it
wasn't mixed well. And perhaps I once again used a few too many veggies. I
had Angela mix it and she didn't do a very good job. I hate getting my
hands in there so I used a big spoon.

I didn't measure but just sort of threw things in. Started with about 2
pounds of grass fed beef, 7% fat. I used a couple of handfuls of gluten
free oats that had been whizzed in the food processor. I then dumped this
into the huge, flat pasta bowl. On top of this went a single serve bottle
of V8 juice and some pureed vegetables. I bought enough fresh spinach
leaves from the salad bar to almost fill the small salad container. I
tossed those in with 4 large cremini mushrooms, most of a large onion and
another small chunk from another onion (had those on the veggie drawer), 2
ribs of celery, one green pepper, one orange pepper and a large tomato (also
had that in the veggie drawer and it was about to go bad). Also two single
serve containers of the baby food squash. Gerber.

I let the oats soak in the veggie mix and juice for a little while then
added the meat, plenty of Italian seasoning, salt, plenty of freshly ground
black pepper, then shaped into loaves. Angela then liberally covered the
tops with ketchup. Yes, the regular stuff that is loaded with HFCS. I used
to use the kind sweetened with Splenda but it became increasingly hard to
find and was expensive. I can get a three pack of huge bottles of the real
stuff at Costco for cheap. We can't eat that much before it expires. We
keep two bottles and give one to the food bank. Still not sure we'll finish
the last one. We just opened it today. Chili sauce is excellent on this
but the goal is to get Angela to eat it and Angela loves ketchup!

The recipe that I loosely followed said to bake at 350 for an hour. But...
The teriyaki was supposed to bake at 425 for one hour. I knew this was too
much time for the teriyaki. It was actually done at about 400 minutes.

At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. I had difficulty
getting it out of the oven. Why? There was an alarming amount of liquid
that had seeped out from the veggies. I took the loaves up and put them on
plates and they immediately sucked up the liquid as they cooled.

Angela commented many times that the meatloaves looked and smelled good.
She just went into the kitchen and asked for more teriyaki. She also asked
for some meatloaf. I said she could have as much as she wanted. She likes
it! We have a winner!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Dang! Extra zero! That should say 40 minutes.
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> First let me say, do not try to make a huge batch of individual
> meatloaves, a double batch of oven baked chicken teriyaki and a pan of
> rice all at the same time. That's what we did. Yep. We be stupid.
>
> For the most part the meatloaf came out well. Taste and texture is fine.
> A few loaves did not hold together very well. But I think that is because
> it wasn't mixed well. And perhaps I once again used a few too many
> veggies. I had Angela mix it and she didn't do a very good job. I hate
> getting my hands in there so I used a big spoon.
>
> I didn't measure but just sort of threw things in. Started with about 2
> pounds of grass fed beef, 7% fat. I used a couple of handfuls of gluten
> free oats that had been whizzed in the food processor. I then dumped this
> into the huge, flat pasta bowl. On top of this went a single serve bottle
> of V8 juice and some pureed vegetables. I bought enough fresh spinach
> leaves from the salad bar to almost fill the small salad container. I
> tossed those in with 4 large cremini mushrooms, most of a large onion and
> another small chunk from another onion (had those on the veggie drawer), 2
> ribs of celery, one green pepper, one orange pepper and a large tomato
> (also had that in the veggie drawer and it was about to go bad). Also two
> single serve containers of the baby food squash. Gerber.
>
> I let the oats soak in the veggie mix and juice for a little while then
> added the meat, plenty of Italian seasoning, salt, plenty of freshly
> ground black pepper, then shaped into loaves. Angela then liberally
> covered the tops with ketchup. Yes, the regular stuff that is loaded with
> HFCS. I used to use the kind sweetened with Splenda but it became
> increasingly hard to find and was expensive. I can get a three pack of
> huge bottles of the real stuff at Costco for cheap. We can't eat that
> much before it expires. We keep two bottles and give one to the food
> bank. Still not sure we'll finish the last one. We just opened it today.
> Chili sauce is excellent on this but the goal is to get Angela to eat it
> and Angela loves ketchup!
>
> The recipe that I loosely followed said to bake at 350 for an hour.
> But... The teriyaki was supposed to bake at 425 for one hour. I knew this
> was too much time for the teriyaki. It was actually done at about 400
> minutes.
>
> At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. I had
> difficulty getting it out of the oven. Why? There was an alarming amount
> of liquid that had seeped out from the veggies. I took the loaves up and
> put them on plates and they immediately sucked up the liquid as they
> cooled.
>
> Angela commented many times that the meatloaves looked and smelled good.
> She just went into the kitchen and asked for more teriyaki. She also
> asked for some meatloaf. I said she could have as much as she wanted.
> She likes it! We have a winner!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

good job, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> First let me say, do not try to make a huge batch of individual
> meatloaves, a double batch of oven baked chicken teriyaki and a pan of
> rice all at the same time. That's what we did. Yep. We be stupid.
>
> For the most part the meatloaf came out well. Taste and texture is fine.
> A few loaves did not hold together very well. But I think that is because
> it wasn't mixed well. And perhaps I once again used a few too many
> veggies. I had Angela mix it and she didn't do a very good job. I hate
> getting my hands in there so I used a big spoon.
>
> I didn't measure but just sort of threw things in. Started with about 2
> pounds of grass fed beef, 7% fat. I used a couple of handfuls of gluten
> free oats that had been whizzed in the food processor. I then dumped this
> into the huge, flat pasta bowl. On top of this went a single serve bottle
> of V8 juice and some pureed vegetables. I bought enough fresh spinach
> leaves from the salad bar to almost fill the small salad container. I
> tossed those in with 4 large cremini mushrooms, most of a large onion and
> another small chunk from another onion (had those on the veggie drawer), 2
> ribs of celery, one green pepper, one orange pepper and a large tomato
> (also had that in the veggie drawer and it was about to go bad). Also two
> single serve containers of the baby food squash. Gerber.
>
> I let the oats soak in the veggie mix and juice for a little while then
> added the meat, plenty of Italian seasoning, salt, plenty of freshly
> ground black pepper, then shaped into loaves. Angela then liberally
> covered the tops with ketchup. Yes, the regular stuff that is loaded with
> HFCS. I used to use the kind sweetened with Splenda but it became
> increasingly hard to find and was expensive. I can get a three pack of
> huge bottles of the real stuff at Costco for cheap. We can't eat that
> much before it expires. We keep two bottles and give one to the food
> bank. Still not sure we'll finish the last one. We just opened it today.
> Chili sauce is excellent on this but the goal is to get Angela to eat it
> and Angela loves ketchup!
>
> The recipe that I loosely followed said to bake at 350 for an hour.
> But... The teriyaki was supposed to bake at 425 for one hour. I knew this
> was too much time for the teriyaki. It was actually done at about 400
> minutes.
>
> At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. I had
> difficulty getting it out of the oven. Why? There was an alarming amount
> of liquid that had seeped out from the veggies. I took the loaves up and
> put them on plates and they immediately sucked up the liquid as they
> cooled.
>
> Angela commented many times that the meatloaves looked and smelled good.
> She just went into the kitchen and asked for more teriyaki. She also
> asked for some meatloaf. I said she could have as much as she wanted.
> She likes it! We have a winner!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

figured that, lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> today. Chili sauce is excellent on this but the goal is to get Angela to
>> eat it and Angela loves ketchup!
>>
>> The recipe that I loosely followed said to bake at 350 for an hour.
>> But... The teriyaki was supposed to bake at 425 for one hour. I knew
>> this was too much time for the teriyaki. It was actually done at about
>> 400 minutes.
>>
>> At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. I had
>> difficulty getting it out of the oven. Why? There was an alarming
>> amount of liquid that had seeped out from the veggies. I took the loaves
>> up and put them on plates and they immediately sucked up the liquid as
>> they cooled.
>>
>> Angela commented many times that the meatloaves looked and smelled good.
>> She just went into the kitchen and asked for more teriyaki. She also
>> asked for some meatloaf. I said she could have as much as she wanted.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. I had
> difficulty getting it out of the oven. Why? There was an alarming amount
> of liquid that had seeped out from the veggies. I took the loaves up and
> put them on plates and they immediately sucked up the liquid as they
> cooled.

I cook my meatloaf on a rack in a pan. There is always some kind of liquid
comes out of a meatloaf - usually fat, even with low fat meat. I cover the
pan loosely with foil (so it doesn't touch the meat. Take the foil off at
the last and cook a few minutes more . Then I add some thick BBQ sauce over
the top, you lose some but its still tasty.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. I had
>> difficulty getting it out of the oven. Why? There was an alarming
>> amount of liquid that had seeped out from the veggies. I took the loaves
>> up and put them on plates and they immediately sucked up the liquid as
>> they cooled.

> I cook my meatloaf on a rack in a pan. There is always some kind of liquid
> comes out of a meatloaf - usually fat, even with low fat meat. I cover the
> pan loosely with foil (so it doesn't touch the meat. Take the foil off at
> the last and cook a few minutes more . Then I add some thick BBQ sauce
> over the top, you lose some but its still tasty.

I think this stuff would have dripped through a rack. It was pretty soft
until baked.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. I had
>>> difficulty getting it out of the oven. Why? There was an alarming
>>> amount of liquid that had seeped out from the veggies. I took the
>>> loaves up and put them on plates and they immediately sucked up the
>>> liquid as they cooled.

>> I cook my meatloaf on a rack in a pan. There is always some kind of
>> liquid comes out of a meatloaf - usually fat, even with low fat meat. I
>> cover the pan loosely with foil (so it doesn't touch the meat. Take the
>> foil off at the last and cook a few minutes more . Then I add some thick
>> BBQ sauce over the top, you lose some but its still tasty.

> I think this stuff would have dripped through a rack. It was pretty soft
> until baked.

Nice gravy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:11:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I didn't measure but just sort of threw things in. Started with about 2
>pounds of grass fed beef, 7% fat. I used a couple of handfuls of gluten
>free oats that had been whizzed in the food processor. I then dumped this
>into the huge, flat pasta bowl. On top of this went a single serve bottle
>of V8 juice and some pureed vegetables. I bought enough fresh spinach
>leaves from the salad bar to almost fill the small salad container. I
>tossed those in with 4 large cremini mushrooms, most of a large onion and
>another small chunk from another onion (had those on the veggie drawer), 2
>ribs of celery, one green pepper, one orange pepper and a large tomato (also
>had that in the veggie drawer and it was about to go bad). Also two single
>serve containers of the baby food squash. Gerber.

I bet it was the spinach combined with the juice that produced too
much liquid. Spinach produces amazing amounts of liquid on its own!

>Angela commented many times that the meatloaves looked and smelled good.
>She just went into the kitchen and asked for more teriyaki. She also asked
>for some meatloaf. I said she could have as much as she wanted. She likes
>it! We have a winner!

Success!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 24/07/2010 6:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> I cook my meatloaf on a rack in a pan. There is always some kind of
>>> liquid
>>> comes out of a meatloaf - usually fat, even with low fat meat. I cover
>>> the
>>> pan loosely with foil (so it doesn't touch the meat. Take the foil off
>>> at
>>> the last and cook a few minutes more . Then I add some thick BBQ sauce
>>> over the top, you lose some but its still tasty.

>> I think this stuff would have dripped through a rack.

> Not if it is in a pan
>
> It was pretty soft
>> until baked.

I do mine on cookie sheets.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:11:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I didn't measure but just sort of threw things in. Started with about 2
>>pounds of grass fed beef, 7% fat. I used a couple of handfuls of gluten
>>free oats that had been whizzed in the food processor. I then dumped this
>>into the huge, flat pasta bowl. On top of this went a single serve bottle
>>of V8 juice and some pureed vegetables. I bought enough fresh spinach
>>leaves from the salad bar to almost fill the small salad container. I
>>tossed those in with 4 large cremini mushrooms, most of a large onion and
>>another small chunk from another onion (had those on the veggie drawer), 2
>>ribs of celery, one green pepper, one orange pepper and a large tomato
>>(also
>>had that in the veggie drawer and it was about to go bad). Also two
>>single
>>serve containers of the baby food squash. Gerber.

> I bet it was the spinach combined with the juice that produced too
> much liquid. Spinach produces amazing amounts of liquid on its own!
>
>>Angela commented many times that the meatloaves looked and smelled good.
>>She just went into the kitchen and asked for more teriyaki. She also
>>asked
>>for some meatloaf. I said she could have as much as she wanted. She
>>likes
>>it! We have a winner!
>>

> Success!

That could be. I was thinking it was the celery. Maybe it was both.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:11:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I didn't measure but just sort of threw things in. Started with about 2
>>pounds of grass fed beef, 7% fat. I used a couple of handfuls of gluten
>>free oats that had been whizzed in the food processor. I then dumped this
>>into the huge, flat pasta bowl. On top of this went a single serve bottle
>>of V8 juice and some pureed vegetables. I bought enough fresh spinach
>>leaves from the salad bar to almost fill the small salad container. I
>>tossed those in with 4 large cremini mushrooms, most of a large onion and
>>another small chunk from another onion (had those on the veggie drawer), 2
>>ribs of celery, one green pepper, one orange pepper and a large tomato
>>(also
>>had that in the veggie drawer and it was about to go bad). Also two
>>single
>>serve containers of the baby food squash. Gerber.

> I bet it was the spinach combined with the juice that produced too
> much liquid. Spinach produces amazing amounts of liquid on its own!

You could cook and chop the spinach first, then squeeze out all the liquid
before adding it to the mixture.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:11:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I didn't measure but just sort of threw things in. Started with about 2
>>>pounds of grass fed beef, 7% fat. I used a couple of handfuls of gluten
>>>free oats that had been whizzed in the food processor. I then dumped
>>>this
>>>into the huge, flat pasta bowl. On top of this went a single serve
>>>bottle
>>>of V8 juice and some pureed vegetables. I bought enough fresh spinach
>>>leaves from the salad bar to almost fill the small salad container. I
>>>tossed those in with 4 large cremini mushrooms, most of a large onion and
>>>another small chunk from another onion (had those on the veggie drawer),
>>>2
>>>ribs of celery, one green pepper, one orange pepper and a large tomato
>>>(also
>>>had that in the veggie drawer and it was about to go bad). Also two
>>>single
>>>serve containers of the baby food squash. Gerber.

>> I bet it was the spinach combined with the juice that produced too
>> much liquid. Spinach produces amazing amounts of liquid on its own!
>>
>>>Angela commented many times that the meatloaves looked and smelled good.
>>>She just went into the kitchen and asked for more teriyaki. She also
>>>asked
>>>for some meatloaf. I said she could have as much as she wanted. She
>>>likes
>>>it! We have a winner!
>>>

>> Success!

> That could be. I was thinking it was the celery. Maybe it was both.

Mushrooms create liquid too. Added to the liquid you already had... I
personally wouldn't be using a cookie sheet for meatloaf. I always have some
kind of liquid come out.

I love meatloaf cold with salad. Nice for breakfast too. I sometimes add
chopped meatloaf to bubble and squeak after its cooked, leave the meatloaf
in long enough to heat up. Kids like it on sandwiches for school with tomato
sauce

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

making the mini loaves would be good for us as i love it with heinze but bbq
is good also, i now have a muffin tim that is 12 and squares, also have a
large muffin tin that is six muffins, next time i make muffins oops i mean
meat loaf i will be using one of these tins, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. I had
>> difficulty getting it out of the oven. Why? There was an alarming
>> amount of liquid that had seeped out from the veggies. I took the loaves
>> up and put them on plates and they immediately sucked up the liquid as
>> they cooled.

> I cook my meatloaf on a rack in a pan. There is always some kind of liquid
> comes out of a meatloaf - usually fat, even with low fat meat. I cover the
> pan loosely with foil (so it doesn't touch the meat. Take the foil off at
> the last and cook a few minutes more . Then I add some thick BBQ sauce
> over the top, you lose some but its still tasty.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

there is no bad meatloaf, but what is bubble and squeak> Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:11:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I bet it was the spinach combined with the juice that produced too
>>> much liquid. Spinach produces amazing amounts of liquid on its own!

>>> Success!

>> That could be. I was thinking it was the celery. Maybe it was both.

> Mushrooms create liquid too. Added to the liquid you already had... I
> personally wouldn't be using a cookie sheet for meatloaf. I always have
> some kind of liquid come out.
>
> I love meatloaf cold with salad. Nice for breakfast too. I sometimes add
> chopped meatloaf to bubble and squeak after its cooked, leave the meatloaf
> in long enough to heat up. Kids like it on sandwiches for school with
> tomato sauce

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

: Mushrooms create liquid too. Added to the liquid you already had... I
: personally wouldn't be using a cookie sheet for meatloaf. I always have some
: kind of liquid come out.

: I love meatloaf cold with salad. Nice for breakfast too. I sometimes add
: chopped meatloaf to bubble and squeak after its cooked, leave the meatloaf
: in long enough to heat up. Kids like it on sandwiches for school with tomato
: sauce

Cold meatloaf with mustard makes a great sandwich. Maybe angela ould
akeit for lung=ch on one o fher non-allergic breads. You have mde enough
for about 8 meals for me. I assume you will freeze some, but wll you then
eat it? I know you have often commented that you don't like leftovers or
defrosted meals. Just puzzled.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> : Mushrooms create liquid too. Added to the liquid you already had... I
> : personally wouldn't be using a cookie sheet for meatloaf. I always have
> some
> : kind of liquid come out.
>
> : I love meatloaf cold with salad. Nice for breakfast too. I sometimes add
> : chopped meatloaf to bubble and squeak after its cooked, leave the
> meatloaf
> : in long enough to heat up. Kids like it on sandwiches for school with
> tomato
> : sauce
>
> Cold meatloaf with mustard makes a great sandwich. Maybe angela ould
> akeit for lung=ch on one o fher non-allergic breads. You have mde enough
> for about 8 meals for me. I assume you will freeze some, but wll you then
> eat it? I know you have often commented that you don't like leftovers or
> defrosted meals. Just puzzled.

Yes. I have to freeze some. Although we don't like frozen stuff, with her
dance schedule we are sometimes not getting home till 8. It is too early to
eat before dance and by the time we get home there is no time to cook. Plus
the teriyaki takes sooo long to make that I am not willing to go through it
each time, at least during the summer. This upcoming week is going to be
grueling as far as our schedule goes.

Angela will take some teriyaki in her lunch to dance camp. She won't eat
cold meatloaf. But she will have to eat some for dinner at some point.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:11:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I didn't measure but just sort of threw things in. Started with about 2
>>>pounds of grass fed beef, 7% fat. I used a couple of handfuls of gluten
>>>free oats that had been whizzed in the food processor. I then dumped
>>>this
>>>into the huge, flat pasta bowl. On top of this went a single serve
>>>bottle
>>>of V8 juice and some pureed vegetables. I bought enough fresh spinach
>>>leaves from the salad bar to almost fill the small salad container. I
>>>tossed those in with 4 large cremini mushrooms, most of a large onion and
>>>another small chunk from another onion (had those on the veggie drawer),
>>>2
>>>ribs of celery, one green pepper, one orange pepper and a large tomato
>>>(also
>>>had that in the veggie drawer and it was about to go bad). Also two
>>>single
>>>serve containers of the baby food squash. Gerber.

>> I bet it was the spinach combined with the juice that produced too
>> much liquid. Spinach produces amazing amounts of liquid on its own!

> You could cook and chop the spinach first, then squeeze out all the liquid
> before adding it to the mixture.

Maybe that's what I should do. Cook the whole mixture (vegetables) first.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:32:08 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> At this temp., the meatloaf was done at about 20 minutes. I had
>>> difficulty getting it out of the oven. Why? There was an alarming
>>> amount
>>> of liquid that had seeped out from the veggies. I took the loaves up
>>> and
>>> put them on plates and they immediately sucked up the liquid as they
>>> cooled.

>>I cook my meatloaf on a rack in a pan. There is always some kind of liquid
>>comes out of a meatloaf - usually fat, even with low fat meat. I cover the
>>pan loosely with foil (so it doesn't touch the meat. Take the foil off at
>>the last and cook a few minutes more . Then I add some thick BBQ sauce
>>over
>>the top, you lose some but its still tasty.

> I cover mine with foil too, but I don't care if it touches. In fact, I
> tamp it down to be a snug fit. It peels off easily when I do the same
> as you and brown it at the finish. Maybe I use fattier mince than you?
>
> The liquid is usually fat; I let it stand for a while before serving.
> Any that doesn't soak back in is drained off.

This was for sure not fat. I bought the leanest beef I could find. I
remember the fat in the old days. My mom's recipe calls for bacon on top
(yuck) and in those days the meat was very fatty. She actually has a
meatloaf pan. It's two pans in one. A slotted one that you put the meat in
and another like a bread pan that is slightly larger and goes outside of it.
Even with that you have to drain it frequently during cooking.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> making the mini loaves would be good for us as i love it with heinze but
> bbq is good also, i now have a muffin tim that is 12 and squares, also
> have a large muffin tin that is six muffins, next time i make muffins oops
> i mean meat loaf i will be using one of these tins, Lee

I just got a new square muffin pan but am saving it for cornbread. Was
afraid the meatloaf might mess it up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if its like mine, i just spray with olive oil from the misto not much sticks
to that, but that is the reason i got mine, and for dressing, i am really
working on portion control atm and thought this pan would work well, and it
dos, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> making the mini loaves would be good for us as i love it with heinze but
>> bbq is good also, i now have a muffin tim that is 12 and squares, also
>> have a large muffin tin that is six muffins, next time i make muffins
>> oops i mean meat loaf i will be using one of these tins, Lee

> I just got a new square muffin pan but am saving it for cornbread. Was
> afraid the meatloaf might mess it up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Traditionally it is a breakfast fry up of veggies left over from the night
before. The tastiest are roasted veggies including pumpkin and onion. I
usually sauté some onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil and add chopped up
leftovers like cauli, broccoli, carrot, peas, sweet potato, whatever. If
there are left over meats chop some up and add at the end. Nice brekky

Heh, should have looked here first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_and_squeak there is a list of similar
dishes on that page, I didn't check them out.

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> there is no bad meatloaf, but what is bubble and squeak> Lee
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> That could be. I was thinking it was the celery. Maybe it was both.

>> Mushrooms create liquid too. Added to the liquid you already had... I
>> personally wouldn't be using a cookie sheet for meatloaf. I always have
>> some kind of liquid come out.
>>
>> I love meatloaf cold with salad. Nice for breakfast too. I sometimes add
>> chopped meatloaf to bubble and squeak after its cooked, leave the
>> meatloaf in long enough to heat up. Kids like it on sandwiches for school
>> with tomato sauce

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> making the mini loaves would be good for us as i love it with heinze but
>> bbq is good also, i now have a muffin tim that is 12 and squares, also
>> have a large muffin tin that is six muffins, next time i make muffins
>> oops i mean meat loaf i will be using one of these tins, Lee

> I just got a new square muffin pan but am saving it for cornbread. Was
> afraid the meatloaf might mess it up.

Small foil pie pans? I use toss away foil containers for most of my oven
baking including roast dinners. Pans are never the same after something with
fat in them has been cooked in them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> >> I think this stuff would have dripped through a rack.

> > Not if it is in a pan
> >
> > It was pretty soft
> >> until baked.

> I do mine on cookie sheets.

I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. I take a
long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
lots hanging over the outside. When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
and out onto a platter.

When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
went over boiled potatoes. *sigh*

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Traditionally it is a breakfast fry up of veggies left over from the night
> before. The tastiest are roasted veggies including pumpkin and onion. I
> usually sauté some onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil and add chopped up
> leftovers like cauli, broccoli, carrot, peas, sweet potato, whatever. If
> there are left over meats chop some up and add at the end. Nice brekky
>
> Heh, should have looked here first:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_and_squeak there is a list of similar
> dishes on that page, I didn't check them out.

Sounds like a variant of the same dish we eat as hash or home-fries.
Just with more variety in the vegetables included.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> making the mini loaves would be good for us as i love it with heinze but
>>> bbq is good also, i now have a muffin tim that is 12 and squares, also
>>> have a large muffin tin that is six muffins, next time i make muffins
>>> oops i mean meat loaf i will be using one of these tins, Lee

>> I just got a new square muffin pan but am saving it for cornbread. Was
>> afraid the meatloaf might mess it up.

> Small foil pie pans? I use toss away foil containers for most of my oven
> baking including roast dinners. Pans are never the same after something
> with fat in them has been cooked in them.

I don't do much baking any more, but when I do, I use foil pans. Am using
one now for brownies. We're celebrating Angela's birthday tomorrow. It's
not till Tuesday but she will be busy all day.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Not if it is in a pan
>> >
>> > It was pretty soft

>> I do mine on cookie sheets.

> I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. I take a
> long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
> lots hanging over the outside. When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
> it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
> and out onto a platter.
>
> When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
> went over boiled potatoes. *sigh*

I do mini ones for two reasons. They cook faster. And I can't add an egg
as a binder so they tend not to hold together.

One of my favorite things to make as a kid was meatloaf ala mode. I made
the meatloaf in a round cake pan, cut it in wedges and then topped each
wedge with a scoop of mashed potatoes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I cook all my meats on a baking sheet that has a half inch lip all around
and a cookie rack that has about a half inch holes in it...the baking sheet
is covered with foil to make cleanup easy and the rack sits atop that and
the food is basically air cooked all around it so I get very even ...very
tasty results.

the racks holes are small enough to keep even meatloaf from falling
through...what I do is form the loaf in a pan and turn it out onto the rack
and bake it that way..the juices are drained away the water hitting the pan
evaporates keeping the meats moist..it's a great system

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" >>
> I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. I take a
> long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
> lots hanging over the outside. When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
> it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
> and out onto a platter.
>
> When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
> went over boiled potatoes. *sigh*
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Traditionally it is a breakfast fry up of veggies left over from the night
> before. The tastiest are roasted veggies including pumpkin and onion. I
> usually sauté some onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil and add chopped
> up leftovers like cauli, broccoli, carrot, peas, sweet potato, whatever.
> If there are left over meats chop some up and add at the end. Nice brekky
>

> Heh, should have looked here first:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_and_squeak there is a list of similar
> dishes on that page, I didn't check them out.
>
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> there is no bad meatloaf, but what is bubble and squeak> Lee

>>> Mushrooms create liquid too. Added to the liquid you already had... I
>>> personally wouldn't be using a cookie sheet for meatloaf. I always have
>>> some kind of liquid come out.
>>>
>>> I love meatloaf cold with salad. Nice for breakfast too. I sometimes add
>>> chopped meatloaf to bubble and squeak after its cooked, leave the
>>> meatloaf in long enough to heat up. Kids like it on sandwiches for
>>> school with tomato sauce

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Not if it is in a pan
>> >
>> > It was pretty soft

>> I do mine on cookie sheets.

> I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. I take a
> long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
> lots hanging over the outside. When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
> it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
> and out onto a platter.
>
> When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
> went over boiled potatoes. *sigh*
>
> PP

I keep draining off any fat or drippings from the pan while the meat loaf is
baking. I put it in a separate container, add some beef broth to it, and
then skim off all the fat with my skimmer cup. The remaining liquid is
turned into gravy.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jul 24, 7:00*pm, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > *Not if it is in a pan

> > > *It was pretty soft

> > I do mine on cookie sheets.

> I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. *I take a
> long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
> lots hanging over the outside. *When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
> it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
> and out onto a platter.
>
> When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
> went over boiled potatoes. **sigh*
>
> PP- Hide quoted text -

I do my meatloaf in an iron skillet and I mold it into a fat donut
shape -- I put the sauce in the middle and baste from there as it
cooks, and in this shape it cooks fast. I like the aluminum foil idea
and maybe will try that next time, although we do like the crusty bits
that form around the edges in the skillet. But it is too hot to have
the oven on these days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jul 25, 12:30*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message

> > In article >,

> >> I do mine on cookie sheets.

> > I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. *I take a
> > long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
> > lots hanging over the outside. *When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
> > it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
> > and out onto a platter.

> > When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
> > went over boiled potatoes. **sigh*

> I do mini ones for two reasons. *They cook faster. *And I can't add an egg
> as a binder so they tend not to hold together.
>
> One of my favorite things to make as a kid was meatloaf ala mode. *I made
> the meatloaf in a round cake pan, cut it in wedges and then topped each
> wedge with a scoop of mashed potatoes.- Hide quoted text -

a little bean flour works well as a binder instead of eggs, if one
likes the taste
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Jul 25, 12:30 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message

> > In article >,

> >> I do mine on cookie sheets.

> > I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. I take a
> > long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
> > lots hanging over the outside. When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
> > it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
> > and out onto a platter.

> > When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
> > went over boiled potatoes. *sigh*

> I do mini ones for two reasons. They cook faster. And I can't add an egg
> as a binder so they tend not to hold together.
>
> One of my favorite things to make as a kid was meatloaf ala mode. I made
> the meatloaf in a round cake pan, cut it in wedges and then topped each
> wedge with a scoop of mashed potatoes.- Hide quoted text -

a little bean flour works well as a binder instead of eggs, if one
likes the taste

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> I do mine on cookie sheets.

>> I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. I take a
>> long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
>> lots hanging over the outside. When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
>> it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
>> and out onto a platter.
>>
>> When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
>> went over boiled potatoes. *sigh*

> I do mini ones for two reasons. They cook faster. And I can't add an egg
> as a binder so they tend not to hold together.
>
> One of my favorite things to make as a kid was meatloaf ala mode. I made
> the meatloaf in a round cake pan, cut it in wedges and then topped each
> wedge with a scoop of mashed potatoes.

One of my daughters specialties when she was a young teen was meatloaf made
in muffin tins...after muffin loaves were done she would turn the tin upside
down and drop the meatloaves onto a baking sheet..then would frost them with
mashed potatoes...put them in the oven, while she heated cheddar cheese soup
and added peas to it then would plated the meatloaf and pour the cheddar
cheese pea sauce over it. She got it from a kids cookbook....her Dad loved
it

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message

>>> I've always done my meatloaf in a loaf pan, as my mother did. I take a
>>> long piece of aluminum foil and line the pan with it, cross-ways, with
>>> lots hanging over the outside. When the meatloaf's done, you can pick
>>> it up by the pieces of foil that are hanging over the edges, lift it up
>>> and out onto a platter.
>>>
>>> When I was growing up, the juice and fat that came out of the meatloaf
>>> went over boiled potatoes. *sigh*

>> I do mini ones for two reasons. They cook faster. And I can't add an
>> egg as a binder so they tend not to hold together.
>>
>> One of my favorite things to make as a kid was meatloaf ala mode. I made
>> the meatloaf in a round cake pan, cut it in wedges and then topped each
>> wedge with a scoop of mashed potatoes.
>>

> One of my daughters specialties when she was a young teen was meatloaf
> made in muffin tins...after muffin loaves were done she would turn the tin
> upside down and drop the meatloaves onto a baking sheet..then would frost
> them with mashed potatoes...put them in the oven, while she heated cheddar
> cheese soup and added peas to it then would plated the meatloaf and pour
> the cheddar cheese pea sauce over it. She got it from a kids
> cookbook....her Dad loved it

Mmmmmmm, what's not to love. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

You can solve the problem of fluid seeping from the veggies by sauteeing
them separately and then letting them cool before adding to the meat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>

> You can solve the problem of fluid seeping from the veggies by sauteeing
> them separately and then letting them cool before adding to the meat.

And then draining in a colander over paper towel helps too.