Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Menu for the 4th?

I know many of you here won't be celebrating on this day. But for those who
are... What will you serve?

I have some really big hotdogs that I got from Costco. I don't eat hotdogs
but Angela and my husband like them. I had no luck locating the hamburger
patties I wanted. They are precooked and you just put them in the
microwave. One store did have some but with bacon and cheese in the
patties. I do like bacon. Just not with hamburger. So I will be trying
some new patties (uncooked) with onion in them. I have tried making these
from scratch but they didn't hold together. I have buns for Angela and
husband. I won't be having a bun. I will have a burger patty with a piece
of cheese, lettuce, tomato and white onion.

I will be serving some canned baked beans. I have two kinds. One is lower
in carbs. Will probably be those unless Angela insists on the others. I
think she likes them both.

Of course there will be all kinds of raw veggies and olives.

I have Ruffles potato chips for those who want them.

Bought cupcakes and cookies for husband. Cupcakes for Angela. And since I
want to use up some apple pie filling that I bought for Christmas but didn't
use, I will be making a gluten free pizza with cream cheese and apple
topping. I might take a taste of that. Or I might not.

Usually I make popcorn around midnight. If it's a nice night, neighbors do
fireworks until the wee hours. But being that it's a Sunday, they may stop
early.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I know many of you here won't be celebrating on this day. But for those
> who are... What will you serve?

I don't know what I'll be served. Doesn't matter. It'll be served with
love.

> [ . . . ]I have tried making [hamburgers] from scratch but they didn't
> hold together.

Adding a tablespoon or two of lard or olive oil per pound to ground sirloin
or round will replenish some of the fat, hold the 'burger together better
when yer cookin' it and make it juicier. 20% to 30% fat makes a nice
'burger for me.

Use coarsely ground meat (rather than finely ground) for moister burgers.
Grinding your own fresh meat is best. That way you know what's in it.

Lightly mix ground meat (with other ingredients, if any). Over-mixing
results in dense, heavy burgers.

Wet hands with a little water to keep the mixture from sticking when you
form your patties. Over-working the patties results in dense, heavy
burgers, too.

> I have buns for Angela and husband. I won't be having a bun. I will
> have a burger patty with a piece of cheese, lettuce, tomato and white
> onion.
>
> I will be serving some canned baked beans. I have two kinds. One is
> lower in carbs. Will probably be those unless Angela insists on the
> others. I think she likes them both.
>
> Of course there will be all kinds of raw veggies and olives.
>
> I have Ruffles potato chips for those who want them.
>
> Bought cupcakes and cookies for husband. Cupcakes for Angela. And since
> I want to use up some apple pie filling that I bought for Christmas but
> didn't use, I will be making a gluten free pizza with cream cheese and
> apple topping. I might take a taste of that. Or I might not.
>
> Usually I make popcorn around midnight. If it's a nice night, neighbors
> do fireworks until the wee hours. But being that it's a Sunday, they may
> stop early.

Sounds good, Julie. Happy 4th! BOOM!!!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

well you just post that recipe for the pizza... brands also please... DH's
sister needs gluton free and i might make this for the next famly function,
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I know many of you here won't be celebrating on this day. But for those
>who are... What will you serve?
>
> I have some really big hotdogs that I got from Costco. I don't eat
> hotdogs but Angela and my husband like them. I had no luck locating the
> hamburger patties I wanted. They are precooked and you just put them in
> the microwave. One store did have some but with bacon and cheese in the
> patties. I do like bacon. Just not with hamburger. So I will be trying
> some new patties (uncooked) with onion in them. I have tried making these
> from scratch but they didn't hold together. I have buns for Angela and
> husband. I won't be having a bun. I will have a burger patty with a
> piece of cheese, lettuce, tomato and white onion.
>
> I will be serving some canned baked beans. I have two kinds. One is
> lower in carbs. Will probably be those unless Angela insists on the
> others. I think she likes them both.
>
> Of course there will be all kinds of raw veggies and olives.
>
> I have Ruffles potato chips for those who want them.
>
> Bought cupcakes and cookies for husband. Cupcakes for Angela. And since
> I want to use up some apple pie filling that I bought for Christmas but
> didn't use, I will be making a gluten free pizza with cream cheese and
> apple topping. I might take a taste of that. Or I might not.
>
> Usually I make popcorn around midnight. If it's a nice night, neighbors
> do fireworks until the wee hours. But being that it's a Sunday, they may
> stop early.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

not sure what we will be having , or for that matter where we will be...
yesterday dh found out his uncle passed away for some communications
reasions he passed on Wed. so we don't know details and if we will have to
go to
Chicago or not.

I had oven slow roasted a rack of spare ribs earlier in the week. cut them
in half roasted the first half with pearl onions and cumen only and the
other half with pearl onions, mushrooms and sour kraute only,

covered with foil on 250 until done then under the broiler without foil
until crisp... but with the family issues they may have to get frozen and
wait until we return.

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I know many of you here won't be celebrating on this day. But for those
>who are... What will you serve?
>
> I have some really big hotdogs that I got from Costco. I don't eat
> hotdogs but Angela and my husband like them. I had no luck locating the
> hamburger patties I wanted. They are precooked and you just put them in
> the microwave. One store did have some but with bacon and cheese in the
> patties. I do like bacon. Just not with hamburger. So I will be trying
> some new patties (uncooked) with onion in them. I have tried making these
> from scratch but they didn't hold together. I have buns for Angela and
> husband. I won't be having a bun. I will have a burger patty with a
> piece of cheese, lettuce, tomato and white onion.
>
> I will be serving some canned baked beans. I have two kinds. One is
> lower in carbs. Will probably be those unless Angela insists on the
> others. I think she likes them both.
>
> Of course there will be all kinds of raw veggies and olives.
>
> I have Ruffles potato chips for those who want them.
>
> Bought cupcakes and cookies for husband. Cupcakes for Angela. And since
> I want to use up some apple pie filling that I bought for Christmas but
> didn't use, I will be making a gluten free pizza with cream cheese and
> apple topping. I might take a taste of that. Or I might not.
>
> Usually I make popcorn around midnight. If it's a nice night, neighbors
> do fireworks until the wee hours. But being that it's a Sunday, they may
> stop early.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I know many of you here won't be celebrating on this day. But for those
>> who are... What will you serve?

> I don't know what I'll be served. Doesn't matter. It'll be served with
> love.
>
>> [ . . . ]I have tried making [hamburgers] from scratch but they didn't
>> hold together.

> Adding a tablespoon or two of lard or olive oil per pound to ground
> sirloin
> or round will replenish some of the fat, hold the 'burger together better
> when yer cookin' it and make it juicier. 20% to 30% fat makes a nice
> 'burger for me.
>
> Use coarsely ground meat (rather than finely ground) for moister burgers.
> Grinding your own fresh meat is best. That way you know what's in it.
>
> Lightly mix ground meat (with other ingredients, if any). Over-mixing
> results in dense, heavy burgers.
>
> Wet hands with a little water to keep the mixture from sticking when you
> form your patties. Over-working the patties results in dense, heavy
> burgers, too.
>
>> I have buns for Angela and husband. I won't be having a bun. I will
>> have a burger patty with a piece of cheese, lettuce, tomato and white
>> onion.
>>
>> I will be serving some canned baked beans. I have two kinds. One is
>> lower in carbs. Will probably be those unless Angela insists on the
>> others. I think she likes them both.
>>
>> Of course there will be all kinds of raw veggies and olives.
>>
>> I have Ruffles potato chips for those who want them.
>>
>> Bought cupcakes and cookies for husband. Cupcakes for Angela. And since
>> I want to use up some apple pie filling that I bought for Christmas but
>> didn't use, I will be making a gluten free pizza with cream cheese and
>> apple topping. I might take a taste of that. Or I might not.
>>
>> Usually I make popcorn around midnight. If it's a nice night, neighbors
>> do fireworks until the wee hours. But being that it's a Sunday, they may
>> stop early.

> Sounds good, Julie. Happy 4th! BOOM!!!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

I use a silicon Patty press...I have never been able to pat out a good
patty. Now that I have sore finger joints the patty press helps a lot. I red
somewhere that 80/20 is good for Hamburgers. I buy a chuck steak if it's not
to fatty...Top Sirloin works well if it is marbled well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I know many of you here won't be celebrating on this day. But for those
>who are... What will you serve?
>
> I have some really big hotdogs that I got from Costco. I don't eat
> hotdogs but Angela and my husband like them. I had no luck locating the
> hamburger patties I wanted. They are precooked and you just put them in
> the microwave. One store did have some but with bacon and cheese in the
> patties. I do like bacon. Just not with hamburger. So I will be trying
> some new patties (uncooked) with onion in them. I have tried making these
> from scratch but they didn't hold together. I have buns for Angela and
> husband. I won't be having a bun. I will have a burger patty with a
> piece of cheese, lettuce, tomato and white onion.
>
> I will be serving some canned baked beans. I have two kinds. One is
> lower in carbs. Will probably be those unless Angela insists on the
> others. I think she likes them both.
>
> Of course there will be all kinds of raw veggies and olives.
>
> I have Ruffles potato chips for those who want them.
>
> Bought cupcakes and cookies for husband. Cupcakes for Angela. And since
> I want to use up some apple pie filling that I bought for Christmas but
> didn't use, I will be making a gluten free pizza with cream cheese and
> apple topping. I might take a taste of that. Or I might not.
>
> Usually I make popcorn around midnight. If it's a nice night, neighbors
> do fireworks until the wee hours. But being that it's a Sunday, they may
> stop early.

My kids are coming down from Scottsdale and my Daughter and Grandkids are
coming. It will be hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans and maybe potato
salad...Nachos and chips and salsa and cheese dip for snacking. I will offer
bacon for their cheeseburgers...Lettuce tomatoes red onion sliced. Fresh
veggies..carrots, celery, radishes, broccoli . Pickles and olives .
Strawberries and whipped cream for those that have room for it

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I know many of you here won't be celebrating on this day. But for those
>> who are... What will you serve?

> I don't know what I'll be served. Doesn't matter. It'll be served with
> love.
>
>> [ . . . ]I have tried making [hamburgers] from scratch but they didn't
>> hold together.

> Adding a tablespoon or two of lard or olive oil per pound to ground
> sirloin
> or round will replenish some of the fat, hold the 'burger together better
> when yer cookin' it and make it juicier. 20% to 30% fat makes a nice
> 'burger for me.

I actually don't like juicy burgers. I prefer them to be lean and dry.

> Use coarsely ground meat (rather than finely ground) for moister burgers.
> Grinding your own fresh meat is best. That way you know what's in it.

Since I only make one burger at a time, this would be just too much work.

> Lightly mix ground meat (with other ingredients, if any). Over-mixing
> results in dense, heavy burgers.

I think that's the problem. I don't like to mix it. Don't like to touch
the meat.

> Wet hands with a little water to keep the mixture from sticking when you
> form your patties. Over-working the patties results in dense, heavy
> burgers, too.
>
>> I have buns for Angela and husband. I won't be having a bun. I will
>> have a burger patty with a piece of cheese, lettuce, tomato and white
>> onion.
>>
>> I will be serving some canned baked beans. I have two kinds. One is
>> lower in carbs. Will probably be those unless Angela insists on the
>> others. I think she likes them both.
>>
>> Of course there will be all kinds of raw veggies and olives.
>>
>> I have Ruffles potato chips for those who want them.
>>
>> Bought cupcakes and cookies for husband. Cupcakes for Angela. And since
>> I want to use up some apple pie filling that I bought for Christmas but
>> didn't use, I will be making a gluten free pizza with cream cheese and
>> apple topping. I might take a taste of that. Or I might not.
>>
>> Usually I make popcorn around midnight. If it's a nice night, neighbors
>> do fireworks until the wee hours. But being that it's a Sunday, they may
>> stop early.

> Sounds good, Julie. Happy 4th! BOOM!!!

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> well you just post that recipe for the pizza... brands also please... DH's
> sister needs gluton free and i might make this for the next famly
> function,

I don't have a recipe and don't even know if it will be good. I am starting
with some Ener-G rice crust pizza shells. Will bake, cool, spread with
cream cheese then the apple pie filling. Cherry would probably be better
for this but I have apple and want to use it up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I know many of you here won't be celebrating on this day. But for those
>>who are... What will you serve?
>>
>> I have some really big hotdogs that I got from Costco. I don't eat
>> hotdogs but Angela and my husband like them. I had no luck locating the
>> hamburger patties I wanted. They are precooked and you just put them in
>> the microwave. One store did have some but with bacon and cheese in the
>> patties. I do like bacon. Just not with hamburger. So I will be trying
>> some new patties (uncooked) with onion in them. I have tried making
>> these from scratch but they didn't hold together. I have buns for Angela
>> and husband. I won't be having a bun. I will have a burger patty with a
>> piece of cheese, lettuce, tomato and white onion.
>>
>> I will be serving some canned baked beans. I have two kinds. One is
>> lower in carbs. Will probably be those unless Angela insists on the
>> others. I think she likes them both.
>>
>> Of course there will be all kinds of raw veggies and olives.
>>
>> I have Ruffles potato chips for those who want them.
>>
>> Bought cupcakes and cookies for husband. Cupcakes for Angela. And since
>> I want to use up some apple pie filling that I bought for Christmas but
>> didn't use, I will be making a gluten free pizza with cream cheese and
>> apple topping. I might take a taste of that. Or I might not.
>>
>> Usually I make popcorn around midnight. If it's a nice night, neighbors
>> do fireworks until the wee hours. But being that it's a Sunday, they may
>> stop early.
>>

> My kids are coming down from Scottsdale and my Daughter and Grandkids are
> coming. It will be hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans and maybe potato
> salad...Nachos and chips and salsa and cheese dip for snacking. I will
> offer bacon for their cheeseburgers...Lettuce tomatoes red onion sliced.
> Fresh veggies..carrots, celery, radishes, broccoli . Pickles and olives .
> Strawberries and whipped cream for those that have room for it

Oh I forgot the potato salad! I have some prepared. I can't eat it because
there is mayo in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

are these rice crusts in regular store or do i need to go to whole paycheck?
Lee, liking this idea A LOT
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> well you just post that recipe for the pizza... brands also please...
>> DH's sister needs gluton free and i might make this for the next famly
>> function,

> I don't have a recipe and don't even know if it will be good. I am
> starting with some Ener-G rice crust pizza shells. Will bake, cool,
> spread with cream cheese then the apple pie filling. Cherry would
> probably be better for this but I have apple and want to use it up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> are these rice crusts in regular store or do i need to go to whole
> paycheck? Lee, liking this idea A LOT

I don't know. I've never been to Whole Foods and don't know what they sell.
I get them online. But there is one health food store near here that
carries them. And there is a gluten free shop that opened near here. They
have gluten free crusts but don't know if they have that brand or not. I
got another brand there to try. I think it is Scharr.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> the indentation/thicker rim is how i learned to do it in cafeteria school,
> ... as to loose meat... not sure if you know what a "maid rite", sp sand
> is but to make this you grind/buy th burger, put in slow cooker with a
> half cup of water, onions and spice to taste, on high for 2 hours, then on
> low for six... when done let cool, skim fat, drain in colender reserving
> juice... then on bun, lettuce leaf or in tomato with condiments of
> choice... reserv the juice if you want "auj oix, sp to pour over if you
> are using bread.

We used to get some kind of loose meat sandwiches in Wichita. I can't
remember what they were called. But they had a lot of cheese in them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if they are in any store then i can probably find them at whole paycheck or
some other health food place, thanks, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> are these rice crusts in regular store or do i need to go to whole
>> paycheck? Lee, liking this idea A LOT

> I don't know. I've never been to Whole Foods and don't know what they
> sell. I get them online. But there is one health food store near here
> that carries them. And there is a gluten free shop that opened near here.
> They have gluten free crusts but don't know if they have that brand or
> not. I got another brand there to try. I think it is Scharr.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the original mr has mustard on top and pickles, the cheese on does have it
mixed in, but that is too messy goopy for me to enjoy, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> the indentation/thicker rim is how i learned to do it in cafeteria
>> school, ... as to loose meat... not sure if you know what a "maid rite",
>> sp sand is but to make this you grind/buy th burger, put in slow cooker
>> with a half cup of water, onions and spice to taste, on high for 2 hours,
>> then on low for six... when done let cool, skim fat, drain in colender
>> reserving juice... then on bun, lettuce leaf or in tomato with condiments
>> of choice... reserv the juice if you want "auj oix, sp to pour over if
>> you are using bread.

> We used to get some kind of loose meat sandwiches in Wichita. I can't
> remember what they were called. But they had a lot of cheese in them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> if they are in any store then i can probably find them at whole paycheck
> or some other health food place, thanks, Lee

Ener-G is a local brand. So it could be more widely available here. I have
seen frozen pizza crusts in several stores. I think they are
Kinninickinnick (sp?). They do have egg in them so no interest to me.
Don't know if they have seasonings like garlic on them. If so they wouldn't
do for a sweet.

I used to do a fruit pizza that had a sugar cookie crust. But I really
don't want a sweet crust for this.

Prior to finding the pizza crusts, I would do a GF foccacia bread for pizza.
The recipe I have has savory seasonings in it. I would make a second batch
without the savory seasonings then sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar and
bake. After baking I would drizzle it with powdered sugar with a drop or
two of water and some vanilla. Came out like those sweet sticks you get at
whatever pizza place sells them. Been so long I can't remember.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> the original mr has mustard on top and pickles, the cheese on does have it
> mixed in, but that is too messy goopy for me to enjoy, Lee

I don't like mustard at all and don't like pickles on sandwiches. Whatever
we got in Wichita was something my grandma loved and my mom hated. Said it
was too greasy and messy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that is also a good idea, dh's sister can have eggs, so will just have to
check around, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> if they are in any store then i can probably find them at whole paycheck
>> or some other health food place, thanks, Lee

> Ener-G is a local brand. So it could be more widely available here. I
> have seen frozen pizza crusts in several stores. I think they are
> Kinninickinnick (sp?). They do have egg in them so no interest to me.
> Don't know if they have seasonings like garlic on them. If so they
> wouldn't do for a sweet.
>
> I used to do a fruit pizza that had a sugar cookie crust. But I really
> don't want a sweet crust for this.
>
> Prior to finding the pizza crusts, I would do a GF foccacia bread for
> pizza. The recipe I have has savory seasonings in it. I would make a
> second batch without the savory seasonings then sprinkle it with cinnamon
> and sugar and bake. After baking I would drizzle it with powdered sugar
> with a drop or two of water and some vanilla. Came out like those sweet
> sticks you get at whatever pizza place sells them. Been so long I can't
> remember.

Why Taco Bell is turning its health menu into a muscle menu Travis McGee General Cooking 2 12-07-2014 02:48 PM
Welcome menu changes Ozgirl Diabetic 4 17-09-2010 01:25 PM
need menu for BBQ for 25 Josh Meyer General Cooking 12 10-06-2004 05:34 PM
Help with Menu Gigi General Cooking 16 05-03-2004 07:01 PM
V-day menu: What do you think? Erica General Cooking 29 13-02-2004 02:51 AM