Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Satiety factor of foods.

Angela and I were just having a discussion about this. I had some beef
stock that I needed to use up, so made mashed potatoes and hamburger gravy
for dinner. I put onions and celery in the gravy because I like them and
because she really needs to eat more vegetables. I am trying to find new
ways to do that. She is on to my old ways

Anyway... She noticed that potatoes fill her up. And I know this is true
of them. But what other foods have a good satiety factor?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the research says protien and fat combined with moderate starches, i however
beleive this is a ymmv situation, i can eat a banana and go for three hours,
the same amount of calories in a grain starch or protien does nothing to
fill me up or make me not hungry, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Angela and I were just having a discussion about this. I had some beef
> stock that I needed to use up, so made mashed potatoes and hamburger gravy
> for dinner. I put onions and celery in the gravy because I like them and
> because she really needs to eat more vegetables. I am trying to find new
> ways to do that. She is on to my old ways
>
> Anyway... She noticed that potatoes fill her up. And I know this is true
> of them. But what other foods have a good satiety factor?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> the research says protien and fat combined with moderate starches, i
> however beleive this is a ymmv situation, i can eat a banana and go for
> three hours, the same amount of calories in a grain starch or protien does
> nothing to fill me up or make me not hungry, Lee

That could be. I can't remember the last time I ate a banana. But then I
never really liked them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it is one of my favorite foods, and in my reading, i see that i should
probably be having some cheese with them for the nutrition factor, but i
don't eat as many as i used to just because i force myself to have more
variety than i would probably really like, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> the research says protien and fat combined with moderate starches, i
>> however beleive this is a ymmv situation, i can eat a banana and go for
>> three hours, the same amount of calories in a grain starch or protien
>> does nothing to fill me up or make me not hungry, Lee

> That could be. I can't remember the last time I ate a banana. But then I
> never really liked them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> the research says protien and fat combined with moderate starches, i
> however beleive this is a ymmv situation, i can eat a banana and go for
> three hours, the same amount of calories in a grain starch or protien
> does nothing to fill me up or make me not hungry, Lee
> [ . . . ]

You can eat a banana? I hate you! If I eat more than one inch of a banana,
I spike, damnit.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

when i was monitoring my bg to make sure i was still "normal" one of the
things i scrutinized was bananas... they do less to affect it than white
bread, rice or potatoes, white rice is almost off the menu, and potatoes
are much smaller portions than "normal" but i can have pretty much all the
bananas i want if i don't eat the whole bunch at once... Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> the research says protien and fat combined with moderate starches, i
>> however beleive this is a ymmv situation, i can eat a banana and go for
>> three hours, the same amount of calories in a grain starch or protien
>> does nothing to fill me up or make me not hungry, Lee
>> [ . . . ]

> You can eat a banana? I hate you! If I eat more than one inch of a banana,
> I spike, damnit.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> when i was monitoring my bg to make sure i was still "normal" one of the
> things i scrutinized was bananas... they do less to affect it than white
> bread, rice or potatoes, white rice is almost off the menu, and potatoes
> are much smaller portions than "normal" but i can have pretty much all
> the bananas i want if i don't eat the whole bunch at once... Lee
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Stormmee" > wrote:
> >> the research says protien and fat combined with moderate starches, i
> >> however beleive this is a ymmv situation, i can eat a banana and go
> >> for three hours, the same amount of calories in a grain starch or
> >> protien does nothing to fill me up or make me not hungry, Lee
> >> [ . . . ]

> > You can eat a banana? I hate you! If I eat more than one inch of a
> > banana, I spike, damnit.

I hear ya about rice, Lee. Brown rice may be healthier, but, for me, all
rice is 150% sugar! I can eat a small potato with no problem. What about
oatmeal? I love pinhead oats (gotta get more) with a big dollop of butter
and, at serving, mixing in a raw egg. Mmmmm! No one else is home, so I
think I'll go make a small bowl, while I wait for dinner. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

oddly for the month i was scrutinizing everything we didn't have oats one
time... I am going to put that on the list for extra scrutiny next time i do
it, DH's sister says since there is family/genetic reason to be concerned
and with hypoglycemia, sp, i should do a general moniter about a week every
three months and specific foods i think might bother me so i have alist to
make sure to check... Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> when i was monitoring my bg to make sure i was still "normal" one of the
>> things i scrutinized was bananas... they do less to affect it than white
>> bread, rice or potatoes, white rice is almost off the menu, and potatoes
>> are much smaller portions than "normal" but i can have pretty much all
>> the bananas i want if i don't eat the whole bunch at once... Lee
>> >
>> > You can eat a banana? I hate you! If I eat more than one inch of a
>> > banana, I spike, damnit.

> I hear ya about rice, Lee. Brown rice may be healthier, but, for me, all
> rice is 150% sugar! I can eat a small potato with no problem. What about
> oatmeal? I love pinhead oats (gotta get more) with a big dollop of butter
> and, at serving, mixing in a raw egg. Mmmmm! No one else is home, so I
> think I'll go make a small bowl, while I wait for dinner. ;-)
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> oddly for the month i was scrutinizing everything we didn't have oats one
> time... I am going to put that on the list for extra scrutiny next time i
> do it, DH's sister says since there is family/genetic reason to be
> concerned and with hypoglycemia, sp, i should do a general moniter about
> a week every three months and specific foods i think might bother me so i
> have alist to make sure to check... Lee

Had my bowl of oatmeal for a snack, ceviche with hot sauce on a tostada for
dinner and a slice of pepperoni, mushroom and olive pizza for a late night
snack. Jun just got home, so she won't cook for me tonight. She made some
money (what's hers is hers, what's mine is hers) and they brought in lunch
and dinner (she can order whatever she wants). Now she's reading a book on
herbal remedies. She's happy; I'm happy!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> oddly for the month i was scrutinizing everything we didn't have oats one
>> time... I am going to put that on the list for extra scrutiny next time i
>> do it, DH's sister says since there is family/genetic reason to be
>> concerned and with hypoglycemia, sp, i should do a general moniter about
>> a week every three months and specific foods i think might bother me so i
>> have alist to make sure to check... Lee

> Had my bowl of oatmeal for a snack, ceviche with hot sauce on a tostada
> for
> dinner and a slice of pepperoni, mushroom and olive pizza for a late night
> snack. Jun just got home, so she won't cook for me tonight. She made some
> money (what's hers is hers, what's mine is hers) and they brought in lunch
> and dinner (she can order whatever she wants). Now she's reading a book on
> herbal remedies. She's happy; I'm happy!

We had pizza tonight. I ordered the gluten free pizza from Garlic Jim's for
Angela and I. I do not personally have to have the gluten free but I know
theirs is safe for me to eat because it contains no eggs. Not sure what is
in the regular crust that I ordered for my husband.

The gluten free crust was actually good. It was thin. Although I don't
personally like thin so much, I know that the thick crust is out of the
question for me. This stuff reminded me of the pizza we got in NY. The
flavor was very good. It was certainly not cheap though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> the research says protien and fat combined with moderate starches, i
>> however beleive this is a ymmv situation, i can eat a banana and go for
>> three hours, the same amount of calories in a grain starch or protien
>> does nothing to fill me up or make me not hungry, Lee
>> [ . . . ]

> You can eat a banana? I hate you! If I eat more than one inch of a banana,
> I spike, damnit.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

I love bananas, and they do not seem to cause spikes...unless I get carried
away and eat more than one. That's my downfall--if they are in the kitchen,
I am likely to eat them.

Bananas have always been one of my favorites. My parents used to tell a
story about when I was a toddler. We were buying groceries, when my father
looked up an saw that I was about to follow a man out into the parking lot.
He had bananas in his shopping cart, and that's all it took to lure me (and
the poor man probably wondered why my father came dashing out at full speed
to get me).

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> when i was monitoring my bg to make sure i was still "normal" one of the
>> things i scrutinized was bananas... they do less to affect it than white
>> bread, rice or potatoes, white rice is almost off the menu, and potatoes
>> are much smaller portions than "normal" but i can have pretty much all
>> the bananas i want if i don't eat the whole bunch at once... Lee
>> >
>> > You can eat a banana? I hate you! If I eat more than one inch of a
>> > banana, I spike, damnit.

> I hear ya about rice, Lee. Brown rice may be healthier, but, for me, all
> rice is 150% sugar! I can eat a small potato with no problem. What about
> oatmeal? I love pinhead oats (gotta get more) with a big dollop of butter
> and, at serving, mixing in a raw egg. Mmmmm! No one else is home, so I
> think I'll go make a small bowl, while I wait for dinner. ;-)
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

I have oatmeal for breakfast almost every morning (usually old-fashioned and
occasionally steel-cut or "pinhead," never instant). I add a handful of
fresh blueberries or a few sliced strawberries plus a few English walnuts.
That is another food that seems to do well for me, while many diabetics find
that it causes spikes. On the other hand, I *never* eat any of the
so-called "white stuff"--no rice, pasta, potatoes, flour, or refined sugar
(except for occasionally eating out, when I know some sugar or flour find
their way into food even though I'm careful to ask for substitutes). I have
not deliberately added *any* of those items (not even the "in moderation"
principle) since I was diagnosed in May 2004.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

life is good, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> oddly for the month i was scrutinizing everything we didn't have oats one
>> time... I am going to put that on the list for extra scrutiny next time i
>> do it, DH's sister says since there is family/genetic reason to be
>> concerned and with hypoglycemia, sp, i should do a general moniter about
>> a week every three months and specific foods i think might bother me so i
>> have alist to make sure to check... Lee

> Had my bowl of oatmeal for a snack, ceviche with hot sauce on a tostada
> for
> dinner and a slice of pepperoni, mushroom and olive pizza for a late night
> snack. Jun just got home, so she won't cook for me tonight. She made some
> money (what's hers is hers, what's mine is hers) and they brought in lunch
> and dinner (she can order whatever she wants). Now she's reading a book on
> herbal remedies. She's happy; I'm happy!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, we might be twins, Lee

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>>> the research says protien and fat combined with moderate starches, i
>>> however beleive this is a ymmv situation, i can eat a banana and go for
>>> three hours, the same amount of calories in a grain starch or protien
>>> does nothing to fill me up or make me not hungry, Lee
>>> [ . . . ]

>> You can eat a banana? I hate you! If I eat more than one inch of a
>> banana,
>> I spike, damnit.
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
>> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
>> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

> I love bananas, and they do not seem to cause spikes...unless I get
> carried away and eat more than one. That's my downfall--if they are in
> the kitchen, I am likely to eat them.
>
> Bananas have always been one of my favorites. My parents used to tell a
> story about when I was a toddler. We were buying groceries, when my
> father looked up an saw that I was about to follow a man out into the
> parking lot. He had bananas in his shopping cart, and that's all it took
> to lure me (and the poor man probably wondered why my father came dashing
> out at full speed to get me).
>
> MaryL

The Fat Loss Factor yopie_dinar General Cooking 2 18-04-2012 07:57 AM
The Sarah factor [email protected] Tea 7 28-10-2008 03:18 PM
Max Factor--what happened, and what do I do without Pan Stick? Daedalus General Cooking 0 08-11-2006 01:06 PM
Beer factor nedelec Beer 0 07-03-2005 06:01 AM
Eel good factor Victor Sack General Cooking 0 22-12-2004 10:43 PM