Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Why do people eat dessert?

Dessert is something we rarely had in our house growing up. Unless you
count fruit. We did have fruit sometimes. Especially strawberries in the
summer. And for some reason my mom was overly fond of frozen blueberries
served in their frozen state. Ppppyuck!

We did have it for special occasions or sometimes when company came. We
always had some kind of cookies in the cookie jar, perhaps store bought. So
if it was casual company like a friend of mine or my brother's it might just
be a couple of cookies from the jar.

But I don't know why people eat sweets. I guess to most people they taste
good. I guess I am not most people.

My birthday is not until next Sat., but we celebrated it yesterday at a
Mexican restaurant along with Father's Day because we will all be busy with
other things on the day of my birthday and because my mom tends to like to
celebrate things on any day other than when they should be. Partly because
she feels restaurants will be less busy then, I think.

Anyway... Somebody made mention of my birthday and I didn't give it a
second thought. Until they came out with the big Sombrero, plate of dessert
and singing! I felt bad then. They made half of the dessert with no
whipped cream because they know of Angela's and my food allergies. But
Angela still couldn't eat it because it had wheat in it. It was a flour
tortilla deep dried with cinnamon and sugar and some kind of red (cherry?)
sauce on it. I knew from previous experience that I extremely dislike such
a dish but my mom told me I needed to eat one piece to be polite. Well I
tried. Tears came to my eyes as I bit into it. It was that vile to me. I
had to throw the remaining piece of "chip" back down on the plate. Then I
thought I could at least eat the maraschino cherry that was in the middle of
the plate having remembered liking those at some point. But no. It was
equally vile to me. I wound up tasting the sickly sweet taste for hours
afterwards. And it rather spoiled what had been a good dinner.

So why did we ever come up with eating such things to begin with? We also
had the usual "birthday" stuff back at my parents house. Or I should say
some of us did. My dad kept pushing me to come up with something I could
eat. I have told them repeatedly that I can not do not eat between meals
like that. Except on the days when it is my planned snack. And this
wasn't. At least this year they didn't get me the bean dip and chips! They
know that I like that but they still don't "get" it. So finally I said if
anything I might eat some strawberries. Which finally I did, but just a few
pieces and they weren't that good. What I did disliked was having to sit
downwind of that German chocolate cake. I just do not like the aroma of
cake. Never have. Maybe I'm just the odd one out.

I have said repeatedly for years on end that what I would like for my
birthday dessert is for everybody not to eat dessert. That would really
make me happy. But they won't do it. Now if that isn't a double negative!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I have said repeatedly for years on end that what I would like for my
> birthday dessert is for everybody not to eat dessert. That would really
> make me happy. But they won't do it. Now if that isn't a double
> negative!

Maybe they should just forget doing *anything* for your birthday, except to
say Happy Birthday, since it seems very traumatic to you. You'd probably be
happier that way, and no reason to be upset on your birthday.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> I have said repeatedly for years on end that what I would like for my
>> birthday dessert is for everybody not to eat dessert. That would really
>> make me happy. But they won't do it. Now if that isn't a double
>> negative!

> Maybe they should just forget doing *anything* for your birthday, except
> to say Happy Birthday, since it seems very traumatic to you. You'd
> probably be happier that way, and no reason to be upset on your birthday.

No because they also feel the need to give gifts. So I have to see them.
It isn't traumatic at all. I just dislike sweet foods or having to smell
them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
> some of us did. My dad kept pushing me to come up with something I could
> eat. I have told them repeatedly that I can not do not eat between meals
> like that. Except on the days when it is my planned snack. And this
> wasn't. At least this year they didn't get me the bean dip and chips! They
> know that I like that but they still don't "get" it. So finally I said if
> anything I might eat some strawberries. Which finally I did, but just a few
> pieces and they weren't that good. What I did disliked was having to sit
> downwind of that German chocolate cake. I just do not like the aroma of
> cake. Never have. Maybe I'm just the odd one out.
>
> I have said repeatedly for years on end that what I would like for my
> birthday dessert is for everybody not to eat dessert. That would really
> make me happy. But they won't do it. Now if that isn't a double negative!

"oh, i'm SO full, i can't eat another bite,, do you mind if i take a
carry out slice of this LOVELY dessert??"

it works every time for me........... what can people say if you tell
them you are just TOO FULL to have any more?

good luck, hope your next birthday isn't as unpleasant as this one was

*hugs*

kate
type 1, Aug/89, complication free
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> So finally I said if anything I might eat some strawberries. Which
>> finally I did, but just a few pieces and they weren't that good. What I
>> did disliked was having to sit downwind of that German chocolate cake. I
>> just do not like the aroma of cake. Never have. Maybe I'm just the odd
>> one out.
>>
>> I have said repeatedly for years on end that what I would like for my
>> birthday dessert is for everybody not to eat dessert. That would really
>> make me happy. But they won't do it. Now if that isn't a double
>> negative!

> "oh, i'm SO full, i can't eat another bite,, do you mind if i take a carry
> out slice of this LOVELY dessert??"
>
> it works every time for me........... what can people say if you tell them
> you are just TOO FULL to have any more?
>
> good luck, hope your next birthday isn't as unpleasant as this one was

There is no way I'm going to lie and say that I want to take dessert with
me. These are my relatives. They know I don't eat dessert. I never have!
Even as a child I didn't like the stuff. I just don't understand where the
custom came from.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove wrote:
: >> Dessert is something we rarely had in our house growing up. Unless you
: >> count fruit. We did have fruit sometimes. Especially strawberries in
: >> the summer. And for some reason my mom was overly fond of frozen
: >> blueberries served in their frozen state. Ppppyuck!
: >>
[...]
: >
: > it works every time for me........... what can people say if you tell them
: > you are just TOO FULL to have any more?
: >
: > good luck, hope your next birthday isn't as unpleasant as this one was
: >
: > *hugs*

: There is no way I'm going to lie and say that I want to take dessert with
: me. These are my relatives. They know I don't eat dessert. I never have!
: Even as a child I didn't like the stuff. I just don't understand where the
: custom came from.

Julie, hard as it may bo for you to believe, many people really LIKE the
taste of rich, sweet desserts. They are a real treat to them and it is
difficult to give them up. You have unique taste buds, but that does nt
mean that others should follow your pattern any more than it shoudl mean
that you have to follow their paterns.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : > you are just TOO FULL to have any more?
> : >
> : > good luck, hope your next birthday isn't as unpleasant as this one was
> : >
> : > *hugs*
>
> : There is no way I'm going to lie and say that I want to take dessert
> with
> : me. These are my relatives. They know I don't eat dessert. I never
> have!
> : Even as a child I didn't like the stuff. I just don't understand where
> the
> : custom came from.
>
> Julie, hard as it may bo for you to believe, many people really LIKE the
> taste of rich, sweet desserts. They are a real treat to them and it is
> difficult to give them up. You have unique taste buds, but that does nt
> mean that others should follow your pattern any more than it shoudl mean

I guess I do have unique taste buds. I'll just stick to my raw veggies.

I took Angela and a couple of her friends out to dinner tonight. The
friends wanted dessert. The one girl even said she always leaves a window
in her stomach for it. Whatever that means. They had dessert. Angela and
I didn't. Not that we could have. We were allergic to all the desserts on
the menu.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> have!
>> : Even as a child I didn't like the stuff. I just don't understand where
>> the
>> : custom came from.
>>
>> Julie, hard as it may bo for you to believe, many people really LIKE the
>> taste of rich, sweet desserts. They are a real treat to them and it is
>> difficult to give them up. You have unique taste buds, but that does nt
>> mean that others should follow your pattern any more than it shoudl mean
>> that you have to follow their paterns.

> I guess I do have unique taste buds. I'll just stick to my raw veggies.
>
> I took Angela and a couple of her friends out to dinner tonight. The
> friends wanted dessert. The one girl even said she always leaves a window
> in her stomach for it. Whatever that means. They had dessert. Angela
> and I didn't. Not that we could have. We were allergic to all the

I used to absolutely love desserts. A day wasn't complete unless I had at
least one dessert. After "retraining" myself following diagnosis of T2, I
no longer crave desserts and it does not bother me to be around those who
are eating my former favorites. I certainly have not developed an aversion
to them--I have just learned to live without them. Now, my "desserts" are
fresh fruit, often with yogurt (and sometimes with either Greek-style yogurt
that I buy or yogurt cheese that I prepare myself). I don't add any
sweetener at all, not even Splenda. And it is very satisfying to me.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> [...]

>> friends wanted dessert. The one girl even said she always leaves a
>> window in her stomach for it. Whatever that means. They had dessert.
>> Angela and I didn't. Not that we could have. We were allergic to all
>> the desserts on the menu.
>>

> I used to absolutely love desserts. A day wasn't complete unless I had at
> least one dessert. After "retraining" myself following diagnosis of T2, I
> no longer crave desserts and it does not bother me to be around those who
> are eating my former favorites. I certainly have not developed an
> aversion to them--I have just learned to live without them. Now, my
> "desserts" are fresh fruit, often with yogurt (and sometimes with either
> Greek-style yogurt that I buy or yogurt cheese that I prepare myself). I
> don't add any sweetener at all, not even Splenda. And it is very

I never much liked fruit, except for occasional apples, pears, applesauce or
canned pears.

Years ago I would get an occasional dessert in a restaurant because it
looked good and then after the first bite, I would think... Why? This is
sooo nasty!

And I had forgotten about it until now but we used to have a pie place
called The House Of Pies. My parents loved to go there. They did have a
full menu in addition to the pies. I didn't mind eating dinner there. They
had good food. But we didn't get to have dinner there very often. Just for
the pies. And we seemed to go there a lot. They also liked to go out for
ice cream a lot. We didn't have it at home too often, thankfully.

My husband's family ate ice cream so much that he seems to consider it a
food group. He has only been home for a few days and he has eaten every
bite of ice cream in the freezer. Now he is looking for the next best
thing. Popsicles.

Help with Dessert W. Baker Diabetic 42 04-12-2011 08:22 PM
Today imitation jewelry is getting popular, pirated CDs are mostlysold and industry is growing. The fact is that only a few people are able toafford it. There are only a handful of people for whom these extraordinarytimepieces are manufactured. Thes [email protected] Preserving 0 26-04-2008 06:04 PM
do people talk about food here or just other people? Lorelei Vegan 6 12-07-2005 11:03 PM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] General Cooking 2 02-12-2004 01:18 AM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] General Cooking 3 02-12-2004 12:04 AM