Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Need help with recipe

The Create channel is doing a shrimp marathon of cooking shows right now.
Daisy of Daisy Cooks made this recipe for shrimp and bean cakes that looked
really good. Except for one thing. I don't like shrimp! Okay, two things.
It also calls for flour. Since Angela is allergic to wheat, I can't use
that. I presume I could use the gluten free, four flour blend that I use
for other things, or the sweet rice flour, or maybe even brown rice flour to
coat. So I guess that really isn't the problem. But the shrimp? I was
thinking I could substitute canned tuna. We both like that. But do you
think that would work? If I use tuna, should I change the seasonings? I
was thinking Italian seasoning might go better than the cumin and hot
pepper. And perhaps parsley for the cilantro? What do you think"?

Here's a link to the recipe.

http://famfriends.tjrecipes.com/shrimp_cakes.htm

I have looked online thinking I would find a tuna and bean cake recipe. I
didn't really. I did find a tuna and corn cake one but it called for bread
crumbs and I hate using gluten free bread for that. Just not so tasty. I'm
also allergic to eggs which are often in bean cakes, so this recipe looked
appealing.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You could use the tuna but my preference would be crab, canned salmon or
canned mackerel. I'm not a big fan of cilantor so I would sub curly parsley
or even mint.

Julie Bove wrote:
> The Create channel is doing a shrimp marathon of cooking shows right
> now. Daisy of Daisy Cooks made this recipe for shrimp and bean cakes
> that looked really good. Except for one thing. I don't like shrimp!
> Okay, two things. It also calls for flour. Since Angela is allergic
> to wheat, I can't use that. I presume I could use the gluten free,
> four flour blend that I use for other things, or the sweet rice
> flour, or maybe even brown rice flour to coat. So I guess that
> really isn't the problem. But the shrimp? I was thinking I could
> substitute canned tuna. We both like that. But do you think that
> would work? If I use tuna, should I change the seasonings? I was
> thinking Italian seasoning might go better than the cumin and hot
> pepper. And perhaps parsley for the cilantro? What do you think"?
> Here's a link to the recipe.
>
> http://famfriends.tjrecipes.com/shrimp_cakes.htm
>
> I have looked online thinking I would find a tuna and bean cake
> recipe. I didn't really. I did find a tuna and corn cake one but it
> called for bread crumbs and I hate using gluten free bread for that. Just
> not so tasty. I'm also allergic to eggs which are often in bean
> cakes, so this recipe looked appealing.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>The Create channel is doing a shrimp marathon of cooking shows right now.

Daisy of Daisy Cooks made this recipe for shrimp and bean cakes that looked
really good. Except for one thing. I don't like shrimp! Okay, two things.
It also calls for flour. Since Angela is allergic to wheat, I can't use
that. I presume I could use the gluten free, four flour blend that I use
for other things, or the sweet rice flour, or maybe even brown rice flour to
coat. So I guess that really isn't the problem.<<

I think you could skip the coating altogether if you wish. It is probably
going to add only a little crispiness to the exterior. Crispiness is good,
of course. <G> If you want that, one of your alternates would probably work
well. (I haven't cooked with that kind of thing--yet--so I can't recommend
one over the other.)-

>> But the shrimp? I was

thinking I could substitute canned tuna. We both like that. But do you
think that would work? <<

The thing is that the shrimp are going to lend these a succulent element and
texture that will be sorely needed by the mashed beans. You wouldn't get
that with tuna/salmon. My inclination would be, if you sub in drained canned
light tuna, to delete the spanish onion and add chopped scallions instead to
provide more texture. (Actually, I would be tempted to do that no matter
what.)

>>If I use tuna, should I change the seasonings? I

was thinking Italian seasoning might go better than the cumin and hot
pepper. And perhaps parsley for the cilantro? What do you think"?<<

No, I would not change the seasonings from Mexican to Italian. I would kick
up the spices even if using shrimp. Add MORE cumin--1/4 tsp is a
ridiculously small amount for 1 lb of beans. I would definitely use
cilantro, not parsley, and I would use more of it. I would probably sub
minced jalapenos or ground chipotle for the scotch bonnet, because I always
have those on hand (and the smokiness of the chipotle would be a plus here).
The minced jalapenos would add texture, again.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

BTW, do you interpret this recipe as calling for 1 lb of dry beans, cooked
and drained, or 1 lb of cooked, drained beans? It looks like the former, but
that's a hell of a lot of beans for 6 appetizer servings!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> You could use the tuna but my preference would be crab, canned salmon or
> canned mackerel. I'm not a big fan of cilantor so I would sub curly
> parsley or even mint.

We don't like any of those things. Only tuna. Not sure how well mint would
go in there. I like mint. Just not in most food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>

>>>The Create channel is doing a shrimp marathon of cooking shows right now.

> Daisy of Daisy Cooks made this recipe for shrimp and bean cakes that
> looked
> really good. Except for one thing. I don't like shrimp! Okay, two
> things.
> It also calls for flour. Since Angela is allergic to wheat, I can't use
> that. I presume I could use the gluten free, four flour blend that I use
> for other things, or the sweet rice flour, or maybe even brown rice flour
> coat. So I guess that really isn't the problem.<<
>
> I think you could skip the coating altogether if you wish. It is probably
> going to add only a little crispiness to the exterior. Crispiness is good,
> of course. <G> If you want that, one of your alternates would probably
> work well. (I haven't cooked with that kind of thing--yet--so I can't
> recommend one over the other.)-
>
>>> But the shrimp? I was

> thinking I could substitute canned tuna. We both like that. But do you
> think that would work? <<
>
> The thing is that the shrimp are going to lend these a succulent element
> and texture that will be sorely needed by the mashed beans. You wouldn't
> get that with tuna/salmon. My inclination would be, if you sub in drained
> canned light tuna, to delete the spanish onion and add chopped scallions
> instead to provide more texture. (Actually, I would be tempted to do that
> no matter what.)
>
>>>If I use tuna, should I change the seasonings? I

> was thinking Italian seasoning might go better than the cumin and hot
> pepper. And perhaps parsley for the cilantro? What do you think"?<<
>
> No, I would not change the seasonings from Mexican to Italian. I would
> kick up the spices even if using shrimp. Add MORE cumin--1/4 tsp is a
> ridiculously small amount for 1 lb of beans. I would definitely use
> cilantro, not parsley, and I would use more of it. I would probably sub
> minced jalapenos or ground chipotle for the scotch bonnet, because I
> always have those on hand (and the smokiness of the chipotle would be a
> plus here). The minced jalapenos would add texture, again.

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>

> BTW, do you interpret this recipe as calling for 1 lb of dry beans, cooked
> and drained, or 1 lb of cooked, drained beans? It looks like the former,
> but that's a hell of a lot of beans for 6 appetizer servings!

She didn't use a lot of beans. She cooked some up, put half in the fridge
and used the rest. So she may have the quantity wrong. Hmmm...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 16, 2:22*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> The Create channel is doing a shrimp marathon of cooking shows right now.
> Daisy of Daisy Cooks made this recipe for shrimp and bean cakes that looked
> really good. *Except for one thing. *I don't like shrimp! *Okay, two things.
> It also calls for flour. *Since Angela is allergic to wheat, I can't use
> that. *I presume I could use the gluten free, four flour blend that I use
> for other things, or the sweet rice flour, or maybe even brown rice flour to
> coat. *So I guess that really isn't the problem. *But the shrimp? *I was
> thinking I could substitute canned tuna. *We both like that. *But do you
> think that would work? *If I use tuna, should I change the seasonings? *I
> was thinking Italian seasoning might go better than the cumin and hot
> pepper. *And perhaps parsley for the cilantro? *What do you think"?
>
> Here's a link to the recipe.
>
> http://famfriends.tjrecipes.com/shrimp_cakes.htm
>
> I have looked online thinking I would find a tuna and bean cake recipe. *I
> didn't really. *I did find a tuna and corn cake one but it called for bread
> crumbs and I hate using gluten free bread for that. *Just not so tasty. *I'm
> also allergic to eggs which are often in bean cakes, so this recipe looked
> appealing.
>
> Thanks!

Hey Julie, this might be a repeat post, Google Groups has been hit or
miss with these last few weeks.

I made vegetable fritters recently, using gram flour (aka chickpea
flour) instead of wheat flour. The bean flour is stickier than wheat
flour and there was no need to use egg as binder. The fritters I made
had green and yellow zucchini grated and salted to drain and then
squeezed dry in a cotton towel. I added ginger, onion, garlic, curry,
cumin, chilies, etc. and fried them in coconut oil and ate them with
cilantro-lime sauce. Bob's Red Mill makes chickpea flour (fava flour
and chickpea-fava mix flour too) and is widely available here in major
grocery chains.

Anyway, it seems like a recipe that could be easily adapted to other
ingredients. If I used canned tuna, I would probably also use Italian
seasonings and parsley and would fry them in olive oil.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On May 16, 2:22 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> The Create channel is doing a shrimp marathon of cooking shows right now.
> Daisy of Daisy Cooks made this recipe for shrimp and bean cakes that
> looked
> really good. Except for one thing. I don't like shrimp! Okay, two things.
> It also calls for flour. Since Angela is allergic to wheat, I can't use
> that. I presume I could use the gluten free, four flour blend that I use
> for other things, or the sweet rice flour, or maybe even brown rice flour
> coat. So I guess that really isn't the problem. But the shrimp? I was
> thinking I could substitute canned tuna. We both like that. But do you
> think that would work? If I use tuna, should I change the seasonings? I
> was thinking Italian seasoning might go better than the cumin and hot
> pepper. And perhaps parsley for the cilantro? What do you think"?
>
> Here's a link to the recipe.
>
> http://famfriends.tjrecipes.com/shrimp_cakes.htm
>
> I have looked online thinking I would find a tuna and bean cake recipe. I
> didn't really. I did find a tuna and corn cake one but it called for bread
> crumbs and I hate using gluten free bread for that. Just not so tasty. I'm
> also allergic to eggs which are often in bean cakes, so this recipe looked
> appealing.
>
> Thanks!

Hey Julie, this might be a repeat post, Google Groups has been hit or
miss with these last few weeks.

I made vegetable fritters recently, using gram flour (aka chickpea
flour) instead of wheat flour. The bean flour is stickier than wheat
flour and there was no need to use egg as binder. The fritters I made
had green and yellow zucchini grated and salted to drain and then
squeezed dry in a cotton towel. I added ginger, onion, garlic, curry,
cumin, chilies, etc. and fried them in coconut oil and ate them with
cilantro-lime sauce. Bob's Red Mill makes chickpea flour (fava flour
and chickpea-fava mix flour too) and is widely available here in major
grocery chains.

Anyway, it seems like a recipe that could be easily adapted to other
ingredients. If I used canned tuna, I would probably also use Italian
seasonings and parsley and would fry them in olive oil.

Thanks! I got this in e-mail but my reply wouldn't send. Got some kind of
error. I did have that kind of flour but eventually threw it out. It was
sooo old. I couldn't remember what I bought it for.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 16, 11:41*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Thanks! *I got this in e-mail but my reply wouldn't send. *Got some kind of
> error. *I did have that kind of flour but eventually threw it out. *It was
> sooo old. *I couldn't remember what I bought it for.- Hide quoted text -

It can be used to make hummus and it's a lot cheaper than the premade
mixes and easier than going from scratch. I also used it once to
supplement taco filling when all I had was a small knob of ground
beef, and it tasted much like refried beans. Sometimes meat just
isn't appetizing, but chickpeas always sound good to me. I make a
kind of skillet bread with it too, which is pretty good.

I keep it in the freezer, double baggied, and so far so good. But
then I go through it fairly quickly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the original seasonings would be fine with the tuna but i would substitute
scallops or imitation crab meat... and as to flour, i now make my own brown
rice flour in the blender when i want it, its just plain costs too much to
buy and is just plain too good to do without, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> The Create channel is doing a shrimp marathon of cooking shows right now.
> Daisy of Daisy Cooks made this recipe for shrimp and bean cakes that
> looked really good. Except for one thing. I don't like shrimp! Okay,
> two things. It also calls for flour. Since Angela is allergic to wheat, I
> can't use that. I presume I could use the gluten free, four flour blend
> that I use for other things, or the sweet rice flour, or maybe even brown
> rice flour to coat. So I guess that really isn't the problem. But the
> shrimp? I was thinking I could substitute canned tuna. We both like
> that. But do you think that would work? If I use tuna, should I change
> the seasonings? I was thinking Italian seasoning might go better than the
> cumin and hot pepper. And perhaps parsley for the cilantro? What do you
> think"?
>
> Here's a link to the recipe.
>
> http://famfriends.tjrecipes.com/shrimp_cakes.htm
>
> I have looked online thinking I would find a tuna and bean cake recipe. I
> didn't really. I did find a tuna and corn cake one but it called for
> bread crumbs and I hate using gluten free bread for that. Just not so
> tasty. I'm also allergic to eggs which are often in bean cakes, so this
> recipe looked appealing.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i think i might like the mint, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> You could use the tuna but my preference would be crab, canned salmon or
> canned mackerel. I'm not a big fan of cilantor so I would sub curly
> parsley or even mint.
>
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> The Create channel is doing a shrimp marathon of cooking shows right
>> now. Daisy of Daisy Cooks made this recipe for shrimp and bean cakes
>> that looked really good. Except for one thing. I don't like shrimp!
>> Okay, two things. It also calls for flour. Since Angela is allergic
>> to wheat, I can't use that. I presume I could use the gluten free,
>> four flour blend that I use for other things, or the sweet rice
>> flour, or maybe even brown rice flour to coat. So I guess that
>> really isn't the problem. But the shrimp? I was thinking I could
>> substitute canned tuna. We both like that. But do you think that
>> would work? If I use tuna, should I change the seasonings? I was
>> thinking Italian seasoning might go better than the cumin and hot
>> pepper. And perhaps parsley for the cilantro? What do you think"?
>> Here's a link to the recipe.
>>
>> http://famfriends.tjrecipes.com/shrimp_cakes.htm
>>
>> I have looked online thinking I would find a tuna and bean cake
>> recipe. I didn't really. I did find a tuna and corn cake one but it
>> called for bread crumbs and I hate using gluten free bread for that. Just
>> not so tasty. I'm also allergic to eggs which are often in bean
>> cakes, so this recipe looked appealing.
>>
>> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ok i need these recipes, chic peas are one of my favorites, and if my body
would allow me to not eat things with a face, this would be my food of
choice for protien, Lee
"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On May 16, 11:41 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Thanks! I got this in e-mail but my reply wouldn't send. Got some kind of
> error. I did have that kind of flour but eventually threw it out. It was
> sooo old. I couldn't remember what I bought it for.- Hide quoted text -

It can be used to make hummus and it's a lot cheaper than the premade
mixes and easier than going from scratch. I also used it once to
supplement taco filling when all I had was a small knob of ground
beef, and it tasted much like refried beans. Sometimes meat just
isn't appetizing, but chickpeas always sound good to me. I make a
kind of skillet bread with it too, which is pretty good.

I keep it in the freezer, double baggied, and so far so good. But
then I go through it fairly quickly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

what did you end up doing and how did it turn out, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> The Create channel is doing a shrimp marathon of cooking shows right now.
> Daisy of Daisy Cooks made this recipe for shrimp and bean cakes that
> looked really good. Except for one thing. I don't like shrimp! Okay,
> two things. It also calls for flour. Since Angela is allergic to wheat, I
> can't use that. I presume I could use the gluten free, four flour blend
> that I use for other things, or the sweet rice flour, or maybe even brown
> rice flour to coat. So I guess that really isn't the problem. But the
> shrimp? I was thinking I could substitute canned tuna. We both like
> that. But do you think that would work? If I use tuna, should I change
> the seasonings? I was thinking Italian seasoning might go better than the
> cumin and hot pepper. And perhaps parsley for the cilantro? What do you
> think"?
>
> Here's a link to the recipe.
>
> http://famfriends.tjrecipes.com/shrimp_cakes.htm
>
> I have looked online thinking I would find a tuna and bean cake recipe. I
> didn't really. I did find a tuna and corn cake one but it called for
> bread crumbs and I hate using gluten free bread for that. Just not so
> tasty. I'm also allergic to eggs which are often in bean cakes, so this
> recipe looked appealing.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> what did you end up doing and how did it turn out, Lee

I haven't made them yet. Suddenly Angela went off of tuna. Don't ask me
why.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 24, 1:26Â*pm, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> ok i need these recipes, chic peas are one of my favorites, and if my body
> would allow me to not eat things with a face, this would be my food of
> choice for protien, Lee

Yes, I'm kind of at the same place. I intended to try to grow
chickpeas this year, but forgot to plant them and now it is getting
too hot. I might try this winter. Bob's Red Mill brand is reasonably
priced, and a pound of the stuff goes a long way. If you have access
to Indian grocery, they usually have really reasonably priced bean
flours of all kinds, fava, gram, lentil, and mixes thereof.

I prefer very spicy, savory dishes, and use chickpea flour mainly for
Indian type dishes, but bean flour really has so many uses. The
skillet bread is really really good. I have a recipe from the old
country and here's a translation of my favorite recipe:

socca ta ċiċra ma ħwawar

1/4 cup plus 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 1/2 cups water at room temperature
1 cup of chickpea flour
coarse ground black pepper and salt to taste
fresh herbs of your choice to taste (I like fresh rosemary) -- dried
herbs aren't as good, so if you don't have herbs you could use the
green part of a spring onion or seeds, like fennel or cumin seeds)

The measurements are a little variable, depending on your flour and
the humidity and how you like it -- more water makes a thinner,
crisper socca.

Put the water in a big bowl and gradually whisk in the flour, salt,
and pepper and then set aside for at least 3 hours (you can store it
in the fridge after letting it proof).

Socca should be eaten immediately, like right out out of the pan. When
you're ready to make the socca, heat up your oven to as hot as
possible -- mine goes to 500F, but 400F will work -- put the
tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron frying pan or skillet and put
it in the oven. Skim off any foam of the batter and whisk in about a
1/4 cup of olive oil. When the skillet is hot and the olive oil is
about to smoke, pour in a thin layer of batter and sprinkle your herbs
over the top and bake it until it starts to crisp around the edges --
maybe 10 minutes, depending on how thick the socca and how hot the
oven.

When it's golden on top and has crisped around the edges to your
liking, pull it out of the oven and eat immediately.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Jun 24, 1:26 pm, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> ok i need these recipes, chic peas are one of my favorites, and if my body
> would allow me to not eat things with a face, this would be my food of
> choice for protien, Lee

Yes, I'm kind of at the same place. I intended to try to grow
chickpeas this year, but forgot to plant them and now it is getting
too hot. I might try this winter. Bob's Red Mill brand is reasonably
priced, and a pound of the stuff goes a long way. If you have access
to Indian grocery, they usually have really reasonably priced bean
flours of all kinds, fava, gram, lentil, and mixes thereof.

I prefer very spicy, savory dishes, and use chickpea flour mainly for
Indian type dishes, but bean flour really has so many uses. The
skillet bread is really really good. I have a recipe from the old
country and here's a translation of my favorite recipe:

socca ta cicra ma hwawar

[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
> On Jun 24, 1:26=C2=A0pm, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> > ok i need these recipes, chic peas are one of my favorites, and if my
> > bod=

> > would allow me to not eat things with a face, this would be my food of
> > choice for protien, Lee

> Yes, I'm kind of at the same place. I intended to try to grow
> chickpeas this year, but forgot to plant them and now it is getting
> too hot. I might try this winter. Bob's Red Mill brand is reasonably
> priced, and a pound of the stuff goes a long way. If you have access
> to Indian grocery, they usually have really reasonably priced bean
> flours of all kinds, fava, gram, lentil, and mixes thereof.
>
> I prefer very spicy, savory dishes, and use chickpea flour mainly for
> Indian type dishes, but bean flour really has so many uses. The
> skillet bread is really really good. I have a recipe from the old
> country and here's a translation of my favorite recipe:
>
> socca ta =C4=8Bi=C4=8Bra ma =C4=A7wawar
>
> 1/4 cup plus 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
> 2 1/2 cups water at room temperature
> 1 cup of chickpea flour
> coarse ground black pepper and salt to taste
> fresh herbs of your choice to taste (I like fresh rosemary) -- dried
> herbs aren't as good, so if you don't have herbs you could use the
> green part of a spring onion or seeds, like fennel or cumin seeds)
>
> The measurements are a little variable, depending on your flour and
> the humidity and how you like it -- more water makes a thinner,
> crisper socca.
>
> Put the water in a big bowl and gradually whisk in the flour, salt,
> and pepper and then set aside for at least 3 hours (you can store it
> in the fridge after letting it proof).
>
> Socca should be eaten immediately, like right out out of the pan. When
> you're ready to make the socca, heat up your oven to as hot as
> possible -- mine goes to 500F, but 400F will work -- put the
> tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron frying pan or skillet and put
> it in the oven. Skim off any foam of the batter and whisk in about a
> 1/4 cup of olive oil. When the skillet is hot and the olive oil is
> about to smoke, pour in a thin layer of batter and sprinkle your herbs
> over the top and bake it until it starts to crisp around the edges --
> maybe 10 minutes, depending on how thick the socca and how hot the
> oven.
>
> When it's golden on top and has crisped around the edges to your
> liking, pull it out of the oven and eat immediately.

Sounds good, Rica. Farinata? Chickpea pizza crust?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 25, 10:54*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Ricavito > wrote:
> > On Jun 24, 1:26=C2=A0pm, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> > > ok i need these recipes, chic peas are one of my favorites, and if my
> > > bod=

> > > would allow me to not eat things with a face, this would be my food of
> > > choice for protien, Lee

> > Yes, I'm kind of at the same place. *I intended to try to grow
> > chickpeas this year, but forgot to plant them and now it is getting
> > too hot. *I might try this winter. *Bob's Red Mill brand is reasonably
> > priced, and a pound of the stuff goes a long way. * If you have access
> > to Indian grocery, they usually have really reasonably priced bean
> > flours of all kinds, fava, gram, lentil, and mixes thereof.

> > I prefer very spicy, savory dishes, and use chickpea flour mainly for
> > Indian type dishes, but bean flour really has so many uses. *The
> > skillet bread is really really good. *I have a recipe from the old
> > country and here's a translation of my favorite recipe:

> > socca ta =C4=8Bi=C4=8Bra ma =C4=A7wawar

> > 1/4 cup plus 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
> > 2 1/2 cups water at room temperature
> > 1 cup of chickpea flour
> > coarse ground black pepper and salt to taste
> > fresh herbs of your choice to taste (I like fresh rosemary) -- dried
> > herbs aren't as good, so if you don't have herbs you could use the
> > green part of a spring onion or seeds, like fennel or cumin seeds)

> > The measurements are a little variable, depending on your flour and
> > the humidity and how you like it -- more water makes a thinner,
> > crisper socca.

> > Put the water in a big bowl and gradually whisk in the flour, salt,
> > and pepper and then set aside for at least 3 hours (you can store it
> > in the fridge after letting it proof).

> > Socca should be eaten immediately, like right out out of the pan. When
> > you're ready to make the socca, heat up your oven to as hot as
> > possible -- mine goes to 500F, but 400F will work -- put the
> > tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron frying pan or skillet and put
> > it in the oven. * Skim off any foam of the batter and whisk in about a
> > 1/4 cup of olive oil. *When the skillet is hot and the olive oil is
> > about to smoke, pour in a thin layer of batter and sprinkle your herbs
> > over the top and bake it until it starts to crisp around the edges --
> > maybe 10 minutes, depending on how thick the socca and how hot the
> > oven.

> > When it's golden on top and has crisped around the edges to your
> > liking, pull it out of the oven and eat immediately.

> Sounds good, Rica. Farinata? Chickpea pizza crust?
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: *https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/* *Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: *http://anymarine.com/* You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! * * * * * * * * ~Semper Fi~ * * * * * * * *USMC 1365061- Hide quoted text -

Yes! Pizza is a good idea, I'm thinking to cook it almost done and
then toss a cup of sundried tomatoes in oil and some buffalo
mozzarella. I might make that for dinner tomorrow night :-)

What's Jun making tonight? (good to have her back, huh? ;-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
> On Jun 25, 10:54=A0pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Sounds good, Rica. Farinata? Chickpea pizza crust?

> Yes! Pizza is a good idea, I'm thinking to cook it almost done and
> then toss a cup of sundried tomatoes in oil and some buffalo
> mozzarella. I might make that for dinner tomorrow night :-)
>
> What's Jun making tonight? (good to have her back, huh? ;-)

It's great having her back, Rica! She made me a nice steak, last night,
with a mushroom, garlic, onion and celery au jus plus 1/3 of an ear of
corn. When I got up at noon, she'd already left for work. FBG was 93. If
she works late, she might bring something home for me. I dunno!? Italian,
Thai, sushi? It's all good.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

one of my real isues, there are very few foods i won't eat, and fewer i
won't try if i haven't. Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Ricavito > wrote:
>> On Jun 25, 10:54=A0pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> > [ . . . ]
>> > Sounds good, Rica. Farinata? Chickpea pizza crust?

>> Yes! Pizza is a good idea, I'm thinking to cook it almost done and
>> then toss a cup of sundried tomatoes in oil and some buffalo
>> mozzarella. I might make that for dinner tomorrow night :-)
>>
>> What's Jun making tonight? (good to have her back, huh? ;-)

> It's great having her back, Rica! She made me a nice steak, last night,
> with a mushroom, garlic, onion and celery au jus plus 1/3 of an ear of
> corn. When I got up at noon, she'd already left for work. FBG was 93. If
> she works late, she might bring something home for me. I dunno!? Italian,
> Thai, sushi? It's all good.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

am still reading old posts so don't know if i asked before or if someone
else did, could you share the recipes you mention here, skillet bread would
be a very good thing for my comfor food right now, and the hum ano Lee
"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On May 16, 11:41 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Thanks! I got this in e-mail but my reply wouldn't send. Got some kind of
> error. I did have that kind of flour but eventually threw it out. It was
> sooo old. I couldn't remember what I bought it for.- Hide quoted text -

It can be used to make hummus and it's a lot cheaper than the premade
mixes and easier than going from scratch. I also used it once to
supplement taco filling when all I had was a small knob of ground
beef, and it tasted much like refried beans. Sometimes meat just
isn't appetizing, but chickpeas always sound good to me. I make a
kind of skillet bread with it too, which is pretty good.

I keep it in the freezer, double baggied, and so far so good. But
then I go through it fairly quickly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i see i already ask for and received them, should have read more first, lol,