Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner.

I did buy a small amount of food today. Costco now has the Sahale snacks
(nut/and/or seed and dried fruit mix) that I like. I am getting tired of
the peanut butter filled pretzels so I will eat that for a snack when the
pretzels are gone. Got some sliced apples, mainly for Angela but I do eat
them occasionally.

We stopped at Target and had popcorn and diet drinks for a snack. Angela
also had a hot dog with no bun. There, I got some thinly sliced turkey
(several packs because we seem to go through a lot of it) and Angela got
some yogurt.

Tomorrow I will buy some baby carrots and possibly a small amount of fresh
produce, depending on what they have at the store. We are doing a good job
of eating up the food that we already have.

Angela is eating some gluten free macaroni and cheese and some baby carrots.
I made myself a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion. Sadly, I
can not find any rice cheese to put on it. One store is out and the other
said their sales fell off so they can no longer buy it for me.

Was going to go to PCC Natural Market yesterday. They have one in Edmonds.
Although we were at my parent's house in Edmonds, the store is at the far
other end of the city and things did not work out the way I planned. The
only other thing (besides the cheese) I would have gotten was the free
serving of fruit or veg for Angela, so I couldn't warrant using the gas to
drive there. I am not hungry yet, so put the sandwich in the fridge to eat
in a little while. I will also have some baby carrots with that.

Oh yeah and Maui is having a pouch of Wellness brand salmon. Darned cat!
She would only eat this one brand of canned food that I had to mail order
and now she won't touch it. Will only eat the Wellness pouches. Am looking
for a place near here that is taking cat food donations. Seems there are
plenty at Christmas time but I can't find any now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I did buy a small amount of food today. Costco now has the Sahale snacks
>(nut/and/or seed and dried fruit mix) that I like. I am getting tired of
>the peanut butter filled pretzels so I will eat that for a snack when the
>pretzels are gone. Got some sliced apples, mainly for Angela but I do eat
>them occasionally.
>
> We stopped at Target and had popcorn and diet drinks for a snack. Angela
> also had a hot dog with no bun. There, I got some thinly sliced turkey
> (several packs because we seem to go through a lot of it) and Angela got
> some yogurt.
>
> Tomorrow I will buy some baby carrots and possibly a small amount of fresh
> produce, depending on what they have at the store. We are doing a good
> job of eating up the food that we already have.
>
> Angela is eating some gluten free macaroni and cheese and some baby
> carrots. I made myself a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion.
> Sadly, I can not find any rice cheese to put on it. One store is out and
> the other said their sales fell off so they can no longer buy it for me.
>
> Was going to go to PCC Natural Market yesterday. They have one in
> Edmonds. Although we were at my parent's house in Edmonds, the store is at
> the far other end of the city and things did not work out the way I
> planned. The only other thing (besides the cheese) I would have gotten
> was the free serving of fruit or veg for Angela, so I couldn't warrant
> using the gas to drive there. I am not hungry yet, so put the sandwich in
> the fridge to eat in a little while. I will also have some baby carrots
> with that.
>
> Oh yeah and Maui is having a pouch of Wellness brand salmon. Darned cat!
> She would only eat this one brand of canned food that I had to mail order
> and now she won't touch it. Will only eat the Wellness pouches. Am
> looking for a place near here that is taking cat food donations. Seems
> there are plenty at Christmas time but I can't find any now.

Why not hold onto the cat food for awhile, unless it takes up so much space
that you can't do that? Cats that turn their noses up at a favorite food
will often go back to it after awhile.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I did buy a small amount of food today. Costco now has the Sahale snacks
>>(nut/and/or seed and dried fruit mix) that I like. I am getting tired of
>>the peanut butter filled pretzels so I will eat that for a snack when the
>>pretzels are gone. Got some sliced apples, mainly for Angela but I do eat
>>them occasionally.
>>
>> We stopped at Target and had popcorn and diet drinks for a snack. Angela
>> also had a hot dog with no bun. There, I got some thinly sliced turkey
>> (several packs because we seem to go through a lot of it) and Angela got
>> some yogurt.
>>
>> Tomorrow I will buy some baby carrots and possibly a small amount of
>> fresh produce, depending on what they have at the store. We are doing a
>> good job of eating up the food that we already have.
>>
>> Angela is eating some gluten free macaroni and cheese and some baby
>> carrots. I made myself a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion.
>> Sadly, I can not find any rice cheese to put on it. One store is out and
>> the other said their sales fell off so they can no longer buy it for me.
>>
>> Was going to go to PCC Natural Market yesterday. They have one in
>> Edmonds. Although we were at my parent's house in Edmonds, the store is
>> at the far other end of the city and things did not work out the way I
>> planned. The only other thing (besides the cheese) I would have gotten
>> was the free serving of fruit or veg for Angela, so I couldn't warrant
>> using the gas to drive there. I am not hungry yet, so put the sandwich
>> in the fridge to eat in a little while. I will also have some baby
>> carrots with that.
>>
>> Oh yeah and Maui is having a pouch of Wellness brand salmon. Darned cat!
>> She would only eat this one brand of canned food that I had to mail order
>> and now she won't touch it. Will only eat the Wellness pouches. Am
>> looking for a place near here that is taking cat food donations. Seems
>> there are plenty at Christmas time but I can't find any now.
>>

> Why not hold onto the cat food for awhile, unless it takes up so much
> space that you can't do that? Cats that turn their noses up at a favorite
> food will often go back to it after awhile.

Space is an issue.

I will try every once in a while to give her a can and see if she will eat
it. She is hyperthyroid and while on meds, not on quite enough. The meds
were starting to cause a kidney problem. So she needs to eat more than
usual to keep her weight up. I fear she has lost a little and the vet
didn't want her losing any more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>I did buy a small amount of food today. Costco now has the Sahale snacks
>>>(nut/and/or seed and dried fruit mix) that I like. I am getting tired of
>>>the peanut butter filled pretzels so I will eat that for a snack when the
>>>pretzels are gone. Got some sliced apples, mainly for Angela but I do
>>>eat them occasionally.
>>>
>>> We stopped at Target and had popcorn and diet drinks for a snack.
>>> Angela also had a hot dog with no bun. There, I got some thinly sliced
>>> turkey (several packs because we seem to go through a lot of it) and
>>> Angela got some yogurt.
>>>
>>> Tomorrow I will buy some baby carrots and possibly a small amount of
>>> fresh produce, depending on what they have at the store. We are doing a
>>> good job of eating up the food that we already have.
>>>
>>> Angela is eating some gluten free macaroni and cheese and some baby
>>> carrots. I made myself a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion.
>>> Sadly, I can not find any rice cheese to put on it. One store is out
>>> and the other said their sales fell off so they can no longer buy it for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Was going to go to PCC Natural Market yesterday. They have one in
>>> Edmonds. Although we were at my parent's house in Edmonds, the store is
>>> at the far other end of the city and things did not work out the way I
>>> planned. The only other thing (besides the cheese) I would have gotten
>>> was the free serving of fruit or veg for Angela, so I couldn't warrant
>>> using the gas to drive there. I am not hungry yet, so put the sandwich
>>> in the fridge to eat in a little while. I will also have some baby
>>> carrots with that.
>>>
>>> Oh yeah and Maui is having a pouch of Wellness brand salmon. Darned
>>> cat! She would only eat this one brand of canned food that I had to mail
>>> order and now she won't touch it. Will only eat the Wellness pouches.
>>> Am looking for a place near here that is taking cat food donations.
>>> Seems there are plenty at Christmas time but I can't find any now.
>>>

>> Why not hold onto the cat food for awhile, unless it takes up so much
>> space that you can't do that? Cats that turn their noses up at a
>> favorite food will often go back to it after awhile.

> Space is an issue.
>
> I will try every once in a while to give her a can and see if she will eat
> it. She is hyperthyroid and while on meds, not on quite enough. The meds
> were starting to cause a kidney problem. So she needs to eat more than
> usual to keep her weight up. I fear she has lost a little and the vet
> didn't want her losing any more.

Innova EVO 95% is an excellent cat food (and so is Wellness). There are no
grains in EVO, which cats should not have. Wellness also has grain-free
canned food, and I use both of those brands. However, EVO has a softer
texture and cats really seem to love it. It is rather pricey, but I
mentioned it because of the need to keep weight on your cat.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jan 31, 7:45*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I did buy a small amount of food today. *Costco now has the Sahale snacks
> (nut/and/or seed and dried fruit mix) that I like. *I am getting tired of
> the peanut butter filled pretzels so I will eat that for a snack when the
> pretzels are gone. *Got some sliced apples, mainly for Angela but I do eat
> them occasionally.
>
> We stopped at Target and had popcorn and diet drinks for a snack. *Angela
> also had a hot dog with no bun. *There, I got some thinly sliced turkey
> (several packs because we seem to go through a lot of it) and Angela got
> some yogurt.
>
> Tomorrow I will buy some baby carrots and possibly a small amount of fresh
> produce, depending on what they have at the store. *We are doing a good job
> of eating up the food that we already have.
>
> Angela is eating some gluten free macaroni and cheese and some baby carrots.
> I made myself a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion. *Sadly, I
> can not find any rice cheese to put on it. *One store is out and the other
> said their sales fell off so they can no longer buy it for me.
>
> Was going to go to PCC Natural Market yesterday. *They have one in Edmonds.
> Although we were at my parent's house in Edmonds, the store is at the far
> other end of the city and things did not work out the way I planned. *The
> only other thing (besides the cheese) I would have gotten was the free
> serving of fruit or veg for Angela, so I couldn't warrant using the gas to
> drive there. *I am not hungry yet, so put the sandwich in the fridge to eat
> in a little while. *I will also have some baby carrots with that.
>
> Oh yeah and Maui is having a pouch of Wellness brand salmon. *Darned cat!
> She would only eat this one brand of canned food that I had to mail order
> and now she won't touch it. *Will only eat the Wellness pouches. *Am looking
> for a place near here that is taking cat food donations. *Seems there are
> plenty at Christmas time but I can't find any now.

Yesterday I made a sort of vegetable ratatouille in the slow cooker
and after the vegetables were cooked into submission, I took half of
it, added a couple tablespoons of yogurt and a couple tablespoons of
heavy cream and useed a stick blender to make a vegetable bisque. I
chopped up one leftover slice of stale baguette from my DH's lunch,
brushed them with a little butter, and slid them under broiler for a
minute and sprinkled them on our bowls of bisque. After I added salt,
black pepper, and hot sauce, it was pretty darn good.

I've got half the vegetable soup left over and and will probably make
it tonight, sans the baguette. What else could I use for that crunch
though? Maybe half a double fiber english muffin...

I hope Maui cooperates and starts eating the cat food you got for
her. In the past I've had kitties that as they aged needed extra
help to keep on weight and my DH would cook dark meat chicken parts
very lightly for them as a supplement to their regular diet. The vet
also had something he called "cheater" pills and I never figured out
what that was, but it would briefly stimulate the cat's appetite.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Why not hold onto the cat food for awhile, unless it takes up so much
>>> space that you can't do that? Cats that turn their noses up at a
>>> favorite food will often go back to it after awhile.

>> Space is an issue.
>>
>> I will try every once in a while to give her a can and see if she will
>> eat it. She is hyperthyroid and while on meds, not on quite enough. The
>> meds were starting to cause a kidney problem. So she needs to eat more
>> than usual to keep her weight up. I fear she has lost a little and the
>> vet didn't want her losing any more.
>>

> Innova EVO 95% is an excellent cat food (and so is Wellness). There are
> no grains in EVO, which cats should not have. Wellness also has
> grain-free canned food, and I use both of those brands. However, EVO has
> a softer texture and cats really seem to love it. It is rather pricey,
> but I mentioned it because of the need to keep weight on your cat.

Maui won't eat the EVO. I've tried. She won't eat the canned Wellness
either, although she used to. Of course once I stocked up on that she went
off of it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
> [...]

chopped up one leftover slice of stale baguette from my DH's lunch,
brushed them with a little butter, and slid them under broiler for a
minute and sprinkled them on our bowls of bisque. After I added salt,
black pepper, and hot sauce, it was pretty darn good.

I've got half the vegetable soup left over and and will probably make
it tonight, sans the baguette. What else could I use for that crunch
though? Maybe half a double fiber english muffin...

I hope Maui cooperates and starts eating the cat food you got for
her. In the past I've had kitties that as they aged needed extra
help to keep on weight and my DH would cook dark meat chicken parts
very lightly for them as a supplement to their regular diet. The vet
also had something he called "cheater" pills and I never figured out
what that was, but it would briefly stimulate the cat's appetite.

I've tried cooking chicken for her and she won't eat it. She does like thin
sliced lunch meat and she did like the turkey my mom fixed. I got her the
Fancy Feast entrees which are just cooked meat. She seems to like them but
she pukes them right back up. So not good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message

I've got half the vegetable soup left over and and will probably make
it tonight, sans the baguette. What else could I use for that crunch
though? Maybe half a double fiber english muffin...

=========

Hi Rica, I eat a lot of soup in the winter and sometimes I make a one or
two of these just for the crunch factor. I like them and they are fast if
you have flaxseed meal on hand. I can't remember who posted the recipe, but
I like it.

Cheri

2 Tbsp flaxmeal
1 Tbsp water
whatever seasoning you like...suggestions are..
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, onion salt, galic salt, grated parm
cheese...etc etc..you are limited only by your imagination..

Mix thoroughly and spead thin on parchment paper..cook in mic about 2 to 3
minutes till crispy. Remove from parchment and break into pieces.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

>>> Space is an issue.
>>>
>>> I will try every once in a while to give her a can and see if she will
>>> eat it. She is hyperthyroid and while on meds, not on quite enough.
>>> The meds were starting to cause a kidney problem. So she needs to eat
>>> more than usual to keep her weight up. I fear she has lost a little and
>>> the vet didn't want her losing any more.
>>>

>> Innova EVO 95% is an excellent cat food (and so is Wellness). There are
>> no grains in EVO, which cats should not have. Wellness also has
>> grain-free canned food, and I use both of those brands. However, EVO has
>> a softer texture and cats really seem to love it. It is rather pricey,
>> but I mentioned it because of the need to keep weight on your cat.

> Maui won't eat the EVO. I've tried. She won't eat the canned Wellness
> either, although she used to. Of course once I stocked up on that she
> went off of it.

Julie,
Did you Vet mention something like Nutri Cal for cats? You can get it at
most pet stores...it is very tasty to a cat and is high calorie. I have used
it on many cats when I did rescue. It may also help perk up her appetite.
Might be worth a try if you are really concerned about her weight.
Jacquie

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Feb 1, 11:52*am, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

> I've got half the vegetable soup left over and and will probably make
> it tonight, sans the baguette. *What else could I use for that crunch
> though? *Maybe half a double fiber english muffin...
>
> =========
>
> *Hi Rica, I eat a lot of soup in the winter and sometimes I make a one or
> two of these just for the crunch factor. I like them and they are fast if
> you have flaxseed meal on hand. I can't remember who posted the recipe, but
> I like it.
>
> Cheri
>
> 2 Tbsp flaxmeal
> 1 Tbsp water
> whatever seasoning you like...suggestions are..
> salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, onion salt, galic salt, grated parm
> cheese...etc etc..you are limited only by your imagination..
>
> Mix thoroughly and spead thin on parchment paper..cook in mic about 2 to 3
> minutes till crispy. Remove from parchment and break into pieces.

Yum, that looks good, Cheri, thanks, I had soup for lunch at work, and
brought home the piece of bread they put in the bag with the carton of
soup, so I just repeated last night's dinner. I'm in a soup kind of
mind, I guess.

I do have a bag of flax meal that I've been wondering what to do
with. I will give the chip recipe a try--it looks especially like a
good recipe b/c it can go in the microwave. In fact, you've given me
an idea for an alternative Superbowl dip delivery system for a partay
this weekend. I was looking for something a little more toothsome
than jicama sticks :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
news

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Innova EVO 95% is an excellent cat food (and so is Wellness). There are
>>> no grains in EVO, which cats should not have. Wellness also has
>>> grain-free canned food, and I use both of those brands. However, EVO
>>> has a softer texture and cats really seem to love it. It is rather
>>> pricey, but I mentioned it because of the need to keep weight on your
>>> cat.

>> Maui won't eat the EVO. I've tried. She won't eat the canned Wellness
>> either, although she used to. Of course once I stocked up on that she
>> went off of it.
>>

> Julie,
> Did you Vet mention something like Nutri Cal for cats? You can get it at
> most pet stores...it is very tasty to a cat and is high calorie. I have
> used it on many cats when I did rescue. It may also help perk up her
> appetite. Might be worth a try if you are really concerned about her
> weight.
> Jacquie

No, she didn't mention it. Nothing wrong with her appetite though. Just
picky.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> news
>> Julie,
>> Did you Vet mention something like Nutri Cal for cats? You can get it at
>> most pet stores...it is very tasty to a cat and is high calorie. I have
>> used it on many cats when I did rescue. It may also help perk up her
>> appetite. Might be worth a try if you are really concerned about her
>> weight.
>> Jacquie

> No, she didn't mention it. Nothing wrong with her appetite though. Just
> picky.

Is it possible that her sense of smell has diminished, either through age or
through illness? If so, it is often helpful to use canned food and to nuke
it for a short time (just enough to warm it, not enough to be too hot).
That intensifies the scent.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> Julie,
>>> Did you Vet mention something like Nutri Cal for cats? You can get it
>>> at most pet stores...it is very tasty to a cat and is high calorie. I
>>> have used it on many cats when I did rescue. It may also help perk up
>>> her appetite. Might be worth a try if you are really concerned about her
>>> weight.
>>> Jacquie

>> No, she didn't mention it. Nothing wrong with her appetite though. Just
>> picky.
>>

> Is it possible that her sense of smell has diminished, either through age
> or through illness? If so, it is often helpful to use canned food and to
> nuke it for a short time (just enough to warm it, not enough to be too
> hot). That intensifies the scent.

I don't think so.

She will only eat food at room temperature. No different.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message

good recipe b/c it can go in the microwave. In fact, you've given me
an idea for an alternative Superbowl dip delivery system for a partay
this weekend. I was looking for something a little more toothsome
than jicama sticks :-)

========

Who are you pulling for in the SB Rica? Us, Indianapolis.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When I worked in a Pet Hospital in AK , we would heat dog food or cat food
for the picky eater...they loved it but man it sure could stink up the place
for a while...LOL. Thank goodness that MW wasn't for us to heat our
lunches...LOL.

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> Julie,
>>> Did you Vet mention something like Nutri Cal for cats? You can get it
>>> at most pet stores...it is very tasty to a cat and is high calorie. I
>>> have used it on many cats when I did rescue. It may also help perk up
>>> her appetite. Might be worth a try if you are really concerned about her
>>> weight.
>>> Jacquie

>> No, she didn't mention it. Nothing wrong with her appetite though. Just
>> picky.
>>

> Is it possible that her sense of smell has diminished, either through age
> or through illness? If so, it is often helpful to use canned food and to
> nuke it for a short time (just enough to warm it, not enough to be too
> hot). That intensifies the scent.
>
> MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> Julie,
>>>
>>> No, she didn't mention it. Nothing wrong with her appetite though.
>>> Just picky.
>>>

>> Is it possible that her sense of smell has diminished, either through age
>> or through illness? If so, it is often helpful to use canned food and to
>> nuke it for a short time (just enough to warm it, not enough to be too
>> hot). That intensifies the scent.

> I don't think so.
>
> She will only eat food at room temperature. No different.

Actually, it's not the same. Cat food that is warmed in the microwave (even
if it starts out at room temperature) takes on a much more intense
scent/odor. We usually don't like it, but cats do. It can be a major
attractant for them.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Is it possible that her sense of smell has diminished, either through
>>> age or through illness? If so, it is often helpful to use canned food
>>> and to nuke it for a short time (just enough to warm it, not enough to
>>> be too hot). That intensifies the scent.

>> I don't think so.
>>
>> She will only eat food at room temperature. No different.
>>

> Actually, it's not the same. Cat food that is warmed in the microwave
> (even if it starts out at room temperature) takes on a much more intense
> scent/odor. We usually don't like it, but cats do. It can be a major
> attractant for them.

Maui won't eat food that has been in the microwave. I tried it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

>>> I don't think so.
>>>
>>> She will only eat food at room temperature. No different.
>>>

>> Actually, it's not the same. Cat food that is warmed in the microwave
>> (even if it starts out at room temperature) takes on a much more intense
>> scent/odor. We usually don't like it, but cats do. It can be a major
>> attractant for them.

> Maui won't eat food that has been in the microwave. I tried it.

Okay, now I see what you meant by "no different." I misinterpreted. Sorry
I can't help.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Feb 2, 11:14*am, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

> good recipe b/c it can go in the microwave. *In fact, you've given me
> an idea for an alternative Superbowl dip delivery system for a partay
> this weekend. *I was looking for something a little more toothsome
> than jicama sticks :-)
>
> ========
>
> Who are you pulling for in the SB Rica? Us, Indianapolis.
>
> Cheri

It would be nice to see the Saints win their first SB, but then the
Colts deserve it too, especially Peyton Manning. But I don't have
much invested emotionally either way (and didn't place any bets), so I
will mainly be watching for the commercials :-)

We'll be up at Russian River at a friend's cabin, so it'll be a fun
weekend getaway.
Member

Nice posts...thanx for this..
but other than food, walking or jogging for more than 2 km a day is also utmost to recover Diabetics.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"tom.smart71" > wrote in message

> Nice posts...thanx for this..
> but other than food, walking or jogging for more than 2 km a day is also
> utmost to recover Diabetics.

Recover us? With what? Velvet?