FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chicken With Bacon, Cream And Thyme (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/39265-chicken-bacon-cream-thyme.html)

Hahabogus 19-10-2004 10:53 AM

Chicken With Bacon, Cream And Thyme

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken With Bacon, Cream And Thyme

Recipe By :Karen Barnaby
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken Main Dish
Poultry

4 boneless chicken breasts - (6 oz ea) -- with skin
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 garlic clove -- minced
8 slices bacon
8 small fresh thyme sprigs
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
1 cup whipping cream
Salt -- to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly salt and pepper the chicken breasts. Wrap two pieces of bacon
around each chicken breast, forming an X in the middle of the skin side of
each breast. Tuck two sprigs of thyme behind the bacon.

Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan that can go into the oven over
medium-high heat. Place the chicken breasts, bacon-side down in the pan
and cook until the bacon and chicken skin is browned. Turn over and cook
until the other side is browned.

Drain off the fat and add the stock or water, cream and garlic. Bring to a
boil and place in the oven. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes until the
cream has thickened.

Remove from the oven and season with salt and pepper. Let rest a few
minutes before serving.

This recipe yields 4 servings.

Total Carbohydrates: 7.592 grams
Total Carbohydrates minus Fiber: 7.529 grams
Carbohydrates per Serving: 1.89 grams
Carbohydrates per Serving minus Fiber: 1.88 grams

Source:
"Karen's Gourmet Low-Carb Recipes at http://www.lowcarb.ca"
S(Formatted for MC6):
"05-29-2003 by Joe Comiskey - Mad's Recipe Emporium"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 309 Calories; 32g Fat (91.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 92mg
Cholesterol; 225mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-
Fat Milk; 6 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
Starchless in Manitoba.

Alan 19-10-2004 01:38 PM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:53:03 GMT, Hahabogus >
wrote:

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Chicken With Bacon, Cream And Thyme
>
>Recipe By :Karen Barnaby
>Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : Chicken Main Dish
> Poultry

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 4 boneless chicken breasts - (6 oz ea) -- with skin
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 1 garlic clove -- minced
> 8 slices bacon
> 8 small fresh thyme sprigs
> 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
> 1 cup whipping cream
> Salt -- to taste
> Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste
>
>Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
>
>Lightly salt and pepper the chicken breasts. Wrap two pieces of bacon
>around each chicken breast, forming an X in the middle of the skin side of
>each breast. Tuck two sprigs of thyme behind the bacon.
>
>Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan that can go into the oven over
>medium-high heat. Place the chicken breasts, bacon-side down in the pan
>and cook until the bacon and chicken skin is browned. Turn over and cook
>until the other side is browned.
>
>Drain off the fat and add the stock or water, cream and garlic. Bring to a
>boil and place in the oven. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes until the
>cream has thickened.
>
>Remove from the oven and season with salt and pepper. Let rest a few
>minutes before serving.
>
>This recipe yields 4 servings.
>
>Total Carbohydrates: 7.592 grams
>Total Carbohydrates minus Fiber: 7.529 grams
>Carbohydrates per Serving: 1.89 grams
>Carbohydrates per Serving minus Fiber: 1.88 grams
>
>Source:
> "Karen's Gourmet Low-Carb Recipes at http://www.lowcarb.ca"
>S(Formatted for MC6):
> "05-29-2003 by Joe Comiskey - Mad's Recipe Emporium"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 309 Calories; 32g Fat (91.0%
>calories from fat); 5g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 92mg
>Cholesterol; 225mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-
>Fat Milk; 6 Fat.
>

>Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Hi Haha

This is another of those recipes that puzzle me. I often wonder how some
cookbooks work out carbs etc. The final bit looks right to me:

"Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 309 Calories; 32g Fat (91.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
92mg Cholesterol; 225mg Sodium."

But where on earth does that other bit come from:

"Total Carbohydrates: 7.592 grams
Total Carbohydrates minus Fiber: 7.529 grams
Carbohydrates per Serving: 1.89 grams
Carbohydrates per Serving minus Fiber: 1.88 grams"

Did someone dump psyllium husk in the cream?

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.

Alan 19-10-2004 01:38 PM

Jennifer 19-10-2004 03:49 PM

Alan wrote:

>>This recipe yields 4 servings.
>>
>>Total Carbohydrates: 7.592 grams
>>Total Carbohydrates minus Fiber: 7.529 grams
>>Carbohydrates per Serving: 1.89 grams
>>Carbohydrates per Serving minus Fiber: 1.88 grams

> Hi Haha
>
> This is another of those recipes that puzzle me. I often wonder how some
> cookbooks work out carbs etc. The final bit looks right to me:
>
> "Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 309 Calories; 32g Fat (91.0%
> calories from fat); 5g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
> 92mg Cholesterol; 225mg Sodium."
>
> But where on earth does that other bit come from:
>
> "Total Carbohydrates: 7.592 grams
> Total Carbohydrates minus Fiber: 7.529 grams
> Carbohydrates per Serving: 1.89 grams
> Carbohydrates per Serving minus Fiber: 1.88 grams"
>
> Did someone dump psyllium husk in the cream?

Alan...

I think you may be misreading this.

According to what I read it claims only to have trace fiber.

The Total carb count for the whole recipe is: 7.592g
The carb count AFTER you remove the fiber is: 7.529g

So the claim for fiber is only 0.063g for the whole recipe.

Jennifer

Jennifer 19-10-2004 03:49 PM

Alan 19-10-2004 10:38 PM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:49:46 -0700, Jennifer
> wrote:

>Alan wrote:
>
>>>This recipe yields 4 servings.
>>>
>>>Total Carbohydrates: 7.592 grams
>>>Total Carbohydrates minus Fiber: 7.529 grams
>>>Carbohydrates per Serving: 1.89 grams
>>>Carbohydrates per Serving minus Fiber: 1.88 grams

>> Hi Haha
>>
>> This is another of those recipes that puzzle me. I often wonder how some
>> cookbooks work out carbs etc. The final bit looks right to me:
>>
>> "Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 309 Calories; 32g Fat (91.0%
>> calories from fat); 5g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
>> 92mg Cholesterol; 225mg Sodium."
>>
>> But where on earth does that other bit come from:
>>
>> "Total Carbohydrates: 7.592 grams
>> Total Carbohydrates minus Fiber: 7.529 grams
>> Carbohydrates per Serving: 1.89 grams
>> Carbohydrates per Serving minus Fiber: 1.88 grams"
>>
>> Did someone dump psyllium husk in the cream?

>Alan...
>
>I think you may be misreading this.
>
>According to what I read it claims only to have trace fiber.
>
>The Total carb count for the whole recipe is: 7.592g
>The carb count AFTER you remove the fiber is: 7.529g
>
>So the claim for fiber is only 0.063g for the whole recipe.
>
>Jennifer

You're quite correct; between reading it and writing it I stuffed it up.

I'm still trying to work out where the 7.592 came from in that list of
ingredients. It looks almost zero carb. Anyway, not worth getting
excited:-)