FoodBanter.com

-   -   SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/37334-scallops-mushroom-sauce.html)

Hahabogus 03-10-2004 04:49 PM

SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

I'm guessing you can use a non-starch thickener to replace the flour in
this.

SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

Recipe from: "The Art of Irish Cooking", Monica Sheridan, 1965

[ ] are Charlie's notes

8 medium sea scallops
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk [use full fat milk]
1 onion [chopped]
2 tbs. butter
2 tbs. flour
1/2 cup cream
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tbs. Irish whiskey
1/4 lb. small mushrooms [chopped]
browned breadcrumbs
[additional butter for dotting]

Simmer the scallops, bay leaf, salt and pepper in milk for 5 minutes.
Remove
the scallops and cut into 4 or 5 slices. Strain the milk and reserve.

Melt [soften] the chopped onion in butter. Now add flour, stir well.
Gradually add heated milk and cream, crushed garlic, and whiskey [I use a
whole tbs.]. Cook for 5 minutes. Lastly, add chopped mushrooms and sliced
scallops. Butter 4 deep scallop shells and divide the mixture among them [I
use small ramekins]. Top with breadcrumbs and dots of butter and brown
under
the broiler [/grill]. 4 servings.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.