Hahabogus

Default CURRIED CHICKEN-COCONUT SOUP

CURRIED CHICKEN-COCONUT SOUP

3 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 cup chopped green onions
2 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass* (from about 4 stalks)
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
4 large chicken thighs with bones (about 1 1/2 pounds)

1 6-ounce package baby spinach leaves
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Lime wedges

Special equipment: pressure cooker
Combine first 6 ingredients in 6- to 8-quart pressure cooker. Remove skin
from chicken; add chicken to cooker. Lock lid in place. Bring to high
pressure over high heat. Cook 8 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary to
maintain high pressure. Remove from heat. Let pressure come down naturally
8 minutes. Quick-release any remaining pressure.

Slowly release lid, standing back and allowing steam to escape. Transfer
chicken to work surface; cool briefly. Remove bones. Cut chicken into 1/2-
inch cubes. Return chicken to soup; add spinach. Simmer until spinach
wilts, about 1 minute. Add lime juice. Season soup to taste with salt and
pepper. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve, passing lime
wedges separately.

*Available at Asian markets and in the produce section of some
supermarkets.

Makes 6 first-course or 4 main-course servings.
Bon Appétit
October 2003

rate this recipe
87% would make
this recipe again

tbrian from San Francisco on 09/28/04
This one makes you fell like a pro. I impressed even myself! Pressure
cookers should be in everyone's lineup. I want to try this soup with a
cubed potatoe tossed in. Have a hanky handy, it'a hottie.

shapoo from Arizona on 09/27/04
This was our first time experimenting with coconut milk. This was THE most
delicious soup we've ever tasted. The combination of flavors are out of
this world. Will definately make it time and time again. Made no changes to
the recipe.......none needed!

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Nicky

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> CURRIED CHICKEN-COCONUT SOUP
>

> 3 cups low-salt chicken broth
> 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
> 3/4 cup chopped green onions
> 2 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
> 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass* (from about 4 stalks)
> 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
> 4 large chicken thighs with bones (about 1 1/2 pounds)
>
> 1 6-ounce package baby spinach leaves
> 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
> Lime wedges

If you leave out the stock, this makes a good curry consistency for carbers
to mop up with naan bread, or for serving over cauliflower rice.

Just gently fry the onions and curry powder for a minute, then add the rest
of the first lot of ingredients and simmer until the chicken's cooked. Add
the second lot of ingredients right at the end, and serve with lime wedges,
sauce sopper-up of choice, and a salad.

Nicky.

--
HgBA1C 10.5/6.4/<6 Weight 95/82/72