Hahabogus

Default MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN

MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN

click photo to enlarge

6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 2 1/2 pounds)

1 1/2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms (such as oyster, crimini, and stemmed
shiitake), sliced
1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
2/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives
3 plum tomatoes, seeded, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped shallot
1 tablespoon drained capers
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) chilled butter
1 cup teardrop tomatoes (red and yellow)

3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Caper berries, halved (optional)
Preheat oven to 200°F. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over high
heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, add
chicken to skillet. Cook until brown and just cooked through, about 3
minutes per side. Transfer to ovenproof plate and place in oven to keep
warm. Discard oil from skillet.

Add 3 tablespoons oil to same skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté
until wilted and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add broth; boil until
almost all liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add olives, plum tomatoes,
garlic, shallot, and capers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to
medium and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Add
butter; stir until melted. Mix in teardrop tomatoes. Season to taste with
salt and pepper.

Spoon mushroom mixture over chicken. Sprinkle parsley and pine nuts over.
Garnish with caper berries, if desired, and serve.

Market tip: Capers are flower buds from the caper bush, and caper berries
are the fruit. They are about the size of an olive, and are usually pickled
and sold in jars. They can be found at Italian markets, specialty foods
stores, and some supermarkets.

Makes 8 servings.
Bon Appétit
March 2004

rate this recipe
88% would make
this recipe again

mary_324 from Chicago, IL on 09/10/04
Felt like a professional chef when I served this. It presents beautifully
and tastes better than it looks.

A Cook from Atlanta, GA on 08/15/04
There are plenty of variations which will not adversely affect this dish--
in fact, that's one of its attributes--nothing has to be exact; whatever
mushrooms, diced red and yellow tomatoes instead of teardrop or grape, a
touch of balsamic vinegar, the sundried tomatoes (I used a little sundried
tomato paste I found in a tube at the grocery!), don't watch the clock and
just let it reduce and then hold it however long. . . it's very easy and
should not intimidate any cook. We served it over grilled salmon--I have
been searching for something new to top the wild salmon we eat several
times a week in season; this was terrific and a very pretty presentation,
sprinkled with the parsley and pine nuts. Served with green beans and ripe
sliced tomatoes, yellow and red, with balsamic vinegar and sea salt. A
lovely French rose wine was perfect. Yum; this is definitely a keeper. Look
forward to trying it on chicken too.
--
Starchless in Manitoba.