Julie Bove

Default Looking for soup recipe

In making our cross country move, we ran across a delicious soup in two
different restaurants. It was a cheese soup with dumplings in it. It
tasted like macaroni and cheese. I believe the first two letters of the
soup were "kn". I also believe that both restaurants that served it were
located in North Dakota. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am looking
for the name of the soup and/or a recipe. From the best I can gather in
searching the Internet, it seems to be a German Russian recipe. I have
found dumpling soups (mostly in chicken broth) and also some cheese and
potato dumplings that can be added to the broth of your choice or served
with gravy. I realize this soup is probably not suitable for a diabetic,
but my daughter loved it and I'd like to make it. In the meantime, I think
I'll try the potato and cheese dumplings served in a broth with non-starchy
vegetables. That way I can eat more soup and less dumplings.

Thanks!

Julie Bove

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message

> Could you perhaps mean gnocchi? (pronounced: no key)

No. That's Italian and AFAIK it's not made into soup.

Alan_B

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> In making our cross country move, we ran across a delicious soup in
> two different restaurants. It was a cheese soup with dumplings in it.
> It tasted like macaroni and cheese. I believe the first two letters
> of the soup were "kn". I also believe that both restaurants that
> served it were located in North Dakota. Does this sound familiar to
> anyone? I am looking for the name of the soup and/or a recipe. From
> the best I can gather in searching the Internet, it seems to be a
> German Russian recipe. I have found dumpling soups (mostly in chicken
> broth) and also some cheese and potato dumplings that can be added to
> the broth of your choice or served with gravy. I realize this soup is
> probably not suitable for a diabetic, but my daughter loved it and I'd
> like to make it. In the meantime, I think I'll try the potato and
> cheese dumplings served in a broth with non-starchy vegetables. That
> way I can eat more soup and less dumplings.
>
> Thanks!

Anything else in it other than it was a cheese soup with dumplings? I have
a mess of recipes, several thousand for soups...Possibly with more
ingredient I might find it.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
Julie Bove

"Alan_B" > wrote in message

> Anything else in it other than it was a cheese soup with dumplings? I have
> a mess of recipes, several thousand for soups...Possibly with more
> ingredient I might find it.

As I recall, the soup appeared to be dumplings in a cheese soup. I found a
recipe on the Internet for something called Kartoffel Boller. It is cheese
(cheddar) dumplings made with potatoes, butter, flour, eggs, salt and
pepper. The recipe says to roll them into little balls, drop in boiling
water and poach for 10 minutes. You are then to drain and serve with gravy
or put in soup.

I made these tonight, using whole wheat flour. I also dropped them like you
would Spaetzle, into the water. Too much trouble making the balls! As I
feared, much of the cheese and butter melted out into the water. I cooked
the dumplings, then added them to a non-starchy vegetable soup in chicken
broth. It was very good, but not as rich as the soup in the restaurant.

I think the restaurant simply dropped the dumplings into some hot broth.
The cheese and butter then melted out, giving the appearance of a cheese
soup.

The dumplings were still yummy, despite the fact that much of them melted
out and didn't make it into my soup. I will definitely be trying this
again, next time dropping the dumplings directly into my soup. But I also
think next time I will just use a plain chicken or vegetable broth. I will
then serve it in small portions accompanied by a salad. The dumplings are
very rich! I had soup and salad tonight, but also gave sandwiches and raw
veggies to Angela and my husband. It was just too much food!

Karen

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> In making our cross country move, we ran across a delicious soup in two
> different restaurants. It was a cheese soup with dumplings in it. It
> tasted like macaroni and cheese. I believe the first two letters of the
> soup were "kn". I also believe that both restaurants that served it were
> located in North Dakota. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am

looking
> for the name of the soup and/or a recipe. From the best I can gather in
> searching the Internet, it seems to be a German Russian recipe. I have
> found dumpling soups (mostly in chicken broth) and also some cheese and
> potato dumplings that can be added to the broth of your choice or served
> with gravy. I realize this soup is probably not suitable for a diabetic,
> but my daughter loved it and I'd like to make it. In the meantime, I

think
> I'll try the potato and cheese dumplings served in a broth with

non-starchy
> vegetables. That way I can eat more soup and less dumplings.
>
> Thanks!

Julie, was it "knoepfla", or "kaese knoepfla" (translates roughly to "cheese
buttons")? I don't have a recipe, but if this is indeed what you're looking
for, I'll help you search. I love playing detective! :-)

Karen
Type 2

Karen

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> In making our cross country move, we ran across a delicious soup in two
> different restaurants. It was a cheese soup with dumplings in it. It
> tasted like macaroni and cheese. I believe the first two letters of the
> soup were "kn". I also believe that both restaurants that served it were
> located in North Dakota. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am

looking
> for the name of the soup and/or a recipe. From the best I can gather in
> searching the Internet, it seems to be a German Russian recipe. I have
> found dumpling soups (mostly in chicken broth) and also some cheese and
> potato dumplings that can be added to the broth of your choice or served
> with gravy. I realize this soup is probably not suitable for a diabetic,
> but my daughter loved it and I'd like to make it. In the meantime, I

think
> I'll try the potato and cheese dumplings served in a broth with

non-starchy
> vegetables. That way I can eat more soup and less dumplings.
>
> Thanks!

Julie, was it "knoepfla", or "kaese knoepfla" (translates roughly to "cheese
buttons")? I don't have a recipe, but if this is indeed what you're looking
for, I'll help you search. I love playing detective! :-)

Karen
Type 2

Julie Bove

"Karen" > wrote in message

> Julie, was it "knoepfla", or "kaese knoepfla" (translates roughly to

"cheese
> buttons")? I don't have a recipe, but if this is indeed what you're

looking
> for, I'll help you search. I love playing detective! :-)

That does sound like the right name. I did find that listed under a variety
of spellings, but none of the recipes had cheese in them. I thought
perhaps this was a common recipe in North Dakota because the waitress acted
surprised when I asked what it was. And also because it was being served in
entirely two different restaurants. I will add the word "kaese" to my
search.

Thanks!

Karen

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Karen" > wrote in message
>
> > Julie, was it "knoepfla", or "kaese knoepfla" (translates roughly to

> "cheese
> > buttons")? I don't have a recipe, but if this is indeed what you're

> looking
> > for, I'll help you search. I love playing detective! :-)

> That does sound like the right name. I did find that listed under a

variety
> of spellings, but none of the recipes had cheese in them. I thought
> perhaps this was a common recipe in North Dakota because the waitress

acted
> surprised when I asked what it was. And also because it was being served

in
> entirely two different restaurants. I will add the word "kaese" to my
> search.
>
> Thanks!

Julie, so far I haven't had any luck either with the search, even using
various spellings. I've just posted requests on two cooking message boards;
I hope some kind Dakotans may be able to help you out. If I get any
that someone will post the recipe you want.

Karen

Julie Bove

"Karen" > wrote in message

> Julie, so far I haven't had any luck either with the search, even using
> various spellings. I've just posted requests on two cooking message

boards;
> I hope some kind Dakotans may be able to help you out. If I get any

crossed
> that someone will post the recipe you want.

Thanks! I must have not found the right cooking boards. The only ones I
saw had no action at all or were overrun by spam. I did see a couple of
articles that mention this soup and even give the name of some restaurants
that serve it. I believe one mentioned is the one we ate at. The Kartoffel
Boller is a very good substitute though. Next time I'll just put it
straight in the broth and not poach it separately.

Colleen

Julie,

North Dakota has a large Scandanavian population. You might want to google
for Swedish/Norwegian/Danis recipes. I'm not familiar with the soup but I
know the Scandanavians love their cheese carbs.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> In making our cross country move, we ran across a delicious soup in two
> different restaurants. It was a cheese soup with dumplings in it. It
> tasted like macaroni and cheese. I believe the first two letters of the
> soup were "kn". I also believe that both restaurants that served it were
> located in North Dakota. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am

looking
> for the name of the soup and/or a recipe. From the best I can gather in
> searching the Internet, it seems to be a German Russian recipe. I have
> found dumpling soups (mostly in chicken broth) and also some cheese and
> potato dumplings that can be added to the broth of your choice or served
> with gravy. I realize this soup is probably not suitable for a diabetic,
> but my daughter loved it and I'd like to make it. In the meantime, I

think
> I'll try the potato and cheese dumplings served in a broth with

non-starchy
> vegetables. That way I can eat more soup and less dumplings.
>
> Thanks!

Julie Bove

"Colleen" > wrote in message
> Julie,
>
> North Dakota has a large Scandanavian population. You might want to

google
> for Swedish/Norwegian/Danis recipes. I'm not familiar with the soup but I
> know the Scandanavians love their cheese carbs.

I did try that. But didn't come up with a recipe. I do have a Scandinavian
cookbook and nothing was in there either. And the area where I currently
live is heavily populated by those people, but it isn't a common soup here.

Karen

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
<snip>
> Thanks! I must have not found the right cooking boards. The only ones I
> saw had no action at all or were overrun by spam. I did see a couple of
> articles that mention this soup and even give the name of some restaurants
> that serve it. I believe one mentioned is the one we ate at. The

Kartoffel
> Boller is a very good substitute though. Next time I'll just put it
> straight in the broth and not poach it separately.

Julie, I checked a couple of my favorite message boards (not newsgroups).
Unfortunately, no one has come up with anything more than we already know
from Googling. One member did suggest finding a good German cheese soup
recipe and adding the knoepfla to it...something you may want to experiment
with, if you're feeling adventurous (and your daughter is a willing guinea
pig! LOL). I'll keep on searching. Also, I have a pretty extensive
cookbook collection, so I'll start delving there.

Karen

Alan

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:04:17 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>In making our cross country move, we ran across a delicious soup in two
>different restaurants. It was a cheese soup with dumplings in it. It
>tasted like macaroni and cheese. I believe the first two letters of the
>soup were "kn". I also believe that both restaurants that served it were
>located in North Dakota. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am looking
>for the name of the soup and/or a recipe. From the best I can gather in
>searching the Internet, it seems to be a German Russian recipe. I have
>found dumpling soups (mostly in chicken broth) and also some cheese and
>potato dumplings that can be added to the broth of your choice or served
>with gravy. I realize this soup is probably not suitable for a diabetic,
>but my daughter loved it and I'd like to make it. In the meantime, I think
>I'll try the potato and cheese dumplings served in a broth with non-starchy
>vegetables. That way I can eat more soup and less dumplings.
>
>Thanks!

Hi Julie

I found a few different sites using Jeeves
http://web.ask.com/webadvanced. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the
actual recipe, just booksales, but these may lead you to links:

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/new...0/08plains.htm
Agriculture Communication, North Dakota State University
"Right now, you see, I have gotten myself into a fine kettle of
knoephla/knoepfle, as now I have all these leads to check out. An
expatriate Dakotan (Mike a.k.a. "Fat Boy" Weiss) says to check out the
cafe in LangdonBI think that would be Gracie's--for knoephla soup, but
Sharon Wamsley says no, the best is at the Pasthymes in Steele, served
Mondays and Thursdays. And Ed Keller from Dickinson, who sides with Joe
Kisch on the spelling controversy, nominates the Rolling Hills Café on
I-94 west of Mandan for best of breed in the knoepfle category."
http://www.kitchenproject.com/kpboard/wwwboard.html
GERMAN RECIPES AND TIPS DISCUSSION BOARD
http://www.prairiepublic.org/feature...y/knoepfla.htm
Knoepfla Supp
Picture and comment
http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/recipes/index.cgi
Couldn't find the recipe, but lots of books for sale

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.
Alan

wrote:

>In making our cross country move, we ran across a delicious soup in two
>different restaurants. It was a cheese soup with dumplings in it. It
>tasted like macaroni and cheese. I believe the first two letters of the
>soup were "kn". I also believe that both restaurants that served it were
>located in North Dakota. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am looking
>for the name of the soup and/or a recipe. From the best I can gather in
>searching the Internet, it seems to be a German Russian recipe. I have
>found dumpling soups (mostly in chicken broth) and also some cheese and
>potato dumplings that can be added to the broth of your choice or served
>with gravy. I realize this soup is probably not suitable for a diabetic,
>but my daughter loved it and I'd like to make it. In the meantime, I think
>I'll try the potato and cheese dumplings served in a broth with non-starchy
>vegetables. That way I can eat more soup and less dumplings.
>
>Thanks!

Hi Julie

I found a few different sites using Jeeves
http://web.ask.com/webadvanced. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the
actual recipe, just booksales, but these may lead you to links:

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/new...0/08plains.htm
Agriculture Communication, North Dakota State University
"Right now, you see, I have gotten myself into a fine kettle of
knoephla/knoepfle, as now I have all these leads to check out. An
expatriate Dakotan (Mike a.k.a. "Fat Boy" Weiss) says to check out the
cafe in LangdonBI think that would be Gracie's--for knoephla soup, but
Sharon Wamsley says no, the best is at the Pasthymes in Steele, served
Mondays and Thursdays. And Ed Keller from Dickinson, who sides with Joe
Kisch on the spelling controversy, nominates the Rolling Hills Café on
I-94 west of Mandan for best of breed in the knoepfle category."
http://www.kitchenproject.com/kpboard/wwwboard.html
GERMAN RECIPES AND TIPS DISCUSSION BOARD
http://www.prairiepublic.org/feature...y/knoepfla.htm
Knoepfla Supp
Picture and comment
http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/recipes/index.cgi
Couldn't find the recipe, but lots of books for sale

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.
Julie Bove

"Karen" > wrote in message

> Julie, I checked a couple of my favorite message boards (not newsgroups).
> Unfortunately, no one has come up with anything more than we already know
> from Googling. One member did suggest finding a good German cheese soup
> recipe and adding the knoepfla to it...something you may want to

experiment
> with, if you're feeling adventurous (and your daughter is a willing guinea
> pig! LOL). I'll keep on searching. Also, I have a pretty extensive
> cookbook collection, so I'll start delving there.

Thanks! I collect cookbooks so I was surprised to run across a soup I'd
never heard of before. Of course it may well be known by some other name.
I know in one particular area of PA, the people called foods by strange
names, pronouncing pizza as "pits" and ricotta cheese as "ragood cheese".

Julie Bove

"Alan" > wrote in message

> Hi Julie
>
> I found a few different sites using Jeeves
> http://web.ask.com/webadvanced. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the
> actual recipe, just booksales, but these may lead you to links:

> http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/new...0/08plains.htm
> Agriculture Communication, North Dakota State University
> "Right now, you see, I have gotten myself into a fine kettle of
> knoephla/knoepfle, as now I have all these leads to check out. An
> expatriate Dakotan (Mike a.k.a. "Fat Boy" Weiss) says to check out the
> cafe in LangdonBI think that would be Gracie's--for knoephla soup, but
> Sharon Wamsley says no, the best is at the Pasthymes in Steele, served
> Mondays and Thursdays. And Ed Keller from Dickinson, who sides with Joe
> Kisch on the spelling controversy, nominates the Rolling Hills Café on
> I-94 west of Mandan for best of breed in the knoepfle category."
> http://www.kitchenproject.com/kpboard/wwwboard.html
> GERMAN RECIPES AND TIPS DISCUSSION BOARD
> http://www.prairiepublic.org/feature...y/knoepfla.htm
> Knoepfla Supp
> Picture and comment
> http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/recipes/index.cgi
> Couldn't find the recipe, but lots of books for sale

Thanks! I found that stuff too, and I think one of the restaurants I dined
in was listed there. For now I'll just use the recipe for the Kartoffel
Boller but put it directly in the broth.

The Spencers

Julie,

Perhaps the dumplings were "KNEIDELACH"? These have a Jewish origin, are
made from matzah flour and are usually found in chicken soup.

Regards,

Les.

"
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
[...]

Julie Bove

"The Spencers" > wrote in message
> Julie,
>
> Perhaps the dumplings were "KNEIDELACH"? These have a Jewish origin, are
> made from matzah flour and are usually found in chicken soup.

I don't think it was that. This had cheese in it.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"The Spencers" > wrote in message
> Julie,
>
> Perhaps the dumplings were "KNEIDELACH"? These have a Jewish origin, are
> made from matzah flour and are usually found in chicken soup.

I don't think it was that. This had cheese in it.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"The Spencers" > wrote in message
> Julie,
>
> Perhaps the dumplings were "KNEIDELACH"? These have a Jewish origin, are
> made from matzah flour and are usually found in chicken soup.

I don't think it was that. This had cheese in it.

--
See my webpage:

Alan_B

"The Spencers" > wrote in
:

> Julie,
>
> Perhaps the dumplings were "KNEIDELACH"? These have a Jewish origin,
> are made from matzah flour and are usually found in chicken soup.
>
> Regards,
>
> Les.
>
> "
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> In making our cross country move, we ran across a delicious soup in
> two different restaurants. It was a cheese soup with dumplings in it.
> It tasted like macaroni and cheese. I believe the first two letters
> of the soup were "kn". I also believe that both restaurants that
> served it were located in North Dakota. Does this sound familiar to
> anyone? I am looking for the name of the soup and/or a recipe. From
> the best I can gather in searching the Internet, it seems to be a
> German Russian recipe. I have found dumpling soups (mostly in chicken
> broth) and also some cheese and potato dumplings that can be added to
> the broth of your choice or served with gravy. I realize this soup is
> probably not suitable for a diabetic, but my daughter loved it and I'd
> like to make it. In the meantime, I think I'll try the potato and
> cheese dumplings served in a broth with non-starchy vegetables. That
> way I can eat more soup and less dumplings.
>
> Thanks!

from a german foodie

Okay, here is the transcript of IRC ;-)
Quark: maybe use a mix of yoghurt and mascarpone
<Alan_B> or sour cream and cottage cheese

>> basically you mix Quark, egg, a bit of salt and chopped chives to

make the filling

>> cottage cheese is rather lumpy
>> then you make a rather firm spaetzle dough

<Alan_B> Filling? for a soup?

>> roll it out, cut it into squares, put some of the filling onto one

triangle of
the square and put the other triangle on top and then press both parts
together to
enclose the filling
<Alan_B> ok

>> meanwhile you heat some stock with some potatoes cut into small

pieces for about
10 mins

>> then add the triangles and boil them until they rise to the top of

the water
<Alan_B> could you please send this in a e-mail?

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom

Alan_B

"The Spencers" > wrote in
:

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
Alan_B

"The Spencers" > wrote in
:

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
Julie Bove

"Alan_B" > wrote in message
> from a german foodie
>

> Okay, here is the transcript of IRC ;-)
> Quark: maybe use a mix of yoghurt and mascarpone
> <Alan_B> or sour cream and cottage cheese
>
> >> basically you mix Quark, egg, a bit of salt and chopped chives to

> make the filling

Quark? I don't know what that is. And this stuff most definitely didn't
contain any sour cream, soft cheese, chives or filling. It did have what
appeared to be cheddar cheese mixed into the soup.

> >> cottage cheese is rather lumpy
> >> then you make a rather firm spaetzle dough

> <Alan_B> Filling? for a soup?

I've had Tortellini soup. That's pasta with a filling. I once made some
kind of Chinese soup with filled dumplings that looked like little boats.

> >> roll it out, cut it into squares, put some of the filling onto one

> triangle of
> the square and put the other triangle on top and then press both parts
> together to
> enclose the filling
> <Alan_B> ok
>
> >> meanwhile you heat some stock with some potatoes cut into small

> pieces for about
> 10 mins
>
> >> then add the triangles and boil them until they rise to the top of

> the water
> <Alan_B> could you please send this in a e-mail?
>
> >> I try to ;-)

Thanks, but I don't think this was the soup that we had. This one had
blobby looking dumplings and they had no filling at all.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Alan_B" > wrote in message
> from a german foodie
>

> Okay, here is the transcript of IRC ;-)
> Quark: maybe use a mix of yoghurt and mascarpone
> <Alan_B> or sour cream and cottage cheese
>
> >> basically you mix Quark, egg, a bit of salt and chopped chives to

> make the filling

Quark? I don't know what that is. And this stuff most definitely didn't
contain any sour cream, soft cheese, chives or filling. It did have what
appeared to be cheddar cheese mixed into the soup.

> >> cottage cheese is rather lumpy
> >> then you make a rather firm spaetzle dough

> <Alan_B> Filling? for a soup?

I've had Tortellini soup. That's pasta with a filling. I once made some
kind of Chinese soup with filled dumplings that looked like little boats.

> >> roll it out, cut it into squares, put some of the filling onto one

> triangle of
> the square and put the other triangle on top and then press both parts
> together to
> enclose the filling
> <Alan_B> ok
>
> >> meanwhile you heat some stock with some potatoes cut into small

> pieces for about
> 10 mins
>
> >> then add the triangles and boil them until they rise to the top of

> the water
> <Alan_B> could you please send this in a e-mail?
>
> >> I try to ;-)

Thanks, but I don't think this was the soup that we had. This one had
blobby looking dumplings and they had no filling at all.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Alan_B" > wrote in message
> from a german foodie
>

> Okay, here is the transcript of IRC ;-)
> Quark: maybe use a mix of yoghurt and mascarpone
> <Alan_B> or sour cream and cottage cheese
>
> >> basically you mix Quark, egg, a bit of salt and chopped chives to

> make the filling

Quark? I don't know what that is. And this stuff most definitely didn't
contain any sour cream, soft cheese, chives or filling. It did have what
appeared to be cheddar cheese mixed into the soup.

> >> cottage cheese is rather lumpy
> >> then you make a rather firm spaetzle dough

> <Alan_B> Filling? for a soup?

I've had Tortellini soup. That's pasta with a filling. I once made some
kind of Chinese soup with filled dumplings that looked like little boats.

> >> roll it out, cut it into squares, put some of the filling onto one

> triangle of
> the square and put the other triangle on top and then press both parts
> together to
> enclose the filling
> <Alan_B> ok
>
> >> meanwhile you heat some stock with some potatoes cut into small

> pieces for about
> 10 mins
>
> >> then add the triangles and boil them until they rise to the top of

> the water
> <Alan_B> could you please send this in a e-mail?
>
> >> I try to ;-)

Thanks, but I don't think this was the soup that we had. This one had
blobby looking dumplings and they had no filling at all.

--
See my webpage:

Alan_B

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> "Alan_B" > wrote in message
>> from a german foodie
>>

>> Okay, here is the transcript of IRC ;-)
>> Quark: maybe use a mix of yoghurt and mascarpone
>> <Alan_B> or sour cream and cottage cheese

>> make the filling

> Quark? I don't know what that is. And this stuff most definitely didn't
> contain any sour cream, soft cheese, chives or filling. It did have what
> appeared to be cheddar cheese mixed into the soup.

>> <Alan_B> Filling? for a soup?

> I've had Tortellini soup. That's pasta with a filling. I once made some
> kind of Chinese soup with filled dumplings that looked like little boats.

>> triangle of
>> the square and put the other triangle on top and then press both parts
>> together to
>> enclose the filling
>> <Alan_B> ok

>> pieces for about
>> 10 mins

>> the water
>> <Alan_B> could you please send this in a e-mail?

> Thanks, but I don't think this was the soup that we had. This one had
> blobby looking dumplings and they had no filling at all.

Quark is a cheese, a soft cheese, a fresh cheese similar to marscapone <??>
in texture but not as sweet in taste, more of a sour taste. Cheesecakes in
Germany are made from drained quark instead of creamcheese.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
D0RAJARR

>Subject: Looking for soup recipe
>From: "Julie Bove"
>Date: 9/18/2004 11:47 PM Eastern Standard Time
>

>"Alan_B" > wrote in message
. ..
>> from a german foodie
>>

>> Okay, here is the transcript of IRC ;-)
>> Quark: maybe use a mix of yoghurt and mascarpone
>> <Alan_B> or sour cream and cottage cheese

>> make the filling

>Quark? I don't know what that is. And this stuff most definitely didn't
>contain any sour cream, soft cheese, chives or filling. It did have what
>appeared to be cheddar cheese mixed into the soup.

>> <Alan_B> Filling? for a soup?

>I've had Tortellini soup. That's pasta with a filling. I once made some
>kind of Chinese soup with filled dumplings that looked like little boats.

>> triangle of
>> the square and put the other triangle on top and then press both parts
>> together to
>> enclose the filling
>> <Alan_B> ok

>> pieces for about
>> 10 mins

>> the water
>> <Alan_B> could you please send this in a e-mail?

>Thanks, but I don't think this was the soup that we had. This one had
>blobby looking dumplings and they had no filling at all.

Julie:

Did you see the link I gave for the cheese buttons? I'm sure if you combined
the recipe someone had given you for the soup with the actual cheese buttons,
you'd come out with a pretty reasonable facsimile of what you had at the diner.

--
DJ
Julie Bove

"Alan_B" > wrote in message

> Quark is a cheese, a soft cheese, a fresh cheese similar to marscapone

<??>
> in texture but not as sweet in taste, more of a sour taste. Cheesecakes in
> Germany are made from drained quark instead of creamcheese.

Oh, okay. Here, marscapone is not all that common, but it can be found in
some places. Cream cheese is common here for cheesecake, but there is an
Italian version that uses Ricotta. I had that version once and found it to
be totally flavorless.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Alan_B" > wrote in message

> Quark is a cheese, a soft cheese, a fresh cheese similar to marscapone

<??>
> in texture but not as sweet in taste, more of a sour taste. Cheesecakes in
> Germany are made from drained quark instead of creamcheese.

Oh, okay. Here, marscapone is not all that common, but it can be found in
some places. Cream cheese is common here for cheesecake, but there is an
Italian version that uses Ricotta. I had that version once and found it to
be totally flavorless.

--
See my webpage:

Mack©®

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 07:45:33 +0000 (UTC), "The Spencers"
> wrote:

>Julie,
>
>Perhaps the dumplings were "KNEIDELACH"? These have a Jewish origin, are
>made from matzah flour and are usually found in chicken soup.
>
>Regards,
>
>Les.

you are not confusing matzo ball soup with what someone would consider
a dumpling are you?

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
terrorism.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."

....Theodore Roosevelt

Have you heard of the NO-CARB Diet for 2004?

NO C-heney
NO A-shcroft
NO R-umsfeld
NO B-ush
And Absolutely NO Rice!

>"
>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>In making our cross country move, we ran across a delicious soup in two
>different restaurants. It was a cheese soup with dumplings in it. It
>tasted like macaroni and cheese. I believe the first two letters of the
>soup were "kn". I also believe that both restaurants that served it were
>located in North Dakota. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am looking
>for the name of the soup and/or a recipe. From the best I can gather in
>searching the Internet, it seems to be a German Russian recipe. I have
>found dumpling soups (mostly in chicken broth) and also some cheese and
>potato dumplings that can be added to the broth of your choice or served
>with gravy. I realize this soup is probably not suitable for a diabetic,
>but my daughter loved it and I'd like to make it. In the meantime, I think
>I'll try the potato and cheese dumplings served in a broth with non-starchy
>vegetables. That way I can eat more soup and less dumplings.
>
>Thanks!

Julie Bove

"Mack©®" > wrote in message
> you are not confusing matzo ball soup with what someone would consider
> a dumpling are you?

Not sure if that was meant for Les or me. I've never eaten a matzo ball,
but what was in this soup was definitely dumplings. They had that sort of
bumpy, uneven surface that biscuity dumplings do.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Mack©®" > wrote in message
> you are not confusing matzo ball soup with what someone would consider
> a dumpling are you?

Not sure if that was meant for Les or me. I've never eaten a matzo ball,
but what was in this soup was definitely dumplings. They had that sort of
bumpy, uneven surface that biscuity dumplings do.

--
See my webpage:

Mack©®

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:16:54 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"Mack©®" > wrote in message
.. .
>> you are not confusing matzo ball soup with what someone would consider
>> a dumpling are you?

>Not sure if that was meant for Les or me. I've never eaten a matzo ball,
>but what was in this soup was definitely dumplings. They had that sort of
>bumpy, uneven surface that biscuity dumplings do.

it was meant for Les. Matzo balls are made from Matzo meal and egg.
depending on who makes them other ingredients will be added. You form
the mix into balls and drop into chicken broth to cook all the way
through. I actually like large matzo balls so that requires a lengthy
cooking time. I use a large ice scream scoop to measure the mix. I
think it tastes best when you cook the matzo ball soup for at least 2
days. simmer 4 to 5 hours one day then simmer the same the next day.
The matzo balls are firm nothing like a dumpling. Adding veggies and
some chicken meet is also an option. Because of the carb content of
Matzo Balls I don't eat more than 2 in a single bowl of soup.

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
terrorism.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."

....Theodore Roosevelt

Have you heard of the NO-CARB Diet for 2004?

NO C-heney
NO A-shcroft
NO R-umsfeld
NO B-ush
And Absolutely NO Rice!

Mack©®

wrote:

>"Mack©®" > wrote in message
.. .
>> you are not confusing matzo ball soup with what someone would consider
>> a dumpling are you?

>Not sure if that was meant for Les or me. I've never eaten a matzo ball,
>but what was in this soup was definitely dumplings. They had that sort of
>bumpy, uneven surface that biscuity dumplings do.

it was meant for Les. Matzo balls are made from Matzo meal and egg.
depending on who makes them other ingredients will be added. You form
the mix into balls and drop into chicken broth to cook all the way
through. I actually like large matzo balls so that requires a lengthy
cooking time. I use a large ice scream scoop to measure the mix. I
think it tastes best when you cook the matzo ball soup for at least 2
days. simmer 4 to 5 hours one day then simmer the same the next day.
The matzo balls are firm nothing like a dumpling. Adding veggies and
some chicken meet is also an option. Because of the carb content of
Matzo Balls I don't eat more than 2 in a single bowl of soup.

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
terrorism.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."

....Theodore Roosevelt

Have you heard of the NO-CARB Diet for 2004?

NO C-heney
NO A-shcroft
NO R-umsfeld
NO B-ush
And Absolutely NO Rice!

BJPruett

If any of the restaurants have web sites, why not write and ask them the
official name of the recipe. You might even ask for the recipe, one of
them might give it to you!
Barbara