Jennifer

Default REC: CHICKEN WITH OLIVES AND FETA CHEESE

CHICKEN WITH OLIVES AND FETA CHEESE

2 pounds chicken thighs with skin and bones
1 tablespoon olive oil

1 cup chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
3/4 cup Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives, pitted, sliced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried

2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over
medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until brown, about 4 minutes per
side. Transfer chicken to plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons
drippings from skillet.

Add onion to drippings in skillet. Sauté over medium heat 3 minutes.
Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with
juices, olives, wine and oregano. Return chicken and any accumulated
juices to sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and
simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 25 minutes.

Transfer chicken and sauce to platter. Sprinkle with feta cheese and
serve.

Makes 6 servings.

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Jennifer > wrote:

> CHICKEN WITH OLIVES AND FETA CHEESE
> 2 pounds chicken thighs with skin and bones
> 1 tablespoon olive oil
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
> 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
> 3/4 cup Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives, pitted, sliced
> 1/2 cup dry red wine
> 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
>
> 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
>
> Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over
> medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until brown, about 4 minutes per
> side. Transfer chicken to plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons
> drippings from skillet.
>
> Add onion to drippings in skillet. Sauté over medium heat 3 minutes.
> Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with
> juices, olives, wine and oregano. Return chicken and any accumulated
> juices to sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and
> simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 25 minutes.
>
> Transfer chicken and sauce to platter. Sprinkle with feta cheese and
> serve.
> Makes 6 servings.

I make something very similar to this except I use rosemary instead of
oregano, toss in a mess of capers, and don't sprinkle with feta.

Priscilla
Priscilla Ballou