MoPaMaN

Default Hello All

I'm not a Usenet newbie as I have survived the famous noosegroop wars of the
early 80's and still have a copy of Pine 1.0. I work for one of the major
war machines, Northrop Grumman. About 2 months ago I was having some minor
chest pains and went to get it checked out. Seems I've got high cholesterol
200 plus, almost no good cholesterol, triglycerides laughed at me too; high
blood pressure, and a 7.5 on the A1C blood work.

I had been on the Adkins diet off and on for 3 years and when not on that I
saws trying the soy thing. I just finished my 4 weeks of diabetes newbie
classes and have my averages in the good range 90-120 most of the time. Now
that I've got it lowered some, I seem to be getting too low every so often
and test at 75 to 80. At 80, I feel dizzy so I can tell it's low without
testing. I've lost from 250 to 225 pounds in 6 weeks. So I'm doing something
right. My Dr. wants me below 200 pounds so, I've got a ways to go.

I've seen the eye doctor already and got new glasses and he says things look
good.

My feet are better than most men's. I do have some tingling feeling,
especially late in the day. I was gonna try some of Jobst socks and see if
that help some????

As far as medication goes, I take a bunch, but nothing for the diabetes yet.
We are trying the diet and exercise program first. I do have troubles with
cardio exercise as I've had a hunting accident and have had my left hip
replaced due to avascular necrosis(sp). I do have a Crossbow machine that
I've been using about 6 months.

I'm usually a pretty big Texas redneck, a U.S. Army veteran (1970-1978), an
avid hunter (bow/rifle/spears/and chuck rocks on occasion). A lousy speller
and donut care, I have retrained my spellchecker so my way is right
regardless of what eggheads might think.

That's about it......

--
Scott Hendryx---Remove Clothes To Reply!

Jennifer

Welcome...

You may not be a Usenet newbie... but you picked a food and recipe
newsgroup to post in. You'll find a lot more support and technical info
at alt.support.diabetes and misc.health.diabetes.

The traffic here in food is light and usually recipe related.

The traffic in asd and mhd is brisk, and put on your flame suit cause it
gets crazy sometimes... but the people are great and the info is invaluable.

But since you've started here, I'll post my advice to all diabetic newbies:

Sounds like you're planning a move to take control of your diabetes... good
for you.

There is so much to absorb... you don't have to rush into anything. Begin
by using your best weapon in this war, your meter. You won't keel over
today, you have time to experiment, test, learn, test and figure out just
how your body and this disease are getting along. The most important
thing you can do to learn about yourself and diabetes is test test test.

The single biggest question a diabetic has to answer is:

What do I eat?

Unfortunately, the answer is pretty confusing.

What confounds us all is the fact that different diabetics can get great
results on wildly different food plans. Some of us here achieve
great blood glucose control eating a high complex carbohydrate diet.
Others find that anything over 75 - 100g of carbs a day is too
much. Still others are somewhere in between.

At the beginning all of us felt frustrated. We wanted to be handed
THE way to eat, to ensure our continued health. But we all
learned that there is no one way. Each of us had to find our own path,
using the experience of those that went before, but still having
to discover for ourselves how OUR bodies and this disease were coexisting.

Ask questions, but remember each of us discovered on our own what works best
for us. You can use our experiences as jumping off points, but eventually
you'll work up a successful plan that is yours alone.

What you are looking to discover is how different foods affect you. As I'm
sure you've read, carbohydrates (sugars, wheat, rice... the things our
Grandmas called "starches") raise blood sugars the most rapidly. Protein
and fat do raise them, but not as high and much more slowly... so if you're
a T2, generally the insulin your body still makes may take care of the rise.

You might want to try some experiments.

First: Eat whatever you've been
currently eating... but write it all down.
Test yourself at the following times:

Upon waking (fasting)
1 hour after each meal
2 hours after each meal
At bedtime

That means 8 x each day. What you will discover by this is how long
after a meal your highest reading comes... and how fast you return to
"normal". Also, you may see that a meal that included bread, fruit or
other carbs gives you a higher reading.

Then for the next few days, try to curb your carbs. Eliminate breads,
cereals, rices, beans, any wheat products, potato, corn, fruit... get all
your carbs from veggies. Test at the same schedule above.

If you try this for a few days, you may find some pretty damn good
readings. It's worth a few days to discover.

Eventually you can slowly add back carbs until you see them affecting your
meter.

The thing about this disease... though we share much in common and we
need to
follow certain guidelines... in the end, each of our bodies dictate our
treatment and our success.

The closer we get to non-diabetic numbers, the greater chance we have of
avoiding horrible complications. The key here is AIM... I know that
everyone is at a different point in their disease... and it is progressive.
But, if we aim for the best numbers and do our best, we give ourselves the
best shot at heath we've got.
That's all we can do.

Here's my opinion on what numbers to aim for, they are non-diabetic numbers.

FBG under 110
One hour after meals under 140
Two hours after meals under 120

or for those in the mmol parts of the world:

Fasting Under 6
One hour after meals Under 8
Two hours after meals Under 6.5

Recent studies have indicated that the most important numbers are your
"after meal" numbers. They may be the most indicative of future
complications, especially heart problems.

Listen to your doctor, but you are the leader of your diabetic
care team. While his /her advice is learned, it is not absolute. You
will end up knowing much more about your body and how it's handling
diabetes than your doctor will. Your meter is your best weapon.

Just remember, we're not in a race or a competition with anyone but
ourselves... Play around with your food plan... TEST TEST TEST. Learn what
foods cause spikes, what foods cause cravings... Use your body as a science
experiment.

You'll read about a lot of different ways people use to control their
diabetes... Many are diametrically opposed. After awhile you'll learn that
there is no one size fits all around here. Take some time to experiment
and you'll soon discover the plan that works for you.

Best of luck!

Jennifer

MoPaMaN wrote:

> I'm not a Usenet newbie as I have survived the famous noosegroop wars of the
> early 80's and still have a copy of Pine 1.0. I work for one of the major
> war machines, Northrop Grumman. About 2 months ago I was having some minor
> chest pains and went to get it checked out. Seems I've got high cholesterol
> 200 plus, almost no good cholesterol, triglycerides laughed at me too; high
> blood pressure, and a 7.5 on the A1C blood work.
>
> I had been on the Adkins diet off and on for 3 years and when not on that I
> saws trying the soy thing. I just finished my 4 weeks of diabetes newbie
> classes and have my averages in the good range 90-120 most of the time. Now
> that I've got it lowered some, I seem to be getting too low every so often
> and test at 75 to 80. At 80, I feel dizzy so I can tell it's low without
> testing. I've lost from 250 to 225 pounds in 6 weeks. So I'm doing something
> right. My Dr. wants me below 200 pounds so, I've got a ways to go.
>
> I've seen the eye doctor already and got new glasses and he says things look
> good.
>
> My feet are better than most men's. I do have some tingling feeling,
> especially late in the day. I was gonna try some of Jobst socks and see if
> that help some????
>
> As far as medication goes, I take a bunch, but nothing for the diabetes yet.
> We are trying the diet and exercise program first. I do have troubles with
> cardio exercise as I've had a hunting accident and have had my left hip
> replaced due to avascular necrosis(sp). I do have a Crossbow machine that
> I've been using about 6 months.
>
> I'm usually a pretty big Texas redneck, a U.S. Army veteran (1970-1978), an
> avid hunter (bow/rifle/spears/and chuck rocks on occasion). A lousy speller
> and donut care, I have retrained my spellchecker so my way is right
> regardless of what eggheads might think.
>
> That's about it......

Jennifer

MoPaMaN wrote:

> I'm not a Usenet newbie as I have survived the famous noosegroop wars of the
> early 80's and still have a copy of Pine 1.0. I work for one of the major
> war machines, Northrop Grumman. About 2 months ago I was having some minor
> chest pains and went to get it checked out. Seems I've got high cholesterol
> 200 plus, almost no good cholesterol, triglycerides laughed at me too; high
> blood pressure, and a 7.5 on the A1C blood work.
>
> I had been on the Adkins diet off and on for 3 years and when not on that I
> saws trying the soy thing. I just finished my 4 weeks of diabetes newbie
> classes and have my averages in the good range 90-120 most of the time. Now
> that I've got it lowered some, I seem to be getting too low every so often
> and test at 75 to 80. At 80, I feel dizzy so I can tell it's low without
> testing. I've lost from 250 to 225 pounds in 6 weeks. So I'm doing something
> right. My Dr. wants me below 200 pounds so, I've got a ways to go.
>
> I've seen the eye doctor already and got new glasses and he says things look
> good.
>
> My feet are better than most men's. I do have some tingling feeling,
> especially late in the day. I was gonna try some of Jobst socks and see if
> that help some????
>
> As far as medication goes, I take a bunch, but nothing for the diabetes yet.
> We are trying the diet and exercise program first. I do have troubles with
> cardio exercise as I've had a hunting accident and have had my left hip
> replaced due to avascular necrosis(sp). I do have a Crossbow machine that
> I've been using about 6 months.
>
> I'm usually a pretty big Texas redneck, a U.S. Army veteran (1970-1978), an
> avid hunter (bow/rifle/spears/and chuck rocks on occasion). A lousy speller
> and donut care, I have retrained my spellchecker so my way is right
> regardless of what eggheads might think.
>
> That's about it......

Alan

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:38:24 GMT, "MoPaMaN"
> wrote:

>I'm not a Usenet newbie as I have survived the famous noosegroop wars of the
>early 80's and still have a copy of Pine 1.0. I work for one of the major
>war machines, Northrop Grumman. About 2 months ago I was having some minor
>chest pains and went to get it checked out. Seems I've got high cholesterol
>200 plus, almost no good cholesterol, triglycerides laughed at me too; high
>blood pressure, and a 7.5 on the A1C blood work.
>
>I had been on the Adkins diet off and on for 3 years and when not on that I
>saws trying the soy thing. I just finished my 4 weeks of diabetes newbie
>classes and have my averages in the good range 90-120 most of the time. Now
>that I've got it lowered some, I seem to be getting too low every so often
>and test at 75 to 80. At 80, I feel dizzy so I can tell it's low without
>testing. I've lost from 250 to 225 pounds in 6 weeks. So I'm doing something
>right. My Dr. wants me below 200 pounds so, I've got a ways to go.
>
>I've seen the eye doctor already and got new glasses and he says things look
>good.
>
>My feet are better than most men's. I do have some tingling feeling,
>especially late in the day. I was gonna try some of Jobst socks and see if
>that help some????
>
>As far as medication goes, I take a bunch, but nothing for the diabetes yet.
>We are trying the diet and exercise program first. I do have troubles with
>cardio exercise as I've had a hunting accident and have had my left hip
>replaced due to avascular necrosis(sp). I do have a Crossbow machine that
>I've been using about 6 months.
>
>I'm usually a pretty big Texas redneck, a U.S. Army veteran (1970-1978), an
>avid hunter (bow/rifle/spears/and chuck rocks on occasion). A lousy speller
>and donut care, I have retrained my spellchecker so my way is right
>regardless of what eggheads might think.
>
>That's about it......
>
>--
>Scott Hendryx---Remove Clothes To Reply!

Hi Scott

I see you got lucky, and Jennifer answered personally.

I won't add to that great advice. Come back and ask lots of questions
after you start testing, preferably on one of the other groups.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.
Alan

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:38:24 GMT, "MoPaMaN"
> wrote:

>I'm not a Usenet newbie as I have survived the famous noosegroop wars of the
>early 80's and still have a copy of Pine 1.0. I work for one of the major
>war machines, Northrop Grumman. About 2 months ago I was having some minor
>chest pains and went to get it checked out. Seems I've got high cholesterol
>200 plus, almost no good cholesterol, triglycerides laughed at me too; high
>blood pressure, and a 7.5 on the A1C blood work.
>
>I had been on the Adkins diet off and on for 3 years and when not on that I
>saws trying the soy thing. I just finished my 4 weeks of diabetes newbie
>classes and have my averages in the good range 90-120 most of the time. Now
>that I've got it lowered some, I seem to be getting too low every so often
>and test at 75 to 80. At 80, I feel dizzy so I can tell it's low without
>testing. I've lost from 250 to 225 pounds in 6 weeks. So I'm doing something
>right. My Dr. wants me below 200 pounds so, I've got a ways to go.
>
>I've seen the eye doctor already and got new glasses and he says things look
>good.
>
>My feet are better than most men's. I do have some tingling feeling,
>especially late in the day. I was gonna try some of Jobst socks and see if
>that help some????
>
>As far as medication goes, I take a bunch, but nothing for the diabetes yet.
>We are trying the diet and exercise program first. I do have troubles with
>cardio exercise as I've had a hunting accident and have had my left hip
>replaced due to avascular necrosis(sp). I do have a Crossbow machine that
>I've been using about 6 months.
>
>I'm usually a pretty big Texas redneck, a U.S. Army veteran (1970-1978), an
>avid hunter (bow/rifle/spears/and chuck rocks on occasion). A lousy speller
>and donut care, I have retrained my spellchecker so my way is right
>regardless of what eggheads might think.
>
>That's about it......
>
>--
>Scott Hendryx---Remove Clothes To Reply!

Hi Scott

I see you got lucky, and Jennifer answered personally.

I won't add to that great advice. Come back and ask lots of questions
after you start testing, preferably on one of the other groups.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.

Siobhan Perricone

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:38:24 GMT, "MoPaMaN"
> wrote:

>testing. I've lost from 250 to 225 pounds in 6 weeks. So I'm doing something

*giggle* The first time I read this I thought you'd lost a total of 250
pounds in six weeks. I was thinking "that just can't be right" so I reread
it a couple of times and figured it out. *grin*

Welcome to the group and good luck.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Siobhan Perricone

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:38:24 GMT, "MoPaMaN"
> wrote:

>testing. I've lost from 250 to 225 pounds in 6 weeks. So I'm doing something

*giggle* The first time I read this I thought you'd lost a total of 250
pounds in six weeks. I was thinking "that just can't be right" so I reread
it a couple of times and figured it out. *grin*

Welcome to the group and good luck.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
God wrote the rocks
-- Word of God by Kathy Mar
Siobhan Perricone

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:38:24 GMT, "MoPaMaN"
> wrote:

>testing. I've lost from 250 to 225 pounds in 6 weeks. So I'm doing something

*giggle* The first time I read this I thought you'd lost a total of 250
pounds in six weeks. I was thinking "that just can't be right" so I reread
it a couple of times and figured it out. *grin*

Welcome to the group and good luck.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
God wrote the rocks
-- Word of God by Kathy Mar
MoPaMaN

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
> Welcome...
>
> You may not be a Usenet newbie... but you picked a food and recipe
> newsgroup to post in.

Snip..

Thanks, I'm here for the food. My wife would burn a salad so I do all the
cooking. I'm pretty good they say, but that's in real mens food, pork and
pork by products are my expertise.

--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

MoPaMaN

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
> Welcome...
>
> You may not be a Usenet newbie... but you picked a food and recipe
> newsgroup to post in.

Snip..

Thanks, I'm here for the food. My wife would burn a salad so I do all the
cooking. I'm pretty good they say, but that's in real mens food, pork and
pork by products are my expertise.

--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

MoPaMaN

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
> Welcome...
>
> You may not be a Usenet newbie... but you picked a food and recipe
> newsgroup to post in.

Snip..

Thanks, I'm here for the food. My wife would burn a salad so I do all the
cooking. I'm pretty good they say, but that's in real mens food, pork and
pork by products are my expertise.

--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

Tiger Lily

"MoPaMaN" <scott.hendryx.> wrote in message .com...

> Thanks, I'm here for the food. My wife would burn a salad so I do all the
> cooking. I'm pretty good they say, but that's in real mens food, pork and
> pork by products are my expertise.
>

HEY>!!!!!!!!! i HAVE burnt the salad..... careful who you are talking about
!!!!!!!

:-)

kate

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

Tiger Lily

"MoPaMaN" <scott.hendryx.> wrote in message .com...

> Thanks, I'm here for the food. My wife would burn a salad so I do all the
> cooking. I'm pretty good they say, but that's in real mens food, pork and
> pork by products are my expertise.
>

HEY>!!!!!!!!! i HAVE burnt the salad..... careful who you are talking about
!!!!!!!

:-)

kate

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/

Jennifer

MoPaMaN wrote:

> Thanks, I'm here for the food. My wife would burn a salad so I do all the
> cooking. I'm pretty good they say, but that's in real mens food, pork and
> pork by products are my expertise.

And luckily for you pork is low in carbs!

This group gets highly sporadic traffic.

But in honor of our newest poster, I'll put up some recipes this weekend.

Jennifer

Jennifer

MoPaMaN wrote:

> Thanks, I'm here for the food. My wife would burn a salad so I do all the
> cooking. I'm pretty good they say, but that's in real mens food, pork and
> pork by products are my expertise.

And luckily for you pork is low in carbs!

This group gets highly sporadic traffic.

But in honor of our newest poster, I'll put up some recipes this weekend.

Jennifer

MoPaMaN

"Jennifer" > wrote in message

> MoPaMaN wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I'm here for the food. My wife would burn a salad so I do all

the
> > cooking. I'm pretty good they say, but that's in real mens food, pork

and
> > pork by products are my expertise.

> And luckily for you pork is low in carbs!
>
> This group gets highly sporadic traffic.
>
> But in honor of our newest poster, I'll put up some recipes this weekend.
>
> Jennifer

Cool, I have a few myself. Anyone like venison and other wild meats.

--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

None Given

"MoPaMaN" > wrote in message
> Cool, I have a few myself. Anyone like venison and other wild meats.

DH cooks Sandhill crane breasts in a pressure cooker, bakes duck in brown
gravy, fried or BBQ armadillo, almost anything is good baked in cream of
mushroom soup. I like venison wrapped with bacon and grilled.

MoPaMaN

"None Given" > wrote in message
> "MoPaMaN" > wrote in message
> > Cool, I have a few myself. Anyone like venison and other wild meats.

> DH cooks Sandhill crane breasts in a pressure cooker, bakes duck in brown
> gravy, fried or BBQ armadillo, almost anything is good baked in cream of
> mushroom soup. I like venison wrapped with bacon and grilled.

Sandhill crane isn't tough, it does real nice on the grill, like chicken.

--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!