Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thanksgiving

Just catching up and it sounds like everyone had a great day!

We went to our friends home, and I brought three dishes along. They made
the rest, and it was awesome. The lady in question has the most exquisite
table settings you can imagine. Fabulous crystal glassware, silverware,
and china that wouldn't be out of place to serve a monarch. It was just
lovely.

The only complaint is that they had turkey breast, which was sliced and
swimming in some sort of broth. It became quite dry and flavorless that
way. I prefer some dark meat, since it is moist. But there were so many
wonderful dishes, and all of them were good, and the company was wonderful,
and we always have a great time there. She had three incredible desserts.
I managed to only take a tiny sliver of pumpkin pie.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> Just catching up and it sounds like everyone had a great day!
>
> We went to our friends home, and I brought three dishes along. They
> made the rest, and it was awesome. The lady in question has the
> most exquisite table settings you can imagine. Fabulous crystal
> glassware, silverware, and china that wouldn't be out of place to
> serve a monarch. It was just lovely.
>
> The only complaint is that they had turkey breast, which was sliced
> and swimming in some sort of broth. It became quite dry and
> flavorless that way. I prefer some dark meat, since it is moist. But
> there were so many wonderful dishes, and all of them were good,
> and the company was wonderful, and we always have a great time there.
> She had three incredible desserts. I managed to only take a tiny
> sliver of pumpkin pie.

Sounds great. What were the sides?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> Just catching up and it sounds like everyone had a great day!
>>
>> We went to our friends home, and I brought three dishes along. They
>> made the rest, and it was awesome. The lady in question has the
>> most exquisite table settings you can imagine. Fabulous crystal
>> glassware, silverware, and china that wouldn't be out of place to
>> serve a monarch. It was just lovely.
>>
>> The only complaint is that they had turkey breast, which was sliced
>> and swimming in some sort of broth. It became quite dry and
>> flavorless that way. I prefer some dark meat, since it is moist. But
>> there were so many wonderful dishes, and all of them were good,
>> and the company was wonderful, and we always have a great time there.
>> She had three incredible desserts. I managed to only take a tiny
>> sliver of pumpkin pie.

> Sounds great. What were the sides?

OK let me see if I remember it all......
Well first of all there were lots of appetizers and of course, cocktails....
then there was the meal itself.

There was turkey breast and gravy
(A rather unique and tasty) stuffing made with lots of dried fruit.
Buttered peas
baked potatoes with sour cream and butter
creamed onions
sweet and sour red cabbage
mashed sweet potato casserole
cranberry orange relish
canned cranberry sauce (for the purists)

They had a nice selection of wines at the table too...

For dessert there was;
Pumpkin pie
Mince pie
Lemon Meringue pie

And of course, coffee and cordials.

The sweet potato casserole was topped with those little marshmallows melted
on the top. I tried to scoop just a tiny bit from under the marshmallows.
(I can't imagine ruining a perfectly good vegetable with that goo, but I
think the hostess' daughter likes it that way). Also I make my stuffing a
savory one, with lots of vegetables, seasonings and sausage meat, and this
was tasty, but it was essentially more like bread and fruit, without the
usual seasonings, so I took only a tiny bit to be polite, as I knew all that
fruit wouldn't be kind to my diabetes. I stuck with the white wine and
had no cordial, but I did take a very small sliver of pumpkin pie for
dessert, and a tiny spoonful of each of the others just to taste how they
were made.

The pies were absolutely wonderful. Very good quality from a top bakery.

The company was top notch.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Your stuffing sounds more like mine. I can't imagine whoever thought putting
marshmallows on a savoury dish would be a good thing, lol. Perhaps it was
the only way to get kids to eat veggies way back then \

How are creamed onions done?

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn wrote:
>>> Just catching up and it sounds like everyone had a great day!
>>>
>>> We went to our friends home, and I brought three dishes along. They
>>> made the rest, and it was awesome. The lady in question has
>>> the most exquisite table settings you can imagine. Fabulous crystal
>>> glassware, silverware, and china that wouldn't be out of place to
>>> serve a monarch. It was just lovely.
>>>
>>> The only complaint is that they had turkey breast, which was sliced
>>> and swimming in some sort of broth. It became quite dry and
>>> flavorless that way. I prefer some dark meat, since it is moist. But
>>> there were so many wonderful dishes, and all of them were good,
>>> and the company was wonderful, and we always have a great time
>>> there. She had three incredible desserts. I managed to only take a
>>> tiny sliver of pumpkin pie.

>> Sounds great. What were the sides?

> OK let me see if I remember it all......
> Well first of all there were lots of appetizers and of course,
> cocktails.... then there was the meal itself.
>
> There was turkey breast and gravy
> (A rather unique and tasty) stuffing made with lots of dried fruit.
> Buttered peas
> baked potatoes with sour cream and butter
> creamed onions
> sweet and sour red cabbage
> mashed sweet potato casserole
> cranberry orange relish
> canned cranberry sauce (for the purists)
>
> They had a nice selection of wines at the table too...
>
> For dessert there was;
> Pumpkin pie
> Mince pie
> Lemon Meringue pie
>
> And of course, coffee and cordials.
>
> The sweet potato casserole was topped with those little marshmallows
> melted on the top. I tried to scoop just a tiny bit from under the
> marshmallows. (I can't imagine ruining a perfectly good vegetable
> with that goo, but I think the hostess' daughter likes it that way). Also
> I make my stuffing a savory one, with lots of vegetables,
> seasonings and sausage meat, and this was tasty, but it was
> essentially more like bread and fruit, without the usual seasonings,
> so I took only a tiny bit to be polite, as I knew all that fruit
> wouldn't be kind to my diabetes. I stuck with the white wine and
> had no cordial, but I did take a very small sliver of pumpkin pie for
> dessert, and a tiny spoonful of each of the others just to taste how
> they were made.
> The pies were absolutely wonderful. Very good quality from a top
> bakery.
> The company was top notch.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Your stuffing sounds more like mine. I can't imagine whoever thought
> putting marshmallows on a savoury dish would be a good thing, lol. Perhaps
> it was the only way to get kids to eat veggies way back then \
>
> How are creamed onions done?

You buy the smallish white onions, (probably about 2 inches across or so for
the largest). You bring a big pot of water to a boil and drop the onions
in for a few minutes...... like about 5 minutes. Then you scoop them out
and into a big bowl of cold water. Then I sit at the table and patiently
peel them. You make sure when you peel them that you leave the top and
bottom end pretty much intact, but trim only the tiniest bit off. That
keeps them from coming apart when cooked. You can then reserve them for
another day, maybe overnight or so.

Day of preparation, you boil the onions in water gently till they are tender
then drain.

For the sauce, in a saucepan you melt a few tablespoons of butter and add
salt, pepper, nutmeg and possibly some parsley to the butter, then add plain
white flour to soak up all the butter. Add milk to that, and keep
stirring over heat till the sauce thickens. If you need to add more milk,
do so. Just enough to make a nice cream sauce. Add the cream sauce over
the onions.

BTW..... I find this doesn't bother my BG's much because you get very little
flour in each serving of onions. You don't need a lot because everyone
just usually takes one or two. My husband loves them and takes more than
anyone :-)

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Your stuffing sounds more like mine. I can't imagine whoever thought
>> putting marshmallows on a savoury dish would be a good thing, lol.
>> Perhaps it was the only way to get kids to eat veggies way back then
>> \ How are creamed onions done?

> You buy the smallish white onions, (probably about 2 inches across or
> so for the largest). You bring a big pot of water to a boil and
> drop the onions in for a few minutes...... like about 5 minutes. Then you
> scoop them out and into a big bowl of cold water. Then I
> sit at the table and patiently peel them. You make sure when you
> peel them that you leave the top and bottom end pretty much intact,
> but trim only the tiniest bit off. That keeps them from coming
> apart when cooked. You can then reserve them for another day,
> maybe overnight or so.
> Day of preparation, you boil the onions in water gently till they are
> tender then drain.
>
> For the sauce, in a saucepan you melt a few tablespoons of butter and
> add salt, pepper, nutmeg and possibly some parsley to the butter,
> then add plain white flour to soak up all the butter. Add milk to
> that, and keep stirring over heat till the sauce thickens. If you
> need to add more milk, do so. Just enough to make a nice cream
> sauce. Add the cream sauce over the onions.
>
> BTW..... I find this doesn't bother my BG's much because you get very
> little flour in each serving of onions. You don't need a lot
> because everyone just usually takes one or two. My husband loves
> them and takes more than anyone :-)

Ok, so your basic parsley sauce. The same as I would do for boiled corned
beef. Those onions would go nicely with that, share the same sauce, lol. I
have always done mashed potato with corned beef as well. I made potato pie
last night and it didn't raise my bg.

I boiled mince (ground beef) in water with onions til cooked and then
drained that fatty water off. I then added a bit more water, some powdered
gravy (meant to add a can of tomatoes and forgot) some frozen veggies
(broccoli, carrot and beans - an attempt to get the kids to eat more
veggies), a bit of Worcestershire and some bbq sauce and topped it with a
layer of mashed potato (frozen mash - it was really hot and humid yesterday
and I didn't want to be in the kitchen too long). My son whined about there
being no pastry base - as I usually do when making this. I was going to do a
chicken and veg dish for me but ended up just eating the "pie" because of
the heat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> Your stuffing sounds more like mine. I can't imagine whoever thought
>>> putting marshmallows on a savoury dish would be a good thing, lol.
>>> Perhaps it was the only way to get kids to eat veggies way back then
>>> \ How are creamed onions done?

>> You buy the smallish white onions, (probably about 2 inches across or
>> so for the largest). You bring a big pot of water to a boil and
>> drop the onions in for a few minutes...... like about 5 minutes. Then
>> you scoop them out and into a big bowl of cold water. Then I
>> sit at the table and patiently peel them. You make sure when you
>> peel them that you leave the top and bottom end pretty much intact,
>> but trim only the tiniest bit off. That keeps them from coming
>> apart when cooked. You can then reserve them for another day,
>> maybe overnight or so.
>> Day of preparation, you boil the onions in water gently till they are
>> tender then drain.
>>
>> For the sauce, in a saucepan you melt a few tablespoons of butter and
>> add salt, pepper, nutmeg and possibly some parsley to the butter,
>> then add plain white flour to soak up all the butter. Add milk to
>> that, and keep stirring over heat till the sauce thickens. If you
>> need to add more milk, do so. Just enough to make a nice cream
>> sauce. Add the cream sauce over the onions.
>>
>> BTW..... I find this doesn't bother my BG's much because you get very
>> little flour in each serving of onions. You don't need a lot
>> because everyone just usually takes one or two. My husband loves
>> them and takes more than anyone :-)

> Ok, so your basic parsley sauce. The same as I would do for boiled corned
> beef. Those onions would go nicely with that, share the same sauce, lol.
> I have always done mashed potato with corned beef as well. I made potato
> pie last night and it didn't raise my bg.
>
> I boiled mince (ground beef) in water with onions til cooked and then
> drained that fatty water off. I then added a bit more water, some powdered
> gravy (meant to add a can of tomatoes and forgot) some frozen veggies
> (broccoli, carrot and beans - an attempt to get the kids to eat more
> veggies), a bit of Worcestershire and some bbq sauce and topped it with a
> layer of mashed potato (frozen mash - it was really hot and humid
> yesterday and I didn't want to be in the kitchen too long). My son whined
> about there being no pastry base - as I usually do when making this. I was
> going to do a chicken and veg dish for me but ended up just eating the
> "pie" because of the heat.

Sounds a lot like shepherds pie!

When you drain off that fat and water, you also lose a lot of flavor.

I would try sauteeing the beef and onions first, draining the fat off then,
and THEN adding some water to get the delicious crusty bits off the bottom
of the pan, where all the flavor is.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default clementine cake recipe Thanksgiving

On Nov 28, 7:14*pm, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> Just catching up and it sounds like everyone had a great day!
>
> We went to our friends home, and I brought three dishes along. * They made
> the rest, and it was awesome. * The lady in question has the most exquisite
> table settings you can imagine. * *Fabulous crystal glassware, silverware,
> and china that wouldn't be out of place to serve a monarch. * *It was just
> lovely.
>
> The only complaint is that they had turkey breast, which was sliced and
> swimming in some sort of broth. * It became quite dry and flavorless that
> way. * I prefer some dark meat, since it is moist. * But there were so many
> wonderful dishes, and all of them were good, and the company was wonderful,
> and we always have a great time there. * She had three incredible desserts.
> I managed to only take a tiny sliver of pumpkin pie.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
> heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving, all the more so for being
spent with friends. We went to a sister's home and helped in the
kitchen--there were 25+ for a Thanksgiving+ celebration, so it took a
lot of hands to pull off. That is my favorite part anyway, being in
the kitchen with some of my loved ones, cooking for other loved
ones :-)

I brought along a clementine cake, which would have been a relatively
low carb dessert, as desserts go, except that I chickened out at the
last minute and used sugar rather than splenda as planned. I had a
tiny piece of that, and a huge piece of definitely high-carb birthday
cake too, oink oink :-)

Here is the clementine cake recipe, if anyone is interested. I used
Nigella Lawson's recipe and made a few changes--but chickened out on
subbing splenda.

Ingredients:
5-6 unpeeled clementines (about 1 pound)
6 eggs
sweetner equivalent to 2/3 cup of sugar
2 1/3 cups almond flour
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cooking Directions:
Wash the clementines, put them in a pot with water to cover, and
simmer at a low boil for about 2-3 hours

When the clementines are soft and the house smells of oranges, drain
them, allow them to cool and remove the seeds (they will pretty much
fall apart, so do this over a plate). Put the whole fruits in a food
processor and whirl briefly (or you could chop them finely by hand, as
they are very soft). There will be a lot of juice, and I set that
aside and did not add to the cake.

Beat the eggs in a large bowl, add sweetner, almond flour, and baking
powder, and finally the chopped clementines.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and line an 8-inch spring
form pan.

Pour intp an 8-inch spring form pan that is well buttered and also
lined--this cake is really sticky. Bake for about 1 hour, until a
toothpick in the middle comes out clean. After the firt 30-40
minutes, you might need to cover the top with aluminum foil to keep it
from browning too much.

Remove from the oven and cool in the pan before trying to remove.
Based on Nigella's recommendation, I made my two days early and kept
in the fridge, well wrapped. It makes a very moist cake. I served
mine dusted with bitter chocolate and shaved peel, and next time I
might try a little creme fraiche instead. It is great served in small
portions with strong coffee.

I would not cook this again though unless I felt confident in a no
carb sweetner that would work for baking. What about using one of the
flavored da Vinci syrups? Or maybe a combination of erythritol and
splenda. I also like acesulfame-K, if I can find it, but can you bake
with it? Would not using sugar make the cake rise less?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

as i was reading this and drooling i was thinking the splenda with fiber
might be a good choice so the volume is there, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Nov 28, 7:14 pm, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> [...]

toothpick in the middle comes out clean. After the firt 30-40
minutes, you might need to cover the top with aluminum foil to keep it
from browning too much.

Remove from the oven and cool in the pan before trying to remove.
Based on Nigella's recommendation, I made my two days early and kept
in the fridge, well wrapped. It makes a very moist cake. I served
mine dusted with bitter chocolate and shaved peel, and next time I
might try a little creme fraiche instead. It is great served in small
portions with strong coffee.

I would not cook this again though unless I felt confident in a no
carb sweetner that would work for baking. What about using one of the
flavored da Vinci syrups? Or maybe a combination of erythritol and
splenda. I also like acesulfame-K, if I can find it, but can you bake
with it? Would not using sugar make the cake rise less?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:

: I brought along a clementine cake, which would have been a relatively
: low carb dessert, as desserts go, except that I chickened out at the
: last minute and used sugar rather than splenda as planned. I had a
: tiny piece of that, and a huge piece of definitely high-carb birthday
: cake too, oink oink :-)

After looking at the recipe, I would say tht sugar would not make a big
difference in this cake as it would in a normal layer cake, etc. ther
eis no chemical magic here, involving rising that might require or just be
much better, with sugar as opposed to artificial sweetener. I woudl use
Splenda or a aesculfane sweetener in place of the sugar and it should come
out about the same.

: Here is the clementine cake recipe, if anyone is interested. I used
: Nigella Lawson's recipe and made a few changes--but chickened out on
: subbing splenda.

: Ingredients:
: 5-6 unpeeled clementines (about 1 pound)
: 6 eggs
: sweetner equivalent to 2/3 cup of sugar
: 2 1/3 cups almond flour
: 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
: 1 teaspoon vanilla

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Dec 1, 8:13*am, "W. Baker" > wrote:

> After looking at the recipe, I would say tht sugar would not make a big
> difference in this cake as it would in a *normal layer cake, etc. *ther
> eis no chemical magic here, involving rising that might require or just be
> much better, with sugar as opposed to artificial sweetener. *I woudl use
> Splenda or a aesculfane sweetener in place of the sugar and it should come
> out about the same. *
>

> Wendy

Thanks Wendy, I think I might try this again for the end of year
holidays. I'm going to try a blend of 3-4 sweeteners....now the trick
for me will be to figure out how much I should use. The general rule
of thumb I have heard is a 3 to 1 ratio (substitute 1/3 cup of
sweetener to 1 cup of sugar). Does that sound about right? Somehow
that seems like a lot, and I would rather err on the less sweet
side.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Dec 1, 4:44*am, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> as i was reading this and drooling i was thinking the splenda with fiber
> might be a good choice so the volume is there, Lee
>
> --
> Have a wonderful day

Thanks Stormee, I was wondering that too. The cake is fairly dense
and maybe just a smidgen more baking powder would make it fluffier.
I'm thinking to use a blend of sweeteners because from what I read on
the internet (LOL) that seems to be a good way to avoid any of the
aftertastes associated with the various sweeteners.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
: On Dec 1, 8:13?am, "W. Baker" > wrote:

: >
[...]

I usually use the Splenda that mesures like sugar and I use a bit less
than I would for the sugar, but definitely not 1/3 as much. I tink you
will have to taste the batter and see how it tastes to you. When Imade
my cranberry cause for his thanksgiving the recipe called for 2 C of sugar
and I used about a cup and a half and the sauce was not too sweet, but had
a nice tang. I must say that when I taste , say some "real" sugared jam
it now tastes much too sweet for me. I prefer my homeemade jams sweetened
when I open the jar with packets of sweetener.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I WILL PROBABLY STICK WITH THE SPLENDA, I AM ALLERGIC TO SO MANY OF THEM I
HATE TAKING THE RISK, lEE

--
Have a great day
"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Dec 1, 4:44 am, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> as i was reading this and drooling i was thinking the splenda with fiber
> might be a good choice so the volume is there, Lee
>
> --
> Have a wonderful day

Thanks Stormee, I was wondering that too. The cake is fairly dense
and maybe just a smidgen more baking powder would make it fluffier.
I'm thinking to use a blend of sweeteners because from what I read on
the internet (LOL) that seems to be a good way to avoid any of the
aftertastes associated with the various sweeteners.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> It completely depends upon what you're using; liquid sucralose is wildly
> concentrated for instance, I think 8 drops is sweet as 1/4 C of sugar, for
> instance, and zero calorie, zero carb. I use it to lower the carb count
> of xylitol and other sweeteners.
>
> Susan

Yep, I'm still working on a bottle that I got a couple of years ago. I don't
get an aftertaste with it, like I do with Splenda.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Dec 2, 3:49*pm, Alice Faber > wrote:

> Now, I bought Xylitol and one of the other -ols at your recommendation.
> And everything I've used them in has an awful, awful taste. I'll give it
> one more try in something without lemon extract, and if that's bad, out
> it goes.

Hi Alice,

You might try mixing the -tols with at least two other sweeteners.
Susan is right that it has been reported anectodally that blending
"artificial" sweeteners lessens or avoids aftertastes, and these
practice seems most effective the more products in the "blend".

Personally, I find Acesulfame-K blended with aspartame not to have
much of an aftertaste, but AFAIK, my only experience with ACE K is in
Coke Zero and Pepsi Max, which use a blend of ACE K and aspartame. In
soda, I find it has a pleasant soft taste very similar to regular
sugar.

There's a product called Diabetisweet, I think, that is formulated to
mimic sugar and brown sugar. I have not used it though, so can't say
how it might work; it is not carb or calorie free but certainly an
improvement over regular table sugar. In any case, in the rare
instances I would want a sugar substitute, like holiday baking, I plan
to try a blend.

Best,

Ricavito

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
Ricavito > wrote:

> On Dec 2, 3:49Â*pm, Alice Faber > wrote:
>

> > Now, I bought Xylitol and one of the other -ols at your recommendation.
> > And everything I've used them in has an awful, awful taste. I'll give it
> > one more try in something without lemon extract, and if that's bad, out
> > it goes.
> >

> Hi Alice,
>
> You might try mixing the -tols with at least two other sweeteners.
> Susan is right that it has been reported anectodally that blending
> "artificial" sweeteners lessens or avoids aftertastes, and these
> practice seems most effective the more products in the "blend".

The horrible taste *was* mixed with Splenda. I personally don't have a
problem with plain Splenda, even with the filler. But these -ols were
expensive and nasty.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:12:50 -0800 (PST), Ricavito
> wrote:

>I brought along a clementine cake, which would have been a relatively
>low carb dessert, as desserts go, except that I chickened out at the
>last minute and used sugar rather than splenda as planned.

It works fine with Splenda, Rica - the sugar isn't needed for texture,
etc.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

thanksgiving greetings blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 3 25-11-2010 06:44 PM
Thanksgiving Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 70 28-10-2009 05:12 PM
Thanksgiving Day koko General Cooking 21 01-12-2008 03:03 AM
Thanksgiving MoM General Cooking 170 04-11-2005 03:01 AM
A Thanksgiving wish Dimitri General Cooking 0 24-11-2003 08:10 PM