Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Archer Farms Pasta Sauce. Pppyuck!

I bought this organic sauce from Target a few times. The jars are a little
smaller than most which works out well for just the two of us (Angela and
I). And as pasta sauce goes, it's low in carbs. It's also cheap! Normally
with pasta sauce, I add extra vegetables. I always add freeze dried onion
and red bell peppers if I have them. Sometimes add mushrooms, shredded
carrots, zucchini or whatever other fresh vegetables I have onhand.

The first time we had this sauce, I was in a hurry and didn't add any other
vegetables. While I found it to be edible, I didn't really like it. Angela
hated it and told me never to buy it again. But part of me just assumed
that the flavor was off because I didn't add the extra veggies.

I planned to make pasta for a quick dinner on Sunday night and decided to
make extra so we would have a quick meal for tonight as well. I do have
jars of other sauce here. We love the Amy's Organic and some of the
Classico Organic. Just not the Spinach for some unknown reason. And I have
a two pack of something I've yet to try that I got from Costco. But all the
jars are in the garage and at that point were not easy to get to. We bought
a shelving unit at Target and have since put it together but still have to
organize some more of the pantry items that are out there. So I just opted
to buy another jar of the Archer Farms just because it was easier to do so.

Then I realized that it wouldn't be enough sauce for all the pasta I was
cooking. I often add plain tomato sauce and Italian Seasoning to make more
sauce. But did I have any in the house? Nope. It too was in the garage.
So I used a can of diced tomatoes in juice.

When I opened the jar of the Archer Farms sauce, I immediately noticed an
off odor that reminded me of mold. But the sauce looked okay. No mold on
the lid or rim of the jar. I used it anyway. And it was not good. I
forced myself to eat my usual serving size of pasta, but Angela didn't
finish hers and didn't go back for seconds. Tonight she drowned hers in
Parmesan but it didn't help. I tried some crumbled rice cheese on mine and
it didn't help either.

I will not be buying this again! I don't know what they do to it to give it
the off flavor. The Classico with Spinach was equally bad but in a
different way. The only other sauce we've tried that wasn't good was the
Muir Glen Organic. It had a very acid quality to it. Oddly their salsa is
very good.

I am remembering the days when you couldn't buy canned or jarred pasta
sauce. At least not in this country. I made my sauce using canned tomatoes
and or sauce. Or if I had fresh tomatoes, I used those. The sauce was
always good. I remember cooking spaghetti for my brother when my parents
went out of town. He asked me what was wrong with the sauce? The reason
for this was that my mother always made sauce using some sort of packet that
you buy in the area where the gravy packets are. This sort of sauce tasted
okay but it separated out into tomato solids and watery stuff. We didn't
eat a lot of pasta with tomato sauce in our house when I was growing up.

Then they came out with Prego. I remember us laughing at the name. My mom
thought it sounded like something for pregnant women. I was not impressed
with that sauce and continued to make my own until there were more brands on
the market. Even then I made my own sauce most of the time. Only after I
had Angela and discovered that I could buy cans of Hunt's for 88 cents at
the commissary, did I switch over to buying my sauce all the time. I don't
buy that any more but I can't remember if it's due to the food allergies or
HFCS. But some of the flavors are low in carbs.

Perhaps I should go back to making my own sauce, at least when I have the
time. It's easy enough to make that I don't need a recipe for it! And if I
have any more of that Archer Farms stuff lurking about, it's going to the
food bank! I just feel sorry for the poor people who have to eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> mom thought it sounded like something for pregnant women. I was not
> impressed with that sauce and continued to make my own until there were
> more brands on the market. Even then I made my own sauce most of the
> time. Only after I had Angela and discovered that I could buy cans of
> Hunt's for 88 cents at the commissary, did I switch over to buying my
> sauce all the time. I don't buy that any more but I can't remember if
> it's due to the food allergies or HFCS. But some of the flavors are low
> in carbs.
>
> Perhaps I should go back to making my own sauce, at least when I have the
> time. It's easy enough to make that I don't need a recipe for it! And if
> I have any more of that Archer Farms stuff lurking about, it's going to
> the food bank! I just feel sorry for the poor people who have to eat it.

Whenever I have to use jarred sauce, I always add a can of tomatoes to it.
I never use dried onion, as it disagrees with my stomach. I often will
sautee some onion and garlic and then add some marsala wine, and the jarred
sauce and tomatoes. A pat of butter goes a long way towards making sauce
from a jar more palateable. We like Prego sauces when I need to use sauce
from a jar. But the very best sauce from a jar I have ever tasted is from
a local market and they sell their own brand. It is similar to homemade.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> Whenever I have to use jarred sauce, I always add a can of tomatoes to it.
> I never use dried onion, as it disagrees with my stomach. I often will
> sautee some onion and garlic and then add some marsala wine, and the
> jarred sauce and tomatoes. A pat of butter goes a long way towards
> making sauce from a jar more palateable. We like Prego sauces when I
> need to use sauce from a jar. But the very best sauce from a jar I have
> ever tasted is from a local market and they sell their own brand. It is
> similar to homemade.

I used to use wine in cooking but am not supposed to have liquor now. I did
have some in that beef that I bought at Costco.

I would never put butter in a red sauce even if I were not allergic. Olive
oil, yes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

dh almost always makes ours, i am not sure of the carbs in it as i am just
beginning to track those things.. what a learning curve... but his is very
simple always different and always good. he also alwyas makes our pizza
suace. Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> mom thought it sounded like something for pregnant women. I was not
> impressed with that sauce and continued to make my own until there were
> more brands on the market. Even then I made my own sauce most of the
> time. Only after I had Angela and discovered that I could buy cans of
> Hunt's for 88 cents at the commissary, did I switch over to buying my
> sauce all the time. I don't buy that any more but I can't remember if
> it's due to the food allergies or HFCS. But some of the flavors are low
> in carbs.
>
> Perhaps I should go back to making my own sauce, at least when I have the
> time. It's easy enough to make that I don't need a recipe for it! And if
> I have any more of that Archer Farms stuff lurking about, it's going to
> the food bank! I just feel sorry for the poor people who have to eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> Whenever I have to use jarred sauce, I always add a can of tomatoes to
>> it. I never use dried onion, as it disagrees with my stomach. I often
>> will sautee some onion and garlic and then add some marsala wine, and the
>> jarred sauce and tomatoes. A pat of butter goes a long way towards
>> making sauce from a jar more palateable. We like Prego sauces when I
>> need to use sauce from a jar. But the very best sauce from a jar I
>> have ever tasted is from a local market and they sell their own brand.
>> It is similar to homemade.

> I used to use wine in cooking but am not supposed to have liquor now. I
> did have some in that beef that I bought at Costco.
>
> I would never put butter in a red sauce even if I were not allergic.
> Olive oil, yes.

It's quite delicious and a Northern Italian thing. Most Americans are not
that familiar with Northern Italian cooking and in different regions of
Italy different ingredients are used. Olive oil is used everywhere, but in
the North in particular a lump of butter is often added to sauce just before
using it. It stretches the sauce, adds greatly to the flavor, and softens
the sharpness of the tomatoes. Of course if you are allergic, it is a moot
point, so forget I suggested it.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

makes it more creamy, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>> Whenever I have to use jarred sauce, I always add a can of tomatoes to
>>> it. I never use dried onion, as it disagrees with my stomach. I often
>>> will sautee some onion and garlic and then add some marsala wine, and
>>> the jarred sauce and tomatoes. A pat of butter goes a long way
>>> towards making sauce from a jar more palateable. We like Prego sauces
>>> when I need to use sauce from a jar. But the very best sauce from a
>>> jar I have ever tasted is from a local market and they sell their own
>>> brand. It is similar to homemade.

>> I used to use wine in cooking but am not supposed to have liquor now. I
>> did have some in that beef that I bought at Costco.
>>
>> I would never put butter in a red sauce even if I were not allergic.
>> Olive oil, yes.

> It's quite delicious and a Northern Italian thing. Most Americans are
> not that familiar with Northern Italian cooking and in different regions
> of Italy different ingredients are used. Olive oil is used everywhere,
> but in the North in particular a lump of butter is often added to sauce
> just before using it. It stretches the sauce, adds greatly to the
> flavor, and softens the sharpness of the tomatoes. Of course if you are
> allergic, it is a moot point, so forget I suggested it.
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> dh almost always makes ours, i am not sure of the carbs in it as i am just
> beginning to track those things.. what a learning curve... but his is very
> simple always different and always good. he also alwyas makes our pizza
> suace. Lee

I try not to go over 8/9g of carb per serving. And hopefully not that much.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>> Whenever I have to use jarred sauce, I always add a can of tomatoes to
>>> it. I never use dried onion, as it disagrees with my stomach. I often
>>> will sautee some onion and garlic and then add some marsala wine, and
>>> the jarred sauce and tomatoes. A pat of butter goes a long way
>>> towards making sauce from a jar more palateable. We like Prego sauces
>>> when I need to use sauce from a jar. But the very best sauce from a
>>> jar I have ever tasted is from a local market and they sell their own
>>> brand. It is similar to homemade.

>> I used to use wine in cooking but am not supposed to have liquor now. I
>> did have some in that beef that I bought at Costco.
>>
>> I would never put butter in a red sauce even if I were not allergic.
>> Olive oil, yes.

> It's quite delicious and a Northern Italian thing. Most Americans are
> not that familiar with Northern Italian cooking and in different regions
> of Italy different ingredients are used. Olive oil is used everywhere,
> but in the North in particular a lump of butter is often added to sauce
> just before using it. It stretches the sauce, adds greatly to the
> flavor, and softens the sharpness of the tomatoes. Of course if you are
> allergic, it is a moot point, so forget I suggested it.

Hmmm... I had a roommate who was Northern Italian and she never did that.
She did however fry the heck out of the dried seasonings before she put the
tomato sauce in. In those days I don't think we ever had olive oil in the
house. Most likely it was Wesson. She was also a terrible cook. Whenever
she invited her boyfriend to dinner he would call me and ask me who was
cooking. He had to call me because if he asked her she would get angry at
him. Hehehe.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

is that just for the sauce or including the pasta? Lee who just got some
new pasta to try

--
Have a wonderful day

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> dh almost always makes ours, i am not sure of the carbs in it as i am
>> just beginning to track those things.. what a learning curve... but his
>> is very simple always different and always good. he also alwyas makes
>> our pizza suace. Lee
>>

> I try not to go over 8/9g of carb per serving. And hopefully not that
> much.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> is that just for the sauce or including the pasta? Lee who just got some
> new pasta to try

Heavens no! That couldn't possibly include the pasta.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i didn't think so but wasn't sure, am still learning, and DH is getting used
to reading carbs, he is programmed to ingr. and the things i need for points
so it is a slow learnig curve for both of us... i totally failed on the
dessert... i asked him to ge t the lowest point angel food cake mix
available... when he got it home i made the dessert, yummy but while the
cake was cooking i was horrified when he read the carbs, 32 per serving and
instead of flour for the first ingr. it was sugar... we won't be making this
again after i use the second box. Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> is that just for the sauce or including the pasta? Lee who just got some
>> new pasta to try

> Heavens no! That couldn't possibly include the pasta.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> I used to use wine in cooking but am not supposed to have liquor now. I
>>> did have some in that beef that I bought at Costco.
>>>
>>> I would never put butter in a red sauce even if I were not allergic.
>>> Olive oil, yes.

>> It's quite delicious and a Northern Italian thing. Most Americans are
>> not that familiar with Northern Italian cooking and in different regions
>> of Italy different ingredients are used. Olive oil is used everywhere,
>> but in the North in particular a lump of butter is often added to sauce
>> just before using it. It stretches the sauce, adds greatly to the
>> flavor, and softens the sharpness of the tomatoes. Of course if you are
>> allergic, it is a moot point, so forget I suggested it.

> Hmmm... I had a roommate who was Northern Italian and she never did that.
> She did however fry the heck out of the dried seasonings before she put
> the tomato sauce in. In those days I don't think we ever had olive oil in
> the house. Most likely it was Wesson. She was also a terrible cook.
> Whenever she invited her boyfriend to dinner he would call me and ask me
> who was cooking. He had to call me because if he asked her she would get
> angry at him. Hehehe.

LOL! That sure blows up the mistaken belief that all italian girls are good
cooks! Well I do know a bit about Italian cookery, even if I am not
italian myself. Different areas of the country use different techniques
in sauce making. Some use spices and some don't. To some, the very
presence of garlic is offensive,....... to others they load it up! My
first husband was Italian and of his two grandmothers, I had to learn a bit
about their different philosophies of cooking. One (the northern one)
made a sauce so delicate and so clear it was really quite wonderful. She
put the garlic in the oil only for a moment to flavor the oil, then removed
it. The only spice she would use was basil and parsley, and of course
salt and pepper. The tomatoes had to be super strained, and no seeds!
She had a special mill to strain out the seeds. She would lace it
liberally with butter. The other grandmother, who was from Sicily, would
put everything but the kitchen sink into her sauce. She would have wild
mushrooms, a chunk of lamb, a chunk of beef, meatballs, sausages, lots of
spices, you name it...... it was in there. Both sauces were delicious
and unique in their own way. I still make the northern grandma's sweet
mild sauce with all the butter once in a while. It goes fantastic with
ravioli, by the way.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

both sound wonderful, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> It's quite delicious and a Northern Italian thing. Most Americans are
>>> not that familiar with Northern Italian cooking and in different regions
>>> of Italy different ingredients are used. Olive oil is used everywhere,
>>> but in the North in particular a lump of butter is often added to sauce
>>> just before using it. It stretches the sauce, adds greatly to the
>>> flavor, and softens the sharpness of the tomatoes. Of course if you
>>> are allergic, it is a moot point, so forget I suggested it.

>> Hmmm... I had a roommate who was Northern Italian and she never did
>> that. She did however fry the heck out of the dried seasonings before she
>> put the tomato sauce in. In those days I don't think we ever had olive
>> oil in the house. Most likely it was Wesson. She was also a terrible
>> cook. Whenever she invited her boyfriend to dinner he would call me and
>> ask me who was cooking. He had to call me because if he asked her she
>> would get angry at him. Hehehe.

> LOL! That sure blows up the mistaken belief that all italian girls are
> good cooks! Well I do know a bit about Italian cookery, even if I am not
> italian myself. Different areas of the country use different techniques
> in sauce making. Some use spices and some don't. To some, the very
> presence of garlic is offensive,....... to others they load it up! My
> first husband was Italian and of his two grandmothers, I had to learn a
> bit about their different philosophies of cooking. One (the northern
> one) made a sauce so delicate and so clear it was really quite wonderful.
> She put the garlic in the oil only for a moment to flavor the oil, then
> removed it. The only spice she would use was basil and parsley, and of
> course salt and pepper. The tomatoes had to be super strained, and no
> seeds! She had a special mill to strain out the seeds. She would lace
> it liberally with butter. The other grandmother, who was from Sicily,
> would put everything but the kitchen sink into her sauce. She would
> have wild mushrooms, a chunk of lamb, a chunk of beef, meatballs,
> sausages, lots of spices, you name it...... it was in there. Both
> sauces were delicious and unique in their own way. I still make the
> northern grandma's sweet mild sauce with all the butter once in a while.
> It goes fantastic with ravioli, by the way.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i didn't think so but wasn't sure, am still learning, and DH is getting
>used to reading carbs, he is programmed to ingr. and the things i need for
>points so it is a slow learnig curve for both of us... i totally failed on
>the dessert... i asked him to ge t the lowest point angel food cake mix
>available... when he got it home i made the dessert, yummy but while the
>cake was cooking i was horrified when he read the carbs, 32 per serving and
>instead of flour for the first ingr. it was sugar... we won't be making
>this again after i use the second box. Lee

Yeah. Apparently it's low in fat but not carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> It's quite delicious and a Northern Italian thing. Most Americans are
>>> not that familiar with Northern Italian cooking and in different regions
>>> of Italy different ingredients are used. Olive oil is used everywhere,
>>> but in the North in particular a lump of butter is often added to sauce
>>> just before using it. It stretches the sauce, adds greatly to the
>>> flavor, and softens the sharpness of the tomatoes. Of course if you
>>> are allergic, it is a moot point, so forget I suggested it.

>> Hmmm... I had a roommate who was Northern Italian and she never did
>> that. She did however fry the heck out of the dried seasonings before she
>> put the tomato sauce in. In those days I don't think we ever had olive
>> oil in the house. Most likely it was Wesson. She was also a terrible
>> cook. Whenever she invited her boyfriend to dinner he would call me and
>> ask me who was cooking. He had to call me because if he asked her she
>> would get angry at him. Hehehe.

> LOL! That sure blows up the mistaken belief that all italian girls are
> good cooks! Well I do know a bit about Italian cookery, even if I am not
> italian myself. Different areas of the country use different techniques
> in sauce making. Some use spices and some don't. To some, the very
> presence of garlic is offensive,....... to others they load it up! My
> first husband was Italian and of his two grandmothers, I had to learn a
> bit about their different philosophies of cooking. One (the northern
> one) made a sauce so delicate and so clear it was really quite wonderful.
> She put the garlic in the oil only for a moment to flavor the oil, then
> removed it. The only spice she would use was basil and parsley, and of
> course salt and pepper. The tomatoes had to be super strained, and no
> seeds! She had a special mill to strain out the seeds. She would lace
> it liberally with butter. The other grandmother, who was from Sicily,
> would put everything but the kitchen sink into her sauce. She would
> have wild mushrooms, a chunk of lamb, a chunk of beef, meatballs,
> sausages, lots of spices, you name it...... it was in there. Both
> sauces were delicious and unique in their own way. I still make the
> northern grandma's sweet mild sauce with all the butter once in a while.
> It goes fantastic with ravioli, by the way.

I used to put a pinch of cinnamon in my sauce. I saw on some cooking show
that they do this in Northern Italy. I also put a squirt of lemon juice in
as did my Italian MIL. She used a lot of garlic in the stuff she cooked for
the men. The men in her family really like it and they also like super
hot/spicy foods.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> >i didn't think so but wasn't sure, am still learning, and DH is getting
> >used to reading carbs, he is programmed to ingr. and the things i need for
> >points so it is a slow learnig curve for both of us... i totally failed on
> >the dessert... i asked him to ge t the lowest point angel food cake mix
> >available... when he got it home i made the dessert, yummy but while the
> >cake was cooking i was horrified when he read the carbs, 32 per serving and
> >instead of flour for the first ingr. it was sugar... we won't be making
> >this again after i use the second box. Lee
> >

> Yeah. Apparently it's low in fat but not carbs.

If you *have* to eat a full sugar dessert, a small slice of plain
cheesecake is lovely, and all the fat slows the spike a bit. Cheesecake
made with artificial sweetener is even better, but if you're trapped in
a dessert bar and you HAVE to eat something (and berries and cream
aren't available), go for the cheesecake.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

its no fat and very low in calories for a cake mix, but the sugar just
slapped me in the face, if we still had the register tape i would return it,
but since we don't i will use it up or donate it not sure which. but i can
swear on a stack of cook books this won't happen again, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i didn't think so but wasn't sure, am still learning, and DH is getting
>>used to reading carbs, he is programmed to ingr. and the things i need for
>>points so it is a slow learnig curve for both of us... i totally failed on
>>the dessert... i asked him to ge t the lowest point angel food cake mix
>>available... when he got it home i made the dessert, yummy but while the
>>cake was cooking i was horrified when he read the carbs, 32 per serving
>>and instead of flour for the first ingr. it was sugar... we won't be
>>making this again after i use the second box. Lee
>>

> Yeah. Apparently it's low in fat but not carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i wason the hunt for a jelly roll for my brother, i had cooked a bag of
frozen mixed berries and splenda to get it for the filling but this won't
work. He loves berry desserts and jelly roll things so i fugred i would
give it a shot... this would make him need a couple of shots, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> >i didn't think so but wasn't sure, am still learning, and DH is getting
>> >used to reading carbs, he is programmed to ingr. and the things i need
>> >for
>> >points so it is a slow learnig curve for both of us... i totally failed
>> >on
>> >the dessert... i asked him to ge t the lowest point angel food cake mix
>> >available... when he got it home i made the dessert, yummy but while the
>> >cake was cooking i was horrified when he read the carbs, 32 per serving
>> >and
>> >instead of flour for the first ingr. it was sugar... we won't be making
>> >this again after i use the second box. Lee
>> >

>> Yeah. Apparently it's low in fat but not carbs.

> If you *have* to eat a full sugar dessert, a small slice of plain
> cheesecake is lovely, and all the fat slows the spike a bit. Cheesecake
> made with artificial sweetener is even better, but if you're trapped in
> a dessert bar and you HAVE to eat something (and berries and cream
> aren't available), go for the cheesecake.
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I just like mixed berries prepared with a bit of Splenda with whipped cream
on top....with frozen fruit you can even eat it in the winter. Sugar free
Vanilla pudding with a tablespoon of fruit on top with whipped cream is also
tasty When eating cheesecake at a restaurant try not to eat any crust and
that will help cut the carbs...and don't eat the whole thing....I am usually
satisfied with just two or three bites.

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> >i didn't think so but wasn't sure, am still learning, and DH is getting
>> >used to reading carbs, he is programmed to ingr. and the things i need
>> >for
>> >points so it is a slow learnig curve for both of us... i totally failed
>> >on
>> >the dessert... i asked him to ge t the lowest point angel food cake mix
>> >available... when he got it home i made the dessert, yummy but while the
>> >cake was cooking i was horrified when he read the carbs, 32 per serving
>> >and
>> >instead of flour for the first ingr. it was sugar... we won't be making
>> >this again after i use the second box. Lee
>> >

>> Yeah. Apparently it's low in fat but not carbs.

> If you *have* to eat a full sugar dessert, a small slice of plain
> cheesecake is lovely, and all the fat slows the spike a bit. Cheesecake
> made with artificial sweetener is even better, but if you're trapped in
> a dessert bar and you HAVE to eat something (and berries and cream
> aren't available), go for the cheesecake.
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

dh and i have shared desserts for years when eating out, really works well.
Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I just like mixed berries prepared with a bit of Splenda with whipped cream
>on top....with frozen fruit you can even eat it in the winter. Sugar free
>Vanilla pudding with a tablespoon of fruit on top with whipped cream is
>also tasty When eating cheesecake at a restaurant try not to eat any
>crust and that will help cut the carbs...and don't eat the whole thing....I
>am usually satisfied with just two or three bites.
>

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,

>>> Yeah. Apparently it's low in fat but not carbs.

>> If you *have* to eat a full sugar dessert, a small slice of plain
>> cheesecake is lovely, and all the fat slows the spike a bit. Cheesecake
>> made with artificial sweetener is even better, but if you're trapped in
>> a dessert bar and you HAVE to eat something (and berries and cream
>> aren't available), go for the cheesecake.
>>
>> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> I just like mixed berries prepared with a bit of Splenda with whipped
> cream on top....with frozen fruit you can even eat it in the winter.
> Sugar free Vanilla pudding with a tablespoon of fruit on top with
> whipped cream is also tasty When eating cheesecake at a restaurant
> try not to eat any crust and that will help cut the carbs...and don't
> eat the whole thing....I am usually satisfied with just two or three
> bites.

Berries set in sugar free berry flavoured jellies (jell-o) are great too.
Adds some substance to a dessert.

Nice way to make a diabetic cranberry jelly too. Even a mint jelly for
meats. Use a lemon flavoured one and add some brown vinegar and lots of
chopped mint to the hot water when preparing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i wason the hunt for a jelly roll for my brother, i had cooked a bag of
>frozen mixed berries and splenda to get it for the filling but this won't
>work. He loves berry desserts and jelly roll things so i fugred i would
>give it a shot... this would make him need a couple of shots, Lee

Most anything that requires flour isn't going to work well for a diabetic.
Better things are things made with nuts, eggs, cream or cream cheese. I've
seen flourless cake recipes and cakes made with almond meal, but they
probably wouldn't work for that.

One thing I've done is to make strawberry Jell-O and add plenty of fresh or
frozen strawberries or mixed berries. That might work.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:11:34 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Nice way to make a diabetic cranberry jelly too. Even a mint jelly for
>meats. Use a lemon flavoured one and add some brown vinegar and lots of
>chopped mint to the hot water when preparing.

Hah - cool tip

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

am leaning towards the fruit jello... what really got me was there ws more
sugar than flour in this thing... Lee

--
Have a wonderful day