Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default tomatoes!

We had a boatload of tomatoes from the garden this year, mainly meaty
Romas and a few Mortgage Lifters and Better Boys. I've been drying
them with a vengance all summer, sealing them in plastic bags, and
freezing. I put up 3 pints in olive oil. I dipped the dried tomatoes
in boiling vinegar, put them in sterilized glass jars, covered them
with a very good EVOO, and put them in a dark corner of the pantry. I
opened the first jar on Friday, chopped up a handful, and put them on
a salad of homegrown greens and fresh cheese. We're still alive
today, and so I guess the tomato preserve method is safe, LOL. I am
keeping the opened jar in the fridge though.

Late harvest green tomatoes I've heard can be ripened by wrapping them
individually in a bit of newspaper and putting them in the pantry.
I've heard it can take months, which would be just about the time I'd
be ready to kill for a good tasting fresh tomato.

It is football Sunday again, lol. Today, I am making pot roast with a
piece of beef with lots of bones, roasting in a slow (275F) oven.
I'll pick out the bones and drain the oil off and put them back in a
hotter oven with some sliced carrot, celery, and onion. Maybe some
sliced cabbage too. I got a huge one at the farmers' market yesterday
for 75 cents.

I am also making tomato confit. I sprinkled the last of the ripe
tomatoes with EVOO and some seasalt we collected from a family salt
farm in the old country and am roasting them in the slow oven with the
pot roast.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the confit though! Before I
would have served it with a rustic bread. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
> We had a boatload of tomatoes from the garden this year, mainly meaty
> Romas and a few Mortgage Lifters and Better Boys. I've been drying
> them with a vengance all summer, sealing them in plastic bags, and
> freezing. I put up 3 pints in olive oil. I dipped the dried tomatoes
> in boiling vinegar, put them in sterilized glass jars, covered them
> with a very good EVOO, and put them in a dark corner of the pantry. I
> opened the first jar on Friday, chopped up a handful, and put them on
> a salad of homegrown greens and fresh cheese. We're still alive
> today, and so I guess the tomato preserve method is safe, LOL. I am
> keeping the opened jar in the fridge though.
>
> Late harvest green tomatoes I've heard can be ripened by wrapping them
> individually in a bit of newspaper and putting them in the pantry.
> I've heard it can take months, which would be just about the time I'd
> be ready to kill for a good tasting fresh tomato.
>
> It is football Sunday again, lol. Today, I am making pot roast with a
> piece of beef with lots of bones, roasting in a slow (275F) oven.
> I'll pick out the bones and drain the oil off and put them back in a
> hotter oven with some sliced carrot, celery, and onion. Maybe some
> sliced cabbage too. I got a huge one at the farmers' market yesterday
> for 75 cents.
>
> I am also making tomato confit. I sprinkled the last of the ripe
> tomatoes with EVOO and some seasalt we collected from a family salt
> farm in the old country and am roasting them in the slow oven with the
> pot roast.
>
> I don't know what I'm going to do with the confit though! Before I
> would have served it with a rustic bread. Any ideas?

Spread some brie on a Wasa cracker and top it with the tomatoes?

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Nov 1, 10:44*am, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

> > We had a boatload of tomatoes from the garden this year, mainly meaty
> > Romas and a few Mortgage Lifters and Better Boys. *I've been drying
> > them with a vengance all summer, sealing them in plastic bags, and
> > freezing. *I put up 3 pints in olive oil. I dipped the dried tomatoes
> > in boiling vinegar, put them in sterilized glass jars, covered them
> > with a very good EVOO, and put them in a dark corner of the pantry. *I
> > opened the first jar on Friday, chopped up a handful, and put them on
> > a salad of homegrown greens and fresh cheese. *We're still alive
> > today, and so I guess the tomato preserve method is safe, LOL. *I am
> > keeping the opened jar in the fridge though.

> > Late harvest green tomatoes I've heard can be ripened by wrapping them
> > individually in a bit of newspaper and putting them in the pantry.
> > I've heard it can take months, which would be just about the time I'd
> > be ready to kill for a good tasting fresh tomato.

> > It is football Sunday again, lol. *Today, I am making pot roast with a
> > piece of beef with lots of bones, roasting in a slow (275F) oven.
> > I'll pick out the bones and drain the oil off and put them back in a
> > hotter oven with some sliced carrot, celery, and onion. *Maybe some
> > sliced cabbage too. *I got a huge one at the farmers' market yesterday
> > for 75 cents.

> > I am also making tomato confit. *I sprinkled the last of the ripe
> > tomatoes with EVOO and some seasalt we collected from a family salt
> > farm in the old country and am roasting them in the slow oven with the
> > pot roast.

> > I don't know what I'm going to do with the confit though! *Before I
> > would have served it with a rustic bread. *Any ideas?

> Spread some brie on a Wasa cracker and top it with the tomatoes?
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
> heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Evelyn, that is a good suggestion and I would have tried it if
I'd had some brie and wasa, lol.... I do usually keep both.

I added garlic and fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme, and bay leaves to
the roasting pan, and the confit came out really delicious, but maybe
a little too salty. I have a tendency to oversalt with the farmed
salt for some reason. The grains are really large, but it is too wet
to grind well.

I ended up tossing it with greens, some goat cheese, and walnuts and
warmed it to wilt the greens and get the cheese gooey--it was good!

I spent so many years eating convenience food because work kept me too
busy or on the road, and I never took the time to learn how to prepare
food. Now I'm trying to slow down, let it go, enjoy the present, just
be here now, you know :-). I like taking the time to cook slowly and
attentively. Who knows, I might be a good cook yet!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
[...]

Don't know aboaut the confit, but when I get tons of tomatoes in the late
summer, in addition to drying them I make lots of stewed tomatoes with
onions green pepper and an added sprig of basil added to each pint as I
freeze them. One thing is that you get tons of celicious juice that is
too much to use in the freezing so I boil it down a bit before adding some
to each pint of drained stewed tomatoes and use the rest a a delicious
soup.

I have ripened greentomatoes in a box lyered with newspaper, but you have
to keep cheking as they may start to rot and ruin the rest.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Nov 1, 1:39 pm, "W. Baker" > wrote:

> I have ripened greentomatoes in a box lyered with newspaper, but you have
> to keep cheking as they may start to rot and ruin the rest.
>
> Wendy

Yes, that happened to me last year. I did what I usually do, which is
just leave them in few layers of brown paper bags. I didn't
individually wrap them though and must have had a bad one in with the
rest and it spoiled the whole batch. I think I'll try the individual
wrapping and maybe that will prevent cross contamination.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:24:29 -0800 (PST), Ricavito
> wrote:

>On Nov 1, 1:39 pm, "W. Baker" > wrote:
>

>> I have ripened greentomatoes in a box lyered with newspaper, but you have
>> to keep cheking as they may start to rot and ruin the rest.
>>
>> Wendy

>Yes, that happened to me last year. I did what I usually do, which is
>just leave them in few layers of brown paper bags. I didn't
>individually wrap them though and must have had a bad one in with the
>rest and it spoiled the whole batch. I think I'll try the individual
>wrapping and maybe that will prevent cross contamination.

I have a mountain of green tomatoes on my kitchen windowsill - about
half of them are showing signs of ripening. I don't have room to store
them flat and wrapped anywhere, so I'm hoping they sort themselves out
on their own - and that the position lets me spot any that are
spoiling! Quentin said something about them needing heat to ripen?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
> On Nov 1, 1:39 pm, "W. Baker" > wrote:
> > I have ripened greentomatoes in a box lyered with newspaper, but you have
> > to keep cheking as they may start to rot and ruin the rest.
> >
> > Wendy

> Yes, that happened to me last year. I did what I usually do, which is
> just leave them in few layers of brown paper bags. I didn't
> individually wrap them though and must have had a bad one in with the
> rest and it spoiled the whole batch. I think I'll try the individual
> wrapping and maybe that will prevent cross contamination.

When I was growing up, fall meant that the dining room table was covered
with newspaper and green tomatoes, all sitting not quite touching,
stem-end down.

PP, T2, loves tomatoes
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Nov 3, 2:07*pm, Peppermint Patootie >
wrote:

> When I was growing up, fall meant that the dining room table was covered
> with newspaper and green tomatoes, all sitting not quite touching,
> stem-end down. *
>
> PP, T2, loves tomatoes

That sounds like a happy household

I wrapped 'em in individual strips of newspaper and nestled them in 2
layers in a cardboard box in the pantry, with the greenest on the
bottom layer. Most of them were romas, so they're on their sides.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> > When I was growing up, fall meant that the dining room table was
> > covered with newspaper and green tomatoes, all sitting not quite
> > touching, stem-end down. =A0

> That sounds like a happy household
>
> I wrapped 'em in individual strips of newspaper and nestled them in 2
> layers in a cardboard box in the pantry, with the greenest on the
> bottom layer. Most of them were romas, so they're on their sides.

We only grow San Marzano Romas. We save them by making tomato sauce,
vac-sealing and freezing it.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Nov 3, 11:30*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Ricavito > wrote:
> > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> > > When I was growing up, fall meant that the dining room table was
> > > covered with newspaper and green tomatoes, all sitting not quite
> > > touching, stem-end down. =A0

> > That sounds like a happy household

> > I wrapped 'em in individual strips of newspaper and nestled them in 2
> > layers in a cardboard box in the pantry, with the greenest on the
> > bottom layer. *Most of them were romas, so they're on their sides.

> We only grow San Marzano Romas. We save them by making tomato sauce,
> vac-sealing and freezing it.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: *https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/* *Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: *http://anymarine.com/* You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! * * * * * * * * ~Semper Fi~ * * * * * * * *USMC 1365061

Yeah, I got a lot of those types of bags in the freezer too.

Do you do anything with green tomatoes Nick? Does Jun have any good
recipes? I've had them southern fried, in cornmeal batter I think,
but didn't really care for it. Maybe some kind of vinegary relish
would be good....

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
> On Nov 3, 11:30=A0pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > We only grow San Marzano Romas. We save them by making tomato sauce,
> > vac-sealing and freezing it.

> Yeah, I got a lot of those types of bags in the freezer too.
>
> Do you do anything with green tomatoes Nick? Does Jun have any good
> recipes? I've had them southern fried, in cornmeal batter I think,
> but didn't really care for it. Maybe some kind of vinegary relish
> would be good....

The only thing we've done with green tomatoes so far is let them turn red,
Rica. To freeze the sauce without having it sucked into the sealer, we bag
it, stand the bag on end in the freezer 'til it's frozen, then vac and seal
it.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:

: Do you do anything with green tomatoes Nick? Does Jun have any good
: recipes? I've had them southern fried, in cornmeal batter I think,
: but didn't really care for it. Maybe some kind of vinegary relish
: would be good....

I don't have a recipe, but I love the dill pickled green toamtoes that
come in blass jars(or at Jewish delis). I get the Batampte brand as that
is what is availalbe arond here. You might try gooling on pickeled green
tomatoes and I imagine you may be flooded with recipes.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote:
> On Nov 3, 11:30 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > We only grow San Marzano Romas. We save them by making tomato sauce,
> > vac-sealing and freezing it.

> Yeah, I got a lot of those types of bags in the freezer too.
>
> Do you do anything with green tomatoes Nick? Does Jun have any good
> recipes? I've had them southern fried, in cornmeal batter I think,
> but didn't really care for it. Maybe some kind of vinegary relish
> would be good....

[]

Never tried that, Robert. Always vine-ripened.

BTW Before vac-sealing any liquidy stuff, I pre-freeze it standing up in
the bag, so the juice doesn't get sucked into the snorkel. For something
like a nice juicey steak, I do this:

http://img4.tinypic.info/files/m6psm6kwowu27lic0wh8.jpg

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "Robert Miles" > wrote:
: > On Nov 3, 11:30 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
: > > [ . . . ]
: > > We only grow San Marzano Romas. We save them by making tomato sauce,
: > > vac-sealing and freezing it.

: > Yeah, I got a lot of those types of bags in the freezer too.
: >
: > Do you do anything with green tomatoes Nick? Does Jun have any good
: > recipes? I've had them southern fried, in cornmeal batter I think,
: > but didn't really care for it. Maybe some kind of vinegary relish
: > would be good....
: []

: Never tried that, Robert. Always vine-ripened.

: Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

If you live where there is no danger of freezing you can leave them on the
vine. Great place for indetirminate varieties.

Wendy

Tomatoes anyone? Ian Field Diabetic 19 18-10-2014 09:07 PM
Tomatoes in oi Ophelia[_11_] Preserving 2 31-08-2014 07:10 PM
McD and Tomatoes? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 47 11-06-2007 06:50 PM
Crushed tomatoes/whole canned tomatoes biig General Cooking 22 19-01-2007 07:37 PM
For the Guy With Extra Cherry Tomatoes - Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes ~patches~ General Cooking 5 23-08-2005 08:55 PM