Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Substitute for Condensed Milk?

I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?

It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
for a different treat.

They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high, just
a few feet:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?

Wendy, I think I'd try substituting heavy cream with some artificial
sweetener mixed in.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
>
> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
> for a different treat.
>
> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high, just
> a few feet:-)

I use heavy cream and Splenda. I think what I did was look at the sugar
content on a can of condensed milk at the supermarket, and see what the
carb content was, and then worked backward, assuming that some of the
carbs were lactose in the milk.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country
> today and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14
> oz) can of sweetened condensed milk in the filling.

What about these ideas:

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/lowcarb/keylime.html

http://www.divinerecipes.com/recipe....ime-Cheesecake

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/RECIPE...me_locarb.html

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/key-lim...on/detail.aspx

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it
> in a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do
> bitter chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened
> chocolate?
>
> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
> for a different treat.
>
> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high,
> just a few feet:-)

Googling on condensed milk substitutions seemed to give me dry milk powder
as a common ingredient. High lactose IIRC.

I'd try heavy cream and Sweeta. At worst, you'd have to add your
experiments to coffee and such (or send to me for disposal)!

Zei gezunt, Shvester!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
> > I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> > and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can
> > of sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the
> > filling ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime
> > juice, cream cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some
> > sugar). Have any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk
> > to substitute. How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could
> > you just mix it in a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of
> > milk as you do bitter chocolate if you are making it a replacement for
> > a sweetened chocolate?

> Wendy, I think I'd try substituting heavy cream with some artificial
> sweetener mixed in.

LMAO Maybe I should read ahead before posting!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber > wrote:
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
> > I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> > and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can
> > of sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the
> > filling ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime
> > juice, cream cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some
> > sugar). Have any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk
> > to substitute. How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could
> > you just mix it in a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of
> > milk as you do bitter chocolate if you are making it a replacement for
> > a sweetened chocolate?
> >
> > It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker
> > crust for a different treat.
> >
> > They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
> > with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
> > meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high,
> > just a few feet:-)

> I use heavy cream and Splenda. I think what I did was look at the sugar
> content on a can of condensed milk at the supermarket, and see what the
> carb content was, and then worked backward, assuming that some of the
> carbs were lactose in the milk.

I knew that!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

for pumkin pie i use a extra egg and heavy cream and splenda..works
fine..taste the same with same texture.

you could try cream with extra cream cheese and splenda..since it s key lime
pie anyhoo...

KROM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
>
> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
> for a different treat.
>
> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high, just
> a few feet:-)
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom > wrote:
: for pumkin pie i use a extra egg and heavy cream and splenda..works
: fine..taste the same with same texture.

: you could try cream with extra cream cheese and splenda..since it s key lime
: pie anyhoo...

: KROM

Ynfortunately no eggs as this is a no-cook recipe. also the recipes I
looked at on lne called for lots of gelatine, which my recipe(which I hope
to get on line wht America's test Kitchen posts it) cut back(they used
some vanilla pudding as a thicken as well as a small amount of gelatine)
I had thought of double skimmed milk powder + cream and splenda. Maybe
more cream cheese, ending up with a kind of key lime cheesecake:-)
Somehow using al heavy cream bothers my overweight heart:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
>
> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
> for a different treat.
>
> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high, just
> a few feet:-)
>
> Wendy

I would guess that recipe might need some serious tweaking. Something like
whipped cream folded into the other ingredients, possibly? Splenda and
heavy cream might be the best substitutes, but sweetened condensed milk is
definitely a no-no for us. You could possibly use regular condensed milk
(unsweetened) and add splenda to that. But then you would most likely need
to tweak the amount of gelatin in it.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
>> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
>> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
>> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
>> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
>> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
>> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it
>> in
>> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
>> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
>>
>> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
>> for a different treat.
>>
>> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
>> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
>> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high,
>> just
>> a few feet:-)
>>

> I use heavy cream and Splenda. I think what I did was look at the sugar
> content on a can of condensed milk at the supermarket, and see what the
> carb content was, and then worked backward, assuming that some of the
> carbs were lactose in the milk.

If you have a low carb version of Key Lime pie, I would love to try it. It
is a great favorite of my husband's.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta NipÄta 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> >
> >> I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> >> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
> >> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
> >> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
> >> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
> >> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
> >> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it
> >> in
> >> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
> >> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
> >>
> >> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
> >> for a different treat.
> >>
> >> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
> >> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
> >> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high,
> >> just
> >> a few feet:-)
> >>

> > I use heavy cream and Splenda. I think what I did was look at the sugar
> > content on a can of condensed milk at the supermarket, and see what the
> > carb content was, and then worked backward, assuming that some of the
> > carbs were lactose in the milk.
> >

> If you have a low carb version of Key Lime pie, I would love to try it. It
> is a great favorite of my husband's.

Sorry, no. I do low carb pumpkin pie with the cream and Splenda, with a straight substitution in the recipe on the pumpkin can (well,
added Splenda, to account for the sweetness in the condensed milk).

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>
>> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message

>> > I use heavy cream and Splenda. I think what I did was look at the sugar
>> > content on a can of condensed milk at the supermarket, and see what the
>> > carb content was, and then worked backward, assuming that some of the
>> > carbs were lactose in the milk.
>> >

>> If you have a low carb version of Key Lime pie, I would love to try it.
>> It
>> is a great favorite of my husband's.

> Sorry, no. I do low carb pumpkin pie with the cream and Splenda, with a
> straight substitution in the recipe on the pumpkin can (well,
> added Splenda, to account for the sweetness in the condensed milk).

That's OK. Some suggestions were offered by other readers. :-)

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta NipÄta 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Nov 1, 7:33*am, "W. Baker" > wrote:
> krom > wrote:
>
> : for pumkin pie i use a extra egg and heavy cream and splenda..works
> : fine..taste the same with same texture.
>
> : you could try cream with extra cream cheese and splenda..since it s key lime
> : pie anyhoo...
>
> : KROM
>
> Ynfortunately no eggs as this is a no-cook recipe. * also the recipes I
> looked at on lne called for lots of gelatine, which my recipe(which I hope
> to get on line wht America's test Kitchen posts it) cut back(they used
> some vanilla pudding as a thicken as well as a small amount of gelatine) *
> I had thought of double skimmed milk powder + cream and splenda. *Maybe
> more cream cheese, ending up with a kind of key lime cheesecake:-)
> Somehow using al *heavy cream bothers my overweight heart:-)
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy, what about xanthum gum sprinkled in a milk/cream mixture to
thicken and splenda to sweeten? I've never used xanthum gum though,
so can't say how it works/tastes. Would almond flour act as a
thickener?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: >I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
: > and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
: > sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
: > ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
: > cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
: > any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
: > How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
: > a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
: > chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
: >
: > It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
: > for a different treat.
: >
: > They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
: > with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
: > meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high, just
: > a few feet:-)
: >
: > Wendy

: whipped cream folded into the other ingredients, possibly? Splenda and
: heavy cream might be the best substitutes, but sweetened condensed milk is
: definitely a no-no for us. You could possibly use regular condensed milk
: (unsweetened) and add splenda to that. But then you would most likely need
: to tweak the amount of gelatin in it.

: Evelyn

That was my first thought, evaporated mlk( similar to condensed, but no
sugar) adn added splenda, but I would use less than the whole can of milk
as the sugar in the condensed must take up some of the space as does the
sugar in chocolate mixtures as I leardned when I made a one to one
substittion in a mousse recipe, using 12 oz of bitter baking choclate to
replace 12 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I now know that 5-7 oz of
the baking chocolate works correctly and is not overpowering.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have several recipes for making sweetened condensed milk without real
sugar and all of them are terrible.

I suggest you try experiment with some plain gelatin and cream and
artificial sweetener of your choice.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

oh i saw that episode..love that show...that and alton browns good eats are
my always in my cooking heart.

ive liked using powder milk in recipes it does help with thexture.

Altho the recipe is no cook you could cook elements of it...perhaps cooking
the gelatin with milk and vanilla and splenda over a double boiler?

oh ive also had success making cream type pies by cooking the egg and cream
or milk and splenda over a double bioler to make a custard then as it
cooling i whip egg whites and fold it in to raise/thicken it then once that
cooled i whip cream and fold that in and chill it in the fridge.

so far ive made french silk pie and cooconut cream pies and a lemon pie that
way and the results were delicious so much so my picky wife ate them...well
she liked the cocolnuts taste but not the bits of coconut..lol..she wont eat
german chocolate cake cause of the coconut either...heh

KROM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> krom > wrote:
> : for pumkin pie i use a extra egg and heavy cream and splenda..works
> : fine..taste the same with same texture.
>

> : you could try cream with extra cream cheese and splenda..since it s key
> lime
> : pie anyhoo...
>
> : KROM
>
> Ynfortunately no eggs as this is a no-cook recipe. also the recipes I
> looked at on lne called for lots of gelatine, which my recipe(which I hope
> to get on line wht America's test Kitchen posts it) cut back(they used
> some vanilla pudding as a thicken as well as a small amount of gelatine)
> I had thought of double skimmed milk powder + cream and splenda. Maybe
> more cream cheese, ending up with a kind of key lime cheesecake:-)
> Somehow using al heavy cream bothers my overweight heart:-)
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

xantham gum works well and to me is flavorless..im just not good on the
amount needed for things so somtimes its made things too thick or not
enough..lol.

almond and hazelnut flour work well but add a flavor to things..in chocolate
its great...key lime pie...prob not great.

KROM

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Nov 1, 7:33 am, "W. Baker" > wrote:
> krom > wrote:
>
> : for pumkin pie i use a extra egg and heavy cream and splenda..works
> : fine..taste the same with same texture.
>
> : you could try cream with extra cream cheese and splenda..since it s key
> lime
> : pie anyhoo...
>
> : KROM
>
> Ynfortunately no eggs as this is a no-cook recipe. also the recipes I
> looked at on lne called for lots of gelatine, which my recipe(which I hope
> to get on line wht America's test Kitchen posts it) cut back(they used
> some vanilla pudding as a thicken as well as a small amount of gelatine)
> I had thought of double skimmed milk powder + cream and splenda. Maybe
> more cream cheese, ending up with a kind of key lime cheesecake:-)
> Somehow using al heavy cream bothers my overweight heart:-)
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy, what about xanthum gum sprinkled in a milk/cream mixture to
thicken and splenda to sweeten? I've never used xanthum gum though,
so can't say how it works/tastes. Would almond flour act as a
thickener?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

what about using fat free half and half, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
>> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
>> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
>> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
>> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
>> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
>> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it
>> in
>> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
>> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
>>
>> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
>> for a different treat.
>>
>> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
>> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
>> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high,
>> just
>> a few feet:-)
>>
>> Wendy

> I would guess that recipe might need some serious tweaking. Something
> like whipped cream folded into the other ingredients, possibly? Splenda
> and heavy cream might be the best substitutes, but sweetened condensed
> milk is definitely a no-no for us. You could possibly use regular
> condensed milk (unsweetened) and add splenda to that. But then you would
> most likely need to tweak the amount of gelatin in it.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and i just thought about arrow root might that work as the thickener using
that, half and half fat free and splenda? Lee

--
Have a great day
"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Nov 1, 7:33 am, "W. Baker" > wrote:
> krom > wrote:
>
> : for pumkin pie i use a extra egg and heavy cream and splenda..works
> : fine..taste the same with same texture.
>
> : you could try cream with extra cream cheese and splenda..since it s key
> lime
> : pie anyhoo...
>
> : KROM
>
> Ynfortunately no eggs as this is a no-cook recipe. also the recipes I
> looked at on lne called for lots of gelatine, which my recipe(which I hope
> to get on line wht America's test Kitchen posts it) cut back(they used
> some vanilla pudding as a thicken as well as a small amount of gelatine)
> I had thought of double skimmed milk powder + cream and splenda. Maybe
> more cream cheese, ending up with a kind of key lime cheesecake:-)
> Somehow using al heavy cream bothers my overweight heart:-)
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy, what about xanthum gum sprinkled in a milk/cream mixture to
thicken and splenda to sweeten? I've never used xanthum gum though,
so can't say how it works/tastes. Would almond flour act as a
thickener?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Stormmmee" > wrote:

> and i just thought about arrow root might that work as the thickener using
> that, half and half fat free and splenda? Lee

Arrowroot is carby.

Why fat-free half and half? Nothing wrong with fat.

PP, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

didn't know about the arrowroot, the ff half and half has been processed and
seems to bind and fluff more like canned milk so i thought using it might
give a texture closer to the condensed milk, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>
>> and i just thought about arrow root might that work as the thickener
>> using
>> that, half and half fat free and splenda? Lee

> Arrowroot is carby.
>
> Why fat-free half and half? Nothing wrong with fat.
>
> PP, T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> didn't know about the arrowroot, the ff half and half has been processed
> and seems to bind and fluff more like canned milk so i thought using it
> might give a texture closer to the condensed milk, Lee

Here are the carb counts of a cup (8 fluid ounces) of the following,
according to the USDA database. Note: some milks are "protein-fortified",
and sometimes powdered milk is added for more "body" - this will alter the
carb counts, so be sure to check the label. Also, "cream" varies depending
upon the amount of butterfat and lactose.

Whole milk - 11.4 grams of carbohydrate
2 % milk - 11.7
1 % milk - 11.6
Fat-free (skim) milk - 11.9
Buttermilk - 11.7
Goat's milk - 10.9
Half and Half - 10.4
Light Cream - 7.1
Heavy Cream - 6.6

Evaporated milk (canned) - 25.3
Nonfat evaporated - 29.0
Sweetened condensed milk - 166 (not a typo)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

from reading this the ff half and half will probably higher than the regular
cream. the reason i even suggested it was is that it has more of a canned
milk consistency, but i see i need to really look at this more... Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> didn't know about the arrowroot, the ff half and half has been processed
>> and seems to bind and fluff more like canned milk so i thought using it
>> might give a texture closer to the condensed milk, Lee

> Here are the carb counts of a cup (8 fluid ounces) of the following,
> according to the USDA database. Note: some milks are "protein-fortified",
> and sometimes powdered milk is added for more "body" - this will alter the
> carb counts, so be sure to check the label. Also, "cream" varies depending
> upon the amount of butterfat and lactose.
>
> Whole milk - 11.4 grams of carbohydrate
> 2 % milk - 11.7
> 1 % milk - 11.6
> Fat-free (skim) milk - 11.9
> Buttermilk - 11.7
> Goat's milk - 10.9
> Half and Half - 10.4
> Light Cream - 7.1
> Heavy Cream - 6.6
>
> Evaporated milk (canned) - 25.3
> Nonfat evaporated - 29.0
> Sweetened condensed milk - 166 (not a typo)
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> didn't know about the arrowroot, the ff half and half has been processed and
> seems to bind and fluff more like canned milk so i thought using it might
> give a texture closer to the condensed milk, Lee

OK, but how much carb is there in it?

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we are out atm so nothing for dh to read to me. if we go shopping today
will get him to look. that list nick posted was a shocker. Lee still
learning

--
Have a wonderful day

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> didn't know about the arrowroot, the ff half and half has been processed
>> and
>> seems to bind and fluff more like canned milk so i thought using it might
>> give a texture closer to the condensed milk, Lee

> OK, but how much carb is there in it?
>
> PP

Member

Location: British Columbia, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Baker View Post
I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.

Wendy
This is a recipe I used few times and it worked well.Hope this helps.

Sugar-free, fat-free sweetened condensed milk

This version of sweetened condensed milk makes the equivalent of a 12-ounce can.

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1 tablespoon cold water

1 ¼ cups dry nonfat milk powder

½ cup water

½ cup Splenda

1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small dish. In a microwave-safe container, stir together milk powder and ½ cup water. Cover and microwave 45 seconds, or until hot but not boiling.

Stir in cornstarch slurry and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds longer, until thick. Stir in Splenda and vanilla thoroughly. Chill for a minimum of 2 hours before using.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> from reading this the ff half and half will probably higher than the regular
> cream. the reason i even suggested it was is that it has more of a canned
> milk consistency, but i see i need to really look at this more... Lee

I generally avoid "fat-free" or "reduced fat" or "low fat" products on
principle. They usually have added carbs, plus there's nothing wrong
with fat.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bibiana Bailey > wrote:
> W. Baker;1397933 Wrote:
> > I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> > and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can
> > of sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the
> > filling ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime
> > juice, cream cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some
> > sugar). Have
> > any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.

> This is a recipe I used few times and it worked well.Hope this helps.
>
> Sugar-free, fat-free sweetened condensed milk
>
> This version of sweetened condensed milk makes the equivalent of a
> 12-ounce can.
>
> 1 teaspoon cornstarch
>
> 1 tablespoon cold water
>
> 1 ¼ cups dry nonfat milk powder
>
> ½ cup water
>
> ½ cup Splenda
>
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>
> Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small dish. In a microwave-safe
> container, stir together milk powder and ½ cup water. Cover and
> microwave 45 seconds, or until hot but not boiling.
>
> Stir in cornstarch slurry and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds longer,
> until thick. Stir in Splenda and vanilla thoroughly. Chill for a
> minimum of 2 hours before using.

Cornstarch? Dry nonfat milk powder? Sugar-free is not necessarily
carb-free, eh?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Member

Location: British Columbia, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cramer View Post
Bibiana Bailey wrote:
W. Baker;1397933 Wrote:
[...]

Support Our Troops: AnyMarine.com You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
No, unfortunately it's not.....but I make this only once or twice a year for my son as a special treat so it's not that bad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee > wrote:
: so the real point then is making it as low carb as possible and knowing the
: carb count per serving so when offerred to a diabetic they can make the y/n
: decision based on that information...

: Lee

: --
: Have a wonderful day

That's the idea.. Some will be able to handle it as a special treat and
some not, and some may be willing to try and others not. Just the facts,
Ma'am.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, i am currently working on a dessert recipe that needs to be lo cal,
low fat and low carb... and i need to have all those facts, and oh yeah, it
needs to taste like a good dessert also. not asking much!!!

Lee. about half done creating the recipe

--
Have a wonderful day

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Stormmee > wrote:
> : so the real point then is making it as low carb as possible and knowing
> the
> : carb count per serving so when offerred to a diabetic they can make the
> y/n
> : decision based on that information...
>
> : Lee
>
> : --
> : Have a wonderful day
>
> That's the idea.. Some will be able to handle it as a special treat and
> some not, and some may be willing to try and others not. Just the facts,
> Ma'am.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee > wrote:
: thanks, i am currently working on a dessert recipe that needs to be lo cal,
: low fat and low carb... and i need to have all those facts, and oh yeah, it
: needs to taste like a good dessert also. not asking much!!!

: Lee. about half done creating the recipe

: --
Try pumpkin custard made from canned pumpkin, eggs, artificial sweetener,
spices, eggs or eggbeaters(to cut fat) adn baked without a crust. I make
this with a nut crust as umpkin pie for thansgiving, but make just teh
custard at other times of the year.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we make that regularily my mom is using almond flour or nuts for the crust
this year... Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Stormmee > wrote:
> : thanks, i am currently working on a dessert recipe that needs to be lo
> cal,
> : low fat and low carb... and i need to have all those facts, and oh yeah,
> it
> : needs to taste like a good dessert also. not asking much!!!
>
> : Lee. about half done creating the recipe
>
> : --
> Try pumpkin custard made from canned pumpkin, eggs, artificial sweetener,
> spices, eggs or eggbeaters(to cut fat) adn baked without a crust. I make
> this with a nut crust as umpkin pie for thansgiving, but make just teh
> custard at other times of the year.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee > wrote:
: we make that regularily my mom is using almond flour or nuts for the crust
: this year... Lee

: --
: Have a wonderful day

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: > : --
: > Try pumpkin custard made from canned pumpkin, eggs, artificial sweetener,
: > spices, eggs or eggbeaters(to cut fat) adn baked without a crust. I make
: > this with a nut crust as umpkin pie for thansgiving, but make just teh
: > custard at other times of the year.
: >
: > Wendy

I just process some walnuts adn add spleda to taste and press it into the
pie pan. Tastes good adn needs no other fat, jus eht natural walnut oil.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

will suggest this to her, she has walnut trees that are usually very
generous. Lee

--
Have a great day
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Stormmee > wrote:
> : we make that regularily my mom is using almond flour or nuts for the
> crust
> : this year... Lee
>
> : --
> : Have a wonderful day
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > : --
> : > Try pumpkin custard made from canned pumpkin, eggs, artificial
> sweetener,
> : > spices, eggs or eggbeaters(to cut fat) adn baked without a crust. I
> make
> : > this with a nut crust as umpkin pie for thansgiving, but make just teh
> : > custard at other times of the year.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> I just process some walnuts adn add spleda to taste and press it into the
> pie pan. Tastes good adn needs no other fat, jus eht natural walnut oil.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> what do you guys do for icecream?

I eat 1/2 cup servings of Ben & Jerry's full fat ice cream.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>>
>>> I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
>>> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
>>> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the
>>> filling
>>> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
>>> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar).
>>> Have
>>> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
>>> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it
>>> in
>>> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do
>>> bitter
>>> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
>>>
>>> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
>>> for a different treat.
>>>
>>> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
>>> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
>>> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high,
>>> just
>>> a few feet:-)
>>>

>> I use heavy cream and Splenda. I think what I did was look at the sugar
>> content on a can of condensed milk at the supermarket, and see what the
>> carb content was, and then worked backward, assuming that some of the
>> carbs were lactose in the milk.
>>

> If you have a low carb version of Key Lime pie, I would love to try it.
> It is a great favorite of my husband's.
> --
>
> Evelyn

Evaporated milk normally contains no added sugar; condensed milk
normally does. However, it has about the same amount of lactose,
so you should check if they gives a carbs level low enough for you.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fevaporatedmilk.html

I did a web search and found a few recipes; I haven't tried them.

<http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Key-Lime-Pie---Low-Carb-Version/Detail.aspx>

http://www.recipezaar.com/Low-Carb-Key-Lime-Pie-69545

<http://www.massrecipes.com/recipes/04/12/sugarfreelowcarbkeylimepi269394.html>

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art9627.asp