Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Kitchen Compost Bins

I asked this elsewhere but thought I would try it here as well. I have just
been told that composting is mandatory in San Francisco and it is also in
Seattle. Here, it is not mandatory yet but I suspect will be soon. Now
they are just asking us to do this.

Food scraps, peelings, spoiled food, etc. must go in a bio bag. This is an
easily compostable corn based bag. It is then put in our yard waste bin.
We are to purchase or in some way get a container to put in the kitchen to
hold the food.

I have a metal can designed for such purposes. It has two filters in the
lid. I am doing everything like they say. Keeping it clean, emptying it
daily, etc.

The problem? Fruit flies. Tons of them all over the bin.

I have read online to put a coffee filter in the lid of the bin between the
lid and the filter. I will have to buy some and try this. I have also read
that the flies might be laying eggs in the filters. So to prove or disprove
this, I put the lid in a zippered gallon bag. So far no flies in there.

Meanwhile I have been trapping the flies using bananas and zippered bags.
This seems to be the best type of trap I've found. But I don't want to keep
trapping them.

And for the next few days I am going back to putting the food down the sink,
or wrapped in the trash. I am not using the bin. I want to start fresh and
fruit fly free.

So my question is... Does anyone know of a way to keep the flies off of the
bin? They don't seem to actually be getting inside of it but they are going
in and out of the holes on the lid.

I think I may write to my waste collection company and ask them what to do
as well.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I asked this elsewhere but thought I would try it here as well. I have
>just been told that composting is mandatory in San Francisco and it is also
>in Seattle. Here, it is not mandatory yet but I suspect will be soon. Now
>they are just asking us to do this.
>
> Food scraps, peelings, spoiled food, etc. must go in a bio bag. This is
> an easily compostable corn based bag. It is then put in our yard waste
> bin. We are to purchase or in some way get a container to put in the
> kitchen to hold the food.
>
> I have a metal can designed for such purposes. It has two filters in the
> lid. I am doing everything like they say. Keeping it clean, emptying it
> daily, etc.
>
> The problem? Fruit flies. Tons of them all over the bin.
>
> I have read online to put a coffee filter in the lid of the bin between
> the lid and the filter. I will have to buy some and try this. I have
> also read that the flies might be laying eggs in the filters. So to prove
> or disprove this, I put the lid in a zippered gallon bag. So far no flies
> in there.
>
> Meanwhile I have been trapping the flies using bananas and zippered bags.
> This seems to be the best type of trap I've found. But I don't want to
> keep trapping them.
>
> And for the next few days I am going back to putting the food down the
> sink, or wrapped in the trash. I am not using the bin. I want to start
> fresh and fruit fly free.
>
> So my question is... Does anyone know of a way to keep the flies off of
> the bin? They don't seem to actually be getting inside of it but they are
> going in and out of the holes on the lid.
>
> I think I may write to my waste collection company and ask them what to do
> as well.

Set out a small bowl with about a half cup of apple cider vinegar and a few
drops of liquid dishwashing soap in it in an inconspicuous place in the
room. You would be surprised how many of them are in your house, if you have
houseplants etc. Someone said that on another group, and it really works.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 26, 7:29*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I asked this elsewhere but thought I would try it here as well. *I have just
> been told that composting is mandatory in San Francisco and it is also in
> Seattle. *Here, it is not mandatory yet but I suspect will be soon. *Now
> they are just asking us to do this.
>
> Food scraps, peelings, spoiled food, etc. must go in a bio bag. *This is an
> easily compostable corn based bag. *It is then put in our yard waste bin.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I asked this elsewhere but thought I would try it here as well. I have
>>just been told that composting is mandatory in San Francisco and it is
>>also in Seattle. Here, it is not mandatory yet but I suspect will be
>>soon. Now they are just asking us to do this.
>>
>> Food scraps, peelings, spoiled food, etc. must go in a bio bag. This is
>> an easily compostable corn based bag. It is then put in our yard waste
>> bin. We are to purchase or in some way get a container to put in the
>> kitchen to hold the food.
>>
>> I have a metal can designed for such purposes. It has two filters in the
>> lid. I am doing everything like they say. Keeping it clean, emptying it
>> daily, etc.
>>
>> The problem? Fruit flies. Tons of them all over the bin.
>>
>> I have read online to put a coffee filter in the lid of the bin between
>> the lid and the filter. I will have to buy some and try this. I have
>> also read that the flies might be laying eggs in the filters. So to
>> prove or disprove this, I put the lid in a zippered gallon bag. So far
>> no flies in there.
>>
>> Meanwhile I have been trapping the flies using bananas and zippered bags.
>> This seems to be the best type of trap I've found. But I don't want to
>> keep trapping them.
>>
>> And for the next few days I am going back to putting the food down the
>> sink, or wrapped in the trash. I am not using the bin. I want to start
>> fresh and fruit fly free.
>>
>> So my question is... Does anyone know of a way to keep the flies off of
>> the bin? They don't seem to actually be getting inside of it but they
>> are going in and out of the holes on the lid.
>>
>> I think I may write to my waste collection company and ask them what to
>> do as well.

> Set out a small bowl with about a half cup of apple cider vinegar and a
> few drops of liquid dishwashing soap in it in an inconspicuous place in
> the room. You would be surprised how many of them are in your house, if
> you have houseplants etc. Someone said that on another group, and it
> really works.

That didn't work at all. I tried it many times. The rim of the bowl would
be covered but only maybe one or two ventured in.

For me the banana in the bag works the best. I just check it every couple
of hours, zip the bag and smash the bugs. You have to remember to replace
the banana and bag daily because they breed very quickly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Oct 26, 7:29 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I asked this elsewhere but thought I would try it here as well. I have
> just
> been told that composting is mandatory in San Francisco and it is also in
> Seattle. Here, it is not mandatory yet but I suspect will be soon. Now
> they are just asking us to do this.
>
> Food scraps, peelings, spoiled food, etc. must go in a bio bag. This is an
> easily compostable corn based bag. It is then put in our yard waste bin.
> We are to purchase or in some way get a container to put in the kitchen to
> hold the food.
>
> I have a metal can designed for such purposes. It has two filters in the
> lid. I am doing everything like they say. Keeping it clean, emptying it
> daily, etc.
>
> The problem? Fruit flies. Tons of them all over the bin.
>
> I have read online to put a coffee filter in the lid of the bin between
> the
> lid and the filter. I will have to buy some and try this. I have also read
> that the flies might be laying eggs in the filters. So to prove or
> disprove
> this, I put the lid in a zippered gallon bag. So far no flies in there.
>
> Meanwhile I have been trapping the flies using bananas and zippered bags.
> This seems to be the best type of trap I've found. But I don't want to
> keep
> trapping them.
>
> And for the next few days I am going back to putting the food down the
> sink,
> or wrapped in the trash. I am not using the bin. I want to start fresh and
> fruit fly free.
>
> So my question is... Does anyone know of a way to keep the flies off of
> the
> bin? They don't seem to actually be getting inside of it but they are
> going
> in and out of the holes on the lid.
>
> I think I may write to my waste collection company and ask them what to do
> as well.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Julie,

For the last year or so I've been keeping a small 1 gallon bin on my
kitchen counter and I put anything compostable in it (coffee grounds,
tea bags, vegetable and fruit peelings). I empty it into a homemade
compost bin in the back yard.

My kitchen bin has a flip top lid with a removable bucket and it is
certainly doesn't seal off even a little. I had only a very few
instances of fruit fries indoors this summer when the weather was hot
and stuff like melon rinds would go in the bin. I do empty coffee
grounds into the bin daily, so maybe that did help. Since we use the
compost in the garden, we don't put spoiled food in it, and no bones
or meat scraps, dairy products, grease or oils. I don't know if some
of that is allowable in your bin and might attract more flies.

So, I doubt I've helped at all, but thought I would at least tell you
my experience, lol. Composting is smart thing to do and I expect we
will all have to deal with it at some point. I hope you find a good
solution!

We are supposed to put meat. We never have bones so don't know about that.
And no grease, although I suppose with meat and some foods there would be
some grease. The coffee grounds might help. Don't know since we never have
any.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>> Set out a small bowl with about a half cup of apple cider vinegar and a
>> few drops of liquid dishwashing soap in it in an inconspicuous place in
>> the room. You would be surprised how many of them are in your house, if
>> you have houseplants etc. Someone said that on another group, and it
>> really works.

> That didn't work at all. I tried it many times. The rim of the bowl
> would be covered but only maybe one or two ventured in.

You need to use a shallow saucer or bowl. It does work if you do it right.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Set out a small bowl with about a half cup of apple cider vinegar and a
>>> few drops of liquid dishwashing soap in it in an inconspicuous place in
>>> the room. You would be surprised how many of them are in your house, if
>>> you have houseplants etc. Someone said that on another group, and it
>>> really works.

>> That didn't work at all. I tried it many times. The rim of the bowl
>> would be covered but only maybe one or two ventured in.

> You need to use a shallow saucer or bowl. It does work if you do it right.

Hmmm... I don't remember the type of bowl I used. At any rate, I don't
need to know how to trap them since my traps that I use work very well. I
need to know how to keep the flies off of the bin.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Hmmm... I don't remember the type of bowl I used. At any rate, I don't
> need to know how to trap them since my traps that I use work very well. I
> need to know how to keep the flies off of the bin.

OK

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> I asked this elsewhere but thought I would try it here as well. I
>> have just been told that composting is mandatory in San Francisco and
>> it is also in Seattle. Here, it is not mandatory yet but I suspect
>> will be soon. Now they are just asking us to do this.
>>
>> Food scraps, peelings, spoiled food, etc. must go in a bio bag. This
>> is an easily compostable corn based bag. It is then put in our yard
>> waste bin. We are to purchase or in some way get a container to put in
>> the kitchen to hold the food.
>>
>> I have a metal can designed for such purposes. It has two filters in
>> the lid. I am doing everything like they say. Keeping it clean,
>> emptying it daily, etc.
>>
>> The problem? Fruit flies. Tons of them all over the bin.
>>
>> I have read online to put a coffee filter in the lid of the bin
>> between the lid and the filter. I will have to buy some and try
>> this. I have also read that the flies might be laying eggs in the
>> filters. So to prove or disprove this, I put the lid in a zippered
>> gallon bag. So far no flies in there.
>>
>> Meanwhile I have been trapping the flies using bananas and zippered
>> bags. This seems to be the best type of trap I've found. But I don't
>> want to keep trapping them.
>>
>> And for the next few days I am going back to putting the food down the
>> sink, or wrapped in the trash. I am not using the bin. I want to
>> start fresh and fruit fly free.
>>
>> So my question is... Does anyone know of a way to keep the flies off
>> of the bin? They don't seem to actually be getting inside of it but
>> they are going in and out of the holes on the lid.
>>
>> I think I may write to my waste collection company and ask them what
>> to do as well.

> Set out a small bowl with about a half cup of apple cider vinegar and a
> few drops of liquid dishwashing soap in it in an inconspicuous place in
> the room. You would be surprised how many of them are in your house, if
> you have houseplants etc. Someone said that on another group, and it
> really works.
>
> Cheri

yup, i have to vouch for this method, it really does work

or...... put the compost material bin outside?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> I asked this elsewhere but thought I would try it here as well. I have
>>> just been told that composting is mandatory in San Francisco and it is
>>> also in Seattle. Here, it is not mandatory yet but I suspect will be
>>> soon. Now they are just asking us to do this.
>>>
>>> Food scraps, peelings, spoiled food, etc. must go in a bio bag. This is
>>> an easily compostable corn based bag. It is then put in our yard waste
>>> bin. We are to purchase or in some way get a container to put in the
>>> kitchen to hold the food.
>>>
>>> I have a metal can designed for such purposes. It has two filters in
>>> the lid. I am doing everything like they say. Keeping it clean,
>>> emptying it daily, etc.
>>>
>>> The problem? Fruit flies. Tons of them all over the bin.
>>>
>>> I have read online to put a coffee filter in the lid of the bin between
>>> the lid and the filter. I will have to buy some and try this. I have
>>> also read that the flies might be laying eggs in the filters. So to
>>> prove or disprove this, I put the lid in a zippered gallon bag. So far
>>> no flies in there.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile I have been trapping the flies using bananas and zippered
>>> bags. This seems to be the best type of trap I've found. But I don't
>>> want to keep trapping them.
>>>
>>> And for the next few days I am going back to putting the food down the
>>> sink, or wrapped in the trash. I am not using the bin. I want to start
>>> fresh and fruit fly free.
>>>
>>> So my question is... Does anyone know of a way to keep the flies off of
>>> the bin? They don't seem to actually be getting inside of it but they
>>> are going in and out of the holes on the lid.
>>>
>>> I think I may write to my waste collection company and ask them what to
>>> do as well.

>> Set out a small bowl with about a half cup of apple cider vinegar and a
>> few drops of liquid dishwashing soap in it in an inconspicuous place in
>> the room. You would be surprised how many of them are in your house, if
>> you have houseplants etc. Someone said that on another group, and it
>> really works.
>>
>> Cheri

> yup, i have to vouch for this method, it really does work
>
> or...... put the compost material bin outside?

Well it didn't work at all when I tried it and I tried it several times.
The rotten banana in a bag did work though. Wonderfully!

I have solved the problem of the compost bin. Simply put a coffee filter in
between the filter and the lid. I read this on the Internet after much
searching.

Compost Brooklyn1 General Cooking 2 05-11-2016 06:38 PM
COMPOST!! (Not really off topic) John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 2 24-01-2016 09:25 PM
Compost - Bread? Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 18 05-05-2014 03:41 PM
Don't throw it in the trash or compost it....EAT IT ImStillMags General Cooking 6 11-08-2011 03:42 PM
Rockabilly Pork Bins Dane Prestley Barbecue 0 15-05-2011 10:31 AM