Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Turkey wing soup

This newsgroup has gone dead, dead, dead!

The turkey wing soup I made a couple of weeks ago turned out so incredibly
delicious I bought another humungous turkey wing and doing it again.

Loads of vegetables, no noodles. When I plan to serve it, I will boil a
few noodles for the other folks, but I am not having any.

BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......

Relying on my WASA sourdough crackers as my "bread" and I have to tell you I
am feeling better already. Eating lower carb and lower calorie is
agreeing with me.

Hope you are all well and happy.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> This newsgroup has gone dead, dead, dead!
>
> The turkey wing soup I made a couple of weeks ago turned out so incredibly
> delicious I bought another humungous turkey wing and doing it again.
>
> Loads of vegetables, no noodles. When I plan to serve it, I will boil a
> few noodles for the other folks, but I am not having any.
>
> BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......
>
> Relying on my WASA sourdough crackers as my "bread" and I have to tell you
> I am feeling better already. Eating lower carb and lower calorie is
> agreeing with me.

Yes, it's amazing the difference in how a person feels. I've been making a
lot of chicken soup lately, I really don't care for cooked carrots, so am
adding celery, onion, sometimes zucchini. Filling, and pretty LC, though
mine isn't necessarily low cal since I sometimes add some cream to the
finished product. I'll try the turkey wing too. I like to put half a pita in
the toaster oven and crisp it up occasionally for something to eat with the
soup.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>> This newsgroup has gone dead, dead, dead!
>>
>> The turkey wing soup I made a couple of weeks ago turned out so
>> incredibly delicious I bought another humungous turkey wing and doing it
>> again.
>>
>> Loads of vegetables, no noodles. When I plan to serve it, I will boil a
>> few noodles for the other folks, but I am not having any.
>>
>> BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......
>>
>> Relying on my WASA sourdough crackers as my "bread" and I have to tell
>> you I am feeling better already. Eating lower carb and lower calorie
>> is agreeing with me.

> Yes, it's amazing the difference in how a person feels. I've been making a
> lot of chicken soup lately, I really don't care for cooked carrots, so am
> adding celery, onion, sometimes zucchini. Filling, and pretty LC, though
> mine isn't necessarily low cal since I sometimes add some cream to the
> finished product. I'll try the turkey wing too. I like to put half a pita
> in the toaster oven and crisp it up occasionally for something to eat with
> the soup.
>
> Cheri

Hi Cheri,

I put in the following;

1 huge turkey wing
Water - about 1 gal and a half
Kosher Salt - tablespoon
Pepper
Bay leaves 2
pinches of each... Thyme, Dill, Parsley
Carrots - 4 (not really big ones)
Onion - 1 huge
Celery - almost one celery heart including leaves
One med size potato cut up (for flavor)
Parsnips - 2
Garlic cloves - 3
two Knorr Chicken Bouillion cubes

All veggies cut up into about 1/2 dice. The wing is whole, but when it is
thoroughly cooked I will take it out and separate the bones and skin to
toss, and chop the meat up and put it back in.

The smell is out of this world.

That and Amici Forever playing on the stereo is nice! :-)

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> This newsgroup has gone dead, dead, dead!
>>>
>>> The turkey wing soup I made a couple of weeks ago turned out so
>>> incredibly delicious I bought another humungous turkey wing and doing it
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Loads of vegetables, no noodles. When I plan to serve it, I will boil
>>> a few noodles for the other folks, but I am not having any.
>>>
>>> BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......
>>>
>>> Relying on my WASA sourdough crackers as my "bread" and I have to tell
>>> you I am feeling better already. Eating lower carb and lower calorie
>>> is agreeing with me.

>> Yes, it's amazing the difference in how a person feels. I've been making
>> a lot of chicken soup lately, I really don't care for cooked carrots, so
>> am adding celery, onion, sometimes zucchini. Filling, and pretty LC,
>> though mine isn't necessarily low cal since I sometimes add some cream to
>> the finished product. I'll try the turkey wing too. I like to put half a
>> pita in the toaster oven and crisp it up occasionally for something to
>> eat with the soup.
>>
>> Cheri

> Hi Cheri,
>
> I put in the following;
>
> 1 huge turkey wing
> Water - about 1 gal and a half
> Kosher Salt - tablespoon
> Pepper
> Bay leaves 2
> pinches of each... Thyme, Dill, Parsley
> Carrots - 4 (not really big ones)
> Onion - 1 huge
> Celery - almost one celery heart including leaves
> One med size potato cut up (for flavor)
> Parsnips - 2
> Garlic cloves - 3
> two Knorr Chicken Bouillion cubes
>
> All veggies cut up into about 1/2 dice. The wing is whole, but when it
> is thoroughly cooked I will take it out and separate the bones and skin to
> toss, and chop the meat up and put it back in.
>
> The smell is out of this world.
>
> That and Amici Forever playing on the stereo is nice! :-)
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

That sounds really good. Is there anything better than that smell? I love
it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, it's amazing the difference in how a person feels. I've been making
>>> a lot of chicken soup lately, I really don't care for cooked carrots, so
>>> am adding celery, onion, sometimes zucchini. Filling, and pretty LC,
>>> though mine isn't necessarily low cal since I sometimes add some cream
>>> to the finished product. I'll try the turkey wing too. I like to put
>>> half a pita in the toaster oven and crisp it up occasionally for
>>> something to eat with the soup.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Hi Cheri,
>>
>> I put in the following;
>>
>> 1 huge turkey wing
>> Water - about 1 gal and a half
>> Kosher Salt - tablespoon
>> Pepper
>> Bay leaves 2
>> pinches of each... Thyme, Dill, Parsley
>> Carrots - 4 (not really big ones)
>> Onion - 1 huge
>> Celery - almost one celery heart including leaves
>> One med size potato cut up (for flavor)
>> Parsnips - 2
>> Garlic cloves - 3
>> two Knorr Chicken Bouillion cubes
>>
>> All veggies cut up into about 1/2 dice. The wing is whole, but when it
>> is thoroughly cooked I will take it out and separate the bones and skin
>> to toss, and chop the meat up and put it back in.
>>
>> The smell is out of this world.
>>
>> That and Amici Forever playing on the stereo is nice! :-)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Evelyn
>>
>> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
>> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

> That sounds really good. Is there anything better than that smell? I love
> it.
>
> Cheri

Ah I can think of a couple as good :-)

The smell of a good tomato sauce simmering.... the smell of chinese food
cooking..... chicken roasting........ roast beef in the oven.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "Evelyn" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
[...]

My mother used to use veal bones in her chicken soup to "strengthen" it.
I find that the aadition of a good sized turkey wing adds a great deal of
body and flavor. In addition, the meat cut form the bones after the soup
is finished, along with teh chicken meat makes lovely emergency or quick
meal chcken salad. I often freeze this meat and take it out when
appropriate.

I also make a turkey carcasse soup after Thanksgiving or ther turkey
holiday, to which I often add a turkey wing. I put in the carcasse, any
skin and stuffing that remains, , plenty of celery, onions, carrots, and
green peppers as well as thyme, a few handfuls of beans, some kind of hot
pepers, but not too muchas well as a 28 oz can of tomatoes, plus water to
the desired amunt. I let this allcook for a while, but no where near as
long as for chicken soup, as the turkey carcasse gives up its ghost rather
quickly and, after adjusting for seasonings(salt and fresh ground pepper)
I freeze it in quart jars and have for the winter whenever I need a quick
meal that tastes warm and cmforting, with just a bit of a kick. It is a
pretty free-form soup and can be used as a clean out the refrigeator kind
of stuff.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> My mother used to use veal bones in her chicken soup to "strengthen" it.
> I find that the aadition of a good sized turkey wing adds a great deal of
> body and flavor. In addition, the meat cut form the bones after the soup
> is finished, along with teh chicken meat makes lovely emergency or quick
> meal chcken salad. I often freeze this meat and take it out when
> appropriate.
>
> I also make a turkey carcasse soup after Thanksgiving or ther turkey
> holiday, to which I often add a turkey wing. I put in the carcasse, any
> skin and stuffing that remains, , plenty of celery, onions, carrots, and
> green peppers as well as thyme, a few handfuls of beans, some kind of hot
> pepers, but not too muchas well as a 28 oz can of tomatoes, plus water to
> the desired amunt. I let this allcook for a while, but no where near as
> long as for chicken soup, as the turkey carcasse gives up its ghost rather
> quickly and, after adjusting for seasonings(salt and fresh ground pepper)
> I freeze it in quart jars and have for the winter whenever I need a quick
> meal that tastes warm and cmforting, with just a bit of a kick. It is a
> pretty free-form soup and can be used as a clean out the refrigeator kind
> of stuff.
>
> Wendy

Sounds good, sort of the same way I make mine. Just clean the fridge, a
carcass etc. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

am well just busy, and i was beginning to wonder if oe had screwed up, hope
you are well also, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> This newsgroup has gone dead, dead, dead!
>
> The turkey wing soup I made a couple of weeks ago turned out so incredibly
> delicious I bought another humungous turkey wing and doing it again.
>
> Loads of vegetables, no noodles. When I plan to serve it, I will boil a
> few noodles for the other folks, but I am not having any.
>
> BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......
>
> Relying on my WASA sourdough crackers as my "bread" and I have to tell you
> I am feeling better already. Eating lower carb and lower calorie is
> agreeing with me.
>
> Hope you are all well and happy.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> This newsgroup has gone dead, dead, dead!
>
> The turkey wing soup I made a couple of weeks ago turned out so
> incredibly delicious I bought another humungous turkey wing and doing it
> again.
>
> Loads of vegetables, no noodles. When I plan to serve it, I will boil
> a few noodles for the other folks, but I am not having any.
>
> BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......
>
> Relying on my WASA sourdough crackers as my "bread" and I have to tell
> you I am feeling better already. Eating lower carb and lower calorie
> is agreeing with me.
>
> Hope you are all well and happy.

Evelyn,

Was your turkey wing smoked? I've made soup using smoked turkey wings.
Have to watch the salt, but the smoky flavor is really nice.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:
> I use half a wrap to make a roast beast sandwich.

Is that anything like roast beef? What kind of beast have you roasted?
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 24, 1:26*pm, "W. Baker" > wrote:
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "Evelyn" > wrote in message

> : >
> : > This newsgroup has gone dead, dead, dead!
> : >
> : > The turkey wing soup I made a couple of weeks ago turned out so incredibly
> : > delicious I bought another humungous turkey wing and doing it again.
> : >
> : > Loads of vegetables, no noodles. * When I plan to serve it, I will boil a
> : > few noodles for the other folks, but I am not having any.
> : >
> : > BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......
> : >
> : > Relying on my WASA sourdough crackers as my "bread" and I have to tell you
> : > I am feeling better already. * *Eating lower carb and lower calorie is
> : > agreeing with me.
>
> : Yes, it's amazing the difference in how a person feels. I've been making a
> : lot of chicken soup lately, I really don't care for cooked carrots, so am
> : adding celery, onion, sometimes zucchini. Filling, and pretty LC, though
> : mine isn't necessarily low cal since I sometimes add some cream to the
> : finished product. I'll try the turkey wing too. I like to put half a pita in
> : the toaster oven and crisp it up occasionally for something to eat with the
> : soup.
>
> : Cheri
>
> My mother used to use veal bones in her chicken soup to "strengthen" it. *
> I find that the aadition of a good sized turkey wing adds a great deal of
> body and flavor. *In addition, the meat cut form the bones after the soup
> is finished, along with teh chicken meat *makes lovely emergency or quick
> meal chcken salad. *I often freeze this meat and take it out when
> appropriate. *
>
> I also make a turkey carcasse soup after Thanksgiving or ther turkey
> holiday, to which I often add a turkey wing. *I put in the carcasse, any
> skin and stuffing that remains, , plenty of celery, onions, carrots, and
> green peppers as well as thyme, a few handfuls of beans, some kind of hot
> pepers, but not too muchas well as a 28 oz can of tomatoes, plus water to
> the desired amunt. *I let this allcook for a while, but no where near as
> long as for chicken soup, as the turkey carcasse gives up its ghost rather
> quickly and, after adjusting for seasonings(salt and fresh ground pepper)
> I freeze it in quart jars and have for the winter whenever I need a quick
> meal that tastes warm and cmforting, with just a bit of a kick. *It is a
> pretty free-form soup and can be used as a clean out the refrigeator kind
> of stuff.
>
> Wendy

Clean out the crisper soup is what I call it :-). I roasted beef neck
bones this morning and then put them in the slow cooker all day. I
just strained the stock for tomorrow's soup and it smells yummy.
Tomorrow, I'll chop up what's in the fridge that won't keep much
longer, I know there's some yellow squash and zucchini, bok choy,
chilis, and bell pepper. Maybe I'll throw in some celery, onion, and
a carrot. I've still got tomatoes from the garden and some pre-
steamed, peeled fava beans in the freezer I can put in too. When it's
about done, I'll toss in a handful of fresh herbs and maybe some of my
spinach, which is coming in good.

I bought some "crackers" that are made mostly of various seeds and
spelt flour. If we don't break a tooth on them, they do provide
something to crunch on. Maybe I'll chop a couple up and sprinkle on
the soup to serve. Or maybe make some parmesan chips in a skillet and
sprinkle the soup with those.

My DH will be parked in front of the TV all day watching football and
he tends to munch on football Sundays, so this will give us both
something good to eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we call it adventure soup or adventure stew, depends on how much broth is in
there i can't identify... we also have adventure cassarole. Lee

--
Have a great day
"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Oct 24, 1:26 pm, "W. Baker" > wrote:
> [...]

longer, I know there's some yellow squash and zucchini, bok choy,
chilis, and bell pepper. Maybe I'll throw in some celery, onion, and
a carrot. I've still got tomatoes from the garden and some pre-
steamed, peeled fava beans in the freezer I can put in too. When it's
about done, I'll toss in a handful of fresh herbs and maybe some of my
spinach, which is coming in good.

I bought some "crackers" that are made mostly of various seeds and
spelt flour. If we don't break a tooth on them, they do provide
something to crunch on. Maybe I'll chop a couple up and sprinkle on
the soup to serve. Or maybe make some parmesan chips in a skillet and
sprinkle the soup with those.

My DH will be parked in front of the TV all day watching football and
he tends to munch on football Sundays, so this will give us both

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Oct 24, 1:26 pm, "W. Baker" > wrote:
> [...]

longer, I know there's some yellow squash and zucchini, bok choy,
chilis, and bell pepper. Maybe I'll throw in some celery, onion, and
a carrot. I've still got tomatoes from the garden and some pre-
steamed, peeled fava beans in the freezer I can put in too. When it's
about done, I'll toss in a handful of fresh herbs and maybe some of my
spinach, which is coming in good.

I bought some "crackers" that are made mostly of various seeds and
spelt flour. If we don't break a tooth on them, they do provide
something to crunch on. Maybe I'll chop a couple up and sprinkle on
the soup to serve. Or maybe make some parmesan chips in a skillet and
sprinkle the soup with those.

My DH will be parked in front of the TV all day watching football and
he tends to munch on football Sundays, so this will give us both

******************

Hi Ricavito

My husband will be in front of the TV watching football all day too :-(

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>>
>> This newsgroup has gone dead, dead, dead!
>>
>> The turkey wing soup I made a couple of weeks ago turned out so
>> incredibly delicious I bought another humungous turkey wing and doing it
>> again.
>>
>> Loads of vegetables, no noodles. When I plan to serve it, I will boil a
>> few noodles for the other folks, but I am not having any.
>>
>> BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......
>>
>> Relying on my WASA sourdough crackers as my "bread" and I have to tell
>> you I am feeling better already. Eating lower carb and lower calorie
>> is agreeing with me.
>>
>> Hope you are all well and happy.
>>

> Evelyn,
>
> Was your turkey wing smoked? I've made soup using smoked turkey wings.
> Have to watch the salt, but the smoky flavor is really nice.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

Hi Janet, nope, just a plain old fresh turkey wing. But the smoked one
sounds like a great idea. I might try that next time.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> Hi Ricavito
>
> My husband will be in front of the TV watching football all day too :-(

Mine is working, but he will be parked for the playoff game this evening if
not rained out again...go Yankees!!! If he was home, he would be parked for
the football games too though. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> Hi Ricavito
>>
>> My husband will be in front of the TV watching football all day too :-(

> Mine is working, but he will be parked for the playoff game this evening
> if not rained out again...go Yankees!!! If he was home, he would be
> parked for the football games too though. :-)
>
> Cheri

Go Yankees!!

I don't want to live with this man if the Yanks don't go to the World
Series.

DH was born and raised in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium. The majority of
his wardrobe has an intertwined NY on it. One entire room in our house
is decorated with pictures of players and the old, old stadium. It also
has a clock with a picture of him in his Yankee cap on the face. Oh,
yes! Let's not forget the velor throw on the bed that is a giant NY.

We have Dish Network (no cable here) for TV but had to get another dish
and service from DirecTV just so we could have MLB extra innings during
baseball season. Obviously that TV is in the same room as the Yankee
pictures.

My one-year old Toy Poodle is named Mickey Charles, for the late, great
Mickey Charles Mantle. The dog has a collar that is Yankee pinstripes
and has the NY logo and says NY Yankees.

The other day one of the daughters emailed me that she was running out
of Yankee stuff to buy him (that's how they gift him) and I mentioned
that he had seen a cap in a catalog that used Hebrew letters to spell
out "Yankees"

Whenever we go on a cruise people know him as "That Yankee Guy" after a
couple of days because of his wardrobe. He scores every game. He keeps
statistics on the team, the hitters and the pitchers. He bleeds pinstripes.

I also have the NY logo on earrings, which I shall wear tonight.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>> Hi Ricavito
>>>
>>> My husband will be in front of the TV watching football all day too :-(

>> Mine is working, but he will be parked for the playoff game this evening
>> if not rained out again...go Yankees!!! If he was home, he would be
>> parked for the football games too though. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> Go Yankees!!
>
> I don't want to live with this man if the Yanks don't go to the World
> Series.
>
> DH was born and raised in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium. The majority of
> his wardrobe has an intertwined NY on it. One entire room in our house is
> decorated with pictures of players and the old, old stadium. It also has a
> clock with a picture of him in his Yankee cap on the face. Oh, yes! Let's
> not forget the velor throw on the bed that is a giant NY.
>
> We have Dish Network (no cable here) for TV but had to get another dish
> and service from DirecTV just so we could have MLB extra innings during
> baseball season. Obviously that TV is in the same room as the Yankee
> pictures.
>
> My one-year old Toy Poodle is named Mickey Charles, for the late, great
> Mickey Charles Mantle. The dog has a collar that is Yankee pinstripes and
> has the NY logo and says NY Yankees.
>
> The other day one of the daughters emailed me that she was running out of
> Yankee stuff to buy him (that's how they gift him) and I mentioned that he
> had seen a cap in a catalog that used Hebrew letters to spell out
> "Yankees"

Sounds like mine with the Raiders stuff. He's loved the Yankees since he was
a small boy, but doesn't collect them, just the Raiders.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>> Hi Ricavito
>>>
>>> My husband will be in front of the TV watching football all day too :-(

>> Mine is working, but he will be parked for the playoff game this evening
>> if not rained out again...go Yankees!!! If he was home, he would be
>> parked for the football games too though. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> Go Yankees!!
>
> I don't want to live with this man if the Yanks don't go to the World
> Series.
>
> DH was born and raised in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium. The majority of
> his wardrobe has an intertwined NY on it. One entire room in our house is
> decorated with pictures of players and the old, old stadium. It also has a
> clock with a picture of him in his Yankee cap on the face. Oh, yes! Let's
> not forget the velor throw on the bed that is a giant NY.
>
> We have Dish Network (no cable here) for TV but had to get another dish
> and service from DirecTV just so we could have MLB extra innings during
> baseball season. Obviously that TV is in the same room as the Yankee
> pictures.
>
> My one-year old Toy Poodle is named Mickey Charles, for the late, great
> Mickey Charles Mantle. The dog has a collar that is Yankee pinstripes and
> has the NY logo and says NY Yankees.
>
> The other day one of the daughters emailed me that she was running out of
> Yankee stuff to buy him (that's how they gift him) and I mentioned that he
> had seen a cap in a catalog that used Hebrew letters to spell out
> "Yankees"
>
> Whenever we go on a cruise people know him as "That Yankee Guy" after a
> couple of days because of his wardrobe. He scores every game. He keeps
> statistics on the team, the hitters and the pitchers. He bleeds
> pinstripes.
>
> I also have the NY logo on earrings, which I shall wear tonight.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

LOL! My hubby grew up in Da Bronx. He is a Jets guy through and through.
There is no living with him if the Jets lose, and they are losing rather a
lot these days :-(

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:47:28 -0400, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......

Good luck on the diet, Evelyn! I always find it easier with soup - and
it's just so nice to have a bowl of something warm and comforting to
tuck into!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:47:28 -0400, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......

> Good luck on the diet, Evelyn! I always find it easier with soup - and
> it's just so nice to have a bowl of something warm and comforting to
> tuck into!

Thanks Nicky. I am trying hard. My sister is going for the bariatric
surgery route. I would like to not go that way myself, so I am sticking
with low(er) carbing and eating little.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> LOL! My hubby grew up in Da Bronx. He is a Jets guy through and
> through. There is no living with him if the Jets lose, and they are
> losing rather a lot these days :-(

We have a "mixed marriage" He is a Jets fan. I'm a Giants fan. Whenever
they play each other, one of us leaves the house.

We are both Yankees fans. As for hockey, he's a Rangers fan and this old
Jersey girl is a Devils fan. We aren't big on pro basketball, but he
loves college bball and both men's and women's. Both of us root for
Rutgers because CCNY doesn't have any real teams :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> Thanks Nicky. I am trying hard. My sister is going for the bariatric
> surgery route. I would like to not go that way myself, so I am
> sticking with low(er) carbing and eating little.

My cousin, who *was* a type 2 did the bariatric thing. She didn't lose a
ton of weight but she has lost enough to look really good. She's still
working on it.

She also was instantly cured of her diabetes. Her blood glucose numbers
are those of a normal person and she no longer takes any meds. It's just
over a year and she feels grand.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> LOL! My hubby grew up in Da Bronx. He is a Jets guy through and
> through. There is no living with him if the Jets lose, and they are losing
> rather a lot these days :-(

One of our hubbies is going to be upset today then. Here, the Raiders game
is blacked out, but I saw that the Jets were ahead 7-0.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> LOL! My hubby grew up in Da Bronx. He is a Jets guy through and
>> through. There is no living with him if the Jets lose, and they are
>> losing rather a lot these days :-(

> One of our hubbies is going to be upset today then. Here, the Raiders game
> is blacked out, but I saw that the Jets were ahead 7-0.
>
> Cheri

Oh he's so happy!
They are winning 21/0 right now!
He's going to be in a very good mood over that!

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> LOL! My hubby grew up in Da Bronx. He is a Jets guy through and
>> through. There is no living with him if the Jets lose, and they are
>> losing rather a lot these days :-(

> One of our hubbies is going to be upset today then. Here, the Raiders
> game is blacked out, but I saw that the Jets were ahead 7-0.

We don't get most of the games here, either. Mostly Houston Texans
(yuck) and Dallas Cowboys (yuckier) but there is this thing on Dish
Network called "NFL Red Zone" where you can get up to date scores and
see clips of the games in progress. The Jets have some kind of weird
uniforms on today. They look like the Steelers. Maybe the plane
carrying the uniforms didn't make it??????

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Evelyn wrote:
>
> > Thanks Nicky. I am trying hard. My sister is going for the bariatric
> > surgery route. I would like to not go that way myself, so I am
> > sticking with low(er) carbing and eating little.
> >

> My cousin, who *was* a type 2 did the bariatric thing. She didn't lose a
> ton of weight but she has lost enough to look really good. She's still
> working on it.
>
> She also was instantly cured of her diabetes. Her blood glucose numbers
> are those of a normal person and she no longer takes any meds. It's just
> over a year and she feels grand.

Nice idea, but there is no cure for diabetes. She's just treated it.
It's still there.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Evelyn wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks Nicky. I am trying hard. My sister is going for the
>> > bariatric
>> > surgery route. I would like to not go that way myself, so I am
>> > sticking with low(er) carbing and eating little.
>> >

>> My cousin, who *was* a type 2 did the bariatric thing. She didn't lose a
>> ton of weight but she has lost enough to look really good. She's still
>> working on it.
>>
>> She also was instantly cured of her diabetes. Her blood glucose numbers
>> are those of a normal person and she no longer takes any meds. It's just
>> over a year and she feels grand.

> Nice idea, but there is no cure for diabetes. She's just treated it.
> It's still there.
>
> PP

Oddly enough, anyone who has bariatric surgery gets amazing results in their
diabetes going into some kind of remission, more so than if they just simply
suddenly cut their caloric intake accordingly. So it isn't just that they
are eating less, it is something metabolic.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Evelyn wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Nicky. I am trying hard. My sister is going for the bariatric
>>> surgery route. I would like to not go that way myself, so I am
>>> sticking with low(er) carbing and eating little.
>>>

>> My cousin, who *was* a type 2 did the bariatric thing. She didn't lose a
>> ton of weight but she has lost enough to look really good. She's still
>> working on it.
>>
>> She also was instantly cured of her diabetes. Her blood glucose numbers
>> are those of a normal person and she no longer takes any meds. It's just
>> over a year and she feels grand.

> Nice idea, but there is no cure for diabetes. She's just treated it.
> It's still there.

She has no symptoms. Her blood glucose numbers have been normal for a
year. There is no way to know if it is still there. Her A1Cs are as
normal as mine.

There is a lot of authentic medical documentation that people who have
this surgery no longer exhibit symptoms of diabetes.

Since my cousin has no symptoms of diabetes and normal BG levels, we'll
say she is cured. You can say whatever you please.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:

>>> My cousin, who *was* a type 2 did the bariatric thing. She didn't lose a
>>> ton of weight but she has lost enough to look really good. She's still
>>> working on it.
>>>
>>> She also was instantly cured of her diabetes. Her blood glucose numbers
>>> are those of a normal person and she no longer takes any meds. It's just
>>> over a year and she feels grand.

>> Nice idea, but there is no cure for diabetes. She's just treated it.
>> It's still there.
>>
>> PP

> Oddly enough, anyone who has bariatric surgery gets amazing results in
> their diabetes going into some kind of remission, more so than if they
> just simply suddenly cut their caloric intake accordingly. So it isn't
> just that they are eating less, it is something metabolic.

My SIL lost over half of her body weight. She had pre-diabetes and no
longer does. But she still has to get tested.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 25, 11:23*am, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> > Cheri wrote:

> >> Mine is working, but he will be parked for the playoff game this evening
> >> if not rained out again...go Yankees!!! If he was home, he would be
> >> parked for the football games too though. :-)

> >> Cheri

> > Go Yankees!!

> > I don't want to live with this man if the Yanks don't go to the World
> > Series.

> > DH was born and raised in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium. The majority of
> > his wardrobe has an intertwined NY on it. One entire room in our house is
> > decorated with pictures of players and the old, old stadium. It also has a
> > clock with a picture of him in his Yankee cap on the face. Oh, yes! Let's
> > not forget the velor throw on the bed that is a giant NY.

> > We have Dish Network (no cable here) for TV but had to get another dish
> > and service from DirecTV just so we could have MLB extra innings during
> > baseball season. Obviously that TV is in the same room as the Yankee
> > pictures.

> > My one-year old Toy Poodle is named Mickey Charles, for the late, great
> > Mickey Charles Mantle. The dog has a collar that is Yankee pinstripes and
> > has the NY logo and says NY Yankees.

> > The other day one of the daughters emailed me that she was running out of
> > Yankee stuff to buy him (that's how they gift him) and I mentioned that he
> > had seen a cap in a catalog that used Hebrew letters to spell out
> > "Yankees"

> Sounds like mine with the Raiders stuff. He's loved the Yankees since he was
> a small boy, but doesn't collect them, just the Raiders.
>
> Cheri- Hide quoted text -

Sistah, my man follows the Raiders too, and he is a lifelong, die hard
Niner fan. The last few years I've gotten used to comforting him
after games, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Oct 25, 11:23 am, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> > Cheri wrote:

> >> Mine is working, but he will be parked for the playoff game this
> >> evening
> >> if not rained out again...go Yankees!!! If he was home, he would be
> >> parked for the football games too though. :-)

> >> Cheri

> > Go Yankees!!

> > I don't want to live with this man if the Yanks don't go to the World
> > Series.

> > DH was born and raised in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium. The majority of
> > his wardrobe has an intertwined NY on it. One entire room in our house
> > is
> > decorated with pictures of players and the old, old stadium. It also has
> > clock with a picture of him in his Yankee cap on the face. Oh, yes!
> > Let's
> > not forget the velor throw on the bed that is a giant NY.

> > We have Dish Network (no cable here) for TV but had to get another dish
> > and service from DirecTV just so we could have MLB extra innings during
> > baseball season. Obviously that TV is in the same room as the Yankee
> > pictures.

> > My one-year old Toy Poodle is named Mickey Charles, for the late, great
> > Mickey Charles Mantle. The dog has a collar that is Yankee pinstripes
> > and
> > has the NY logo and says NY Yankees.

> > The other day one of the daughters emailed me that she was running out
> > of
> > Yankee stuff to buy him (that's how they gift him) and I mentioned that
> > he
> > had seen a cap in a catalog that used Hebrew letters to spell out
> > "Yankees"

> Sounds like mine with the Raiders stuff. He's loved the Yankees since he
> was
> a small boy, but doesn't collect them, just the Raiders.
>
> Cheri- Hide quoted text -

Sistah, my man follows the Raiders too, and he is a lifelong, die hard
Niner fan. The last few years I've gotten used to comforting him
after games, lol.

***************

And celebrating when they win too? :-)

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 27, 4:22*pm, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

> On Oct 25, 11:23 am, "Cheri" > wrote:
>

> > "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> . ..

> > > Go Yankees!!

> > > I don't want to live with this man if the Yanks don't go to the World
> > > Series.

> > > DH was born and raised in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium. The majority of
> > > his wardrobe has an intertwined NY on it. One entire room in our house
> > > is
> > > decorated with pictures of players and the old, old stadium. It also has
> > > clock with a picture of him in his Yankee cap on the face. Oh, yes!
> > > Let's
> > > not forget the velor throw on the bed that is a giant NY.

> > > We have Dish Network (no cable here) for TV but had to get another dish
> > > and service from DirecTV just so we could have MLB extra innings during
> > > baseball season. Obviously that TV is in the same room as the Yankee
> > > pictures.

> > > My one-year old Toy Poodle is named Mickey Charles, for the late, great
> > > Mickey Charles Mantle. The dog has a collar that is Yankee pinstripes
> > > and
> > > has the NY logo and says NY Yankees.

> > > The other day one of the daughters emailed me that she was running out
> > > of
> > > Yankee stuff to buy him (that's how they gift him) and I mentioned that
> > > he
> > > had seen a cap in a catalog that used Hebrew letters to spell out
> > > "Yankees"

> > Sounds like mine with the Raiders stuff. He's loved the Yankees since he
> > was
> > a small boy, but doesn't collect them, just the Raiders.

> > Cheri- Hide quoted text -

> Sistah, my man follows the Raiders too, and he is a lifelong, die hard
> Niner fan. *The last few years I've gotten used to comforting him
> after games, lol.
>
> ***************
>
> And celebrating when they win too? * :-)
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
> heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8- Hide quoted text -

Oh yes, although in the recent there have been fewer of those
occasions but it's better this year. Bless his heart, he insists on
talking to me over the dinner table about player stats and how the
lineup might be changed and what plays might work, and I try hard to
appear interested and respond sensibly. It's a small thing to do for
someone I dearly love :-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Oct 27, 4:22 pm, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

> On Oct 25, 11:23 am, "Cheri" > wrote:
>

> > "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> . ..

> > > Go Yankees!!

> > > I don't want to live with this man if the Yanks don't go to the World
> > > Series.

> > > DH was born and raised in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium. The majority
> > > of
> > > his wardrobe has an intertwined NY on it. One entire room in our house
> > > is
> > > decorated with pictures of players and the old, old stadium. It also
> > > has
> > > clock with a picture of him in his Yankee cap on the face. Oh, yes!
> > > Let's
> > > not forget the velor throw on the bed that is a giant NY.

> > > We have Dish Network (no cable here) for TV but had to get another
> > > dish
> > > and service from DirecTV just so we could have MLB extra innings
> > > during
> > > baseball season. Obviously that TV is in the same room as the Yankee
> > > pictures.

> > > My one-year old Toy Poodle is named Mickey Charles, for the late,
> > > great
> > > Mickey Charles Mantle. The dog has a collar that is Yankee pinstripes
> > > and
> > > has the NY logo and says NY Yankees.

> > > The other day one of the daughters emailed me that she was running out
> > > of
> > > Yankee stuff to buy him (that's how they gift him) and I mentioned
> > > that
> > > he
> > > had seen a cap in a catalog that used Hebrew letters to spell out
> > > "Yankees"

> > Sounds like mine with the Raiders stuff. He's loved the Yankees since he
> > was
> > a small boy, but doesn't collect them, just the Raiders.

> > Cheri- Hide quoted text -

> Sistah, my man follows the Raiders too, and he is a lifelong, die hard
> Niner fan. The last few years I've gotten used to comforting him
> after games, lol.
>
> ***************
>
> And celebrating when they win too? :-)
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless
> heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8- Hide quoted
> text -

Oh yes, although in the recent there have been fewer of those
occasions but it's better this year. Bless his heart, he insists on
talking to me over the dinner table about player stats and how the
lineup might be changed and what plays might work, and I try hard to
appear interested and respond sensibly. It's a small thing to do for
someone I dearly love :-)

===========

LOL, I hear that! Every morning with the sports page, from the coach, to the
owner, to the players...winning strategy.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito wrote:

> Oh yes, although in the recent there have been fewer of those
> occasions but it's better this year. Bless his heart, he insists on
> talking to me over the dinner table about player stats and how the
> lineup might be changed and what plays might work, and I try hard to
> appear interested and respond sensibly. It's a small thing to do for
> someone I dearly love :-)

I have to hear mine babbling on with a play-by-play of the entire game.
I swear he memorizes every pitch. I have learned never to ask "who Won"
because I have to listen to 40 minutes of game until I get an answer.

If I'm still with him after all these years, I guess I dearly love him.