Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default yum cranberries!

my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but you
goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and hfcs.

So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
erythritol.

the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt flicker
my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those store
juices.

the rest of the blender i put in a tray in the freezer and made cranberry
sorbet..even my wife likes it keeps stealing spoonfulls from the
freezer..lol

dunno why i hadnt thought of this before.

i tried to make cooked one before using whole cranberries that wasnt very
good.

this was easy and i could see adding gelatin to make jelly .

KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but
> you goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and
> hfcs.
>
> So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
> with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
> erythritol.
>
> the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
> maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt
> flicker my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those
> store juices.[ . . . ]

Great idea, Krom! What are xylitol and erythritol?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but
> you goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and
> hfcs.
>
> So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
> with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
> erythritol.
>
> the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
> maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt
> flicker my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those
> store juices.
>
> the rest of the blender i put in a tray in the freezer and made cranberry
> sorbet..even my wife likes it keeps stealing spoonfulls from the
> freezer..lol
>
> dunno why i hadnt thought of this before.
>
> i tried to make cooked one before using whole cranberries that wasnt very
> good.
>
> this was easy and i could see adding gelatin to make jelly .
>
> KROM

What a great idea! I will try that.
Also for bladder issues, the herb Uva Ursi is reputed to help.
Buy the tincture, not the dry herb.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"krom" > wrote:

> my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but you
> goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and hfcs.
>
> So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
> with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
> erythritol.
>
> the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
> maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt flicker
> my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those store
> juices.
>
> the rest of the blender i put in a tray in the freezer and made cranberry
> sorbet..even my wife likes it keeps stealing spoonfulls from the
> freezer..lol
>
> dunno why i hadnt thought of this before.
>
> i tried to make cooked one before using whole cranberries that wasnt very
> good.
>
> this was easy and i could see adding gelatin to make jelly .
>
> KROM

Sounds great, and far better than the cranberry extract capsules I keep
around for similar reasons. And, even better, cranberries are coming
into season, so we should be able to get fresh ones soon.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but you
> goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and hfcs.
>
> So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
> with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
> erythritol.
>
> the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
> maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt flicker
> my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those store
> juices.
>
> the rest of the blender i put in a tray in the freezer and made cranberry
> sorbet..even my wife likes it keeps stealing spoonfulls from the
> freezer..lol
>
> dunno why i hadnt thought of this before.
>
> i tried to make cooked one before using whole cranberries that wasnt very
> good.
>
> this was easy and i could see adding gelatin to make jelly .
>
> KROM

Healthy Balance brand makes a low carb cranberry juice that seems to work.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sugar alcohols so be careful...lol

other day i put too much into my coffee...lets just say im clensed...hehehe

KROM

> Great idea, Krom! What are xylitol and erythritol?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i looked at that but its a blend of other juices too..i just wanted straight
cranberry...which has very little carbs and colories compared to the fiber
in it.

the entire bag was 100 calories and i drank and ate it for a couple days
with zero bg raise..in fact pre juice i was runnign high prob due to
infection..now im back to 80's and stable again..

but thats me..i cant say it will work for others.

KROM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but
>> you goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and
>> hfcs.
>>
>> So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
>> with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
>> erythritol.
>>
>> the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
>> maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt
>> flicker my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those
>> store juices.
>>
>> the rest of the blender i put in a tray in the freezer and made cranberry
>> sorbet..even my wife likes it keeps stealing spoonfulls from the
>> freezer..lol
>>
>> dunno why i hadnt thought of this before.
>>
>> i tried to make cooked one before using whole cranberries that wasnt very
>> good.
>>
>> this was easy and i could see adding gelatin to make jelly .
>>
>> KROM
>>

> Healthy Balance brand makes a low carb cranberry juice that seems to work.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

im going to try making jelly i can eat on toast..im trying to decide
method..gelatin...pectin or natural...

KROM

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "krom" > wrote:
>
>> my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but
>> you
>> goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and
>> hfcs.
>>
>> So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
>> with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
>> erythritol.
>>
>> the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
>> maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt
>> flicker
>> my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those store
>> juices.
>>
>> the rest of the blender i put in a tray in the freezer and made cranberry
>> sorbet..even my wife likes it keeps stealing spoonfulls from the
>> freezer..lol
>>
>> dunno why i hadnt thought of this before.
>>
>> i tried to make cooked one before using whole cranberries that wasnt very
>> good.
>>
>> this was easy and i could see adding gelatin to make jelly .
>>
>> KROM

> Sounds great, and far better than the cranberry extract capsules I keep
> around for similar reasons. And, even better, cranberries are coming
> into season, so we should be able to get fresh ones soon.
>
> --
> "[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
> This, apparently, upsets the fools."
> ---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom > wrote:
: im going to try making jelly i can eat on toast..im trying to decide
: method..gelatin...pectin or natural...

: KROM

My whole berry cranberry sauce that I make at Thanksgiving works well as
jam to eat on low carb toast. I follow the recipe onthe bag of
cranberries, substituting Splenda or whatever for the sugar and I add
whole cloves and some sticks of cinnamon which I remove before serving,
but keep in while the stuff is in the fridge for a few das before the
holiday. I also grate in the thin orange part of the rind of an orange.
Tasty stuff!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> krom > wrote:
> : im going to try making jelly i can eat on toast..im trying to decide
> : method..gelatin...pectin or natural...
>
> : KROM
>
> My whole berry cranberry sauce that I make at Thanksgiving works well as
> jam to eat on low carb toast. I follow the recipe onthe bag of
> cranberries, substituting Splenda or whatever for the sugar and I add
> whole cloves and some sticks of cinnamon which I remove before serving,
> but keep in while the stuff is in the fridge for a few das before the
> holiday. I also grate in the thin orange part of the rind of an orange.
> Tasty stuff!
>
> Wendy

Sounds delicious Wendy. I make something similar but I add a bit of
chopped, candied ginger to the pot when I am cooking it. Fresh ginger
might be just as good and no carbs.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ooh that does sound good!

KROM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> krom > wrote:
> : im going to try making jelly i can eat on toast..im trying to decide
> : method..gelatin...pectin or natural...
>
> : KROM
>
> My whole berry cranberry sauce that I make at Thanksgiving works well as
> jam to eat on low carb toast. I follow the recipe onthe bag of
> cranberries, substituting Splenda or whatever for the sugar and I add
> whole cloves and some sticks of cinnamon which I remove before serving,
> but keep in while the stuff is in the fridge for a few das before the
> holiday. I also grate in the thin orange part of the rind of an orange.
> Tasty stuff!
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but
> you goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and
> hfcs.
>
> So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
> with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
> erythritol.
>
> the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
> maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt
> flicker my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those
> store juices.
>
> the rest of the blender i put in a tray in the freezer and made cranberry
> sorbet..even my wife likes it keeps stealing spoonfulls from the
> freezer..lol
>
> dunno why i hadnt thought of this before.
>
> i tried to make cooked one before using whole cranberries that wasnt very
> good.
>
> this was easy and i could see adding gelatin to make jelly .
>
> KROM

I've found that Trader Joe's offers an unsweetened cranberry
juice; I don't remember seeing any unsweetened cranberry
juice elsewhere. Rather strong tasting - you may want to
add some water as well as your favorite artificial sweetener.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>i looked at that but its a blend of other juices too..i just wanted
>straight cranberry...which has very little carbs and colories compared to
>the fiber in it.
>
> the entire bag was 100 calories and i drank and ate it for a couple days
> with zero bg raise..in fact pre juice i was runnign high prob due to
> infection..now im back to 80's and stable again..
>
> but thats me..i cant say it will work for others.
>
> KROM
>
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> krom wrote:
>>> my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but
>>> you goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar
>>> and hfcs.
>>>
>>> So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a
>>> blender with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol
>>> and erythritol.
>>>
>>> the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
>>> maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt
>>> flicker my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then
>>> those store juices.
>>>
>>> the rest of the blender i put in a tray in the freezer and made
>>> cranberry sorbet..even my wife likes it keeps stealing spoonfulls from
>>> the freezer..lol
>>>
>>> dunno why i hadnt thought of this before.
>>>
>>> i tried to make cooked one before using whole cranberries that wasnt
>>> very good.
>>>
>>> this was easy and i could see adding gelatin to make jelly .
>>>
>>> KROM
>>>

>> Healthy Balance brand makes a low carb cranberry juice that seems to
>> work.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

The best I remember, the cranberry juice Trader Joe's offers is just
straight cranberry, so you may want to check if they have a store
close enough you can reach it. A gallon jug, if I remember correctly.
Naturally low carb, since cranberries grow without much in the way
of carbs.

Robert Miles

Freezing whole cranberries? Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 0 31-12-2009 04:28 AM
Is it cranberries? Jen[_1_] General Cooking 24 29-09-2007 04:09 AM
Spiced Cranberries Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-12-2005 09:37 PM
Cranberries! serene General Cooking 4 22-11-2005 11:51 PM
Cabernet Cranberries Margee Lee Recipes (moderated) 0 21-12-2004 10:48 PM