Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default yum cranberries!

my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but you
goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and hfcs.

So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
erythritol.

the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt flicker
my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those store
juices.

the rest of the blender i put in a tray in the freezer and made cranberry
sorbet..even my wife likes it keeps stealing spoonfulls from the
freezer..lol

dunno why i hadnt thought of this before.

i tried to make cooked one before using whole cranberries that wasnt very
good.

this was easy and i could see adding gelatin to make jelly .

KROM

Old 11-10-2009, 02:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" wrote:
my bladder hurt a bit so i normally use cranberry juice to fix it...but
you goto the "juice" isle and its all blends and cocktails with sugar and
hfcs.

So i bought a frozen bag of plain washed craberries put them in a blender
with water liquid splenda a splace lemon juice and a tsp xylitol and
erythritol.

the entire blender contained 130 calories and after the fiber is counted
maybe 12 net carbs..so i wasnt suprised when my 6 ounce glass didnt
flicker my meter but did fix my bladder and was better tasting then those
store juices.[ . . . ]

Great idea, Krom! What are xylitol and erythritol?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" wrote in message
[...]

What a great idea! I will try that.
Also for bladder issues, the herb Uva Ursi is reputed to help.
Buy the tincture, not the dry herb.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Old 11-10-2009, 03:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"krom" wrote:

[...]

Sounds great, and far better than the cranberry extract capsules I keep
around for similar reasons. And, even better, cranberries are coming
into season, so we should be able to get fresh ones soon.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
[...]

Healthy Balance brand makes a low carb cranberry juice that seems to work.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

sugar alcohols so be careful...lol

other day i put too much into my coffee...lets just say im clensed...hehehe

KROM

Great idea, Krom! What are xylitol and erythritol?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i looked at that but its a blend of other juices too..i just wanted straight
cranberry...which has very little carbs and colories compared to the fiber
in it.

the entire bag was 100 calories and i drank and ate it for a couple days
with zero bg raise..in fact pre juice i was runnign high prob due to
infection..now im back to 80's and stable again..

but thats me..i cant say it will work for others.

KROM

Old 13-10-2009, 10:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
: im going to try making jelly i can eat on toast..im trying to decide
: method..gelatin...pectin or natural...

: KROM

My whole berry cranberry sauce that I make at Thanksgiving works well as
jam to eat on low carb toast. I follow the recipe onthe bag of
cranberries, substituting Splenda or whatever for the sugar and I add
whole cloves and some sticks of cinnamon which I remove before serving,
but keep in while the stuff is in the fridge for a few das before the
holiday. I also grate in the thin orange part of the rind of an orange.
Tasty stuff!

Wendy
Old 14-10-2009, 01:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
krom wrote:
: im going to try making jelly i can eat on toast..im trying to decide
: method..gelatin...pectin or natural...

: KROM

My whole berry cranberry sauce that I make at Thanksgiving works well as
jam to eat on low carb toast. I follow the recipe onthe bag of
cranberries, substituting Splenda or whatever for the sugar and I add
whole cloves and some sticks of cinnamon which I remove before serving,
but keep in while the stuff is in the fridge for a few das before the
holiday. I also grate in the thin orange part of the rind of an orange.
Tasty stuff!

Wendy

Sounds delicious Wendy. I make something similar but I add a bit of
chopped, candied ginger to the pot when I am cooking it. Fresh ginger
might be just as good and no carbs.

Old 24-12-2009, 01:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" wrote in message
[...]

I've found that Trader Joe's offers an unsweetened cranberry
juice; I don't remember seeing any unsweetened cranberry
juice elsewhere. Rather strong tasting - you may want to
add some water as well as your favorite artificial sweetener.

Robert Miles

Old 24-12-2009, 01:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
[...]

The best I remember, the cranberry juice Trader Joe's offers is just
straight cranberry, so you may want to check if they have a store
close enough you can reach it. A gallon jug, if I remember correctly.
Naturally low carb, since cranberries grow without much in the way
of carbs.

Robert Miles

Freezing whole cranberries? Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 0 31-12-2009 04:28 AM
Is it cranberries? Jen[_1_] General Cooking 24 29-09-2007 04:09 AM
Spiced Cranberries Duckie Recipes 0 05-12-2005 09:37 PM
Cranberries! serene General Cooking 4 22-11-2005 11:51 PM
Cabernet Cranberries Margee Lee Recipes (moderated) 0 21-12-2004 10:48 PM