Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eggplant Parm recipe.....was Quick and dirty soup!

Nicky wrote:

> Wow that sounds rough. Especially if you like it... when the kids
> were little, my youngest and my nephew both had to steer clear of
> tomatoes, they both blistered from them - and the number of times the
> little devils raided the fridge for them! Forbidden fruit, I guess...

Nicky, my mom was telling me that my first summer (when I was from
about 11 months to 14 months old), I would eat raw tomatoes until I had
a rash line from my chin all the way down to my diaper line. But the
next summer, and from then on until just recently I wouldn't touch them
raw. I love them cooked, though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Quick and dirty soup!

I freeze my bread whole. As long as it doesn't get squished in the shopping
trolley it is easy to separate a slice when I need one. The kids' bread I
just keep in the fridge as that's gone in a week and mostly for toast as
they have bread rolls for school lunches which I freeze also - so no need
for the bread to be sandwich fresh. I used to just keep their bread in a
bread bin but since we moved to the sub tropics bread is mouldy within 3
days.

Evelyn wrote:
> "Cindi Marshall" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Angela's bread comes hermetically sealed. I can get it in 2 slice
>>> packages. I wish they would do regular bread that way. Would be
>>> perfect for me! The whole loaves which I also buy are usually good
>>> for a year or two after I get them. The slices are good for a few
>>> months at least. I keep them in a thick plastic lidded bin in the
>>> garage.

>> I wonder if you could get one of the foodsaver type things that are
>> always being advertised and seal up the bread slices in that?
>>
>> --

> Since we don't eat a lot of bread, what I do with a whole loaf, is to
> wrap two or four slices individually in press and seal wrap, then put
> all the little packages into a plastic bag in the freezer. I take
> only one little package out at a time. The separate wrapping
> prevents drying out or freezer burn, and I seldom need to throw out
> bread.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cindi Marshall wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
>
>> Wow that sounds rough. Especially if you like it... when the kids
>> were little, my youngest and my nephew both had to steer clear of
>> tomatoes, they both blistered from them - and the number of times the
>> little devils raided the fridge for them! Forbidden fruit, I guess...

> Nicky, my mom was telling me that my first summer (when I was from
> about 11 months to 14 months old), I would eat raw tomatoes until I
> had a rash line from my chin all the way down to my diaper line. But
> the next summer, and from then on until just recently I wouldn't
> touch them raw. I love them cooked, though.

Lol, my kids have always pinched raw tomatoes from the fridge since they
were able to open the fridge. Thanks for the memories it brought back
Babies covered in tomato flesh and juice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> I freeze my bread whole. As long as it doesn't get squished in the
> shopping trolley it is easy to separate a slice when I need one. The kids'
> bread I just keep in the fridge as that's gone in a week and mostly for
> toast as they have bread rolls for school lunches which I freeze also - so
> no need for the bread to be sandwich fresh. I used to just keep their
> bread in a bread bin but since we moved to the sub tropics bread is mouldy
> within 3 days.

We are just the two of us, so a loaf of bread lasts us forever.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> Since we don't eat a lot of bread, what I do with a whole loaf, is to
> wrap two or four slices individually in press and seal wrap, then put
> all the little packages into a plastic bag in the freezer. I take
> only one little package out at a time. The separate wrapping
> prevents drying out or freezer burn, and I seldom need to throw out
> bread.

That makes sense, too. It's my daughter, my mom and me all living
here, and we all eat the whole wheat bread instead of the white bread.
My mom and I are both t2 diabetics, but my daughter, OTOH, is
hypoglycemic. Go figure.

Cindi

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> Lol, my kids have always pinched raw tomatoes from the fridge since
> they were able to open the fridge. Thanks for the memories it brought
> back Babies covered in tomato flesh and juice.

*ROFL* That brought back memories for my mom. I also can't drink OJ in
any amount unless it is the low acid type that Tropicana makes now. It
would make me break out in raw patches that itched like the devil.

Cindi

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cindi Marshall" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Angela's bread comes hermetically sealed. I can get it in 2 slice
>> packages. I wish they would do regular bread that way. Would be
>> perfect for me! The whole loaves which I also buy are usually good
>> for a year or two after I get them. The slices are good for a few
>> months at least. I keep them in a thick plastic lidded bin in the
>> garage.

> I wonder if you could get one of the foodsaver type things that are
> always being advertised and seal up the bread slices in that?

Hmmm... I don't know how those work. But if they would keep bread at room
temp. for several months to a year that would work for me as well! I keep
buying loaves of bread and maybe eat 2 slices from the loaf. Often I don't
eat any.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Cindi Marshall" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Angela's bread comes hermetically sealed. I can get it in 2 slice
>>> packages. I wish they would do regular bread that way. Would be
>>> perfect for me! The whole loaves which I also buy are usually good
>>> for a year or two after I get them. The slices are good for a few
>>> months at least. I keep them in a thick plastic lidded bin in the
>>> garage.

>> I wonder if you could get one of the foodsaver type things that are
>> always being advertised and seal up the bread slices in that?
>>
>> --

> Since we don't eat a lot of bread, what I do with a whole loaf, is to wrap
> two or four slices individually in press and seal wrap, then put all the
> little packages into a plastic bag in the freezer. I take only one
> little package out at a time. The separate wrapping prevents drying out
> or freezer burn, and I seldom need to throw out bread.

Gluten free bread doesn't freeze well at all. It just crumbles when you
thaw it. Exception perhaps is the kind we can't have. The stuff with eggs
and dairy in it.

I can't stand bread that has been frozen so that's why I don't freeze mine.
I grew up eating frozen bread. Not that we ate a lot of it, because we
didn't. The texture just changes or something and I won't eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> I freeze my bread whole. As long as it doesn't get squished in the
>> shopping trolley it is easy to separate a slice when I need one. The
>> kids' bread I just keep in the fridge as that's gone in a week and
>> mostly for toast as they have bread rolls for school lunches which I
>> freeze also - so no need for the bread to be sandwich fresh. I used
>> to just keep their bread in a bread bin but since we moved to the
>> sub tropics bread is mouldy within 3 days.

> We are just the two of us, so a loaf of bread lasts us forever.

My bread lasts 3 weeks. That's a slice a day. I pop it from freezer to
toaster. Its so dense I have to toast it on the highest setting.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cindi Marshall wrote:
> Evelyn wrote:
>
>> Since we don't eat a lot of bread, what I do with a whole loaf, is to
>> wrap two or four slices individually in press and seal wrap, then put
>> all the little packages into a plastic bag in the freezer. I take
>> only one little package out at a time. The separate wrapping
>> prevents drying out or freezer burn, and I seldom need to throw out
>> bread.

> That makes sense, too. It's my daughter, my mom and me all living
> here, and we all eat the whole wheat bread instead of the white bread.
> My mom and I are both t2 diabetics, but my daughter, OTOH, is
> hypoglycemic. Go figure.
>
> Cindi

I was hypoglysemic for 23 years before type 2. A numbers of diabetics are
the same. Its a good warning system that type 2 is lurking. A good chance
for your daughter to prevent type 2. A good diet, remaining slim and some
exercise and she will probably never see type 2.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

do you make it or buy it, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> I freeze my bread whole. As long as it doesn't get squished in the
>>> shopping trolley it is easy to separate a slice when I need one. The
>>> kids' bread I just keep in the fridge as that's gone in a week and
>>> mostly for toast as they have bread rolls for school lunches which I
>>> freeze also - so no need for the bread to be sandwich fresh. I used
>>> to just keep their bread in a bread bin but since we moved to the
>>> sub tropics bread is mouldy within 3 days.

>> We are just the two of us, so a loaf of bread lasts us forever.

> My bread lasts 3 weeks. That's a slice a day. I pop it from freezer to
> toaster. Its so dense I have to toast it on the highest setting.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Definitely buy it Many years ago I tried making bread many times but was
unsuccessful.

I wanted more wholegrain and whole meal in the recipes but without a fair
amount of white flour they failed.

Stormmmee wrote:
> do you make it or buy it, Lee
>
>> Evelyn wrote:
>>>

>>> We are just the two of us, so a loaf of bread lasts us forever.

>> My bread lasts 3 weeks. That's a slice a day. I pop it from freezer
>> to toaster. Its so dense I have to toast it on the highest setting.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> Hypoglycemia is a precursor to type 2, until you run out of
> pancreatic cells to keep pushing your blood glucose back down after
> eating carby foods.
> Susan

Thank you for that information, Susan. Neither of my MDs told me that.

Cindi

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> I was hypoglysemic for 23 years before type 2. A numbers of diabetics
> are the same. Its a good warning system that type 2 is lurking. A
> good chance for your daughter to prevent type 2. A good diet,
> remaining slim and some exercise and she will probably never see type
> 2.

Thanks, Ozgirl. I'll tell my daughter that. Right now she checks her
fbs about 3 to 4 times a week and checks during the day if she starts
getting shaky or showing other signs of low blood sugar. Should
hypoglycemics check their bgl's during the day as many times as
diabetics?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cindi Marshall" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> I was hypoglysemic for 23 years before type 2. A numbers of diabetics
>> are the same. Its a good warning system that type 2 is lurking. A
>> good chance for your daughter to prevent type 2. A good diet,
>> remaining slim and some exercise and she will probably never see type
>> 2.

> Thanks, Ozgirl. I'll tell my daughter that. Right now she checks her
> fbs about 3 to 4 times a week and checks during the day if she starts
> getting shaky or showing other signs of low blood sugar. Should
> hypoglycemics check their bgl's during the day as many times as
> diabetics?

There is a diet that is supposedly helpful to hypoglycemics, in which high
carb foods are limited, and slow acting carbs are allowed. Not sure
exactly how it works, but I am sure a little research would help you find
it. High carb foods are supposed to OVER stimulate the insulin, which
causes the low blood sugar swings.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cindi Marshall wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> I was hypoglycaemic for 23 years before type 2. A numbers of diabetics
>> are the same. Its a good warning system that type 2 is lurking. A
>> good chance for your daughter to prevent type 2. A good diet,
>> remaining slim and some exercise and she will probably never see type
>> 2.

> Thanks, Ozgirl. I'll tell my daughter that. Right now she checks her
> fbs about 3 to 4 times a week and checks during the day if she starts
> getting shaky or showing other signs of low blood sugar. Should
> hypoglycemics check their bgl's during the day as many times as
> diabetics?

I don't think it is necessary to test. Mainly because the hypo feeling
happens because of a swift bg decrease rather than an actual low bg reading.
To avoid the drop she can eat small amounts but regularly throughout the
day. Put simply, even though she is not diabetic she does already have some
kind of glucose regulation malfunction. When she eats too many carbs,
especially the highly processed type, then her pancreas releases more
insulin than is necessary. After the carbs she ate are dealt with the
insulin continues to be there in her system and causes a rapid post meal
drop.

So she needs to find a type and amount of carb per meal/snack that doesn't
cause that extra rush of insulin. That can be a bit tricky but basically if
she ate about every two hours, something like say a cracker with peanut
butter or half an apple then she should be ok. Her mileage may vary of
course. As to main meals I found low carb at breakfast (e.g. eggs or meat or
fish) helped enormously, my worst hypo feelings were after breakfast. At
lunch and dinner she could be careful about things like bread, rice, potato
etc. A diabetic diet would be ok but not necessarily as strict as some of us
have to follow.

Little and often is the key phrase.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

> I don't think it is necessary to test. Mainly because the hypo
> feeling happens because of a swift bg decrease rather than an actual
> low bg reading. To avoid the drop she can eat small amounts but
> regularly throughout the day. Put simply, even though she is not
> diabetic she does already have some kind of glucose regulation
> malfunction. When she eats too many carbs, especially the highly
> processed type, then her pancreas releases more insulin than is
> necessary. After the carbs she ate are dealt with the insulin
> continues to be there in her system and causes a rapid post meal drop.
>
> So she needs to find a type and amount of carb per meal/snack that
> doesn't cause that extra rush of insulin. That can be a bit tricky
> but basically if she ate about every two hours, something like say a
> cracker with peanut butter or half an apple then she should be ok.
> Her mileage may vary of course. As to main meals I found low carb at
> breakfast (e.g. eggs or meat or fish) helped enormously, my worst
> hypo feelings were after breakfast. At lunch and dinner she could be
> careful about things like bread, rice, potato etc. A diabetic diet
> would be ok but not necessarily as strict as some of us have to
> follow.
>
> Little and often is the key phrase.

She does that most days anyways, she's more of a grazer than an actual
eater. Her problem is when she's with a guy, sometimes she forgets
because she doesn't want him to think she's a "pig" or something like
that because she's always noshing on something. When she's here, we
have wheat bread and brown rice, she doesn't even notice the difference
in the rice, and we have lots of fresh veggies for snacking in here.
Lately she has started eating the Special K snack bars, and I keep some
with me in case i start to dip and I'm not home.

Cindi

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cindi Marshall wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>
>> I don't think it is necessary to test. Mainly because the hypo
>> feeling happens because of a swift bg decrease rather than an actual
>> low bg reading. To avoid the drop she can eat small amounts but
>> regularly throughout the day. Put simply, even though she is not
>> diabetic she does already have some kind of glucose regulation
>> malfunction. When she eats too many carbs, especially the highly
>> processed type, then her pancreas releases more insulin than is
>> necessary. After the carbs she ate are dealt with the insulin
>> continues to be there in her system and causes a rapid post meal
>> drop.
>>
>> So she needs to find a type and amount of carb per meal/snack that
>> doesn't cause that extra rush of insulin. That can be a bit tricky
>> but basically if she ate about every two hours, something like say a
>> cracker with peanut butter or half an apple then she should be ok.
>> Her mileage may vary of course. As to main meals I found low carb at
>> breakfast (e.g. eggs or meat or fish) helped enormously, my worst
>> hypo feelings were after breakfast. At lunch and dinner she could be
>> careful about things like bread, rice, potato etc. A diabetic diet
>> would be ok but not necessarily as strict as some of us have to
>> follow.
>>
>> Little and often is the key phrase.

> She does that most days anyways, she's more of a grazer than an actual
> eater. Her problem is when she's with a guy, sometimes she forgets
> because she doesn't want him to think she's a "pig" or something like
> that because she's always noshing on something. When she's here, we
> have wheat bread and brown rice, she doesn't even notice the
> difference in the rice, and we have lots of fresh veggies for
> snacking in here. Lately she has started eating the Special K snack
> bars, and I keep some with me in case i start to dip and I'm not home.
>
> Cindi

Not so sure about Special K snack bars though. But any time she has a hypo
feeling after a meal or snack, look at that she ate at that meal. I was able
to small amounts of brown rice and wholegrain stuff - its more the amount
than the actual food for the most part. You have to eat just enough that
won't send the pancreas into overdrive. That is learned by trial and error.
It took me about a year to get my stuff together enough to prevent the
hypos. For the next 22 years it was second nature. A good healthy lifestyle
plus portion control of carb foods and she should be ok. If she is
overweight now is the time to lose some weight and start exercising as well.
All I knew was that hypoglycemia was a pre cursor to type 2 diabetes. If I
had known I could actually avoid it I would have. But all that was 33 years
ago, I can't blame the docs of the past.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Its day before shopping day and I was clearing out the fridge ready for
>> the big shop and realised I had almost no salad veggies left and no
>> protein. I had a few bits and pieces in the vegetable line and considered
>> what I could have for lunch today.
>>
>> So I gathered the bits and pieces together (carrot, onion, garlic, limp
>> celery, a zucchini and a bit of fresh basil). I sautéed the onion and
>> garlic in olive oil and in a saucepan put the onion/garlic, the veggies
>> chopped up, a can of diced tomatoes, some bottled V8 veggie juice and a
>> can of 4 bean mix.
>>
>> It has been simmering for about an hour and the smell alone is superb,
>> the test taste was similar to minestrone. Will be even better when I add
>> a bit of dry parmesan and FGBP! Can't wait. Looks like it might be my
>> dinner as well as I can only see sausages left in the freezer so the kids
>> will get that - the soup is not the kind they like.

> That's the best kind of soup! Angela doesn't really like it either but
> she will eat it.
>
> I am not looking forward to tomorrow night's dinner. Leftover pasta. I
> used to eat a lot of it and liked it. I don't know if it's just that the
> gluten free stuff tastes so much different or what. Or maybe because I
> can't have real cheese. I just don't want to eat it any more. Alas, it is
> one of Angela's favorite meals. I used a jarred sauce so there were 6
> servings. I guess when my husband isn't here I will have to start making
> my own sauce and in a small quantity so I can make less pasta.
>
> I have to start being careful what I buy at Costco. I bought a 2 pack of
> cooked chicken breast strips and a 3 pack of sliced turkey. Angela ate
> none of the chicken before it expired. I don't like it. And only one
> sandwich from the turkey. There are times when she grabs handfuls of
> meat, but this wasn't one of them. And I didn't eat any sandwiches. So
> it all got thrown out.
>
> I have used all of the meat in the fridge except for some pre-cooked
> bacon, bologna and the new turkey I bought.
>
> Now the big thing is to clean out the freezer. There's another package of
> pre-cooked chicken breast in there that I stuck in there rather than throw
> it out. I can't stand the stuff. For some reason they put sugar in it
> and when I eat it, that's all I taste. There's half a gluten free pizza.
> Can't get Angela to eat the other half. There's the giant package of
> uncooked chicken breasts. Some cooked hamburger, a few boxes of chicken
> nuggets and fish sticks and I'm not sure what all else. Angela keeps
> wanting ice cream but there is no room for it.

Have you tried telling Angela you will consider getting ice cream
if she eats enough of what's now in the freezer to make room
for it?

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>

>> I gave away my chest freezer when I moved interstate so only have a small
>> fridge and freezer. Anything that comes in a container or packet I take
>> out then I divide what I took out into meal sizes. If I had a pizza in a
>> box I would toss the box and cut the pizza into serving sizes and freeze
>> it. I freeze just about everything I buy in the meat line as soon as I
>> get home from the shops. I don't buy in bulk anymore like when I had 4
>> kids at home and a deep freeze but doing it the way I do it now works for
>> me. If I get 6 chops I put 3 in a freezer bag and 3 in another. That way
>> there is no waste.

> I think she likes the concept of pizza. I mean it's always being
> advertised on TV and such. And people talk about eating it. But when it
> comes right down to it, I don't think she really likes it. I hated the
> stuff as a kid. My parents used to complain that when we went out for
> pizza, they had to get my food from McDonalds. So to me, pizza must have
> been really vile because I hated the food at McDonalds, except for the
> fries. I did like those, but could never get as much of them as I wanted.
> If I did get them, they were rationed. We would get one portion (I think
> they came in one size in those days) and split it four ways.
>
> Only after I began to venture out and was able to try different kinds of
> pizza did I realize that I didn't necessarily hate it, although I still
> don't really like it. My parents only ever got sausage and black olives
> in those days. I can't stand greasy sausage and I don't like olives on a
> pizza. I actually don't like any vegetables or meat or anything other
> than cheese on a pizza. Unless it is a Taco pizza and I don't think
> that's really Italian.
>
> So perhaps she will never eat that other half of the pizza.
>
> As for the meat, I generally don't like dealing with it once it has been
> frozen. I always forget to take it out to defrost. I have tried to
> defrost it in the microwave but that never seems to work very well. The
> ground beef is okay once frozen, so long as I cook it ahead of time.
> Really only shaves a few minutes off of the cooking time though. Now I
> did like those pre-cooked patties I bought, but I haven't seen them since.
>
> I really must stop buying the big packs of meat though. Neither of us is
> a big meat eater. I should probably just make vegan/vegetarian meals at
> home and save the meat for when we dine out.

Could you try buying the big packs of meat only in unfrozen form, and
repackaging it into smaller packages before freezing it?

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>>> I gave away my chest freezer when I moved interstate so only have a
>>> small fridge and freezer. Anything that comes in a container or packet I
>>> take out then I divide what I took out into meal sizes. If I had a pizza
>>> in a box I would toss the box and cut the pizza into serving sizes and
>>> freeze it. I freeze just about everything I buy in the meat line as soon
>>> as I get home from the shops. I don't buy in bulk anymore like when I
>>> had 4 kids at home and a deep freeze but doing it the way I do it now
>>> works for me. If I get 6 chops I put 3 in a freezer bag and 3 in
>>> another. That way there is no waste.

>> I think she likes the concept of pizza. I mean it's always being
>> advertised on TV and such. And people talk about eating it. But when it
>> comes right down to it, I don't think she really likes it. I hated the
>> stuff as a kid. My parents used to complain that when we went out for
>> pizza, they had to get my food from McDonalds. So to me, pizza must have
>> been really vile because I hated the food at McDonalds, except for the
>> fries. I did like those, but could never get as much of them as I
>> wanted. If I did get them, they were rationed. We would get one portion
>> (I think they came in one size in those days) and split it four ways.
>>
>> Only after I began to venture out and was able to try different kinds of
>> pizza did I realize that I didn't necessarily hate it, although I still
>> don't really like it. My parents only ever got sausage and black olives
>> in those days. I can't stand greasy sausage and I don't like olives on a
>> pizza. I actually don't like any vegetables or meat or anything other
>> than cheese on a pizza. Unless it is a Taco pizza and I don't think
>> that's really Italian.
>>
>> So perhaps she will never eat that other half of the pizza.
>>
>> As for the meat, I generally don't like dealing with it once it has been
>> frozen. I always forget to take it out to defrost. I have tried to
>> defrost it in the microwave but that never seems to work very well. The
>> ground beef is okay once frozen, so long as I cook it ahead of time.
>> Really only shaves a few minutes off of the cooking time though. Now I
>> did like those pre-cooked patties I bought, but I haven't seen them
>> since.
>>
>> I really must stop buying the big packs of meat though. Neither of us is
>> a big meat eater. I should probably just make vegan/vegetarian meals at
>> home and save the meat for when we dine out.
>>>

> Could you try buying the big packs of meat only in unfrozen form, and
> repackaging it into smaller packages before freezing it?
>
> Robert Miles

I find it is a big money saver to do that. I shop at Sam's Club and I
usually spend some time repackaging everything into sizes we can use.
Much less waste that way!

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> I find it is a big money saver to do that. I shop at Sam's Club and I
> usually spend some time repackaging everything into sizes we can use. Much
> less waste that way!

I used to do that but found if I put it in the freezer, chances were it
wasn't going to get eaten. It would sit there for 2 or 3 years and
eventually I'd throw it out.

Angela once went through a phase where she liked chicken breast and rice for
lunch. I cooked a dozen breasts with just salt, pepper, parsley and a
little olive oil. At the time I could get 2 serving bags of cooked white
rice at Trader Joes. They no longer carry those. Only brown rice that is
nasty and Jasmine rice with (flax?) seeds in it. Also nasty. She ate most
of that chicken and then went off of it. She discovered canned chicken.
Now that's all she wants in the way of chicken at home. Fine by me because I
hate cooking meat.

I also used to make up several pounds of ground beef at a time for taco
salads when I ate them for lunch. I portioned it into single serve bags and
would nuke it in a large bowl, adding my salad ingredients. But then I had
to give up eating large salads and also lunch. So no more of that.

Now, most of the meat in my freezer is plain cooked ground beef. This was
not done by choice but because we could not eat it in time before it spoiled
in the fridge. I find it might save me a couple of minutes in the
preparation of a pasta dish. I reheat it in a large skillet then add the
red sauce. But used for other things I have to nuke it to be able to use
it. Mostly I prefer to cook it fresh because it really doesn't take much
time.

Right now I have three pounds of ground beef that needs to be cooked soon.
I plan to make sort of a minestrone soup with some of it.

I also have a bag in the freezer (somewhere) of strips of green pepper and
onion. I cut a bunch up to make an enchilada casserole and then realized I
had cut up waaaay too much. This was after my husband left and I hadn't
adjusted well to cooking for just the two of us. Then Angela pitched a fit
and refused to eat enchilada casserole. She wants only enchiladas and no
onions or peppers on them. So I will have to try to make another while
husband is home and some chicken enchiladas for her.

I have a bunch of stuff in my freezer now that I bought at Trader Joes.
Chicken taquitos, mini beef tacos and beef tamales. Amazingly enough we are
not allergic. Just haven't had a day yet where we could eat them. We've
been having too many times where we had to go out to eat for various
reasons. But now with no math tutor, no dance and no school, we can eat at
home more.

Now if I could just get my husband and Angela to dislike ice cream. Don't
think that's going to happen though. I have to keep those and the Safeway
brand strawberry frozen pops in the freezer at all times. They freak if the
supply goes too low. Thankfully I never developed a taste for frozen treats
except perhaps for on the hottest day of summer and then I'm happy with some
plain ice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

> husband is home and some chicken enchiladas for her.
>
> I have a bunch of stuff in my freezer now that I bought at Trader Joes.
> Chicken taquitos, mini beef tacos and beef tamales. Amazingly enough we
> are not allergic. Just haven't had a day yet where we could eat them.
> We've been having too many times where we had to go out to eat for various
> reasons. But now with no math tutor, no dance and no school, we can eat
> at home more.
>
> Now if I could just get my husband and Angela to dislike ice cream. Don't
> think that's going to happen though. I have to keep those and the Safeway
> brand strawberry frozen pops in the freezer at all times. They freak if
> the supply goes too low. Thankfully I never developed a taste for frozen
> treats except perhaps for on the hottest day of summer and then I'm happy

Julie most of the time I don't cook raw meat to freeze it, I freeze it raw,
then thaw it out to cook and serve it later. But when I make a roast, I
always will slice up the cooked remainder and freeze it in the gravy.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> Julie most of the time I don't cook raw meat to freeze it, I freeze it
> raw, then thaw it out to cook and serve it later. But when I make a
> roast, I always will slice up the cooked remainder and freeze it in the
> gravy.

If I don't cook it, it is guaranteed never to be eaten. I can never
remember to take it out to thaw and I don't like having to use the microwave
to defrost things.

quick/dirty beef stew notbob General Cooking 0 18-01-2013 05:12 AM
New Quick and Dirty Dish W. Baker Diabetic 6 12-01-2013 08:19 PM
Quick and dirty lunch Ozgirl Diabetic 0 11-05-2010 03:46 AM
Quick and dirty fish recipe. W. Baker Diabetic 13 04-03-2008 02:50 AM
Quick & Dirty Wild Rice Soup jmcquown General Cooking 1 11-10-2007 06:01 PM