Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Electric meat grinder question wrt moisture

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> if i were guessing it would be that you don't cook your burgers too hot,
> lots of people cook them at such a high temp the moisture is needed, i am
> thinking you will get one fine burger, Lee

[ . . . ]

I like my 'burgers charred blood rare, so I grill them 2 or 3" above the
lump charcoal. 25% fat is perfect.

Nick's Hamburgers

Adding a tablespoon or two of lard or olive oil per pound to ground sirloin
or round will replenish some of the fat, hold the 'burger together better
when yer cookin' it and make it juicier. 20% to 30% fat makes a nice
'burger for me.

Use coarsely ground meat (rather than finely ground) for moister burgers.
Grinding your own fresh meat is best. That way you know what's in it.

Lightly mix ground meat (with other ingredients, if any). Over-mixing
results in dense, heavy burgers.

Wet hands with a little water to keep the mixture from sticking when you
form your patties. Over-working the patties results in dense, heavy
burgers, too.

A two beer 'burger is about right for me.

Green chile 'burgers

Ingredients:

1-1/4 pounds ground beef [or pork, chicken or turkey]
1 clove garlic crushed and finely minced
1/8 tsp ground black or seasoned pepper
1 tsp ground chile powder
1/2 tsp salt

4 slices Monterey Jack cheese or 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend of cheeses

1 can (4 ounces) Ortega Diced Green Chiles, drained
4 large slices sweet onion
1 medium tomato, sliced
4 leaves Romaine or your favorite lettuce.

4 hamburger buns, split and toasted

Chunky salsa, homemade or good purchased salsa, like Las Palmas.

Preparation:

Mix ground meat with garlic, pepper, ground chile, and salt in a large
bowl. Shape into 4 flat patties. Preheat grill, then cook burgers about 4
inches from heat, turning when halfway done. Cook until very little or no
pink remains. Just before serving, place a slice of cheese or grated cheese
on each burger. Top each bun with a hamburger patty and cheese, green chile
peppers, an onion slice, tomato slice, and lettuce leaf. Serve burgers with
a dish of salsa on the side. Serves 4.

I use more garlic. I let the meat come to room temp before grilling and,
for me, grill closer to the coals for a shorter amount of time. With beef,
I like 'em nicely seared on the outside and blood rare in the middle.
Sometimes I'll add a couple of slices of crisp bacon at final assembly. I
like a nice sour pickle with it, too.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this sounds good to me except the blood part... a little more done and i am
there, Lee

--
Have a great day

Electric meat grinder Evelyn Diabetic 0 06-10-2009 10:23 PM
Electric meat grinder question wrt moisture Ozgirl Diabetic 0 06-10-2009 10:16 PM
Electric meat grinder Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 1 22-09-2009 02:45 PM
Electric meat grinder Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 0 21-09-2009 11:43 PM
electric mincer/grinder for meat torge conrad maguar General Cooking 7 12-12-2006 10:59 PM