Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How would I know if ground beef is bad?

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't have trouble throwing things out. It's just that it's a
>>> pain to get rid of food here. We can't just throw it out. It has
>>> to go in a bio bag, tied shut and then into the yard waste. If I
>>> could just have thrown the packages as is into the trash, I would
>>> have done it. But I can't.

>> I used to give my meat I wouldn't eat to my dog - they have cast iron
>> stomachs. I never keep minced/ground meat unfrozen (or other
>> "prepared" meats - like sausages, franks etc) in the fridge for more
>> that 2 days. I am not saying I fed my dog rotten meat, just meat I
>> wouldn't eat because I have a fear of eating meat kept in the fridge
>> too long.

> I don't have a dog. Just a very elderly cat who is a picky eater.

I had 3 dog owning neighbours. Someone was always happy to take stuff off my
hands

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I used to give my meat I wouldn't eat to my dog - they have cast iron
>>> stomachs. I never keep minced/ground meat unfrozen (or other
>>> "prepared" meats - like sausages, franks etc) in the fridge for more
>>> that 2 days. I am not saying I fed my dog rotten meat, just meat I
>>> wouldn't eat because I have a fear of eating meat kept in the fridge
>>> too long.

>> I don't have a dog. Just a very elderly cat who is a picky eater.

> I had 3 dog owning neighbours. Someone was always happy to take stuff off
> my hands

There are dogs around here. I hear them bark. I just don't know their
owners. My brother has a dog but he is on a special diet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "TaniO" > wrote in message
> thlink.net...
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 20:02:53 -0400, Ozgirl wrote
>> (in article >):
>>

>>> I had a shocking tummy bug when I was 15 and missed two of my year 10
>>> final
>>> exams. The last thing I had eaten was my future MIL's savoury mince and
>>> was convinced it was that - no one else got sick though I wouldn't
>>> touch
>>> mince cooked in that manner for years! I was ok with hamburgers and pies
>>> etc
>>> but not as a savoury mince.
>>>

>> When I was 15, in about 1950, my mother and aunt and I went on a short
>> vacation. I had my first lobster dinner and got the flu the same night.
>> was so sick that I couldn't touch lobster again until long after I was
>> married. On the plus side, it was the first Asian flu that was going
>> around
>> and I hope that it helps some with the new flu. I don't think I've ever
>> been
>> as sick again.
>>
>> TaniO

> They say that one of the flus that went around in the '50s will definitely
> help us with some immunity to this one. My stepdaughter and grandkids
> just got over the swine flu. They made it through OK.
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

My Granddaughter had it, her Mother put her in a room by herself and Mom was
the only caregiver and washed her hands as soon as she left the room. They
have a 2 year old newly adopted little girl and a 7 month old Foster
child so they had to be real careful. No one else in the Family got
it...Thank Goodness.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't have trouble throwing things out. It's just that it's a pain
>>> to get rid of food here. We can't just throw it out. It has to go
>>> in a bio bag, tied shut and then into the yard waste. If I could
>>> just have thrown the packages as is into the trash, I would have done
>>> it. But I can't.

>> I used to give my meat I wouldn't eat to my dog - they have cast iron
>> stomachs. I never keep minced/ground meat unfrozen (or other "prepared"
>> meats - like sausages, franks etc) in the fridge for more that 2 days. I
>> am not saying I fed my dog rotten meat, just meat I wouldn't eat because
>> I have a fear of eating meat kept in the fridge too long.

> I wish my dogs could eat that stuff. My two German Shepherds have
> sensitive stomachs and allergies. I have to feed them a special food
> based on brown rice, barley and bison meat. Beef gives them gas and
> loose bowels. These are my last dogs. No more when they die off.
> Too much work, though I really love them both.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

One of my Weimaraners has a sensitive stomach too, plus she is allergic to
corn and barley. I buy premium food for both...they eat better than I
do..LOL. We will have another dog after these two go over the bridge but it
will only be one and a small breed

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> I wish my dogs could eat that stuff. My two German Shepherds have
>> sensitive stomachs and allergies. I have to feed them a special food
>> based on brown rice, barley and bison meat. Beef gives them gas and
>> loose bowels. These are my last dogs. No more when they die off. Too
>> much work, though I really love them both.

> Our dog Sophie died recently. It's very hard, but I understand what you're
> saying...no more pets for all those reasons, plus it's too painful when
> they die.
>
> Cheri

We have gone through a few deaths with our pets, but we just don't like the
quietness in the house without a pet, so we will probably have one until we
die...My youngest Son and his wife do Dog Fostering and rescues and cat
adoptions, so if we left a pet behind they would be well taken care of. They
have three dogs of their own two fosters and 4 cats...no kids though

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> When I was about 18 (maybe 50 years ago) I bought some sausage meat made
>>> at a local butcher shop. It was home made, and really good. But a
>>> few hours after eating it, I really thought I was going to die. It was
>>> the absolute worst case of food poisoning. Shivers, sweats, vomiting
>>> the whole bit. I can't begin to tell you how awful it was. I am
>>> fussy about that stuff ever since..... and it was YEARS till I could
>>> ever eat Italian sausage again. Just looking at it used to make me ill.

>> Same thing happened to me years ago with a small coconut cream pie from
>> KFC. Damn, I was sick for a few days after the initial onslaught. I hate
>> KFC anyway.

> I had food poisoning as a kid. We assumed it was from salad. We dined
> out at a place in another city where we had never eaten before. My
> brother refused to eat salad and he didn't get sick. The salad was the
> only thing my parents and I ate that was in common and we were all sick
> for days.

We go to the chinese buffet from time to time. We went once with another
couple, and everybody ate the small cooked clams but my husband. He was
the ONLY one who didn't get diarrhea the next day. I avoid them now....
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message

> Thanks, Cheri. You're always so sweet. I don't know what's worse --
> the fact that she's gone, or watching my hubby trying not to cry, and
> failing miserably.
>
> Our little Pom was our "truck dog" and lived with us in the truck,
> sleeping in hubby's hat on the dashboard. He was a good sport about
> all the jokes -- this big guy walking this little, tiny dog while all
> the other guys had labs and "real" dogs. :-)

Yes, I so much understand, and I guess time is the only thing that helps. We
did donate her things to Animal Friends Connection, where they always need
pet things, and felt better about that. We had her cremated, put in a pretty
urn with her name on it, and she's on the mantle. Some people probably don't
understand that either, but with some things...our opinion is the only one
that matters. Your dog sounds like she had that same kind of connection with
your hubby, and loving that dog is truly a case of..."size doesn't matter."
:-) I hope you both feel better soon.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i used to try and explain it to people i thought were friends, now i use it
to determine who my real friends are. we have one cat *we have more than i
care to admit* that doesn't just love DH she is jealously IN LOVE whith him,
to the point that i am merely the substandard human who takes up space on
her bed with DH, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
>
>> Thanks, Cheri. You're always so sweet. I don't know what's worse --
>> the fact that she's gone, or watching my hubby trying not to cry, and
>> failing miserably.
>>
>> Our little Pom was our "truck dog" and lived with us in the truck,
>> sleeping in hubby's hat on the dashboard. He was a good sport about
>> all the jokes -- this big guy walking this little, tiny dog while all
>> the other guys had labs and "real" dogs. :-)

> Yes, I so much understand, and I guess time is the only thing that helps.
> We did donate her things to Animal Friends Connection, where they always
> need pet things, and felt better about that. We had her cremated, put in a
> pretty urn with her name on it, and she's on the mantle. Some people
> probably don't understand that either, but with some things...our opinion
> is the only one that matters. Your dog sounds like she had that same kind
> of connection with your hubby, and loving that dog is truly a case
> of..."size doesn't matter." :-) I hope you both feel better soon.
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i used to try and explain it to people i thought were friends, now i use it
>to determine who my real friends are. we have one cat *we have more than i
>care to admit* that doesn't just love DH she is jealously IN LOVE whith
>him, to the point that i am merely the substandard human who takes up space
>on her bed with DH, Lee

I understand that. Hopefully, your cat is with you for many years. Susan has
a funny story about her cat and her hubby. It always makes me laugh. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this one's name is Stormmee. she came to us on a dark and stormy night, it
was 4 years back in Nov, there were tornados in Indiana where people were
killed... we were having sheer winds, very odd for where we live... we had
just arrived home... having the last cig of the evening before going in...
we had decided to jail the cats just in case... at the door as DH was
opening the door we heard that scared kitten cry... DH got a flashlight,
crawled under the bushes and pulled her out. i Stuffed her in my bra to get
her warm. and told dh plans had changed we needed kmr and a bottle... dh
came from a dog household so had no clue what kmr was or why i stuffed the
kitten in my bra..

she weighed 9 ounces and he bottle fed her until we got her weaned. the vet
said she was born a couple a weeks before that and was healthy enough we
figure we startled the mom cat moving her. the date we figure she was born
on was about the same day we sent Miss Violette to the bridge..

This cat will absolutely go insane when she sees DH through a window to get
to him, and when he leaves and i stay here she runs to the window grumbles
and grouses as he is leaving, and then is so frusterated she will pick a
fight with another cat to get her agression out... it is really amusing but
not if i laugh out loud, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i used to try and explain it to people i thought were friends, now i use
>>it to determine who my real friends are. we have one cat *we have more
>>than i care to admit* that doesn't just love DH she is jealously IN LOVE
>>whith him, to the point that i am merely the substandard human who takes
>>up space on her bed with DH, Lee

> I understand that. Hopefully, your cat is with you for many years. Susan
> has a funny story about her cat and her hubby. It always makes me laugh.
> :-)
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:13:10 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I so much understand, and I guess time is the only thing that helps.

> This is so true. It's just requires too much time, doesn't it.
>
>> We did donate her things to Animal Friends Connection, where they always
>> need
>> pet things, and felt better about that. We had her cremated, put in a
>> pretty
>> urn with her name on it, and she's on the mantle. Some people probably
>> don't
>> understand that either, but with some things...our opinion is the only
>> one
>> that matters.

She's actually on the "mantel." Must be old age. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> this one's name is Stormmee. she came to us on a dark and stormy night, it
> was 4 years back in Nov, there were tornados in Indiana where people were
> killed... we were having sheer winds, very odd for where we live... we had
> just arrived home... having the last cig of the evening before going in...
> we had decided to jail the cats just in case... at the door as DH was
> opening the door we heard that scared kitten cry... DH got a flashlight,
> crawled under the bushes and pulled her out. i Stuffed her in my bra to
> get her warm. and told dh plans had changed we needed kmr and a bottle...
> dh came from a dog household so had no clue what kmr was or why i stuffed
> the kitten in my bra..
>
> she weighed 9 ounces and he bottle fed her until we got her weaned. the
> vet said she was born a couple a weeks before that and was healthy enough
> we figure we startled the mom cat moving her. the date we figure she was
> born on was about the same day we sent Miss Violette to the bridge..
>
> This cat will absolutely go insane when she sees DH through a window to
> get to him, and when he leaves and i stay here she runs to the window
> grumbles and grouses as he is leaving, and then is so frusterated she will
> pick a fight with another cat to get her agression out... it is really
> amusing but not if i laugh out loud, Lee
>
> --
> Have a wonderful day

One of my cats is similar to that. She is just TOTALLY people oriented.
One of the other cats has managed to get her to play ..... just a little.
But she is always with the people. On the bed, on a lap, and always looking
for affection.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee wrote:
> this one's name is Stormmee. she came to us on a dark and stormy
> night, it was 4 years back in Nov, there were tornados in Indiana
> where people were killed... we were having sheer winds, very odd for
> where we live... we had just arrived home... having the last cig of
> the evening before going in... we had decided to jail the cats just
> in case... at the door as DH was opening the door we heard that
> scared kitten cry... DH got a flashlight, crawled under the bushes
> and pulled her out. i Stuffed her in my bra to get her warm. and
> told dh plans had changed we needed kmr and a bottle... dh came from
> a dog household so had no clue what kmr was or why i stuffed the
> kitten in my bra..
> she weighed 9 ounces and he bottle fed her until we got her weaned.
> the vet said she was born a couple a weeks before that and was
> healthy enough we figure we startled the mom cat moving her. the
> date we figure she was born on was about the same day we sent Miss
> Violette to the bridge..

Wow, I fully believe Miss Violette came back to you!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

oh stormme is fine with the other cats when he is home, her best friend is
chester who we got for her because she was making the old cats insane...
they play nonstop... but if THE MAN leaves she is in a horrid
mood...especailly if i am still there, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> this one's name is Stormmee. she came to us on a dark and stormy night,
>> it was 4 years back in Nov, there were tornados in Indiana where people
>> were killed... we were having sheer winds, very odd for where we live...
>> we had just arrived home... having the last cig of the evening before
>> going in... we had decided to jail the cats just in case... at the door
>> as DH was opening the door we heard that scared kitten cry... DH got a
>> flashlight, crawled under the bushes and pulled her out. i Stuffed her
>> in my bra to get her warm. and told dh plans had changed we needed kmr
>> and a bottle... dh came from a dog household so had no clue what kmr was
>> or why i stuffed the kitten in my bra..
>>
>> she weighed 9 ounces and he bottle fed her until we got her weaned. the
>> vet said she was born a couple a weeks before that and was healthy enough
>> we figure we startled the mom cat moving her. the date we figure she was
>> born on was about the same day we sent Miss Violette to the bridge..
>>
>> This cat will absolutely go insane when she sees DH through a window to
>> get to him, and when he leaves and i stay here she runs to the window
>> grumbles and grouses as he is leaving, and then is so frusterated she
>> will pick a fight with another cat to get her agression out... it is
>> really amusing but not if i laugh out loud, Lee
>>
>> --
>> Have a wonderful day

> One of my cats is similar to that. She is just TOTALLY people oriented.
> One of the other cats has managed to get her to play ..... just a little.
> But she is always with the people. On the bed, on a lap, and always
> looking for affection.
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i think she sent stormmee to reward DH for finally accepting cats in the
house. until he met Miss Violette he didn't want any indoor cat and wasn't
thrille d i fed some outdoors... when i was feeding a couple outside she
showed up and sat at the edge of the patio and the others wouldn't let her
have food even if they were done, so DH started keeping food back for her...
after several weeks/months one day we were on the patio and he said sort of
just musing... now if we could have a cat that was that pretty and that well
mannered i wouldn't mind letting it in the house...

i had the sliding door open about six inches... I SWEAR she stood up walked
right up to DH wound around his legs twice and went inside to inspect the
acomodations... until that time neither of us had ever been able to touch
her...

our current newest kitty Barbi, i think is violette, looks totally different
but many of the same behavoirs and temperment, and even tinyer than
violette,

Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> this one's name is Stormmee. she came to us on a dark and stormy
>> night, it was 4 years back in Nov, there were tornados in Indiana
>> where people were killed... we were having sheer winds, very odd for
>> where we live... we had just arrived home... having the last cig of
>> the evening before going in... we had decided to jail the cats just
>> in case... at the door as DH was opening the door we heard that
>> scared kitten cry... DH got a flashlight, crawled under the bushes
>> and pulled her out. i Stuffed her in my bra to get her warm. and
>> told dh plans had changed we needed kmr and a bottle... dh came from
>> a dog household so had no clue what kmr was or why i stuffed the
>> kitten in my bra..
>> she weighed 9 ounces and he bottle fed her until we got her weaned.
>> the vet said she was born a couple a weeks before that and was
>> healthy enough we figure we startled the mom cat moving her. the
>> date we figure she was born on was about the same day we sent Miss
>> Violette to the bridge..

> Wow, I fully believe Miss Violette came back to you!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sep 24, 10:15*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I also had most of a bag of red potatoes that I bought at Costco. *Baby
> ones. *They were sprouting. *So I trimmed some and filled my crockpot with
> them. *Threw the rest away.

You my have experienced Solanine poisoning from the sprouted potatoes.
See
http://www.drgreene.com/21_1094.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley" > wrote in message
On Sep 24, 10:15 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I also had most of a bag of red potatoes that I bought at Costco. Baby
> ones. They were sprouting. So I trimmed some and filled my crockpot with
> them. Threw the rest away.

You my have experienced Solanine poisoning from the sprouted potatoes.
See
http://www.drgreene.com/21_1094.html

I don't think so. I didn't see any green on the potatoes and that AFAIK is
where the solanine is. But I'll look at your link.

Freezing Ground Beef Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 32 19-09-2015 09:15 PM
Ground beef BigD43 General Cooking 1 08-02-2008 11:49 PM
pound of ground beef cindy General Cooking 45 22-07-2007 02:10 PM
Ground beef Anny Middon General Cooking 10 15-03-2006 07:38 AM