Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How to make a smallish salad?

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> well duh, that makes sense... Lee, not even sure what i was
>> expecting... maybe i need a nap

> Lol. I keep a 4 litre container under the sink. All used cooking oils go
> into that until its full then out it goes in the normal rubbish bin.

We do that too. We usually use a coffee can. When the can is filled up,
we snap on the lid, and throw it away. One time we threw out the can full
of used oil, and a Bear came around, got into the garbage and he licked that
can SOOOOO clean, it was like brand new inside. Can you imagine eating a
whole can full of grease? Ever since then we call our grease disposal can
"The Bear Can" .....

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> well duh, that makes sense... Lee, not even sure what i was
>>> expecting... maybe i need a nap

>> Lol. I keep a 4 litre container under the sink. All used cooking
>> oils go into that until its full then out it goes in the normal
>> rubbish bin.

> We do that too. We usually use a coffee can. When the can is
> filled up, we snap on the lid, and throw it away. One time we threw
> out the can full of used oil, and a Bear came around, got into the
> garbage and he licked that can SOOOOO clean, it was like brand new
> inside. Can you imagine eating a whole can full of grease? Ever
> since then we call our grease disposal can "The Bear Can" .....

Lol, wonder how his liver handled it

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>>>
>>> Lol. I keep a 4 litre container under the sink. All used cooking
>>> oils go into that until its full then out it goes in the normal
>>> rubbish bin.

>> We do that too. We usually use a coffee can. When the can is
>> filled up, we snap on the lid, and throw it away. One time we threw
>> out the can full of used oil, and a Bear came around, got into the
>> garbage and he licked that can SOOOOO clean, it was like brand new
>> inside. Can you imagine eating a whole can full of grease? Ever
>> since then we call our grease disposal can "The Bear Can" .....

> Lol, wonder how his liver handled it

My next door neighbor said he spotted a huge pile of bear scat that day!

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> "Granby" > wrote:
>>
>>> U can't make a small salad like you can't make a small batch of chili.
>>>
>>> If you buy the already chopped veggies and keep them on hand, maybe but
>>> unless you want to make veggie soup or such with the leftovers, it just
>>> doesn't work. If you want the variety that is. My 2 cents worth.

>> Well, yes and no. I think it's hard to make *one* small salad, but
>> making a series of small salads can be accomplished by dipping into
>> one's stores of chopped/sliced/etc. ingredients each mealtime and
>> tossing them into a bowl.
>>
>> Personally, I've become enamored of the "leafless" salad -- all the
>> goodies but no lettuce. I particularly like chopped tomato, avocado,
>> red/orange/yellow pepper, and cucumber with a homemade vinaigrette.

> That's the problem for me. I can have salad only once or twice a week and
> I want a variety of things in there.

Would it be practical to eat out at a place with a salad bar for such times
so that you can leave any leftovers for their other customers and still get
a good variety?

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Well, yes and no. I think it's hard to make *one* small salad, but
>>> making a series of small salads can be accomplished by dipping into
>>> one's stores of chopped/sliced/etc. ingredients each mealtime and
>>> tossing them into a bowl.
>>>
>>> Personally, I've become enamored of the "leafless" salad -- all the
>>> goodies but no lettuce. I particularly like chopped tomato, avocado,
>>> red/orange/yellow pepper, and cucumber with a homemade vinaigrette.

>> That's the problem for me. I can have salad only once or twice a week
>> and I want a variety of things in there.

> Would it be practical to eat out at a place with a salad bar for such
> times
> so that you can leave any leftovers for their other customers and still
> get
> a good variety?

There's only one store here with a salad bar. No restaurants. I've decided
it's too expensive to do that except on rare occasions. I do use it when I
make a pasta salad.