Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What do you want to eat/drink when it's hot?

We are having uncharacteristically hot weather here and it would appear that
it's going to last for an extended period of time. Just when I was trying
to cut back on dining out. But for the next few days we will be dining out
some and trying to find other places that have AC because the house is too
miserable.

I don't normally eat it or buy it but since I made tacos tonight, I bought a
bag of shredded iceberg lettuce. Angela and I were fighting over the
remains of it because we both wanted it. I don't know why really.

We've also been having a lot of ice water. I've been putting lemon in mine.
I'm going to buy a bag of ice tomorrow because I can't make enough to keep
up with the demand.

I've never liked ice cream and don't normally like frozen things. But the
ice just sounds good.

What do you like to eat/drink in hot weather.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I drink "Republic of Tea" Ice Tea...It's really refreshing. They have all
flavors and it is a little expensive so I just buy the bottles and save them
to drink when I feel like a cool treat. I like to make Ice Tea with Lady
Grey Tea too. I also drink lots of ice water. I also like soda. I like to
make cold salads...Like Fried Chicken or steak salad with leftovers. Tuna
Salad in a scooped out tomato is good for lunch.Tonight we had cold chicken
and Wayne had Mac Salad(I had a Tablespoon of it) and I had a nice green
salad. Luckily we have AZ...it is a must in AZ. An AC or Swamp Box. I make
strawberries with Splenda and serve them with whipped cream...or when other
berries are in season I will mix them. I heard Crystal Light Popsicles are
good...haven't tried that yet. It sure will be nice when the hot weather
gets a bit cooler. We're in for the hundreds again next week and no sign of
rain....the monsoons have seemed to go into hiding
Jacquie
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We are having uncharacteristically hot weather here and it would appear
> that it's going to last for an extended period of time. Just when I was
> trying to cut back on dining out. But for the next few days we will be
> dining out some and trying to find other places that have AC because the
> house is too miserable.
>
> I don't normally eat it or buy it but since I made tacos tonight, I bought
> a bag of shredded iceberg lettuce. Angela and I were fighting over the
> remains of it because we both wanted it. I don't know why really.
>
> We've also been having a lot of ice water. I've been putting lemon in
> mine. I'm going to buy a bag of ice tomorrow because I can't make enough
> to keep up with the demand.
>
> I've never liked ice cream and don't normally like frozen things. But the
> ice just sounds good.
>
> What do you like to eat/drink in hot weather.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I drink "Republic of Tea" Ice Tea...It's really refreshing. They have all
>flavors and it is a little expensive so I just buy the bottles and save
>them to drink when I feel like a cool treat. I like to make Ice Tea with
>Lady Grey Tea too. I also drink lots of ice water. I also like soda. I like
>to make cold salads...Like Fried Chicken or steak salad with leftovers.
>Tuna Salad in a scooped out tomato is good for lunch.Tonight we had cold
>chicken and Wayne had Mac Salad(I had a Tablespoon of it) and I had a nice
>green salad. Luckily we have AZ...it is a must in AZ. An AC or Swamp Box. I
>make strawberries with Splenda and serve them with whipped cream...or when
>other berries are in season I will mix them. I heard Crystal Light
>Popsicles are good...haven't tried that yet. It sure will be nice when the
>hot weather gets a bit cooler. We're in for the hundreds again next week
>and no sign of rain....the monsoons have seemed to go into hiding

No rain here either.

I had some bottled ice tea, but I can only drink the unsweetened kind.
Can't stand sweet tea. It's hard to find and expensive!

I was going to make a pasta salad, but seeing as how it's Angela's real
birthday, I'm just going to take her out to eat. Maybe we'll have the pasta
salad the next day. I already bought all of the ingredients.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> We are having uncharacteristically hot weather here and it would
> appear that it's going to last for an extended period of time. Just
> when I was trying to cut back on dining out. But for the next few
> days we will be dining out some and trying to find other places that
> have AC because the house is too miserable.
>
> I don't normally eat it or buy it but since I made tacos tonight, I
> bought a bag of shredded iceberg lettuce. Angela and I were fighting
> over the remains of it because we both wanted it. I don't know why
> really.
> We've also been having a lot of ice water. I've been putting lemon
> in mine. I'm going to buy a bag of ice tomorrow because I can't make
> enough to keep up with the demand.
>
> I've never liked ice cream and don't normally like frozen things. But the
> ice just sounds good.
>
> What do you like to eat/drink in hot weather.

At home I always have cold water in the fridge. I fill 1 litre bottles and
semi freeze them then put them back down in the fridge part. I also like
icy cold cans of Pepsi Max (Pepsi 1 to you I believe).

If out driving I like nothing better than pulling into Maccas drive through
and getting a diet coke. It has a goodly bit of ice in it and the machine
diet coke somehow has a dry taste rather than a sweet one which I really
like.

As to food, its salad all year round in my house. Large one in summer, small
one accompanying cooked veggies in winter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> We are having uncharacteristically hot weather here and it would
>> appear that it's going to last for an extended period of time. Just
>> when I was trying to cut back on dining out. But for the next few
>> days we will be dining out some and trying to find other places that
>> have AC because the house is too miserable.
>>
>> I don't normally eat it or buy it but since I made tacos tonight, I
>> bought a bag of shredded iceberg lettuce. Angela and I were fighting
>> over the remains of it because we both wanted it. I don't know why
>> really.
>> We've also been having a lot of ice water. I've been putting lemon
>> in mine. I'm going to buy a bag of ice tomorrow because I can't make
>> enough to keep up with the demand.
>>
>> I've never liked ice cream and don't normally like frozen things. But the
>> ice just sounds good.
>>
>> What do you like to eat/drink in hot weather.

> At home I always have cold water in the fridge. I fill 1 litre bottles and
> semi freeze them then put them back down in the fridge part. I also like
> icy cold cans of Pepsi Max (Pepsi 1 to you I believe).
>
> If out driving I like nothing better than pulling into Maccas drive
> through and getting a diet coke. It has a goodly bit of ice in it and the
> machine diet coke somehow has a dry taste rather than a sweet one which I
> really like.
>
> As to food, its salad all year round in my house. Large one in summer,
> small one accompanying cooked veggies in winter.

I normally drink Diet Coke with Lime but it just isn't quenching my thirst!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> What do you like to eat/drink in hot weather.

Cold shrimp and iceberg lettuce. Cold potato/leek soup -- oh, wait,
never mind that; it's pre-diagnosis. Cold sesame noodles (shiritaki?)
with chicken.

Homemade iced tea with extra lemon.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Republic of Tea" Ice Tea is unsweetened. I do add Splenda to it but that
way I can control the amount. Regular Ice Tea I can drink without sweet but
I need to sweeten the flavored ones...just call me weird

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>>I drink "Republic of Tea" Ice Tea...It's really refreshing. They have all
>>flavors and it is a little expensive so I just buy the bottles and save
>>them to drink when I feel like a cool treat. I like to make Ice Tea with
>>Lady Grey Tea too. I also drink lots of ice water. I also like soda. I
>>like to make cold salads...Like Fried Chicken or steak salad with
>>leftovers. Tuna Salad in a scooped out tomato is good for lunch.Tonight we
>>had cold chicken and Wayne had Mac Salad(I had a Tablespoon of it) and I
>>had a nice green salad. Luckily we have AZ...it is a must in AZ. An AC or
>>Swamp Box. I make strawberries with Splenda and serve them with whipped
>>cream...or when other berries are in season I will mix them. I heard
>>Crystal Light Popsicles are good...haven't tried that yet. It sure will be
>>nice when the hot weather gets a bit cooler. We're in for the hundreds
>>again next week and no sign of rain....the monsoons have seemed to go into
>>hiding

> No rain here either.
>
> I had some bottled ice tea, but I can only drink the unsweetened kind.
> Can't stand sweet tea. It's hard to find and expensive!
>
> I was going to make a pasta salad, but seeing as how it's Angela's real
> birthday, I'm just going to take her out to eat. Maybe we'll have the
> pasta salad the next day. I already bought all of the ingredients.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I forgot the cold shrimp...that is a favorite of ours..just shrimp on ice
and a nice green salad.....Sometimes I will make a cold crab salad . I used
to make Sun Tea allot but now that I have my ice tea maker I don't.
Jacquie
"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> What do you like to eat/drink in hot weather.

> Cold shrimp and iceberg lettuce. Cold potato/leek soup -- oh, wait,
> never mind that; it's pre-diagnosis. Cold sesame noodles (shiritaki?)
> with chicken.
>
> Homemade iced tea with extra lemon.
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

ome mde iced tea with no sweetener, but maaybe some lemon. cold salads
for dinner like fish salads, that feel filling but not heavy. I like to
keep a pitcher of home made gazpacho, sich I make in 2 qt quantities.
This makes a refreshing snack, first course or light lunch with some low
carb crackers, like Wasa or low carb bread OR a piece of fruit and maybe
some cheese.

In general I find eating lightly and drinking lots of no-carb stuff(like
the iced tea, water, diet soda) works well. Just holdign the cold glass
hels too.

We are so cool here in the Northeast and I hav e not made gazpacho even
once this summer.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> "Republic of Tea" Ice Tea is unsweetened. I do add Splenda to it but that
> way I can control the amount. Regular Ice Tea I can drink without sweet
> but I need to sweeten the flavored ones...just call me weird

Hmmm... I don't think we can get that here. I've never seen it. Just
Lipton and Nestea.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have to order it online. If we go into Tucson I can get it at the Bamboo
Club ...it is expensive though. Here is their addy:
http://www.republicoftea.com/

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> "Republic of Tea" Ice Tea is unsweetened. I do add Splenda to it but that
>> way I can control the amount. Regular Ice Tea I can drink without sweet
>> but I need to sweeten the flavored ones...just call me weird

> Hmmm... I don't think we can get that here. I've never seen it. Just
> Lipton and Nestea.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I have to order it online. If we go into Tucson I can get it at the Bamboo
>Club ...it is expensive though. Here is their addy:
> http://www.republicoftea.com/

Ohhh... I assumed it was made up already. Could be we can get it here. I
will look.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You can get it in the bottles too. it's on their site.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>>I have to order it online. If we go into Tucson I can get it at the Bamboo
>>Club ...it is expensive though. Here is their addy:
>> http://www.republicoftea.com/

> Ohhh... I assumed it was made up already. Could be we can get it here.
> I will look.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> You can get it in the bottles too. it's on their site.

Oh. Okay. I just glanced at it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Talk about hot...Our AC went out three days ago...Wayne found the broke part
and fixed it (108 degrees that day) We've had a cool house for almost 3 days
and the compressor died. So we either pay $2700.00 for a new compressor or
$3800.00 for a new AC , and since the AC is almost 11 years old we opt for
the new one....Ahhh the benefits of being a home owner... Cold Salads for
dinner tonight
Jacquie
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We are having uncharacteristically hot weather here and it would appear
> that it's going to last for an extended period of time. Just when I was
> trying to cut back on dining out. But for the next few days we will be
> dining out some and trying to find other places that have AC because the
> house is too miserable.
>
> I don't normally eat it or buy it but since I made tacos tonight, I bought
> a bag of shredded iceberg lettuce. Angela and I were fighting over the
> remains of it because we both wanted it. I don't know why really.
>
> We've also been having a lot of ice water. I've been putting lemon in
> mine. I'm going to buy a bag of ice tomorrow because I can't make enough
> to keep up with the demand.
>
> I've never liked ice cream and don't normally like frozen things. But the
> ice just sounds good.
>
> What do you like to eat/drink in hot weather.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> Talk about hot...Our AC went out three days ago...Wayne found the broke
> part and fixed it (108 degrees that day) We've had a cool house for almost
> 3 days and the compressor died. So we either pay $2700.00 for a new
> compressor or $3800.00 for a new AC , and since the AC is almost 11 years
> old we opt for the new one....Ahhh the benefits of being a home owner...
> Cold Salads for dinner tonight
> Jacquie

Wow Jacquie, that's hot. I had mine go out a couple of years ago and the man
was able to fix it, but he told us he had never worked on a Westinghouse
that old, so...I'm sure it's just a question of when. Stay cool. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> Talk about hot...Our AC went out three days ago...Wayne found the broke
> part and fixed it (108 degrees that day) We've had a cool house for almost
> 3 days and the compressor died. So we either pay $2700.00 for a new
> compressor or $3800.00 for a new AC , and since the AC is almost 11 years
> old we opt for the new one....Ahhh the benefits of being a home owner...
> Cold Salads for dinner tonight

It reached 106 here the other day. An all time high! There are no fans or
AC to be found in any stores here. If any do come in, they are already
spoken for.

We have been eating out at least one meal a day just to get some relief.
They are telling people they need to spend at least 2-3 hours in AC to cool
the body off. I have been driving the cat around in the van because there
is AC in there. We've been spending a lot of time driving as well!

We are having Angela's kid birthday party tonight and it's a slumber party
at a hotel. AC, yay! Our suites will have fridges and microwaves. They
have a restaurant there for dinner and they have acceptable foods. They
offer free snacks and cold drinks for dinner. I was told that the snacks
vary so no telling what those might be. Free cooked to order breakfast.
Not sure I'll be able to eat that either. But it did say there was fruit.
I don't normally eat fruit but at least I'm not allergic to it. I'm taking
a small bag of peanut butter filled pretzels so at least I'll have those.
Just watching the clock now. Can't wait to leave!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> Talk about hot...Our AC went out three days ago...Wayne found the broke
>> part and fixed it (108 degrees that day) We've had a cool house for
>> almost 3 days and the compressor died. So we either pay $2700.00 for a
>> new compressor or $3800.00 for a new AC , and since the AC is almost 11
>> years old we opt for the new one....Ahhh the benefits of being a home
>> owner... Cold Salads for dinner tonight

> It reached 106 here the other day. An all time high! There are no fans
> or AC to be found in any stores here. If any do come in, they are already
> spoken for.
>
> We have been eating out at least one meal a day just to get some relief.
> They are telling people they need to spend at least 2-3 hours in AC to
> cool the body off. I have been driving the cat around in the van because
> there is AC in there. We've been spending a lot of time driving as well!
>
> We are having Angela's kid birthday party tonight and it's a slumber party
> at a hotel. AC, yay! Our suites will have fridges and microwaves. They
> have a restaurant there for dinner and they have acceptable foods. They
> offer free snacks and cold drinks for dinner. I was told that the snacks
> vary so no telling what those might be. Free cooked to order breakfast.
> Not sure I'll be able to eat that either. But it did say there was fruit.
> I don't normally eat fruit but at least I'm not allergic to it. I'm
> taking a small bag of peanut butter filled pretzels so at least I'll have
> those. Just watching the clock now. Can't wait to leave!

I'd be going to the nearest Mall....We were just lucky that we got a
portable AC a few years back, and we put it in the LR and that's where we
sat all day. We also spent some time in the pool...but it's not real cool.
Sounds like a neat Birthday Party.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>>> Talk about hot...Our AC went out three days ago...Wayne found the broke
>>> part and fixed it (108 degrees that day) We've had a cool house for
>>> almost 3 days and the compressor died. So we either pay $2700.00 for a
>>> new compressor or $3800.00 for a new AC , and since the AC is almost 11
>>> years old we opt for the new one....Ahhh the benefits of being a home
>>> owner... Cold Salads for dinner tonight

>> It reached 106 here the other day. An all time high! There are no fans
>> or AC to be found in any stores here. If any do come in, they are
>> already spoken for.
>>
>> We have been eating out at least one meal a day just to get some relief.
>> They are telling people they need to spend at least 2-3 hours in AC to
>> cool the body off. I have been driving the cat around in the van because
>> there is AC in there. We've been spending a lot of time driving as well!
>>
>> We are having Angela's kid birthday party tonight and it's a slumber
>> party at a hotel. AC, yay! Our suites will have fridges and microwaves.
>> They have a restaurant there for dinner and they have acceptable foods.
>> They offer free snacks and cold drinks for dinner. I was told that the
>> snacks vary so no telling what those might be. Free cooked to order
>> breakfast. Not sure I'll be able to eat that either. But it did say
>> there was fruit. I don't normally eat fruit but at least I'm not allergic
>> to it. I'm taking a small bag of peanut butter filled pretzels so at
>> least I'll have those. Just watching the clock now. Can't wait to leave!
>>

> I'd be going to the nearest Mall....We were just lucky that we got a
> portable AC a few years back, and we put it in the LR and that's where we
> sat all day. We also spent some time in the pool...but it's not real cool.
> Sounds like a neat Birthday Party.

The mall was not very cool at all. The employees were all wearing shorts,
sandals and no socks. I read somewhere that most of the large businesses
here do not use AC, but swamp coolers. Those only lower the temp. like 10
degrees or so. I don't know if this is true or not.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...

>>> It reached 106 here the other day. An all time high! There are no fans
>>> or AC to be found in any stores here. If any do come in, they are
>>> already spoken for.
>>>
>>> We have been eating out at least one meal a day just to get some relief.
>>> They are telling people they need to spend at least 2-3 hours in AC to
>>> cool the body off. I have been driving the cat around in the van
>>> because there is AC in there. We've been spending a lot of time driving
>>> as well!
>>>
>>> We are having Angela's kid birthday party tonight and it's a slumber
>>> party at a hotel. AC, yay! Our suites will have fridges and
>>> microwaves. They have a restaurant there for dinner and they have
>>> acceptable foods. They offer free snacks and cold drinks for dinner. I
>>> was told that the snacks vary so no telling what those might be. Free
>>> cooked to order breakfast. Not sure I'll be able to eat that either.
>>> But it did say there was fruit. I don't normally eat fruit but at least
>>> I'm not allergic to it. I'm taking a small bag of peanut butter filled
>>> pretzels so at least I'll have those. Just watching the clock now.
>>> Can't wait to leave!
>>>

>> I'd be going to the nearest Mall....We were just lucky that we got a
>> portable AC a few years back, and we put it in the LR and that's where we
>> sat all day. We also spent some time in the pool...but it's not real
>> cool. Sounds like a neat Birthday Party.

> The mall was not very cool at all. The employees were all wearing shorts,
> sandals and no socks. I read somewhere that most of the large businesses
> here do not use AC, but swamp coolers. Those only lower the temp. like 10
> degrees or so. I don't know if this is true or not.

Swamp boxes cool down very well..IF there is no humidity...if there is
humidity they are not worth a darn . We used to have both AC and Swamp boxes
at my old house...the Swamp boxes worked great until the monsoons roll in
and we get humidity...that's when the AC's come on. We liked the Swamp boxes
because using them meant lower Summer electric bills. I find it strange that
a humid place like Seattle would use Swamp Boxes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...

>>> I'd be going to the nearest Mall....We were just lucky that we got a
>>> portable AC a few years back, and we put it in the LR and that's where
>>> we sat all day. We also spent some time in the pool...but it's not real
>>> cool. Sounds like a neat Birthday Party.

>> The mall was not very cool at all. The employees were all wearing
>> shorts, sandals and no socks. I read somewhere that most of the large
>> businesses here do not use AC, but swamp coolers. Those only lower the
>> temp. like 10 degrees or so. I don't know if this is true or not.
>>

> Swamp boxes cool down very well..IF there is no humidity...if there is
> humidity they are not worth a darn . We used to have both AC and Swamp
> boxes at my old house...the Swamp boxes worked great until the monsoons
> roll in and we get humidity...that's when the AC's come on. We liked the
> Swamp boxes because using them meant lower Summer electric bills. I find
> it strange that a humid place like Seattle would use Swamp Boxes.

Well I did research on this and found very mixed reviews. Seems people
either liked them (don't think anyone loved them) or said they didn't work
at all here. I also learned that normally during our cool weather, we have
high humidity, but also normally when the temp. rises here, the humidity
drops. This explains a few things to me. Having lived in KS, PA, MA and
NY, I know what high humidity is when it is hot outside. It just wasn't
usually like that here. However, during this last heat wave that alas is
still ongoing, the humidity did get high.

I remember meeting my now in-laws for the first time and trying to bring a
present to them that would be something they couldn't get there. My husband
had told me that pretty much everything is available everywhere these days
and actually that's pretty true. If you can't get it locally, you can
almost always find it on the Internet.

I decided to bring some Dilettante chocolates (made in Seattle) and that
turned out to be an insult to them. I didn't know it but people in PA
simply LOVE their Hershey's chocolate and do not like anything else. Those
did not get eaten. I also brought some kind of candied nuts. I can't
remember the particulars on those, but my MIL laughed and said they wouldn't
keep there! To my dismay, the bowl of largely uneaten nuts had melted into
a soggy pile. All of the coating just melted off and was in a wet pool in
the bowl and the nuts lost their crunch.

I also remember sneaking an Oreo cookie at my SIL's house. I can't remember
now if I was staying with them or just spending the day there. She didn't
cook very often (not sure if she does now or not) so kept little in the way
of food in the house. What she did have was often of questionable "use by"
date. This was long enough ago that not all things had pull dates on them,
or if they did, she might have transferred them to another container. So
the only thing that looked edible were the Oreos, which I never liked to
begin with. But to sink my teeth into a humidity infiltrated sandwich
cookie was not a pleasant thing at all! I also remember spitting it out and
attempting to hide it in the trash because my SIL is one of those who does
not like to waste any amount of food for any reason.