Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Just curious ....I'm on metaformin and it seems to be working verywell.

At the same time I am trying to watch my diet, but I was curious if
your body accomodates to the med and , in time, will require a higher
dose or new med. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I am happy as
hell that it is working so well this early in the game.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
> At the same time I am trying to watch my diet, but I was curious if
> your body accomodates to the med and , in time, will require a higher
> dose or new med. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I am happy as
> hell that it is working so well this early in the game.

Diabetes is an ever changing thing. I was on meds, off meds, on meds, on
more meds and now am on meds and insulin.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert of St Louis > wrote:
: At the same time I am trying to watch my diet, but I was curious if
: your body accomodates to the med and , in time, will require a higher
: dose or new med. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I am happy as
: hell that it is working so well this early in the game.

It has not happened t me. In fact, last summer I was able to reduce my
dose from 2,000mgs a day splitinto two doses to 1.500 mgs a day ,1,000 in
the morning and 500 at night.

I have been on the med for over 13 years.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
> At the same time I am trying to watch my diet, but I was curious if
> your body accomodates to the med and , in time, will require a higher
> dose or new med. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I am happy as
> hell that it is working so well this early in the game.

I have been on and off metformin in its various forms several times. In my
case, after a few weeks I start getting attacks of diarrhea. So I have
been on other drugs since then. The latest one and so far the best, is
Byetta, which is injected from a little pen. But if it is working for you,
then wonderful because it is a very good drug. As others have pointed out,
diet is still a really good way to control it.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Robert of St Louis > wrote:
> : At the same time I am trying to watch my diet, but I was curious if
> : your body accomodates to the med and , in time, will require a higher
> : dose or new med. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I am happy as
> : hell that it is working so well this early in the game.
>
> It has not happened t me. In fact, last summer I was able to reduce my
> dose from 2,000mgs a day splitinto two doses to 1.500 mgs a day ,1,000 in
> the morning and 500 at night.
>
> I have been on the med for over 13 years.
>
> Wendy

When I was on it, I never was without diarrhea meds.
It got so bad that I couldn't go anywhere without expecting an attack of the
runs.

Then I went on Actos and gained 20 lbs and my bones became weak. I hope
that oneday they make a diabetes drug that doesn't have ANY side effects!

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 04:31:21 -0700, Tecknomage >
wrote:

>But, this year, my fasting levels have been higher than in the past.
>Not over the upper limit of 160mg/dl but just higher than in previous
>years. I am wondering if Metformin is not working as well or I have
>to change my low-carb diet.

160!! Wow. Do you mean that? If your fastings are really 160, you need
an urgent med review.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 15, 5:18*am, Robert of St Louis > wrote:
> At the same time I am trying to watch my diet, but I was curious if
> your body accomodates to the med and , in time, will require a higher
> dose or new med. *I don't want to be pessimistic, but I am happy as
> hell that it is working so well this early in the game.

I've been on 2x500 for 2 years and doing well. The weight loss tapers
off after the first 6 months. I recommend that you stay on metformin
as long as possible. While there are other medications available that
work as well, they are generally *way* more expensive.