Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I was baaaaad!

I don't normally buy sweets. Yesterday I bought a round cake of some kind
of Mexican chocolate. They were giving out samples at the store. No, I
didn't eat it or even open it. Some day I will and then I will kick myself
because it will probably aggravate my GERD. The little sample I had
yesterday didn't seem to affect me though.

The real badness came tonight. I get those boxes of organic produce at
least a couple of times a month. I seem to get 4 apples in every box and
nobody ever eats them. Daughter and husband will eat sliced apples that I
buy, but rarely a whole apple. So when I get too many of them, I make an
apple crisp. Now I only do this about 3 to 4 times a year.

And then? I eat it! Yes, I was bad. Has real brown sugar in it and
everything.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:26:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I seem to get 4 apples in every box and
>nobody ever eats them. Daughter and husband will eat sliced apples that I
>buy, but rarely a whole apple.

I have a magic implement shaped in a circle, divided into segments,
and with a small circle in the middle. You put it over the apple, push
lightly, and voila - cored, sliced apple. My kid loves it - and her
apple consumption is dramatically up.

>So when I get too many of them, I make an
>apple crisp. Now I only do this about 3 to 4 times a year.

Sounds good Won't Splenda or similar work?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:26:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I seem to get 4 apples in every box and
>>nobody ever eats them. Daughter and husband will eat sliced apples that I
>>buy, but rarely a whole apple.

> I have a magic implement shaped in a circle, divided into segments,
> and with a small circle in the middle. You put it over the apple, push
> lightly, and voila - cored, sliced apple. My kid loves it - and her
> apple consumption is dramatically up.

I have two of those. They won't eat apples done that way. Not any more.
They want the sliced ones in a bag.

>>So when I get too many of them, I make an
>>apple crisp. Now I only do this about 3 to 4 times a year.

> Sounds good Won't Splenda or similar work?

No. You need the brown sugar to get the crisp part.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: I don't normally buy sweets. Yesterday I bought a round cake of some kind
: of Mexican chocolate. They were giving out samples at the store. No, I
: didn't eat it or even open it. Some day I will and then I will kick myself
: because it will probably aggravate my GERD. The little sample I had
: yesterday didn't seem to affect me though.

: The real badness came tonight. I get those boxes of organic produce at
: least a couple of times a month. I seem to get 4 apples in every box and
: nobody ever eats them. Daughter and husband will eat sliced apples that I
: buy, but rarely a whole apple. So when I get too many of them, I make an
: apple crisp. Now I only do this about 3 to 4 times a year.

: And then? I eat it! Yes, I was bad. Has real brown sugar in it and
: everything.

For your daghter and husband-try slicing fresh apples, reomoving the core
and serving with a little dish of honey to dip them in. Makes a nice
snack or dessert.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I don't normally buy sweets. Yesterday I bought a round cake of some
> kind
> : of Mexican chocolate. They were giving out samples at the store. No, I
> : didn't eat it or even open it. Some day I will and then I will kick
> myself
> : because it will probably aggravate my GERD. The little sample I had
> : yesterday didn't seem to affect me though.
>
> : The real badness came tonight. I get those boxes of organic produce at
> : least a couple of times a month. I seem to get 4 apples in every box
> and
> : nobody ever eats them. Daughter and husband will eat sliced apples that
> : buy, but rarely a whole apple. So when I get too many of them, I make
> an
> : apple crisp. Now I only do this about 3 to 4 times a year.
>
> : And then? I eat it! Yes, I was bad. Has real brown sugar in it
> and
> : everything.
>
> For your daghter and husband-try slicing fresh apples, reomoving the core
> and serving with a little dish of honey to dip them in. Makes a nice
> snack or dessert.

Yuck! Nobody in this house likes honey. And why put extra calories on
fruit like that? We don't generally eat dessert here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:09:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>Yuck! Nobody in this house likes honey. And why put extra calories on
>>fruit like that? We don't generally eat dessert here.

> Well, unlike anyone in your house, people put extra calories
> in fruit like that for taste; just like some put brown sugar
> in...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I don't normally buy sweets. Yesterday I bought a round cake of some kind
>of Mexican chocolate. They were giving out samples at the store. No, I
>didn't eat it or even open it. Some day I will and then I will kick myself
>because it will probably aggravate my GERD. The little sample I had
>yesterday didn't seem to affect me though.
>
> The real badness came tonight. I get those boxes of organic produce at
> least a couple of times a month. I seem to get 4 apples in every box and
> nobody ever eats them. Daughter and husband will eat sliced apples that I
> buy, but rarely a whole apple. So when I get too many of them, I make an
> apple crisp. Now I only do this about 3 to 4 times a year.
>
> And then? I eat it! Yes, I was bad. Has real brown sugar in it and
> everything.

Here's a good trick. Peel the apple and cut it into pieces. Sprinkle it
with cinnamon and splenda. Bake it in the microwave till it is tender.
Let it cool a bit then put a bit of sugar free whipped cream on it. Like
eating apple pie ala mode, few carbs and very delicious.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:09:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>Yuck! Nobody in this house likes honey. And why put extra calories on
>>fruit like that? We don't generally eat dessert here.

> Well, unlike anyone in your house, people put extra calories
> in fruit like that for taste; just like some put brown sugar
> in...

The sugar isn't in the fruit but the topping. Yes, some probably melts down
into the apples. I never sweeten apples for crisp or pie. Not that I make
pie any more.

When I used to make apple sauce, I added only a minimal amount of sugar if I
were canning it because the sugar helps to preserve it. For eating fresh, I
add no sweetener.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I don't normally buy sweets. Yesterday I bought a round cake of some kind
>>of Mexican chocolate. They were giving out samples at the store. No, I
>>didn't eat it or even open it. Some day I will and then I will kick
>>myself because it will probably aggravate my GERD. The little sample I
>>had yesterday didn't seem to affect me though.
>>
>> The real badness came tonight. I get those boxes of organic produce at
>> least a couple of times a month. I seem to get 4 apples in every box and
>> nobody ever eats them. Daughter and husband will eat sliced apples that
>> I buy, but rarely a whole apple. So when I get too many of them, I make
>> an apple crisp. Now I only do this about 3 to 4 times a year.
>>
>> And then? I eat it! Yes, I was bad. Has real brown sugar in it and
>> everything.

> Here's a good trick. Peel the apple and cut it into pieces. Sprinkle it
> with cinnamon and splenda. Bake it in the microwave till it is tender.
> Let it cool a bit then put a bit of sugar free whipped cream on it. Like
> eating apple pie ala mode, few carbs and very delicious.

I'm allergic to dairy, didn't like whipped cream to start with and don't
really like baked apples. Certainly not sweetened baked apples. Never
liked pie a la mode either. Or even pie for that matter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Alan S" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:09:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
: > > wrote:
: >
: >>
: >>Yuck! Nobody in this house likes honey. And why put extra calories on
: >>fruit like that? We don't generally eat dessert here.
: >
: > Well, unlike anyone in your house, people put extra calories
: > in fruit like that for taste; just like some put brown sugar
: > in...

: The sugar isn't in the fruit but the topping. Yes, some probably melts down
: into the apples. I never sweeten apples for crisp or pie. Not that I make
: pie any more.

: When I used to make apple sauce, I added only a minimal amount of sugar if I
: were canning it because the sugar helps to preserve it. For eating fresh, I
: add no sweetener.

I have been canning applesauce for years and never used sugar. It really
is not needed, as the apples are sweet enough and the canning process
knocks out the germs.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Susan" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> That is added to the topping. Not the fruit.

> > So the calories don't count, somehow?
> >
> > You objected to the addition of calories.

> I don't remember what I said now. I just think putting honey on fruit
> sounds terrible! But then I can't stand the taste of honey.

My Father, Uncle and Grandmother raised bees when I was a kid. I love it! I
now buy it by the gallon, mostly for our daughter and her kids. I'll
occasionally have 1/2 tsp or so. ;-(

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> My Father, Uncle and Grandmother raised bees when I was a kid. I love it!
> now buy it by the gallon, mostly for our daughter and her kids. I'll
> occasionally have 1/2 tsp or so. ;-(

My BIL is a bee keeper. I like honey OK, but I can leave it alone.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > So the calories don't count, somehow?
>> >
>> > You objected to the addition of calories.

>> I don't remember what I said now. I just think putting honey on fruit
>> sounds terrible! But then I can't stand the taste of honey.

> My Father, Uncle and Grandmother raised bees when I was a kid. I love it!
> now buy it by the gallon, mostly for our daughter and her kids. I'll
> occasionally have 1/2 tsp or so. ;-(

I never liked it. My brother used to put it on cornbread and biscuits. I
would just gag watching him eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> Then I guess you think it's acceptable to share the addition of calories
> you like, but appropriate to react with disgust to the preferences of
> others?
>
> Susan

Sometimes ya just gotta...LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:55:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Well yes. It's raw fruit. Raw fruit is good for you. I wouldn't think
>>it
>>would be good if you sweetened it. And I still don't see why someone
>>would
>>ruin a healthy food like that, any more than I can see how someone can put
>>dressing on a salad.
>>
>>I know apple crisp isn't good for you.

> Raw fruit is neither better nor worse for you than honey.
> Both can provide nutrients and energy and both can cause
> disastrously high blood glucose levels if consumed in the
> wrong portion size.

I'm not referring to carbs. It's where honey comes from.

> If I wasn't diabetic, honey would be, as it used to be, one
> of my staple spreads on bread. Of the various sugars
> available from nature, to me it is one of the purest and
> tastiest.

Seriously?

> These days I have a half-slice of bread spread with butter
> and a smear of honey as an occasional treat if I happen to
> test under 4.0(72). No scientific reason for that - it's
> just my excuse for the treat:-)

*shudder*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:22:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .
>I'm not referring to carbs. It's where honey comes from.

Um - pollen?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:33:16 +0100, Nicky >
wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:22:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>>"Alan S" > wrote in message
. ..
>>I'm not referring to carbs. It's where honey comes from.

>Um - pollen?

LOL - sorry, Alan, I've screwed the attribution up royally

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:22:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Alan S" > wrote in message
. ..
>>I'm not referring to carbs. It's where honey comes from.

> Um - pollen?

Isn't it like...bee vomit?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 00:53:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:22:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"Alan S" > wrote in message
>>>I'm not referring to carbs. It's where honey comes from.

>> Um - pollen?

>Isn't it like...bee vomit?

No! Bees have a separate pouch for nectar destined for honey, and
another stomach for their food. It's about as disgusting as you
sucking a honeysuckle flower to get the nectar directly...

Honey is really high in fructose, so it's not high on my diet - but I
enjoy it occasionally, and I make sure my kids get some; it's
excellent to help them get protection against allergies and hayfever.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > Raw fruit is neither better nor worse for you than honey.
> > Both can provide nutrients and energy and both can cause
> > disastrously high blood glucose levels if consumed in the
> > wrong portion size.

> I'm not referring to carbs. It's where honey comes from.

Huh? From bees, last I knew. I buy and eat raw honey that hasn't been
heated and has bits of honeycomb and stuff in it. Extremely good on a
whole wheat "British" muffin from Trader Joe's, toasted and buttered. A
real treat for me.

Do you eat eggs? Or is that one of the allergies?

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:22:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>"Alan S" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >>I'm not referring to carbs. It's where honey comes from.

> > Um - pollen?

> Isn't it like...bee vomit?

LOLOLOLOLOL~ Sorry. Uh, no. It's not bee vomit.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 00:53:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Nicky" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:22:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> Um - pollen?

>>Isn't it like...bee vomit?
>>

> No! Bees have a separate pouch for nectar destined for honey, and
> another stomach for their food. It's about as disgusting as you
> sucking a honeysuckle flower to get the nectar directly...
>
> Honey is really high in fructose, so it's not high on my diet - but I
> enjoy it occasionally, and I make sure my kids get some; it's
> excellent to help them get protection against allergies and hayfever.

Oh. Somebody told me that when I was a kid.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > Raw fruit is neither better nor worse for you than honey.
>> > Both can provide nutrients and energy and both can cause
>> > disastrously high blood glucose levels if consumed in the
>> > wrong portion size.

>> I'm not referring to carbs. It's where honey comes from.

> Huh? From bees, last I knew. I buy and eat raw honey that hasn't been
> heated and has bits of honeycomb and stuff in it. Extremely good on a
> whole wheat "British" muffin from Trader Joe's, toasted and buttered. A
> real treat for me.
>
> Do you eat eggs? Or is that one of the allergies?

Allergy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:22:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> . ..
>> >
>> > Um - pollen?

>> Isn't it like...bee vomit?

> LOLOLOLOLOL~ Sorry. Uh, no. It's not bee vomit.

Then I stand corrected.