Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Why do I see BROWN SUGAR

Being used in so many diabetic recipes?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
> Being used in so many diabetic recipes?

Because as I already told you, those are books that you should burn. They
will kill you.
--

Evelyn

The fool thinks he has won a battle when he bullies with harsh speech, but
knowing how to be forbearing alone makes one victorious.
Samyutta Nikaya I, 163

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert of St Louis wrote:
> Being used in so many diabetic recipes?

during the first 3 years subsequent to my diagnosis, my family would buy
me endless 'diabetic recipes'

typically, the books were filled with 'treats' and dessert type dishes,
or horribly carby lasagne....... it was ridiculous

my family doesn't buy me 'diabetic cookbooks' anymore, and i gave the
books away
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
> Being used in so many diabetic recipes?

I don't know. I never use diabetic recipes. They are generally too high in
carbs for us.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

BlueBrooke > wrote:
: On Sat, 30 May 2009 07:01:27 -0700 (PDT), Robert of St Louis
: > wrote:

: >Being used in so many diabetic recipes?

: Hi, Robert --

: First, welcome. Sorry you're here -- but glad you're here -- if that
: makes any sense.

: Second, I've been watching your posts. This one right here shows that
: you're starting to realize something's not right with what "they" say.
: It's so confusing, isn't it? Been there, done that, got the t-shirt,
: and definitely feel your pain.

: My guess is that "they" want diabetics to think they can eat anything
: "normies" can eat -- as long as they compensate for it with meds.
: Also, last I checked, the BG limits "they" think are okay are way too
: high. The advice is usually to "limit sugar" but I'm not too old to
: remember my high school biology class where we learned that starch IS
: sugar once you eat it. Don't understand why "they" don't remember
: that.

: You're posting to alt.food.diabetic. Put those "diabetic cookbooks"
: in the basement and take a peek at the archives for this group and
: look at some of *those* recipes -- as well as the comments on how
: people tweaked them to work for them. Start using your meter to
: figure out what works for you. Despite what "they" say, you won't
: keel over and die overnight if you eat a steak or have bacon and eggs
: for breakfast.

: I know it's really hard to wrap your head around the fact that the
: dietary advice we (in general) are bombarded with might not work --
: i.e., fat is bad, whole grains are "healthy" -- and a bunch of
: amateurs on a newsgroup might actually know what they're talking
: about.

: What I can tell you is that by following a doctor's advice to limit my
: fat intake and concentrate on "healthy" whole grains -- and everything
: would "be fine" -- my fasting was consistently 150 or over and that
: was the *low* for the day. I spent the days feeling sick and
: lethargic while my BG raged and my feet were on fire -- and he
: continued to tell me that I just had "a little sugar problem."

: A few years later -- no thanks to him -- my fasting is consistently
: under 100. A typical meal rarely bumps me into the 120 range, and I
: don't need a nap every time I eat. My diet consists of 65% fat, 11%
: carbs -- a total of about 50g per day. My meter -- and my feet --
: tells me that's the limit. Some people can tolerate more than that --
: only YOUR meter can tell you what you can tolerate.

: Personally, I'm at the extreme end of the scale, carb limitation-wise
: -- as compared to the ASD and AFD groups as a whole -- since I don't
: have health insurance, so there are no meds in my future. I've toyed
: with the idea off and on but, frankly, I'm just too cheap to spend my
: money on pills when I can invest it in a good pot roast. ;-)

: This response would probably be better on ASD, but this is where
: you're posting. If you're at ASD, too, I've missed it with the
: current "stuff" going on there -- lots of "skimming" lately and I
: might have missed it.

: Good luck to you. I've no doubt you'll get it figured out in short
: order and be posting success stories yourself in no time.

Blue-
Not sure you have had this discussed before, but if you have many of the
generic meds and are in the US many drug store chians now have programs
that cover many generics, like Metformin and others for about $10-$20 for
a 90 day supply. In fyou once get the scrip it is good for a year(3
refills) and the cost is bearable. If you have a list of generics, check
the websites of the drug whains and Walmart to see which one covers most
or all of your generics. Personally, I have found that CVS happens to
carry what I need, including the generic for Fossamax, which is somewhat
more expensive at $24 for the 90 day supple, but this is slightly less
than the 25% copay I have with my MedicareD plan and does not ruch e
towards the donut hole! I amy avoid that this year:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert of St Louis wrote:
> Being used in so many diabetic recipes?

....because the people writing the recipes are ill-informed.

Please be careful of any so-called "Diabetic Recipes" They are often
worse than a small portion of the real thing.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Robert of St Louis wrote:
>> Being used in so many diabetic recipes?

> during the first 3 years subsequent to my diagnosis, my family would buy
> me endless 'diabetic recipes'
>
> typically, the books were filled with 'treats' and dessert type dishes, or
> horribly carby lasagne....... it was ridiculous
>
> my family doesn't buy me 'diabetic cookbooks' anymore, and i gave the
> books away

..
I've found that the most suitable cookbooks for type 2 diabetics are
almost always labelled low-carb cookbooks instead.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> Robert of St Louis wrote:
>>> Being used in so many diabetic recipes?

>> during the first 3 years subsequent to my diagnosis, my family would buy
>> me endless 'diabetic recipes'
>>
>> typically, the books were filled with 'treats' and dessert type dishes,
>> or horribly carby lasagne....... it was ridiculous
>>
>> my family doesn't buy me 'diabetic cookbooks' anymore, and i gave the
>> books away

> .
> I've found that the most suitable cookbooks for type 2 diabetics are
> almost always labelled low-carb cookbooks instead.
>
> Robert Miles

Yes.

alt.support.diet.low-carb gave me a lot of help too.

--

Evelyn

The fool thinks he has won a battle when he bullies with harsh speech, but
knowing how to be forbearing alone makes one victorious.
Samyutta Nikaya I, 163

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Robert of St Louis wrote:
: > Being used in so many diabetic recipes?

: ...because the people writing the recipes are ill-informed.

: Please be careful of any so-called "Diabetic Recipes" They are often
: worse than a small portion of the real thing.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

I had a dietician who warned me never o use the recipes in the ADA
magazine, diabees Forecast, as they wee all too high in carbs. she
figured that they were written foor men who engaged in very heavy physical
labor at their jobs.

Wendy