Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sugar in vegetables?

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> I like some dressings but I never use allot just enough to barely wet the
> salad with it. My husband drowns his...but I like my salad to stay crisp
> and if you drown it with dressing it gets soggy. I usually ask for my
> dressing on the side as they always add way to much. I like Ken's
> steakhouse 1 carb ranch. It tastes better than Kraft. If we have company I
> will make homemade ranch but I don't make it if it is just me because it
> goes bad before I can use it. I like Olive Gardens dressing...I usually
> buy a bottle when we go there for dinner.
> We tried growing strawberries when we lived in Florida...the ants got them
> before we could pick them We are not gardeners...we have
> tried....but.. We grew Potatoes and carrots when we lived in
> England...potatoes did fine but out carrots always looked deformed ...LOL.

Most people I know drown their salads in dressing. I think... What is the
point?

We used to have a strawberry patch. Husband took it down twice. I gave up
after the second time. The rockery that separated the two beds was taken
down and put on the lower bed. Now it looks like crap and we have no
berries but he's happy. Even though I don't like most fruit, those
freshly picked berries were sooo good! Not that we got too many. All the
critters around got to them first.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>
> > I like some dressings but I never use allot just enough to barely wet the
> > salad with it. My husband drowns his...but I like my salad to stay crisp
> > and if you drown it with dressing it gets soggy. I usually ask for my
> > dressing on the side as they always add way to much. I like Ken's
> > steakhouse 1 carb ranch. It tastes better than Kraft. If we have company I
> > will make homemade ranch but I don't make it if it is just me because it
> > goes bad before I can use it. I like Olive Gardens dressing...I usually
> > buy a bottle when we go there for dinner.
> > We tried growing strawberries when we lived in Florida...the ants got them
> > before we could pick them We are not gardeners...we have
> > tried....but.. We grew Potatoes and carrots when we lived in
> > England...potatoes did fine but out carrots always looked deformed ...LOL.

> Most people I know drown their salads in dressing. I think... What is the
> point?

It tastes good, and complements the salad greens. Lettuce by itself has
no taste.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>
>> > I like some dressings but I never use allot just enough to barely wet
>> > the
>> > salad with it. My husband drowns his...but I like my salad to stay
>> > crisp
>> > and if you drown it with dressing it gets soggy. I usually ask for my
>> > dressing on the side as they always add way to much. I like Ken's
>> > steakhouse 1 carb ranch. It tastes better than Kraft. If we have
>> > company I
>> > will make homemade ranch but I don't make it if it is just me because
>> > it
>> > goes bad before I can use it. I like Olive Gardens dressing...I usually
>> > buy a bottle when we go there for dinner.
>> > We tried growing strawberries when we lived in Florida...the ants got
>> > them
>> > before we could pick them We are not gardeners...we have
>> > tried....but.. We grew Potatoes and carrots when we lived in
>> > England...potatoes did fine but out carrots always looked deformed
>> > ...LOL.

>> Most people I know drown their salads in dressing. I think... What is
>> the
>> point?

> It tastes good, and complements the salad greens. Lettuce by itself has
> no taste.

I disagree. I was once forbidden to make salad for a week because I ate a
whole head of it all by myself. I also had to walk up to the store and buy
another head. I can't see how you would think it has no taste. To me, each
kind of lettuce or green tastes different.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

could be..but my grandmother was a wonderful cook...
they were military so traveled the world eating the best foods as well so
where she got a taste for overcooded veggies i dunno.

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "krom" > wrote:
>
>> I dont get it...the taste of overcooked veggies is often so rancid and
>> sulfuric...yuk...but as you say at least she ate...

> One tends to yearn for what one knows.
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i learned from a hmong friend that americans waste the good parts of the
veggetable..

he peeled broccoli stems and lightly cooked them and served with oyster
sauce...the best thing ever!

i love broccoli stems and they are my favorite part..wife thinks im wierd so
she eats the very tops and i eat the rest..lol

the stems are sweet and soft if u peel them of the woody bits where the tops
are bitter..

when i make stir fry i use the stems and she doesnt know and loves it..lol

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote
> I wouldn't worry about the odd cabbage core, myself. In my family of
> origin, it was a delicacy, so usually my father got it. He'd cut it out
> of the cabbage in triangles, sprinkle salt on it, and have it with a
> drink before dinner. He also always got the vegetable water in a mug
> with some bouillon crystals.
>
> A related family treat was the white inside pieces of Chinese cabbage,
> cut lengthwise, dipped into hoisin sauce. The cold peppery crunch of
> the cabbage vs the sweet salty beany sauce. YUM!
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> could be..but my grandmother was a wonderful cook...
> they were military so traveled the world eating the best foods as
> well so where she got a taste for overcooded veggies i dunno.

maybe it was to please her hubby? My mum, grandmother, aunts etc all cooked
to the way their husbands liked things cooked regardless of how disgusting
the rest of the family thought it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> i learned from a hmong friend that americans waste the good parts of
> the veggetable..

hmong? not familiar with that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"krom" > wrote:

> i learned from a hmong friend that americans waste the good parts of the
> veggetable..
>
> he peeled broccoli stems and lightly cooked them and served with oyster
> sauce...the best thing ever!
>
> i love broccoli stems and they are my favorite part..wife thinks im wierd so
> she eats the very tops and i eat the rest..lol

I agree. I'm like that with asparagus, too. I like thick stalks and
eat the furry bits at the end simply so as not to waste them. It's the
stalks I love.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> krom wrote:
> > i learned from a hmong friend that americans waste the good parts of
> > the veggetable..

> hmong? not familiar with that.

Hill tribes of Vietnam and surrounding areas. I have some Hmong
embroidery pieces. Lovely.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sadly those are flavors most wont get because we have been trained so silly
with veggies.

i know people who have never even tried and refuse to try things like kiwis
etc..they eat bannanas/apples/oranges and the most exotic thing they eat is
peach cobbler and cherry pie..lol.

since i was a kid ive been a adventurous eater...we had a high end condo
shopping area built on the river front with unique specialty shops...with
things nobody in minnesota had ever seen unless they traveled the world.

they had a choclatier with truffles and a fresh fish market which was very
unusual in my city and a flower/produce stand that had imported items like
ugly fruit etc.

so while other kids spent money on comics etc..i was trying new things..lol

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "krom" > wrote:
>
>> i learned from a hmong friend that americans waste the good parts of the
>> veggetable..
>>
>> he peeled broccoli stems and lightly cooked them and served with oyster
>> sauce...the best thing ever!
>>
>> i love broccoli stems and they are my favorite part..wife thinks im wierd
>> so
>> she eats the very tops and i eat the rest..lol

> I agree. I'm like that with asparagus, too. I like thick stalks and
> eat the furry bits at the end simply so as not to waste them. It's the
> stalks I love.
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no i recall my father hated her cooking..lol...in fact i can remeber he did
alot of simple cooking.

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> could be..but my grandmother was a wonderful cook...
>> they were military so traveled the world eating the best foods as
>> well so where she got a taste for overcooded veggies i dunno.

> maybe it was to please her hubby? My mum, grandmother, aunts etc all
> cooked to the way their husbands liked things cooked regardless of how
> disgusting the rest of the family thought it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> Yeah, other greens have taste, but plain lettuce doesn't. Regardless,
> it's all enhanced by vinaigrette.

I think it does. I like plain lettuce, and I like the way it tastes.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-archive; Yes

Cheri wrote:

> I do, I like iceberg lettuce, it tastes to me as distinctive as celery,
> but there are those that say vodka has no smell too. :-)

It has a distinctive, but very weak taste, true. I like the crunch mixed
in with plenty of other stuff sometimes, but never buy it or eat it on
its own.

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> Yeah, other greens have taste, but plain lettuce doesn't. Regardless,
> it's all enhanced by vinaigrette.

And I say that it does! It's no wonder there are things I can't stand the
taste of. Apparently I can taste things that others can't.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> Good. I'm glad you can eat it, and that it tastes good to you. Do you have
> a special recipe that you do with it? :-)

No. And I really can't eat more than a few bites of it. Very bad for the
gastroparesis.