FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pakora/Bhiaji (thanks Nicky) (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/172213-pakora-bhiaji-thanks-nicky.html)

Ricavito 15-05-2009 11:25 PM

Pakora/Bhiaji (thanks Nicky)

I think I murdered the spelling, but golly, these were fabulous! I
made a batter of water, chickpea flour, garam masala, ground
coriander, salt, chili pepper, cumin, a couple cloves chopped garlic,
and a chopped green pepper.

I chopped up a large bowl of rainbow chard, spinach, yam (cut into
matchsticks), onion rings, mushroom, and bell pepper, dipped them in
the batter, and dropped them by tablespoons into hot oil in the wok.
I did't have cauliflower, eggplant, or zucchini on hand, but they
would have been even better.

They tasted wonderful alone, but I also made a chutney with several
cups of fresh mint, cilantro, and lime juice from the garden, with
some dried coconut and a tablespoon of oil and a couple tablespoons of
greekstyle yoghurt.

Haven't tested yet.....but I'm hoping they will be bg friendly, even
though I totalled pigged out eating them.

Nicky, thanks for the advice on these, the recipe is definitely going
to be a keeper for us. Someone suggested frying a big batch and
freezing them for reheating later in the over or in a quick fry. Next
time, I will try forming the veggies into balls and giving just a dry
dusting of the flour/spice mix. That's more like bhaija, I think?

Nicky 31-05-2009 05:01 PM

Pakora/Bhiaji (thanks Nicky)

On Fri, 15 May 2009 15:25:41 -0700 (PDT), Ricavito
> wrote:

>Nicky, thanks for the advice on these, the recipe is definitely going
>to be a keeper for us. Someone suggested frying a big batch and
>freezing them for reheating later in the over or in a quick fry. Next
>time, I will try forming the veggies into balls and giving just a dry
>dusting of the flour/spice mix. That's more like bhaija, I think?

Sorry, Ricavito - been away for a few days. You're describing pakora,
I think - but hey, the differences are subtle :) Freezing a batch
sounds like a great idea.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine