Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Mmm... Peas!

I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one of
my favorite vegetables.

When I was pregnant and had GD, the dietician I saw chastised me for eating
them and said I should eat dried beans instead because they contained more
protein. So I quit eating them.

Then when I was diagnosed with type 2, peas still had an inferior stigma in
my mind, so I did without them save for a lone pea or two snatched from
Angela's plate when she wasn't looking.

Then one day I realized that dietician was just full of it, so I began
eating them again. Not a lot and not often. But I did put them
occasionally in soup and in tuna casserole.

Then Angela was diagnosed with an allergy to peas. I got rid of all the
peas in the house (except for the Newman's Own pretzels with pea
protein...she's also allergic to wheat) which I eat on occasion for a snack.
She also loves peas and I felt it would be mean for me to eat them in front
of her. She loves them so much that she kept taking them at the salad bar,
then realizing what she had done. She would have to make another salad for
herself and give that one to her dad.

But tonight I made tuna casserole and decided I just HAD to have some peas
with it. So I bought two little cans. Yes, cans. I grew up on canned
vegetables and they taste just fine to me, with a few exceptions like
asparagus.

The casserole was made differently than usual because I got a double order
of cremini mushrooms. Perhaps I should have called it mushroom casserole
with added tuna and macaroni. I used a 2 quart casserole and there was
about 1" of cooked rice macaroni on the bottom of it.

The sauce was made with dried mushrooms (from Costco) ground to a powder.
There was about a cup after being ground. This was mixed into a slurp of
olive oil and thinned down with a little rice milk. I cooked this for a
couple of minutes then added some Just Onions (minced freeze dried onions),
parsley, salt and pepper and the two containers of mushrooms that had been
chopped.

The sauce and three cans of Kirkland tuna (Costco brand) were added to fill
the casserole about 3/4 of the way full.

Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.

But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one
> of my favorite vegetables.
>
> When I was pregnant and had GD, the dietician I saw chastised me for
> eating them and said I should eat dried beans instead because they
> contained more protein. So I quit eating them.
>
> Then when I was diagnosed with type 2, peas still had an inferior stigma
> in my mind, so I did without them save for a lone pea or two snatched
> from Angela's plate when she wasn't looking.
>
> Then one day I realized that dietician was just full of it, so I began
> eating them again. Not a lot and not often. But I did put them
> occasionally in soup and in tuna casserole.
>
> Then Angela was diagnosed with an allergy to peas. I got rid of all the
> peas in the house (except for the Newman's Own pretzels with pea
> protein...she's also allergic to wheat) which I eat on occasion for a
> snack. She also loves peas and I felt it would be mean for me to eat them
> in front of her. She loves them so much that she kept taking them at the
> salad bar, then realizing what she had done. She would have to make
> another salad for herself and give that one to her dad.
>
> But tonight I made tuna casserole and decided I just HAD to have some
> peas with it. So I bought two little cans. Yes, cans. I grew up on
> canned vegetables and they taste just fine to me, with a few exceptions
> like asparagus.
>
> The casserole was made differently than usual because I got a double
> order of cremini mushrooms. Perhaps I should have called it mushroom
> casserole with added tuna and macaroni. I used a 2 quart casserole and
> there was about 1" of cooked rice macaroni on the bottom of it.
>
> The sauce was made with dried mushrooms (from Costco) ground to a powder.
> There was about a cup after being ground. This was mixed into a slurp of
> olive oil and thinned down with a little rice milk. I cooked this for a
> couple of minutes then added some Just Onions (minced freeze dried
> onions), parsley, salt and pepper and the two containers of mushrooms
> that had been chopped.
>
> The sauce and three cans of Kirkland tuna (Costco brand) were added to
> fill the casserole about 3/4 of the way full.
>
> Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
> left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.
>
> But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
> yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.

That sounds good, Julie.

Jun just made some BBQ'd garlicy pork short ribs for me. Sriracha sauce for
dipping. That's good, too! ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one of
> my favorite vegetables.

snip

> Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
> left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.
>
> But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
> yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.

Peas and pearl onions in bechamel sauce. Memories of my childhood.

I adore peas. Hot, cold, pease porridge, soup... Definitely a required
addition to tuna casserole no matter what, IMO.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"percy" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one
>> of my favorite vegetables.
>>

> snip
>>
>> Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
>> left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.
>>
>> But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
>> yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.

> Peas and pearl onions in bechamel sauce. Memories of my childhood.
>
> I adore peas. Hot, cold, pease porridge, soup... Definitely a required
> addition to tuna casserole no matter what, IMO.

Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "percy" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one
> >> of my favorite vegetables.
> >>

> > snip
> >>
> >> Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
> >> left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.
> >>
> >> But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
> >> yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.

> > Peas and pearl onions in bechamel sauce. Memories of my childhood.
> >
> > I adore peas. Hot, cold, pease porridge, soup... Definitely a required
> > addition to tuna casserole no matter what, IMO.

> Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
> thing.

Ummm... isn't he agreeing?

I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
and I cannot wait!

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > snip

>> > Peas and pearl onions in bechamel sauce. Memories of my childhood.
>> >
>> > I adore peas. Hot, cold, pease porridge, soup... Definitely a required
>> > addition to tuna casserole no matter what, IMO.

>> Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
>> thing.

> Ummm... isn't he agreeing?
>
> I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
> double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
> and I cannot wait!
>
> PP

I use Frozen peas in my Tuna Casserole. I would love to do mushrooms...but
hubby does not like them...but I do us Cream of mushroom soup...he thinks
the small pieces of mushrooms are tuna....

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > snip

>> > Peas and pearl onions in bechamel sauce. Memories of my childhood.
>> >
>> > I adore peas. Hot, cold, pease porridge, soup... Definitely a required
>> > addition to tuna casserole no matter what, IMO.

>> Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
>> thing.

> Ummm... isn't he agreeing?
>
> I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
> double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
> and I cannot wait!

My husband likes peas in tuna casserole. But the tuna casserole he likes
has regular wheat and egg pasta and cream of mushroom soup in it. Angela
and I can't have that kind. I used a rice and quinoa blend pasta and had to
make my own mushroom soup. I think that's the part he didn't like. And
perhaps the fact that I used canned tuna. We've gotten used to the kind in
the pouch and personally I think it tastes a LOT better.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,

>>> Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
>>> thing.

>> Ummm... isn't he agreeing?
>>
>> I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
>> double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
>> and I cannot wait!
>>
>> PP
>>

> I use Frozen peas in my Tuna Casserole. I would love to do mushrooms...but
> hubby does not like them...but I do us Cream of mushroom soup...he thinks
> the small pieces of mushrooms are tuna....

I chop the mushrooms in my Magic Bullet. When I knife chopped them and left
larger pieces, Angela freaked. She thinks she does not like mushrooms.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Ummm... isn't he agreeing?
>>>
>>> I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
>>> double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
>>> and I cannot wait!
>>>
>>> PP
>>>

>> I use Frozen peas in my Tuna Casserole. I would love to do
>> mushrooms...but hubby does not like them...but I do us Cream of mushroom
>> soup...he thinks the small pieces of mushrooms are tuna....

> I chop the mushrooms in my Magic Bullet. When I knife chopped them and
> left larger pieces, Angela freaked. She thinks she does not like
> mushrooms.

A Mom has got to what she needs to do...LOL. I read somewhere that allot of
Mom's are very creative when it comes making sure their kids get their
veggies

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,

>>> Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
>>> thing.

>> Ummm... isn't he agreeing?
>>
>> I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
>> double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
>> and I cannot wait!

> My husband likes peas in tuna casserole. But the tuna casserole he likes
> has regular wheat and egg pasta and cream of mushroom soup in it. Angela
> and I can't have that kind. I used a rice and quinoa blend pasta and had
> to make my own mushroom soup. I think that's the part he didn't like.
> And perhaps the fact that I used canned tuna. We've gotten used to the
> kind in the pouch and personally I think it tastes a LOT better.

I like the pouch Salmon...for Salmon Patties...don't think I have had the
pouched Tuna. My husband likes the pouched Smoked Salmon to munch on. The
only way I can eat Salmon is in Patties.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> I like the pouch Salmon...for Salmon Patties...don't think I have had the
> pouched Tuna. My husband likes the pouched Smoked Salmon to munch on. The
> only way I can eat Salmon is in Patties.

Blech. My mom used to make them with the canned salmon. I don't like
salmon in most cases. I did make some little tea sandwiches years ago that
had salmon and pineapple in them and I actually liked those but they tasted
like tuna to me and not salmon.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>>
>>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> In article >,

>>> I use Frozen peas in my Tuna Casserole. I would love to do
>>> mushrooms...but hubby does not like them...but I do us Cream of mushroom
>>> soup...he thinks the small pieces of mushrooms are tuna....

>> I chop the mushrooms in my Magic Bullet. When I knife chopped them and
>> left larger pieces, Angela freaked. She thinks she does not like
>> mushrooms.
>>

> A Mom has got to what she needs to do...LOL. I read somewhere that allot
> of Mom's are very creative when it comes making sure their kids get their
> veggies

Yes. There are a few she will eat willingly and will eat those every day.
But she needs more variety.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "Julie Bove" > wrote:

: > "percy" > wrote in message
: > ...
: > > Julie Bove wrote:
: > >> I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one
: > >> of my favorite vegetables.
: > >>
: > >
: > > snip
: > >>
: > >> Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
: > >> left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.
: > >>
: > >> But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
: > >> yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.
: > >
: > > Peas and pearl onions in bechamel sauce. Memories of my childhood.
: > >
: > > I adore peas. Hot, cold, pease porridge, soup... Definitely a required
: > > addition to tuna casserole no matter what, IMO.
: >
: > Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
: > thing.

: Ummm... isn't he agreeing?

: I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
: double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
: and I cannot wait!

: PP

I love peas but generally don't eat the shelled kind anymore. In season I
do eat the sugar snap peas which are eaten pod and all. they are elcious
and the starch pea is only a small part of the whoe thing so it doesn't do
a number on my bgs. Tht season is also coing up fast:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: My husband likes peas in tuna casserole. But the tuna casserole he likes
: has regular wheat and egg pasta and cream of mushroom soup in it. Angela
: and I can't have that kind. I used a rice and quinoa blend pasta and had to
: make my own mushroom soup. I think that's the part he didn't like. And
: perhaps the fact that I used canned tuna. We've gotten used to the kind in
: the pouch and personally I think it tastes a LOT better.

As to the noodles, coul dyou make the cassarole withut noodles and make up
two batches of noodles, one for you husband and one, rice quinoa, for you
and Angela an dspoon the cassarole onto the noodles?

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,

>>> Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
>>> thing.

>> Ummm... isn't he agreeing?
>>
>> I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
>> double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
>> and I cannot wait!

> My husband likes peas in tuna casserole. But the tuna casserole he likes
> has regular wheat and egg pasta and cream of mushroom soup in it. Angela
> and I can't have that kind. I used a rice and quinoa blend pasta and had
> to make my own mushroom soup. I think that's the part he didn't like.
> And perhaps the fact that I used canned tuna. We've gotten used to the
> kind in the pouch and personally I think it tastes a LOT better.

I would agree with you that the pouch tuna is better.

About the home made mushroom soup, try this;

Cook and reserve your mushrooms or else just finely chop them in your
processor.

Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a saucepan
Add some flour, salt and pepper to it to soak up all the butter.
Now add a generous amount of cold milk to that and a chicken bouillion cube
and stir over heat till it thickens.
Add in your sauteed or finely chopped mushrooms and cook for a minute or two
more.

This ought to taste as good or better than the canned stuff.

If you can't use the flour, I would suggest using corn starch or arrowroot
powder dissolved in a little water first, and adding that to the hot milk to
thicken.
--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : My husband likes peas in tuna casserole. But the tuna casserole he
> likes
> : has regular wheat and egg pasta and cream of mushroom soup in it.
> Angela
> : and I can't have that kind. I used a rice and quinoa blend pasta and
> had to
> : make my own mushroom soup. I think that's the part he didn't like. And
> : perhaps the fact that I used canned tuna. We've gotten used to the kind
> in
> : the pouch and personally I think it tastes a LOT better.
>
> As to the noodles, coul dyou make the cassarole withut noodles and make up
> two batches of noodles, one for you husband and one, rice quinoa, for you
> and Angela an dspoon the cassarole onto the noodles?

Nope. I won't bring any gluten pasta into the house. Too much chance of
cross contamination. And I have a severe egg allergy so I won't touch the
stuff.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Ummm... isn't he agreeing?
>>>
>>> I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
>>> double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
>>> and I cannot wait!

>> My husband likes peas in tuna casserole. But the tuna casserole he likes
>> has regular wheat and egg pasta and cream of mushroom soup in it. Angela
>> and I can't have that kind. I used a rice and quinoa blend pasta and had
>> to make my own mushroom soup. I think that's the part he didn't like.
>> And perhaps the fact that I used canned tuna. We've gotten used to the
>> kind in the pouch and personally I think it tastes a LOT better.

> I would agree with you that the pouch tuna is better.
>
> About the home made mushroom soup, try this;
>
> Cook and reserve your mushrooms or else just finely chop them in your
> processor.
>
> Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a saucepan
> Add some flour, salt and pepper to it to soak up all the butter.
> Now add a generous amount of cold milk to that and a chicken bouillion
> cube and stir over heat till it thickens.
> Add in your sauteed or finely chopped mushrooms and cook for a minute or
> two more.
>
> This ought to taste as good or better than the canned stuff.
>
> If you can't use the flour, I would suggest using corn starch or arrowroot
> powder dissolved in a little water first, and adding that to the hot milk
> to thicken.

We are allergic to butter, milk and flour. If we could eat that stuff, I'd
just buy the canned.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
> : double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
> : and I cannot wait!
>
> : PP
>
> I love peas but generally don't eat the shelled kind anymore. In season I
> do eat the sugar snap peas which are eaten pod and all. they are elcious
> and the starch pea is only a small part of the whoe thing so it doesn't do
> a number on my bgs. Tht season is also coing up fast:-)

Here is yet another area in which I am an odd duck. I love spring
shelled peas. I love pea pods. I cannot stand sugar snap peas. I do
not understand this, but it is true.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"Jacquie" > wrote:
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
> > I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
> > double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
> > and I cannot wait!
> >
> > PP
> >

> I use Frozen peas in my Tuna Casserole. I would love to do mushrooms...but
> hubby does not like them...but I do us Cream of mushroom soup...he thinks
> the small pieces of mushrooms are tuna....

What he doesn't know won't hurt him. :-)

Peas are a vegetable that, I think, comes in three varieties, each of
which has their virtues: fresh, frozen, and canned.

The canned pea is, IMO, entirely unlike the other two. For me, it
carries memories of childhood. It is food for when you've been sick and
need some comfort -- a role similar to that of Junket Rennet Custard.
Le Seure (sp?) are the best.

The frozen pea goes into casseroles like tuna, and dishes like chicken
pie or chicken (or turkey) and dumplings. It can also be served just
hotted up and not overcooked with a pat of butter at Thanksgiving or
some other meal when roasted poultry is served. Secondarily it may
accompany roast lamb.

Now, the fresh pea, that's an entirely different animal. It is lovingly
separated from its pod and placed with its siblings and cousins and
neighbors into a small pot. Boiling water, salt, and a teensy bit of
sugar is added, and the lot is simmered until the biggest pea is just
cooked. Quickly drained (the liquid saved for soup), a blob of butter
is added, the lot shaken to get the butter distributed, and then they
are served out into sauce dishes, one per eater. This ritual may mean
that the rest of dinner waits for the peas, but that's fine because
these are, after all, FRESH PEAS. They are eaten with reverence,
spooned up and allowed to pop between the tongue and the roof of the
mouth, little bundles of flavor and sweetness.

PP, who likes her fresh peas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> news
>> > I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
>> > double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
>> > and I cannot wait!
>> >
>> > PP
>> >

>> I use Frozen peas in my Tuna Casserole. I would love to do
>> mushrooms...but
>> hubby does not like them...but I do us Cream of mushroom soup...he thinks
>> the small pieces of mushrooms are tuna....

> What he doesn't know won't hurt him. :-)
>
> Peas are a vegetable that, I think, comes in three varieties, each of
> which has their virtues: fresh, frozen, and canned.
>
> The canned pea is, IMO, entirely unlike the other two. For me, it
> carries memories of childhood. It is food for when you've been sick and
> need some comfort -- a role similar to that of Junket Rennet Custard.
> Le Seure (sp?) are the best.
>
> The frozen pea goes into casseroles like tuna, and dishes like chicken
> pie or chicken (or turkey) and dumplings. It can also be served just
> hotted up and not overcooked with a pat of butter at Thanksgiving or
> some other meal when roasted poultry is served. Secondarily it may
> accompany roast lamb.
>
> Now, the fresh pea, that's an entirely different animal. It is lovingly
> separated from its pod and placed with its siblings and cousins and
> neighbors into a small pot. Boiling water, salt, and a teensy bit of
> sugar is added, and the lot is simmered until the biggest pea is just
> cooked. Quickly drained (the liquid saved for soup), a blob of butter
> is added, the lot shaken to get the butter distributed, and then they
> are served out into sauce dishes, one per eater. This ritual may mean
> that the rest of dinner waits for the peas, but that's fine because
> these are, after all, FRESH PEAS. They are eaten with reverence,
> spooned up and allowed to pop between the tongue and the roof of the
> mouth, little bundles of flavor and sweetness.
>
> PP, who likes her fresh peas

Great post! You just about covered it all!

--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
[...]

I always found it hard to cok fresh peas, as during the shelling period
everyne kept comign into the kitchen and eating them, raw, from the bowl.
How do ou get them to last to get into the pot?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>> : I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
>> : double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
>> : and I cannot wait!
>>
>> : PP
>>
>> I love peas but generally don't eat the shelled kind anymore. In season
>> do eat the sugar snap peas which are eaten pod and all. they are elcious
>> and the starch pea is only a small part of the whoe thing so it doesn't
>> do
>> a number on my bgs. Tht season is also coing up fast:-)

> Here is yet another area in which I am an odd duck. I love spring
> shelled peas. I love pea pods. I cannot stand sugar snap peas. I do
> not understand this, but it is true.

Sugar snap are just okay in my book. Not bad but not as good as the other.
I also like the pods of the shelled peas.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> I always found it hard to cok fresh peas, as during the shelling period
> everyne kept comign into the kitchen and eating them, raw, from the bowl.
> How do ou get them to last to get into the pot?

Yeah. I'm lucky to have one serving by the time they are cooked.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : > Peas are a vegetable that, I think, comes in three varieties, each of
> : > which has their virtues: fresh, frozen, and canned.
> : >
> : > The canned pea is, IMO, entirely unlike the other two. For me, it
> : > carries memories of childhood. It is food for when you've been sick
> and
> : > need some comfort -- a role similar to that of Junket Rennet Custard.
> : > Le Seure (sp?) are the best.
> : >
> : > The frozen pea goes into casseroles like tuna, and dishes like chicken
> : > pie or chicken (or turkey) and dumplings. It can also be served just
> : > hotted up and not overcooked with a pat of butter at Thanksgiving or
> : > some other meal when roasted poultry is served. Secondarily it may
> : > accompany roast lamb.
> : >
> : > Now, the fresh pea, that's an entirely different animal. It is
> lovingly
> : > separated from its pod and placed with its siblings and cousins and
> : > neighbors into a small pot. Boiling water, salt, and a teensy bit of
> : > sugar is added, and the lot is simmered until the biggest pea is just
> : > cooked. Quickly drained (the liquid saved for soup), a blob of butter
> : > is added, the lot shaken to get the butter distributed, and then they
> : > are served out into sauce dishes, one per eater. This ritual may mean
> : > that the rest of dinner waits for the peas, but that's fine because
> : > these are, after all, FRESH PEAS. They are eaten with reverence,
> : > spooned up and allowed to pop between the tongue and the roof of the
> : > mouth, little bundles of flavor and sweetness.
> : >
> : > PP, who likes her fresh peas
>

> : Great post! You just about covered it all!
> : Evelyn
>
> I always found it hard to cok fresh peas, as during the shelling period
> everyne kept comign into the kitchen and eating them, raw, from the bowl.
> How do ou get them to last to get into the pot?
>
> Wendy

I either do them myself, or I just use frozen peas. I always have a bag of
frozen peas in my freezer to toss a handful into this or that soup or stew.

--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : Great post! You just about covered it all!
> : Evelyn
>
> I always found it hard to cok fresh peas, as during the shelling period
> everyne kept comign into the kitchen and eating them, raw, from the bowl.
> How do ou get them to last to get into the pot?

I live alone. ;-)

PP

Two Peas In A Pod Brooklyn1 General Cooking 25 06-04-2013 05:42 PM
Peas and Bacon Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 3 01-04-2013 10:28 PM
peas A Moose In Love General Cooking 19 20-07-2010 09:54 PM
peas and thank you Julia Altshuler General Cooking 15 05-07-2004 09:11 PM
peas and thank you Julia Altshuler General Cooking 5 02-07-2004 06:53 PM