Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonights dinner for guests

Chicken Marsala
Spinach Lasagna (for the vegetarians in the group)
Big tossed salad
Brussels sprouts with lemon-parsley-butter.

Dessert ??? Someone is bringing something. I have some fruit I can eat if
it is something too naughty for me.

--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> Chicken Marsala
> Spinach Lasagna (for the vegetarians in the group)
> Big tossed salad
> Brussels sprouts with lemon-parsley-butter.
>
> Dessert ??? Someone is bringing something. I have some fruit I can eat
> if it is something too naughty for me.

Sounds good.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sounds Yummy ....Would you care to share your Chicken Marsala recipe ?
Jacquie
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> Chicken Marsala
> Spinach Lasagna (for the vegetarians in the group)
> Big tossed salad
> Brussels sprouts with lemon-parsley-butter.
>
> Dessert ??? Someone is bringing something. I have some fruit I can eat
> if it is something too naughty for me.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is,
> having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may
> well burst into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> Sounds Yummy ....Would you care to share your Chicken Marsala recipe ?
> Jacquie

Why certainly. It is an awesome recipe and everyone likes it.
All ingredients are approximate and flexible.

Evelyn's Chicken Marsala

2 huge chicken breasts, cut in half laterally, making 4 filets or more.

(or pounded out thin, if your butcher will do that for you.)

2 eggs - beaten

white flour

Salt and Pepper

1 can of chicken broth, (or water with knorr bouillion cube)

¾ cup of Marsala wine and ¼ cup of lemon juice.

(use cheap Marsala or you will ruin the dish. I use Cribari or other cooking
Marsala).

A box of mushrooms, sliced up.

Approximately ½ cup (or more) of olive oil for frying.

In a large frying pan, pour in the oil (at least ½ cup) and begin to heat
up.

Salt and pepper the chicken breasts, then dredge in flour on all sides, then
dip into the beaten eggs to coat all over, then place gently into the hot
pan to brown.

When the chicken fillets are nicely browned on both sides, remove to a plate
while you prepare the sauce.

Put all the sliced mushrooms into the same fry pan, (adding a bit more oil
if needed). Sautee the mushrooms a few minutes.

Place a few spoonfuls of flour into the fry pan and make sure it soaks up
the oil. (I use the leftover flour I dredged the chicken in before dipping
it into the egg). It cannot be dry or white appearing, but must be all
dampened with the oil.

Now add all the liquids at once, on top of the mushrooms, flour and oil..
wine, chicken broth, lemon juice... and stir constantly over the heat till
thickened slightly.

Put the browned chicken breasts back into the pan with the sauce, cover and
simmer for 10 minutes or so, till they are fully cooked through.

Serve over rice. I recommend Basmati white rice cooked in an open
microwave dish.

We used 1 cup of rice and 2 ½ cups of water, and microwaved it on high,
uncovered for about 18 minutes. Fluff with a fork after it is done.

NOTE ; you don't have to serve it with rice. For diabetic adaptation just
let the gravy reduce a little more and just serve the sauce over the chicken
pieces.

ENJOY!

--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thank You Evelyn
Jacquie
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Sounds Yummy ....Would you care to share your Chicken Marsala recipe ?
>> Jacquie

> Why certainly. It is an awesome recipe and everyone likes it.
> All ingredients are approximate and flexible.
>

> Evelyn's Chicken Marsala
>

> 2 huge chicken breasts, cut in half laterally, making 4 filets or more.
>
> (or pounded out thin, if your butcher will do that for you.)
>
> 2 eggs - beaten
>
> white flour
>
> Salt and Pepper
>

> 1 can of chicken broth, (or water with knorr bouillion cube)
>
> ¾ cup of Marsala wine and ¼ cup of lemon juice.
>
> (use cheap Marsala or you will ruin the dish. I use Cribari or other
> cooking Marsala).
>

> A box of mushrooms, sliced up.
>
> Approximately ½ cup (or more) of olive oil for frying.
>

> In a large frying pan, pour in the oil (at least ½ cup) and begin to heat
> up.
>

> Salt and pepper the chicken breasts, then dredge in flour on all sides,
> then dip into the beaten eggs to coat all over, then place gently into the
> hot pan to brown.
>

> When the chicken fillets are nicely browned on both sides, remove to a
> plate while you prepare the sauce.
>

> Put all the sliced mushrooms into the same fry pan, (adding a bit more oil
> if needed). Sautee the mushrooms a few minutes.
>

> Place a few spoonfuls of flour into the fry pan and make sure it soaks up
> the oil. (I use the leftover flour I dredged the chicken in before
> dipping it into the egg). It cannot be dry or white appearing, but must
> be all dampened with the oil.
>

> Now add all the liquids at once, on top of the mushrooms, flour and oil..
> wine, chicken broth, lemon juice... and stir constantly over the heat till
> thickened slightly.
>

> Put the browned chicken breasts back into the pan with the sauce, cover
> and simmer for 10 minutes or so, till they are fully cooked through.
>

> Serve over rice. I recommend Basmati white rice cooked in an open
> microwave dish.
>
> We used 1 cup of rice and 2 ½ cups of water, and microwaved it on high,
> uncovered for about 18 minutes. Fluff with a fork after it is done.
>

> NOTE ; you don't have to serve it with rice. For diabetic adaptation
> just let the gravy reduce a little more and just serve the sauce over the
> chicken pieces.
>
> ENJOY!
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is,
> having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may
> well burst into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-arhive: yes

Evelyn wrote:

> To each lb of ricotta cheese you plan to use, add one egg and 1/2 cup of
> grated Romano cheese.
>
> I always added a box of frozen spinach to this mixture. I microwave
> the spinach till it is done, then squeeze out as much water as possible
> with a small colander before blending it in to the ricotta mixture.

I always do this, too.

> I make my lasagna with fresh pasta sheets. My lady friend advised me
> that although they tell you that you can use the sheets of fresh pasta
> without cooking ahead, she likes to dip them into a pan of hot water for
> a moment before putting them into the lasagna pan. This allows the corn
> meal to come off them, and softens them quite nicely. I swear it
> improves the taste somehow!
>
> Of course the layer after the ricotta cheese/spinach layer has only
> sauce and mozzarella cheese in it, and you finish up with that as the
> top layer.
>
> Another tip.... loosely tent some aluminum foil over the top of the
> lasagna throughout the cooking time (varies according to pan size, but
> usually 45 minutes at 350) and only uncover it to brown for a moment at
> the end, or else the cheese on top will burn. In fact my friend only
> adds top layer of mozzarella only after uncovering it, so it just gets
> good and melted, with only minimal browning.

I do the foil thing, too, so it doesn't get dried out and crusty.

> Lasagna freezes very well. I assemble the whole thing, top it with
> press and seal, then put a final topper of foil over that. Of course
> before baking you remove the plastic wrap first and replace the foil for
> tenting loosely over the dish.
>
> Don't freeze or bake the lasagna with the aluminum foil touching the
> top. The tomato sauce dissolves some of the foil. You don't want to
> eat that! That is why I use the plastic wrap under it for freezing.
>
> If you can't get fresh pasta sheets, then instead use Barilla no boil
> sheets. They work out very well. The recipe on the box is essentially
> similar to my recipe.

I use Barilla, and I make only two pasta layers, too, in order to cut
the carbs. I used to make three layers and throw out half of mine, but
Tom low carbs now, too.

> If you want to make a meat lasagna instead of vegetarian, I have found
> that the best meat for the job is ground turkey, which you would cook
> beforehand, right in the sauce. I always keep some plain sauce aside,
> for the bottom and top of the dish, since you don't want meat on the
> very bottom or on the very top.

I hate ground turkey in anything. My favorite meat to add is a lb of
browned Italian sausage, which I mix into the cheese mixture.

Sounds.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message
> x-no-arhive: yes
>
> Evelyn wrote:
>
>> To each lb of ricotta cheese you plan to use, add one egg and 1/2 cup of
>> grated Romano cheese.
>>
>> I always added a box of frozen spinach to this mixture. I microwave the
>> spinach till it is done, then squeeze out as much water as possible with
>> a small colander before blending it in to the ricotta mixture.

> I always do this, too.
>

>> I make my lasagna with fresh pasta sheets. My lady friend advised me
>> that although they tell you that you can use the sheets of fresh pasta
>> without cooking ahead, she likes to dip them into a pan of hot water for
>> a moment before putting them into the lasagna pan. This allows the corn
>> meal to come off them, and softens them quite nicely. I swear it
>> improves the taste somehow!
>>
>> Of course the layer after the ricotta cheese/spinach layer has only sauce
>> and mozzarella cheese in it, and you finish up with that as the top
>> layer.
>>
>> Another tip.... loosely tent some aluminum foil over the top of the
>> lasagna throughout the cooking time (varies according to pan size, but
>> usually 45 minutes at 350) and only uncover it to brown for a moment at
>> the end, or else the cheese on top will burn. In fact my friend only
>> adds top layer of mozzarella only after uncovering it, so it just gets
>> good and melted, with only minimal browning.

> I do the foil thing, too, so it doesn't get dried out and crusty.
>

>> Lasagna freezes very well. I assemble the whole thing, top it with
>> press and seal, then put a final topper of foil over that. Of course
>> before baking you remove the plastic wrap first and replace the foil for
>> tenting loosely over the dish.
>>
>> Don't freeze or bake the lasagna with the aluminum foil touching the top.
>> The tomato sauce dissolves some of the foil. You don't want to eat
>> that! That is why I use the plastic wrap under it for freezing.
>>
>> If you can't get fresh pasta sheets, then instead use Barilla no boil
>> sheets. They work out very well. The recipe on the box is essentially
>> similar to my recipe.

> I use Barilla, and I make only two pasta layers, too, in order to cut the
> carbs. I used to make three layers and throw out half of mine, but Tom
> low carbs now, too.
>

>> If you want to make a meat lasagna instead of vegetarian, I have found
>> that the best meat for the job is ground turkey, which you would cook
>> beforehand, right in the sauce. I always keep some plain sauce aside,
>> for the bottom and top of the dish, since you don't want meat on the very
>> bottom or on the very top.
>>

> I hate ground turkey in anything. My favorite meat to add is a lb of
> browned Italian sausage, which I mix into the cheese mixture.

I probably wouldn't like that at all (sausage in the cheese layer). But
the rest sounds good. The traditional way is to put the meat (if any) in
with the sauce and mozzarella layer. But if you like it, then for you it
is good. :-)

--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I hate ground turkey too...I have found ground chicken is much less rich. I
used ground chicken in chicken tacos if I don't feel like boiling and
shredding chicken. My local grocery store carries a chicken Italian sausage
which is quite tasty. I haven't made home made lasagna in years......this
sounds yummy