Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What do I do with a pastrami?

: "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message :
... : > Evelyn wrote: : >>
"Jacquie" > wrote in message : >>
m... : >>> I use
calphalon frying and saut? pans and love them. I use the nonstick : >>>
ones. They might be a bit costly but they also last a long time. I also :
>>> have decided one pot at a time when needed instead of buying the whole

: >>> set. : >>> Jacquie : >> : >> Speaking of odd pots, I found a
wonderful Humongous size soup pot. Way : >> bigger than I really need,
and it works out fine for me. I used to make : >> a pot of soup and
always run out of space. This one is just fine when : >> it is half full.
It's a big wide rather than deep, with a glass lid. : >> Stainless Steel
and no coatings of any kind. There is no set of pots : >> that would ever
come with that pot! I could cook lobsters in it if I : >> wanted, (but I
don't do lobsters myself. I let the store steam them and : >> then I pick
them up all cooked!) : > : > LOL Evelyn : > : > sounds like the 'soup pot'
we have, well, ok, it's a 'canning pot' but : > it's great for making soup
: > : > it's over 12 inches wide and about 15 inches tall........... by
time i : > strain the bones and veggies i put in to make the broth, i'm
left with 1/2 : > a pot of gelatinized broth that i add veggies and ? wild
rice, barley, : > basmati rice? whichever to, oh, and the original meat
that went with the : > bones : > : >

kate I have an, I think, 12 quart soup pot, stainless with teh aluminum
cookie on the bottom. It is one of those Macy's "Tools of the Trade" pots
I have mentioned. I love it for soup as it makes a great quantity. nce I
make soup I want enough for days or for freezing for later days. It seems
to take alwost the me time to make 5-6 quarts as to make the usual 2 that
recipes seem to make.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Nicky wrote:
: >> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:50:39 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:
: >>
: >>> a mister would mean using LESS olive oil while getting BETTER coverage
: >>> on the pan
: >>>
: >>> (me goes to make 'Christmas Wish List')
: >>
: >> I have an oil mister I bought as a house-plant water mister from the
: >> local garden shop for about a pound... Nicky.
: >> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
: >> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
: >> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
: >
: > oh kewl, and the mister doesn't clog up?
: >
: > i haven't ever seen a 'Olive Oil Mister' either, though
: >
: > kate

: Kate I have one. It is called a "Misto" and they can be bought at kitchen
: supply stores.
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

I have had mistos and found they didn't work after a short while and
leaked and were messy. I use the pour a little and wipe method now.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:22:00 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>Nicky wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:50:39 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:
>>
>>> a mister would mean using LESS olive oil while getting BETTER coverage
>>> on the pan
>>>
>>> (me goes to make 'Christmas Wish List')

>> I have an oil mister I bought as a house-plant water mister from the
>> local garden shop for about a pound...

>oh kewl, and the mister doesn't clog up?

Well, it didn't when I was using it... it's a bit dusty now :P

One weird thing I've noticed, is that I use very much less coconut oil
than either olive oil or butter when I'm frying. The coconut seems to
spread out more; I might use a third less to get the same
non-stick/crispy effect.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> I do the same thing. Fat phobia went out with whatsername.... Susan
>> Powter. Remember her?

> Barely.

She scared me!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I do the same thing. Fat phobia went out with whatsername.... Susan
>>> Powter. Remember her?

>> Barely.

> She scared me!

She fooled a lot of people. She insisted that eliminating every single
morsel of oil or fat out of your diet would make you lose weight. It
worked, but who could live like that? Fat is what our hormones are created
from. Without any oils or fats your body would not do well.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Barely.

>> She scared me!

> She fooled a lot of people. She insisted that eliminating every single
> morsel of oil or fat out of your diet would make you lose weight. It
> worked, but who could live like that? Fat is what our hormones are
> created from. Without any oils or fats your body would not do well.

I lived like that for many years but it was not because of her. It was Dean
Ornish.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message speaking of Susan Powter

>> She fooled a lot of people. She insisted that eliminating every single
>> morsel of oil or fat out of your diet would make you lose weight. It
>> worked, but who could live like that? Fat is what our hormones are
>> created from. Without any oils or fats your body would not do well.

And people had their hair falling out like crazy too.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message speaking of Susan
>> Powter

>>> She fooled a lot of people. She insisted that eliminating every single
>>> morsel of oil or fat out of your diet would make you lose weight. It
>>> worked, but who could live like that? Fat is what our hormones are
>>> created from. Without any oils or fats your body would not do well.

> And people had their hair falling out like crazy too.
>
> Cheri

It was bizarre but some lost weight on it. No one could live that way
forever.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message speaking of Susan
>> Powter

>>> She fooled a lot of people. She insisted that eliminating every single
>>> morsel of oil or fat out of your diet would make you lose weight. It
>>> worked, but who could live like that? Fat is what our hormones are
>>> created from. Without any oils or fats your body would not do well.

> And people had their hair falling out like crazy too.

Is that why she had that weird short hair?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message speaking of Susan
>> Powter

>>> She fooled a lot of people. She insisted that eliminating every single
>>> morsel of oil or fat out of your diet would make you lose weight. It
>>> worked, but who could live like that? Fat is what our hormones are
>>> created from. Without any oils or fats your body would not do well.

> And people had their hair falling out like crazy too.
>
> Cheri

When I was first diagnosed I lowered my carbs and fat...I was probably
eating like 5 % of fat in my diet a day...my hair did fall out...it was
already thin from my adrenal problem....but the low fat diet made me look
like a chemo patient. My sister who is a RN at a local hospital brought it
up to a couple of Dr's...they told her to tell me to go back to 25% or 30%
of fat a day...after a couple of month I could lower it again but only by a
few grams......My hair grew back but is still thin....I told my daughter
...the hair Dresser to practice her hairpiece or wig skills...LOL.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message news:4oadnfF-

> When I was first diagnosed I lowered my carbs and fat...I was probably
> eating like 5 % of fat in my diet a day...my hair did fall out...it was
> already thin from my adrenal problem....but the low fat diet made me look
> like a chemo patient. My sister who is a RN at a local hospital brought it
> up to a couple of Dr's...they told her to tell me to go back to 25% or 30%
> of fat a day...after a couple of month I could lower it again but only by
> a few grams......My hair grew back but is still thin....I told my daughter
> ..the hair Dresser to practice her hairpiece or wig skills...LOL.

Yes, it was sort of the same thing with me and the people I knew during that
time. It has grown back these many years, but it's still thin as well when
it didn't used to be.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message news:4oadnfF-
>
>> When I was first diagnosed I lowered my carbs and fat...I was probably
>> eating like 5 % of fat in my diet a day...my hair did fall out...it was
>> already thin from my adrenal problem....but the low fat diet made me look
>> like a chemo patient. My sister who is a RN at a local hospital brought
>> it up to a couple of Dr's...they told her to tell me to go back to 25% or
>> 30% of fat a day...after a couple of month I could lower it again but
>> only by a few grams......My hair grew back but is still thin....I told my
>> daughter ..the hair Dresser to practice her hairpiece or wig
>> skills...LOL.

> Yes, it was sort of the same thing with me and the people I knew during
> that time. It has grown back these many years, but it's still thin as well
> when it didn't used to be.

Hmmm... I wonder if that's my problem. I do get some fat in my diet but
most of the time it is naturally low in fat based on what I prefer to eat.
Dieticians are always telling me to add some fat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> Nicky wrote:

>>> I have an oil mister I bought as a house-plant water mister from the
>>> local garden shop for about a pound... Nicky.
>>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>>> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>>> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

>> oh kewl, and the mister doesn't clog up?
>>
>> i haven't ever seen a 'Olive Oil Mister' either, though
>>
>> kate

> Kate I have one. It is called a "Misto" and they can be bought at
> kitchen supply stores.

oh Evelyn, the problem is ............. i have NO idea who those stores
would be................... guess i better phone my SIL, eh?

ta

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> She scared me!

>> She fooled a lot of people. She insisted that eliminating every
>> single morsel of oil or fat out of your diet would make you lose
>> weight. It worked, but who could live like that? Fat is what our
>> hormones are created from. Without any oils or fats your body
>> would not do well.

> I lived like that for many years but it was not because of her. It
> was Dean Ornish.

Pritikin's original diet was like that. Yes heart patients improved their
health after their heart attacks becasue they were eating better and
exercising but eventually the no fat failed them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:

>>> oh kewl, and the mister doesn't clog up?
>>>
>>> i haven't ever seen a 'Olive Oil Mister' either, though
>>>
>>> kate

>> Kate I have one. It is called a "Misto" and they can be bought at
>> kitchen supply stores.
>>

> oh Evelyn, the problem is ............. i have NO idea who those stores
> would be................... guess i better phone my SIL, eh?
>
> ta
>
> kate

Kate, I thought my bad experience with the Misto was unique but it seems
that others also had difficulties with it. Almost everyone who replied
here about it said that they eventually gave up on the gadget, and now they
just put a small amount of oil in the pan and spread it around manually
rather than use the Misto. So maybe you ought to not bother with it?

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:37:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Hmmm... I wonder if that's my problem. I do get some fat in my diet but
>most of the time it is naturally low in fat based on what I prefer to eat.
>Dieticians are always telling me to add some fat.

Linked to thyroid as well, of course.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn wrote:

>>> Kate I have one. It is called a "Misto" and they can be bought at
>>> kitchen supply stores.
>>>

>> oh Evelyn, the problem is ............. i have NO idea who those
>> stores would be................... guess i better phone my SIL, eh?
>>
>> ta
>>
>> kate

> Kate, I thought my bad experience with the Misto was unique but it seems
> that others also had difficulties with it. Almost everyone who replied
> here about it said that they eventually gave up on the gadget, and now
> they just put a small amount of oil in the pan and spread it around
> manually rather than use the Misto. So maybe you ought to not bother
> with it?

ya, that was the conclusion i came to as well

presently, i pour a touch of olive oil in the pan, then use a kleenex to
'spread it' evenly

it works

kate

pastrami Pico Rico Barbecue 4 05-11-2010 06:44 PM
pastrami for NB modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 6 02-12-2008 09:33 PM
Thank you Dee!! Pastrami Nancy Young General Cooking 16 29-01-2006 09:33 PM
Pastrami Mike \Piedmont\ Recipes (moderated) 0 04-11-2005 03:06 AM