Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Craving onion soup.

I used to make a faux French Onion soup that was really good. Haven't made
it in years. I think I used olive oil to sauté the onions. They were
cooked until they were a very dark caramel. I then added beef broth, black
pepper and probably parsley.

In the soup mugs, I put a few small cubes of toasted bread, and a good
sprinkle of cheese. The cheese I used varied, but it was often something
Italian like Asiago because this is what I could get at the commissary. The
soup was then ladled over. I didn't bake it in the oven.

I can't eat this now because I can't have dairy and I don't think my rice
cheese would work very well in this. But it might. Can't have soy either
so soy cheese is out. Have been looking online and all of the onion soup
recipes I see have dairy in some form, or egg and I can't have egg either.

Does anyone have an onion soup that doesn't contain dairy, egg or soy?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: I used to make a faux French Onion soup that was really good. Haven't made
: it in years. I think I used olive oil to saut? the onions. They were
: cooked until they were a very dark caramel. I then added beef broth, black
: pepper and probably parsley.

: In the soup mugs, I put a few small cubes of toasted bread, and a good
: sprinkle of cheese. The cheese I used varied, but it was often something
: Italian like Asiago because this is what I could get at the commissary. The
: soup was then ladled over. I didn't bake it in the oven.

: I can't eat this now because I can't have dairy and I don't think my rice
: cheese would work very well in this. But it might. Can't have soy either
: so soy cheese is out. Have been looking online and all of the onion soup
: recipes I see have dairy in some form, or egg and I can't have egg either.

: Does anyone have an onion soup that doesn't contain dairy, egg or soy?

: Thanks!

Why not just try it with the caramelized onions, beef brothe adn a few
toast cubes and salt, without the cheese. Maybe not great, but still
prety good.

This is the kind of things kosher cooks do all the time, either beef broth
and no cheese, or a vegetable broth with cheese but not both if you can't
mix meat and milk. In your case you can use the same technique to fit
your allergy considerations.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I used to make a faux French Onion soup that was really good. Haven't made
>it in years. I think I used olive oil to sauté the onions. They were
>cooked until they were a very dark caramel. I then added beef broth, black
>pepper and probably parsley.
>
> In the soup mugs, I put a few small cubes of toasted bread, and a good
> sprinkle of cheese. The cheese I used varied, but it was often something
> Italian like Asiago because this is what I could get at the commissary.
> The soup was then ladled over. I didn't bake it in the oven.
>
> I can't eat this now because I can't have dairy and I don't think my rice
> cheese would work very well in this. But it might. Can't have soy either
> so soy cheese is out. Have been looking online and all of the onion soup
> recipes I see have dairy in some form, or egg and I can't have egg either.
>
> Does anyone have an onion soup that doesn't contain dairy, egg or soy?
>
> Thanks!

You could just eat the soup with a nice crispy crouton or slice of french
bread in it with no cheese.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I used to make a faux French Onion soup that was really good. Haven't
> made
> : it in years. I think I used olive oil to saut? the onions. They were
> : cooked until they were a very dark caramel. I then added beef broth,
> black
> : pepper and probably parsley.
>
> : In the soup mugs, I put a few small cubes of toasted bread, and a good
> : sprinkle of cheese. The cheese I used varied, but it was often
> something
> : Italian like Asiago because this is what I could get at the commissary.
> The
> : soup was then ladled over. I didn't bake it in the oven.
>
> : I can't eat this now because I can't have dairy and I don't think my
> rice
> : cheese would work very well in this. But it might. Can't have soy
> either
> : so soy cheese is out. Have been looking online and all of the onion
> soup
> : recipes I see have dairy in some form, or egg and I can't have egg
> either.
>
> : Does anyone have an onion soup that doesn't contain dairy, egg or soy?
>
> : Thanks!
>
> Why not just try it with the caramelized onions, beef brothe adn a few
> toast cubes and salt, without the cheese. Maybe not great, but still
> prety good.
>
> This is the kind of things kosher cooks do all the time, either beef broth
> and no cheese, or a vegetable broth with cheese but not both if you can't
> mix meat and milk. In your case you can use the same technique to fit
> your allergy considerations.

I would probably not put in the toast. I really see no reason for it
without the cheese. But I guess I could try that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> You could just eat the soup with a nice crispy crouton or slice of french
> bread in it with no cheese.

I don't understand why I would need the bread in there if there were no
cheese. I wouldn't normally put bread in soup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> You could just eat the soup with a nice crispy crouton or slice of french
>> bread in it with no cheese.

> I don't understand why I would need the bread in there if there were no
> cheese. I wouldn't normally put bread in soup.

That's what croutons are for, and they are basically bread.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>> You could just eat the soup with a nice crispy crouton or slice of
>>> french bread in it with no cheese.

>> I don't understand why I would need the bread in there if there were no
>> cheese. I wouldn't normally put bread in soup.

> That's what croutons are for, and they are basically bread.

And maybe I am nuts, but I like my onion soup without the cheese, but I do
like the crouton.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>> You could just eat the soup with a nice crispy crouton or slice of
>>> french bread in it with no cheese.

>> I don't understand why I would need the bread in there if there were no
>> cheese. I wouldn't normally put bread in soup.

> That's what croutons are for, and they are basically bread.

I just don't understand why I would need them in the soup. I thought the
idea of putting the bread in there was to hold the cheese?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> I don't understand why I would need the bread in there if there were no
>>> cheese. I wouldn't normally put bread in soup.

>> That's what croutons are for, and they are basically bread.

> And maybe I am nuts, but I like my onion soup without the cheese, but I do
> like the crouton.

I don't generally like croutons or bread.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

> >> I don't understand why I would need the bread in there if there were no
> >> cheese. I wouldn't normally put bread in soup.

> > That's what croutons are for, and they are basically bread.

> I just don't understand why I would need them in the soup. I thought the
> idea of putting the bread in there was to hold the cheese?

So just eat the soup. Onion soup doesn't have to be served with crouton
and cheese.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> That's what croutons are for, and they are basically bread.

>> And maybe I am nuts, but I like my onion soup without the cheese, but I
>> do like the crouton.

> I don't generally like croutons or bread.

So don't put it in!

Onion soup is good, whether it has the cheese or a crouton or not.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> And maybe I am nuts, but I like my onion soup without the cheese, but I
>>> do like the crouton.

>> I don't generally like croutons or bread.

> So don't put it in!
>
> Onion soup is good, whether it has the cheese or a crouton or not.

Okay. I just never had any that wasn't French Onion and all the recipes I
find for it call for butter to sauté the onions.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > That's what croutons are for, and they are basically bread.

>> I just don't understand why I would need them in the soup. I thought the
>> idea of putting the bread in there was to hold the cheese?

> So just eat the soup. Onion soup doesn't have to be served with crouton
> and cheese.

But all the recipes I see for it call for butter and I can't use that. I
know now that olive oil shouldn't be used at high heat, so I can't use that.
What would I use?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

If you can't use butter use whatever you use to sauté other foods.....
Jacquie
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> I don't generally like croutons or bread.

>> So don't put it in!
>>
>> Onion soup is good, whether it has the cheese or a crouton or not.

> Okay. I just never had any that wasn't French Onion and all the recipes I
> find for it call for butter to sauté the onions.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You really don't need high heat to sauté it is fine on medium. Are there any
other oils you can use? I use Bertolli's Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil....it
can take high heat up to 468 degrees. You don't need that high of heat for
sautéing

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,

>>> I just don't understand why I would need them in the soup. I thought
>>> the
>>> idea of putting the bread in there was to hold the cheese?

>> So just eat the soup. Onion soup doesn't have to be served with crouton
>> and cheese.

> But all the recipes I see for it call for butter and I can't use that. I
> know now that olive oil shouldn't be used at high heat, so I can't use
> that. What would I use?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,

>>> I just don't understand why I would need them in the soup. I
>>> thought the idea of putting the bread in there was to hold the
>>> cheese?

>> So just eat the soup. Onion soup doesn't have to be served with
>> crouton and cheese.

> But all the recipes I see for it call for butter and I can't use
> that. I know now that olive oil shouldn't be used at high heat, so I
> can't use that. What would I use?

I use olive oil for everything. Even frying. Sauteeing, absolutely. I even
use it in cakes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: >
: > So just eat the soup. Onion soup doesn't have to be served with crouton
: > and cheese.

: But all the recipes I see for it call for butter and I can't use that. I
: know now that olive oil shouldn't be used at high heat, so I can't use that.
: What would I use?

Neither should butter as it burnes. Olive oil is what Julia child would
put in to slow the burning of buter insome sautes. turn your burner downa
little!

Just today I made my annual matzo meal pancakes, (uses 1/4 cup of matzo
meal for 2 separated eggs) and needs some butter to taste right, but is
very tricky to keep from burning, so I used a mixture of butter adn
safflower oil. I ahave, inother ears used olive oil, but theone Ihave
this year is very flavorful and I thoug might change the taste of the
pancakes, so I used a neutral tasting oil.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,

>>> I just don't understand why I would need them in the soup. I thought
>>> the
>>> idea of putting the bread in there was to hold the cheese?

>> So just eat the soup. Onion soup doesn't have to be served with crouton
>> and cheese.

> But all the recipes I see for it call for butter and I can't use that. I
> know now that olive oil shouldn't be used at high heat, so I can't use
> that. What would I use?

I would use the olive oil anyway, but just don't use VERY high heat to brown
the onions. Instead cook the onions a very long time to get them to brown.
It will take you longer but you will get the same effect.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> You really don't need high heat to sauté it is fine on medium. Are there
> any other oils you can use? I use Bertolli's Extra Light Tasting Olive
> Oil....it can take high heat up to 468 degrees. You don't need that high
> of heat for sautéing

Jacquie that is exactly the oil I use for sauteeing. I use the extra
virgin olive oil, the greenish one, for salad and many other uses, but for
frying I use the light one.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> If you can't use butter use whatever you use to sauté other foods.....

I don't saute anything.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> You really don't need high heat to sauté it is fine on medium. Are there
> any other oils you can use? I use Bertolli's Extra Light Tasting Olive
> Oil....it can take high heat up to 468 degrees. You don't need that high
> of heat for sautéing

I thought you did.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> I use olive oil for everything. Even frying. Sauteeing, absolutely. I even
> use it in cakes.

Okay, thanks! For some reason I thought that was no longer advised.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : >
> : > So just eat the soup. Onion soup doesn't have to be served with
> crouton
> : > and cheese.
>
> : But all the recipes I see for it call for butter and I can't use that.
> : know now that olive oil shouldn't be used at high heat, so I can't use
> that.
> : What would I use?
>
> Neither should butter as it burnes. Olive oil is what Julia child would
> put in to slow the burning of buter insome sautes. turn your burner downa
> little!
>
> Just today I made my annual matzo meal pancakes, (uses 1/4 cup of matzo
> meal for 2 separated eggs) and needs some butter to taste right, but is
> very tricky to keep from burning, so I used a mixture of butter adn
> safflower oil. I ahave, inother ears used olive oil, but theone Ihave
> this year is very flavorful and I thoug might change the taste of the
> pancakes, so I used a neutral tasting oil.

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> I would use the olive oil anyway, but just don't use VERY high heat to
> brown the onions. Instead cook the onions a very long time to get them to
> brown. It will take you longer but you will get the same effect.

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> If you can't use butter use whatever you use to sauté other
>> foods.....

> I don't sauté anything.

But you used to in your faux onion soup and you used olive oil to do it. Why
don't you just go back to how you used to do it. At least that way you
already know you like it and you are not using butter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> I use olive oil for everything. Even frying. Sautéing, absolutely.
>> I even use it in cakes.

> Okay, thanks! For some reason I thought that was no longer advised.

I don't re-use any oil but if I did I would still choose olive oil because
its hydrogenation is less than other oils. I also choose the strongest
tasting oilive oil I can find becasue I love its flavour. I always slurp
some into spagetti sauce before I serve it as well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> If you can't use butter use whatever you use to sauté other
>>> foods.....

>> I don't sauté anything.

> But you used to in your faux onion soup and you used olive oil to do it.
> Why don't you just go back to how you used to do it. At least that way you
> already know you like it and you are not using butter.

I used to. But as I said in my other post, I quit using olive oil for stuff
like that because I thought I wasn't supposed to.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> I use olive oil for everything. Even frying. Sauteeing, absolutely. I
>> even use it in cakes.

> Okay, thanks! For some reason I thought that was no longer advised.

I'd expect it not to be advised for polyunsaturated oils, since overheating
them can turn a fraction into transfats (worse than saturated fats).

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I used to make a faux French Onion soup that was really good. Haven't
> made
> : it in years. I think I used olive oil to saut? the onions. They were
> : cooked until they were a very dark caramel. I then added beef broth,
> black
> : pepper and probably parsley.
>
> : In the soup mugs, I put a few small cubes of toasted bread, and a good
> : sprinkle of cheese. The cheese I used varied, but it was often
> something
> : Italian like Asiago because this is what I could get at the commissary.
> The
> : soup was then ladled over. I didn't bake it in the oven.
>
> : I can't eat this now because I can't have dairy and I don't think my
> rice
> : cheese would work very well in this. But it might. Can't have soy
> either
> : so soy cheese is out. Have been looking online and all of the onion
> soup
> : recipes I see have dairy in some form, or egg and I can't have egg
> either.
>
> : Does anyone have an onion soup that doesn't contain dairy, egg or soy?
>
> : Thanks!
>
> Why not just try it with the caramelized onions, beef brothe adn a few
> toast cubes and salt, without the cheese. Maybe not great, but still
> prety good.
>
> This is the kind of things kosher cooks do all the time, either beef broth
> and no cheese, or a vegetable broth with cheese but not both if you can't
> mix meat and milk. In your case you can use the same technique to fit
> your allergy considerations.

Then Julie may find this Jewish recipes database useful:

http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/

I don't expect all the recipes to be suitable; but it seems like a good
place to look for recipes that are or can be adapted.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>>> m...
>>>
>>> I don't sauté anything.

>> But you used to in your faux onion soup and you used olive oil to do it.
>> Why don't you just go back to how you used to do it. At least that way
>> you already know you like it and you are not using butter.

> I used to. But as I said in my other post, I quit using olive oil for
> stuff like that because I thought I wasn't supposed to.

Nothing wrong with it.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

use olive oil

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote
> Okay. I just never had any that wasn't French Onion and all the recipes I
> find for it call for butter to sauté the onions.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we explianed that cooking with olive oil on HIGH heat could produce
carcenogens..but regular cooking like scrambling eggs..sauting onions etc is
perfectly safe..just dont use the high setting when cookin with it.

in other words you cant wok fry on high heat with oilive oil.....for that
use a high smokepoint oil ....but for regular cookin oilive oil is fine.

thats why your oven/stove has knobs..lol

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote
> I used to. But as I said in my other post, I quit using olive oil for
> stuff like that because I thought I wasn't supposed to.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

recipes are guidelines now laws and are meant to be altered to suit the
chef...

you can carmalize onions low heat...just takes longer.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote
> But all the recipes I see for it call for butter and I can't use that. I
> know now that olive oil shouldn't be used at high heat, so I can't use
> that. What would I use?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> : I used to make a faux French Onion soup that was really good. Haven't
>> made
>> : it in years. I think I used olive oil to saut? the onions. They were
>> : cooked until they were a very dark caramel. I then added beef broth,
>> black
>> : pepper and probably parsley.
>>
>> : In the soup mugs, I put a few small cubes of toasted bread, and a good
>> : sprinkle of cheese. The cheese I used varied, but it was often
>> something
>> : Italian like Asiago because this is what I could get at the commissary.
>> The
>> : soup was then ladled over. I didn't bake it in the oven.
>>
>> : I can't eat this now because I can't have dairy and I don't think my
>> rice
>> : cheese would work very well in this. But it might. Can't have soy
>> either
>> : so soy cheese is out. Have been looking online and all of the onion
>> soup
>> : recipes I see have dairy in some form, or egg and I can't have egg
>> either.
>>
>> : Does anyone have an onion soup that doesn't contain dairy, egg or soy?
>>
>> : Thanks!
>>
>> Why not just try it with the caramelized onions, beef brothe adn a few
>> toast cubes and salt, without the cheese. Maybe not great, but still
>> prety good.
>>
>> This is the kind of things kosher cooks do all the time, either beef
>> broth
>> and no cheese, or a vegetable broth with cheese but not both if you can't
>> mix meat and milk. In your case you can use the same technique to fit
>> your allergy considerations.
>>

> Then Julie may find this Jewish recipes database useful:
>
> http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/
>
> I don't expect all the recipes to be suitable; but it seems like a good
> place to look for recipes that are or can be adapted.

Yeah, I know of it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> >> m...
> >>
> >> I don't sauté anything.

> > But you used to in your faux onion soup and you used olive oil to do it.
> > Why don't you just go back to how you used to do it. At least that way you
> > already know you like it and you are not using butter.

> I used to. But as I said in my other post, I quit using olive oil for stuff
> like that because I thought I wasn't supposed to.

I think it's still legal. Cook the onions long and slow. You want them
caramelized, not burned.

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > But you used to in your faux onion soup and you used olive oil to do
>> > it.
>> > Why don't you just go back to how you used to do it. At least that way
>> > you
>> > already know you like it and you are not using butter.

>> I used to. But as I said in my other post, I quit using olive oil for
>> stuff
>> like that because I thought I wasn't supposed to.

> I think it's still legal. Cook the onions long and slow. You want them
> caramelized, not burned.

Okay. I stand corrected.

onion soup Gill Smith General Cooking 20 22-10-2012 10:38 PM
I've been craving my chicken tortilla soup ImStillMags General Cooking 6 22-10-2010 12:49 AM
Onion soup mix Nancy Young General Cooking 19 03-09-2005 12:32 AM
Onion soup mix Ophelia General Cooking 1 31-08-2005 09:08 PM
Onion Soup MrFalafel Vegan 8 17-11-2003 11:02 PM