Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Pefect Prime Rib - every time

Perfect prime rib, every time, any size roast.

______________________

Season meat, then allow it to stand at room temperature at least one hour
BEFORE you start roasting.

While the meat is standing, start the oven to heat for at least one hour at
375 degrees.

Now place the meat inside the oven and roast for exactly ONE hour at 375
degrees.

(DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR FOR ANY REASON from beginning to end)

After the meat has roasted for one hour, shut off the oven, but don't open
the door.

Allow meat to remain in the oven for at least two hours, (or even all day if
necessary).

40 minutes before serving, reset the oven to 375 again and roast for the
last 40 minutes.

(no need to preheat or anything, just 40 minutes from starting up to finish)

Remove from the oven and allow meat to rest for about 1/4 hour before
cutting it.

Perfect medium rare every single time.

(seasonings - I used garlic powder, dried thyme leaves, black pepper and
kosher salt)

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> Perfect prime rib, every time, any size roast.

Same amount of time regardless of size of roast?

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>
>> Perfect prime rib, every time, any size roast.

> Same amount of time regardless of size of roast?
>
> Priscilla

Paula's is for 5 lb roast.

1 (5-pound) standing rib roast
1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
Directions
Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Rub roast with House Seasoning; place
roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up.
Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven
door for 3 hours. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to
375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or
re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6
months.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I love Prime Rib...but Wayne won't eat any roast with pink in it..so the
only time I get it is when we go out to eat. This sounds like a great
recipe. Thanks for posting it Evelyn

Jacquie

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> Perfect prime rib, every time, any size roast.
>

> ______________________
>

> Season meat, then allow it to stand at room temperature at least one hour
> BEFORE you start roasting.
>

> While the meat is standing, start the oven to heat for at least one hour
> at 375 degrees.
>

> Now place the meat inside the oven and roast for exactly ONE hour at 375
> degrees.
>

> (DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR FOR ANY REASON from beginning to end)
>

> After the meat has roasted for one hour, shut off the oven, but don't open
> the door.
>

> Allow meat to remain in the oven for at least two hours, (or even all day
> if necessary).
>

> 40 minutes before serving, reset the oven to 375 again and roast for the
> last 40 minutes.
>
> (no need to preheat or anything, just 40 minutes from starting up to
> finish)
>

> Remove from the oven and allow meat to rest for about 1/4 hour before
> cutting it.
>

> Perfect medium rare every single time.
>

> (seasonings - I used garlic powder, dried thyme leaves, black pepper and
> kosher salt)

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> I love Prime Rib...but Wayne won't eat any roast with pink in it..so the
> only time I get it is when we go out to eat. This sounds like a great
> recipe. Thanks for posting it Evelyn
>
> Jacquie

i have the same problem with hubby on ALL beef (well, not the tough cuts
that have to be cooked forever or nasty hamburger)

so....... one day the propane tank on the BBQ went out
the steaks were perfect for me, but WAY too red/bloody for hubby

stuck the steak in the micro for 1.5 minutes on high, and voila, his
meat was no longer pink/red AND it was a LOT juicier than the 'well
done' choice he used to make

over time, he has been cooking his meat closer to medium rare than 'shoe
leather' doneness

good luck! hope this works for you!

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>
> > Perfect prime rib, every time, any size roast.

> Same amount of time regardless of size of roast?

Time means nothing to me, Priscilla. Appearance: Nice sear? Pulling back
off the bone? Feel: When you pick them up by one end rib, do they
fold/break in the middle. Temp: Depends on what you like, eh? For me, that
would be 135 F internal; for others, maybe as much as 160 F. The more rare
you want it, the higher the cook temp. The nice thing about cooking is that
besides learning from your mistakes, you get to eat them (or worst case,
the dog does)! Keep notes.

BTW If your rub is too dry to stick, you can pre-slather your meat with
CYM. It'll help your rub stick and won't effect the taste.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

LOL..thats what my wife does!

I cook the meat to my doness and she nukes it after to hers and loves it.

She does the same with all meats..even fried chicken she will nuke till its
like a rock..but makes her happy.

KROM

"Tiger Lily" > wrote
> stuck the steak in the micro for 1.5 minutes on high, and voila, his meat
> was no longer pink/red AND it was a LOT juicier than the 'well done'
> choice he used to make
>
> over time, he has been cooking his meat closer to medium rare than 'shoe
> leather' doneness
>
> good luck! hope this works for you!
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>
>> Perfect prime rib, every time, any size roast.

> Same amount of time regardless of size of roast?
>
> Priscilla

That's what they claim! Apparently the long time left in the warm oven is
enough to penetrate all the meat. My suggestion is if you are unsure,
follow the instructions to a tee, but before you start to serve it, use a
meat thermometer to make sure the center is done to the degree you want. I
have done this with a 7 lb roast and it came out just as they say. I also
have a pretty good oven which holds the heat in pretty well. It is REALLY
important that you don't open the oven even for one second during that long
resting time. I took them literally when they said to let it sit all day,
and it was in there for several hours before I finished it up.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>>
>>> Perfect prime rib, every time, any size roast.

>> Same amount of time regardless of size of roast?
>>
>> Priscilla

> Paula's is for 5 lb roast.
>
> 1 (5-pound) standing rib roast
> 1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
> Directions
> Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
>
> Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Rub roast with House Seasoning; place
> roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up.
> Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven
> door for 3 hours. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to
> 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or
> re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.
>
> House Seasoning:
> 1 cup salt
> 1/4 cup black pepper
> 1/4 cup garlic powder
> Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6
> months.

She may have changed it to a 5 lb roast somewhere along the line. I have
had this recipe for a while. Also I always use lots of dried leaf thyme on
the outside of the roast along with the seasonings. I have made it with a
7 lb roast and it came out fine.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:
>> I love Prime Rib...but Wayne won't eat any roast with pink in it..so the
>> only time I get it is when we go out to eat. This sounds like a great
>> recipe. Thanks for posting it Evelyn
>>
>> Jacquie

> i have the same problem with hubby on ALL beef (well, not the tough cuts
> that have to be cooked forever or nasty hamburger)
>
> so....... one day the propane tank on the BBQ went out
> the steaks were perfect for me, but WAY too red/bloody for hubby
>
> stuck the steak in the micro for 1.5 minutes on high, and voila, his meat
> was no longer pink/red AND it was a LOT juicier than the 'well done'
> choice he used to make
>
> over time, he has been cooking his meat closer to medium rare than 'shoe
> leather' doneness
>
> good luck! hope this works for you!
>
> kate

Kate, my husband used to eat steaks and prime rib ONLY when it was cooked to
death. I used to tell him that all steaks had to be turned into Pot Roast
for him! Not at all surprisingly, he would often complain about tough
meat. I would tell him how mine (med rare) was perfect and tender.
Finally he got the idea and would occasionally start eating it cooked just a
little less. Now he still doesn't like it as rare as mine, but he will eat
it cooked to "medium" or "medium-well" rather than "cremated". As he does
a lot of grilling now, he is getting a feel for it, and he eats his meat
rarer than ever before.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> Kate, my husband used to eat steaks and prime rib ONLY when it was
> cooked to death. I used to tell him that all steaks had to be turned
> into Pot Roast for him! Not at all surprisingly, he would often
> complain about tough meat. I would tell him how mine (med rare) was
> perfect and tender. Finally he got the idea and would occasionally start
> eating it cooked just a little less. Now he still doesn't like it as
> rare as mine, but he will eat it cooked to "medium" or "medium-well"
> rather than "cremated". As he does a lot of grilling now, he is
> getting a feel for it, and he eats his meat rarer than ever before.

oh, i love it Evelyn

hubby's cousin is a 'blue rare' fan
they were staying with us recently, and hubby bought some massive NY
Strip Loin steaks for dinner, and he asked his cousin to be the BBQ spec
ialist as he wasn't sure he could cook 'blue rare' properly

i remember a time when hubby couldn't even sit at the same TABLE as
someone ELSE eating steak that rare

and yes, hubby likes to see a 'touch of pink' at the centre of his
steaks now (finally! LOL)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: >
: > Same amount of time regardless of size of roast?

: Time means nothing to me, Priscilla. Appearance: Nice sear? Pulling back
: off the bone? Feel: When you pick them up by one end rib, do they
: fold/break in the middle. Temp: Depends on what you like, eh? For me, that
: would be 135 F internal; for others, maybe as much as 160 F. The more rare
: you want it, the higher the cook temp. The nice thing about cooking is that
: besides learning from your mistakes, you get to eat them (or worst case,
: the dog does)! Keep notes.
: Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

It is just so difficult, and expensive to learn on a standing rib roast,
partcularly if you bu a kosher one at about $18 per pound! I'd experiment
with soe other cut, like rolled shulder( a kosher cut) or oone of the
round or sirloin roasts(unkosher:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom > wrote:
: LOL..thats what my wife does!

: I cook the meat to my doness and she nukes it after to hers and loves it.

: She does the same with all meats..even fried chicken she will nuke till its
: like a rock..but makes her happy.

: KROM

I do that for my D-I-L too.

Wendy
: "Tiger Lily" > wrote
: > stuck the steak in the micro for 1.5 minutes on high, and voila, his meat
: > was no longer pink/red AND it was a LOT juicier than the 'well done'
: > choice he used to make
: >
: > over time, he has been cooking his meat closer to medium rare than 'shoe
: > leather' doneness
: >
: > good luck! hope this works for you!
: >
: > kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : >
> : > Same amount of time regardless of size of roast?
>
> : Time means nothing to me, Priscilla. Appearance: Nice sear? Pulling back
> : off the bone? Feel: When you pick them up by one end rib, do they
> : fold/break in the middle. Temp: Depends on what you like, eh? For me, that
> : would be 135 F internal; for others, maybe as much as 160 F. The more rare
> : you want it, the higher the cook temp. The nice thing about cooking is that
> : besides learning from your mistakes, you get to eat them (or worst case,
> : the dog does)! Keep notes.
> : Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>
> It is just so difficult, and expensive to learn on a standing rib roast,
> partcularly if you bu a kosher one at about $18 per pound! I'd experiment
> with soe other cut, like rolled shulder( a kosher cut) or oone of the
> round or sirloin roasts(unkosher:-)

Exactly. Usually my beef is grass-fed and comes in the form of pot
roasts, steaks, ground beef, stew meat. I cannot afford over $100 for a
roast!

Today's roast is supermarket beef, so grain-fed, but it was rib roast on
sale for around $5 a pound, so I threw caution to the wind. It's in the
oven right now, and will have the heat shut off in 15 minutes to sit for
a few hours.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Nick Cramer > wrote:
: > : >
[...]

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. We are all waiting with bated
breath:-)

Happy Easter and eat lots of the beef, but skip the potatoes:-)

I have been lucky to find a number of sugar-free or just not very carby
snacks this year for Pesach. As they have sugar alcohols, I can only eat
a little at a time as I don't want that stomach ache!!! It has worked
well, eating only 1 or2 cookies or a small piece of marble cake. All
these things contain no wheat,ub egg whites, nuts, sweetner, etc or some
potato starch, not matzo meal and have not spiked me in small doses.
Janeeet will understand when I say the commercial baked stuff is generally
non-gebrockts around here(no matzo meal or other grain product), so is
eiher macaroons with nuts or cocoanut or very light sponge cakes. I also
found some 82% chocolate bars so am in good holiday shape. All I have to
do is resist my yummy home made honey, matzo farfel, nuts and ginger
candy.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> : >
>> : > Same amount of time regardless of size of roast?
>>
>> : Time means nothing to me, Priscilla. Appearance: Nice sear? Pulling
>> back
>> : off the bone? Feel: When you pick them up by one end rib, do they
>> : fold/break in the middle. Temp: Depends on what you like, eh? For me,
>> that
>> : would be 135 F internal; for others, maybe as much as 160 F. The more
>> rare
>> : you want it, the higher the cook temp. The nice thing about cooking is
>> that
>> : besides learning from your mistakes, you get to eat them (or worst
>> case,
>> : the dog does)! Keep notes.
>> : Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>>
>> It is just so difficult, and expensive to learn on a standing rib roast,
>> partcularly if you bu a kosher one at about $18 per pound! I'd
>> experiment
>> with soe other cut, like rolled shulder( a kosher cut) or oone of the
>> round or sirloin roasts(unkosher:-)

> Exactly. Usually my beef is grass-fed and comes in the form of pot
> roasts, steaks, ground beef, stew meat. I cannot afford over $100 for a
> roast!
>
> Today's roast is supermarket beef, so grain-fed, but it was rib roast on
> sale for around $5 a pound, so I threw caution to the wind. It's in the
> oven right now, and will have the heat shut off in 15 minutes to sit for
> a few hours.
>
> Priscilla

Let me know how it turns out Priscilla. The ones I made that way turned
out excellent.

I think that it might make sense to invest in an oven thermometer. Not the
kind that goes in the meat, though that's a good idea too, but the kind that
tells you if your oven is calibrated right. I suspect mine might be just a
tiny bit lower in temp than what I set it for.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> krom > wrote:
> : LOL..thats what my wife does!
>
> : I cook the meat to my doness and she nukes it after to hers and loves
> it.
>
> : She does the same with all meats..even fried chicken she will nuke till
> its
> : like a rock..but makes her happy.
>
> : KROM
>
> I do that for my D-I-L too.

Speaking of nukes..... I finally broke down and bought a new microwave oven.
I had a little old cheapie that cost maybe $50 years ago. It wasn't
working right but we just kept on using it. Finally I got annoyed enough
with it, to seriously consider replacing it.

This time I bought a commercial type Panasonic for $150 in Sam's Club. WOW
what a difference! First of all it is seriously larger, even though it was
the smaller of the two models of Panasonic commercial quality MW ovens they
had to offer.

The power is unbelievable. No more hot spots. Shorter times needed to do
everything. Big enough to put a large square pan or large platter of food
in it. The old one was not good for much but to quickly thaw out a burger
or cook rice, but this one is noticeably better in every way.

The only problem is that it takes up a lot of counter space and that is
something that is at a premium in anyones kitchen. I am looking around at
the kitchen trying to figure out where I could put a table or cart or stand
so that I can move it there and gain my counter space back.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> Today's roast is supermarket beef, so grain-fed, but it was rib roast on
> sale for around $5 a pound, so I threw caution to the wind. It's in the
> oven right now, and will have the heat shut off in 15 minutes to sit for
> a few hours.

It turned out PERFECT! Amazing. I'm saving the instructions away.

Thank you, everyone!

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That sounds like something I would like...my microwave I have now is a
Kenmore my Daughter bought me. It throws lightening from time to time...I
think it is time to replace it/ The best Micro I have ever had was the cheap
Gold Star ones...they were always roomy and lasted forever.

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> krom > wrote:
>> : LOL..thats what my wife does!
>>
>> : I cook the meat to my doness and she nukes it after to hers and loves
>> it.
>>
>> : She does the same with all meats..even fried chicken she will nuke till
>> its
>> : like a rock..but makes her happy.
>>
>> : KROM
>>
>> I do that for my D-I-L too.

> Speaking of nukes..... I finally broke down and bought a new microwave
> oven. I had a little old cheapie that cost maybe $50 years ago. It
> wasn't working right but we just kept on using it. Finally I got annoyed
> enough with it, to seriously consider replacing it.
>
> This time I bought a commercial type Panasonic for $150 in Sam's Club.
> WOW what a difference! First of all it is seriously larger, even though
> it was the smaller of the two models of Panasonic commercial quality MW
> ovens they had to offer.
>
> The power is unbelievable. No more hot spots. Shorter times needed to
> do everything. Big enough to put a large square pan or large platter of
> food in it. The old one was not good for much but to quickly thaw out a
> burger or cook rice, but this one is noticeably better in every way.
>
> The only problem is that it takes up a lot of counter space and that is
> something that is at a premium in anyones kitchen. I am looking around
> at the kitchen trying to figure out where I could put a table or cart or
> stand so that I can move it there and gain my counter space back.

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> Let me know how it turns out Priscilla. The ones I made that way turned
> out excellent.

It was wonderful!

> I think that it might make sense to invest in an oven thermometer. Not the
> kind that goes in the meat, though that's a good idea too, but the kind that
> tells you if your oven is calibrated right. I suspect mine might be just a
> tiny bit lower in temp than what I set it for.

I have one, which is how I know my oven overheats by about 20 degrees F.

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> That sounds like something I would like...my microwave I have now is a
> Kenmore my Daughter bought me. It throws lightening from time to time...I
> think it is time to replace it/ The best Micro I have ever had was the
> cheap Gold Star ones...they were always roomy and lasted forever.

Go for it Jacquie! I don't know why I waited so long. This one I bought
is commercial quality and there really is a difference. I always noticed
that in restaurants and delis they had the Panasonic. I assumed they must
be pretty good because they can't go selling you food with hot and cold
spots when you order something!

For $150 in Sam's Club it wasn't a bad deal to get an appliance that isn't
going to turn into a junker in a couple of years like my old one did.

Do you have a Sam's near you? They carried two models of Panasonic, one
really huge and this one which was slightly smaller, but it is still pretty
big. Yesterday I had unexpected company for dinner (my brother) and I
thawed out a large size container of soup for lunch, then a pretty big meat
loaf for dinner out of the freezer.

The only caveat is that the size is an issue. These are big (as well as
very efficient). I still can't believe that there are no hot spots and cold
spots on the food.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>
>> Today's roast is supermarket beef, so grain-fed, but it was rib roast on
>> sale for around $5 a pound, so I threw caution to the wind. It's in the
>> oven right now, and will have the heat shut off in 15 minutes to sit for
>> a few hours.

> It turned out PERFECT! Amazing. I'm saving the instructions away.
>
> Thank you, everyone!
>
> Priscilla

GREAT! Mine always turned out well using that recipe too. I have to tell
you there are a couple of cooks on food network that I really like, and
Paula Deen is one of the best. When she gives out a recipe it almost always
works out well. I also like Ina Garten and Giada Di Laurentis.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

: > Today's roast is supermarket beef, so grain-fed, but it was rib roast on
: > sale for around $5 a pound, so I threw caution to the wind. It's in the
: > oven right now, and will have the heat shut off in 15 minutes to sit for
: > a few hours.

: It turned out PERFECT! Amazing. I'm saving the instructions away.

: Thank you, everyone!

: Priscilla

Glad it worked out for you. Now, all you need is more company over the
year and you can wow them everytime tht roast is on sale:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > krom > wrote:
: > : LOL..thats what my wife does!
: >
[...]

: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

Good luckwith it. Use it for all your plain vegetable cooking and it is
great for quick fish dishes, like fish with sliced onions and peppers adn
salsa, nuked until done. It works for thin(tilapia) or thick(salmon)
fish, just vary the times by the thickness. Invest in Barbara kafka's
Microwave Gourmet for lots of recipe ideas and a kind of dictionalry of
foods and timings for the microwave. I do a number of her recipes, but
often siplify them a bit for spped f prep. It shoudl still be available
in paper or look for used on B&N or Amazon

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Good idea. Wayne will eat his steaks medium well...took me years to get him
to eat that...LOL. He grew up in a house of 10 and the only steak they ever
had was round steak...and of course it was cooked to death. You should have
seen him the first time he came to my house for steak...my Mother always
bought thick porterhouse steaks...he was 17 and had never seen a
Porterhouse...LOL. Now his favorite steak is the fillet. He still like Chuck
roast over all of the roasts I have tried...which makes me happy because I
think it's a crime to cook a good roast until it is well done.

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:
>> I love Prime Rib...but Wayne won't eat any roast with pink in it..so the
>> only time I get it is when we go out to eat. This sounds like a great
>> recipe. Thanks for posting it Evelyn
>>
>> Jacquie

> i have the same problem with hubby on ALL beef (well, not the tough cuts
> that have to be cooked forever or nasty hamburger)
>
> so....... one day the propane tank on the BBQ went out
> the steaks were perfect for me, but WAY too red/bloody for hubby
>
> stuck the steak in the micro for 1.5 minutes on high, and voila, his meat
> was no longer pink/red AND it was a LOT juicier than the 'well done'
> choice he used to make
>
> over time, he has been cooking his meat closer to medium rare than 'shoe
> leather' doneness
>
> good luck! hope this works for you!
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> That sounds like something I would like...my microwave I have now is a
> Kenmore my Daughter bought me. It throws lightening from time to
> time...I think it is time to replace it/ The best Micro I have ever had
> was the cheap Gold Star ones...they were always roomy and lasted forever.
>

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> krom > wrote:
>>> : LOL..thats what my wife does!
>>>
>>> : I cook the meat to my doness and she nukes it after to hers and
>>> loves it.
>>>
>>> : She does the same with all meats..even fried chicken she will nuke
>>> till its
>>> : like a rock..but makes her happy.
>>>
>>> : KROM
>>>
>>> I do that for my D-I-L too.

>> Speaking of nukes..... I finally broke down and bought a new microwave
>> oven. I had a little old cheapie that cost maybe $50 years ago. It
>> wasn't working right but we just kept on using it. Finally I got
>> annoyed enough with it, to seriously consider replacing it.
>>
>> This time I bought a commercial type Panasonic for $150 in Sam's Club.
>> WOW what a difference! First of all it is seriously larger, even
>> though it was the smaller of the two models of Panasonic commercial
>> quality MW ovens they had to offer.
>>
>> The power is unbelievable. No more hot spots. Shorter times needed
>> to do everything. Big enough to put a large square pan or large
>> platter of food in it. The old one was not good for much but to
>> quickly thaw out a burger or cook rice, but this one is noticeably
>> better in every way.
>>
>> The only problem is that it takes up a lot of counter space and that
>> is something that is at a premium in anyones kitchen. I am looking
>> around at the kitchen trying to figure out where I could put a table
>> or cart or stand so that I can move it there and gain my counter space
>> back.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Evelyn
>>
>> Rest in a sky-like mind.
>> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
>> Breathe like the wind circling the world

i loved my Panasonic! it was very reliable

some 20 years ago, i bought a Panasonic for Mom, and she's still using
it today (i got her the convection/micro combo, with the 'smart buttons'
for thawing or cooking 'regular' items)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:06:21 -0400, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Speaking of nukes..... I finally broke down and bought a new microwave oven.
>I had a little old cheapie that cost maybe $50 years ago. It wasn't
>working right but we just kept on using it. Finally I got annoyed enough
>with it, to seriously consider replacing it.
>
>This time I bought a commercial type Panasonic for $150 in Sam's Club. WOW
>what a difference! First of all it is seriously larger, even though it was
>the smaller of the two models of Panasonic commercial quality MW ovens they
>had to offer.
>
>The power is unbelievable. No more hot spots. Shorter times needed to do
>everything. Big enough to put a large square pan or large platter of food
>in it. The old one was not good for much but to quickly thaw out a burger
>or cook rice, but this one is noticeably better in every way.

Yeah, I did the same a few months ago, replacing a still-working but
20yo model! I got a microwave/grill/oven beast, and I think it's the
most used appliance in the kitchen! And at the price I paid, this one
doesn't have to go 20 years before I feel I've got my money's worth...
Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:
>> That sounds like something I would like...my microwave I have now is a
>> Kenmore my Daughter bought me. It throws lightening from time to time...I
>> think it is time to replace it/ The best Micro I have ever had was the
>> cheap Gold Star ones...they were always roomy and lasted forever.

>>> Speaking of nukes..... I finally broke down and bought a new microwave
>>> oven. I had a little old cheapie that cost maybe $50 years ago. It
>>> wasn't working right but we just kept on using it. Finally I got
>>> annoyed enough with it, to seriously consider replacing it.
>>>
>>> This time I bought a commercial type Panasonic for $150 in Sam's Club.
>>> WOW what a difference! First of all it is seriously larger, even
>>> though it was the smaller of the two models of Panasonic commercial
>>> quality MW ovens they had to offer.
>>>
>>> The power is unbelievable. No more hot spots. Shorter times needed
>>> to do everything. Big enough to put a large square pan or large
>>> platter of food in it. The old one was not good for much but to
>>> quickly thaw out a burger or cook rice, but this one is noticeably
>>> better in every way.
>>>
>>> The only problem is that it takes up a lot of counter space and that is
>>> something that is at a premium in anyones kitchen. I am looking around
>>> at the kitchen trying to figure out where I could put a table or cart or
>>> stand so that I can move it there and gain my counter space back.
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Evelyn
>>>
>>> Rest in a sky-like mind.
>>> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
>>> Breathe like the wind circling the world
>>>

> i loved my Panasonic! it was very reliable
>
> some 20 years ago, i bought a Panasonic for Mom, and she's still using it
> today (i got her the convection/micro combo, with the 'smart buttons' for
> thawing or cooking 'regular' items)
>
> kate

Yes, this one has all that too, but I haven't even had time to fully read
the manual and learn how to use it properly yet! Went to NJ yesterday for
my little granddaughter's first birthday. It was great.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-arachive; yes

Evelyn wrote:

> The only problem is that it takes up a lot of counter space and that is
> something that is at a premium in anyones kitchen. I am looking around
> at the kitchen trying to figure out where I could put a table or cart or
> stand so that I can move it there and gain my counter space back.

No place to wall mount?

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message
> x-no-arachive; yes
>
> Evelyn wrote:
>
>> The only problem is that it takes up a lot of counter space and that is
>> something that is at a premium in anyones kitchen. I am looking around
>> at the kitchen trying to figure out where I could put a table or cart or
>> stand so that I can move it there and gain my counter space back.
>>

> No place to wall mount?
>
> Susan

Unfortunately no. But I am contemplating various solutions to the dilemma,
among which are to possibly build a shelf for it with the cat and dog food
bins underneath, or to move my refrigerator out of its niche, put it
elsewhere, and then turn that niche into a combination Microwave shelf and
storage shelves for my cookware.

There is a very good solution but it would cost bucks. I'd have to buy the
special kind of refrigerator that is shallower and wider than usual, put it
on one wall, and convert the old niche into the use I mentioned. My
daughter bought that kind of fridge and it installs directly into a wall.
It is only about maybe 20 inches deep, but the doors are much larger and the
space it takes up is more lateral than deep, so it holds the same as a
standard family size fridge.

Cost is an issue just now. We spent a lot of money recently on a wood
stove, dental work, and yard equipment. It is definitely a plan for some
later major renovation, but not just now.

But I absolutely love the new microwave, and wonder what ever stopped me
from getting a good one before. It's amazing.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > krom > wrote:
> : > : LOL..thats what my wife does!
> : >
> : > : I cook the meat to my doness and she nukes it after to hers and
> loves
> : > it.
> : >
> : > : She does the same with all meats..even fried chicken she will nuke
> till
> : > its
> : > : like a rock..but makes her happy.
> : >
> : > : KROM
> : >
> : > I do that for my D-I-L too.
>

> : Speaking of nukes..... I finally broke down and bought a new microwave
> oven.
> : I had a little old cheapie that cost maybe $50 years ago. It wasn't
> : working right but we just kept on using it. Finally I got annoyed
> enough
> : with it, to seriously consider replacing it.
>
> : This time I bought a commercial type Panasonic for $150 in Sam's Club.
> WOW
> : what a difference! First of all it is seriously larger, even though it
> was
> : the smaller of the two models of Panasonic commercial quality MW ovens
> they
> : had to offer.
>
> : The power is unbelievable. No more hot spots. Shorter times needed
> to do
> : everything. Big enough to put a large square pan or large platter of
> food
> : in it. The old one was not good for much but to quickly thaw out a
> burger
> : or cook rice, but this one is noticeably better in every way.
>
> : The only problem is that it takes up a lot of counter space and that is
> : something that is at a premium in anyones kitchen. I am looking around
> at
> : the kitchen trying to figure out where I could put a table or cart or
> stand
> : so that I can move it there and gain my counter space back.
> : --
> : Best Regards,
> : Evelyn
>
> Good luckwith it. Use it for all your plain vegetable cooking and it is
> great for quick fish dishes, like fish with sliced onions and peppers adn
> salsa, nuked until done. It works for thin(tilapia) or thick(salmon)
> fish, just vary the times by the thickness. Invest in Barbara kafka's
> Microwave Gourmet for lots of recipe ideas and a kind of dictionalry of
> foods and timings for the microwave. I do a number of her recipes, but
> often siplify them a bit for spped f prep. It shoudl still be available
> in paper or look for used on B&N or Amazon
>
> Wendy

Wendy I just ordered that book from Amazon.com used for only two dollars and
change! I am quite excited about getting it.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>
> : > Today's roast is supermarket beef, so grain-fed, but it was rib roast on
> : > sale for around $5 a pound, so I threw caution to the wind. It's in the
> : > oven right now, and will have the heat shut off in 15 minutes to sit for
> : > a few hours.
>
> : It turned out PERFECT! Amazing. I'm saving the instructions away.
>
> : Thank you, everyone!
>
> : Priscilla
>
> Glad it worked out for you. Now, all you need is more company over the
> year and you can wow them everytime tht roast is on sale:-)

I do a family dinner just about every month, whether there's a holiday
or not. This month it was Easter. Next month is my sister's and my
combined birthdays. I usually do lamb or pork or turkey. It was just
the fact that the rib roast was on sale which pushed me towards beef
this time. I haven't seen it on sale very often.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>> : In article >,
>> : Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>>
>> : > Today's roast is supermarket beef, so grain-fed, but it was rib roast
>> on
>> : > sale for around $5 a pound, so I threw caution to the wind. It's in
>> the
>> : > oven right now, and will have the heat shut off in 15 minutes to sit
>> for
>> : > a few hours.
>>
>> : It turned out PERFECT! Amazing. I'm saving the instructions away.
>>
>> : Thank you, everyone!
>>
>> : Priscilla
>>
>> Glad it worked out for you. Now, all you need is more company over the
>> year and you can wow them everytime tht roast is on sale:-)

> I do a family dinner just about every month, whether there's a holiday
> or not. This month it was Easter. Next month is my sister's and my
> combined birthdays. I usually do lamb or pork or turkey. It was just
> the fact that the rib roast was on sale which pushed me towards beef
> this time. I haven't seen it on sale very often.
>
> Priscilla

My sister waits till she sees it on sale then buys several and freezes them.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I did that a few weeks ago...our store had a two for one sale on four types
of roasts and we could mix and match...I bought 4 ...vacuumed sealed them
and put in the freezer. They had a big boneless new York loin...I had them
cut up steaks I got 15 steaks at about $5.00 ea. Vacuum sealed them and
threw them in one of my freeze drawers....they will come in handy for Family
Barbeques this Summer I love my freezer and vacuum sealer...although I
plan on getting one that will also seal without the suction...that way I can
seal chip bags and cereal bags before the ants invade...they didn't invade
last year ...I hope they don't this year either. We have plugged all holes
laid traps and hubby has sprayed around the outside of the house and under
it. I told him he can't spray indoors until I have mopped all floors
Jacquie

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>>
>>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>>> : In article >,
>>> : Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>>>
>>> : > Today's roast is supermarket beef, so grain-fed, but it was rib
>>> roast on
>>> : > sale for around $5 a pound, so I threw caution to the wind. It's in
>>> the
>>> : > oven right now, and will have the heat shut off in 15 minutes to sit
>>> for
>>> : > a few hours.
>>>
>>> : It turned out PERFECT! Amazing. I'm saving the instructions away.
>>>
>>> : Thank you, everyone!
>>>
>>> : Priscilla
>>>
>>> Glad it worked out for you. Now, all you need is more company over the
>>> year and you can wow them everytime tht roast is on sale:-)

>> I do a family dinner just about every month, whether there's a holiday
>> or not. This month it was Easter. Next month is my sister's and my
>> combined birthdays. I usually do lamb or pork or turkey. It was just
>> the fact that the rib roast was on sale which pushed me towards beef
>> this time. I haven't seen it on sale very often.
>>
>> Priscilla

> My sister waits till she sees it on sale then buys several and freezes
> them.

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message

> Under the influence of the late Bob Pastorio, I invested in a high tech
> meat thermometer. I put the probe in the meet, and an outside unit beeps
> when a pre-set internal temperature is reached. (It helped that my
> sister had given me a Williams-Sonoma gift card for my birthday...) It
> really makes a difference when I roast meat of various sorts.

I still miss Bob. He had some great suggestions and recipes.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>
>> Under the influence of the late Bob Pastorio, I invested in a high tech
>> meat thermometer. I put the probe in the meet, and an outside unit beeps
>> when a pre-set internal temperature is reached. (It helped that my
>> sister had given me a Williams-Sonoma gift card for my birthday...) It
>> really makes a difference when I roast meat of various sorts.

> I still miss Bob. He had some great suggestions and recipes.
>
> Cheri

Yes he did,....... when he wasn't involving in pointless flame fests with
trolls!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Under the influence of the late Bob Pastorio, I invested in a high tech
>>> meat thermometer. I put the probe in the meet, and an outside unit beeps
>>> when a pre-set internal temperature is reached. (It helped that my
>>> sister had given me a Williams-Sonoma gift card for my birthday...) It
>>> really makes a difference when I roast meat of various sorts.

>> I still miss Bob. He had some great suggestions and recipes.
>>
>> Cheri

> Yes he did,....... when he wasn't involving in pointless flame fests with
> trolls!

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn

True, but I wasn't in those newsgroups. Just ASD and ASDLC, and only caught
the crossposts once in a great while.

Cheri