Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Rib roast

I'm doing a rib roast for the family tomorrow night. It's about 4 lbs
and is 3-4 ribs.

My impulse is to start it high (400F) and immediately turn it down low
(275-300F). Is that a good impulse? Does anyone have a sense of timing
at various temperatures? It's been a while since I did a nice beef
roast.

Thanks!

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: I'm doing a rib roast for the family tomorrow night. It's about 4 lbs
: and is 3-4 ribs.

: My impulse is to start it high (400F) and immediately turn it down low
: (275-300F). Is that a good impulse? Does anyone have a sense of timing
: at various temperatures? It's been a while since I did a nice beef
: roast.

: Thanks!

: Priscilla

I usually do my beef roasts kind of high al the time and cook them for les
time. Gives o a great brown outside and a rare inside. I don't go as
high as Barbara Kafka does at 500F as that kind of messes up the oven and
smels up the kitchen, but start at 425 and then down to no less than 375
and test with a thermometer as I never get the times right. Try at 1 hr
and after.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> I'm doing a rib roast for the family tomorrow night. It's about 4 lbs
> and is 3-4 ribs.
>
> My impulse is to start it high (400F) and immediately turn it down low
> (275-300F). Is that a good impulse? Does anyone have a sense of timing
> at various temperatures? It's been a while since I did a nice beef
> roast.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Priscilla

T his is how I do a rib roast. It always comes out gooe

* Exported from MasterCook *

Standing Rib Roast

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef Meat

2 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. dried rosemary
2 tbsp. dried thyme
2 tbsp. freshly ground pepper
3 lb. prime rib -- or standing rib roast

Preheat oven to 425. Mix the garlic, herbs and pepper together into a
paste. Coat the roast. Stand the roast on a rack in a pan. Roast at
425 for 20 min. Turn oven down to 350 and continue to roast until done,
about an hour.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.food.barbecue

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> I'm doing a rib roast for the family tomorrow night. It's about 4 lbs
> and is 3-4 ribs.
>
> My impulse is to start it high (400F) and immediately turn it down low
> (275-300F). Is that a good impulse? Does anyone have a sense of timing
> at various temperatures? It's been a while since I did a nice beef
> roast.

I hope you don't mind that I've crossposted this, Priscilla. You should get
some good replies from the folks at a.f.b. Mmmm. Rib roast!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : I'm doing a rib roast for the family tomorrow night. It's about 4 lbs
> : and is 3-4 ribs.
>
> : My impulse is to start it high (400F) and immediately turn it down low
> : (275-300F). Is that a good impulse? Does anyone have a sense of
> : timing at various temperatures? It's been a while since I did a nice
> : beef roast.
>
> I usually do my beef roasts kind of high al the time and cook them for
> les time. Gives o a great brown outside and a rare inside. I don't go
> as high as Barbara Kafka does at 500F as that kind of messes up the oven
> and smels up the kitchen, but start at 425 and then down to no less than
> 375 and test with a thermometer as I never get the times right. Try at 1
> hr and after.

I think Wendy has it! Let the raw roast sit on the counter for at least an
hour to come to room temperature. I go for 135 F inside, which I consider
perfect.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>i did one this week with a start at 450 for 20 minutes then i dropped it to
>250 and let it go for 4 hours..it was perfect.
>
> i also pre cooking the meat.... salted the meat and wrapped it with saran
> wrap and let it sit in fridge for 18 hours..saw this tecnique on americas
> test kitchen.
>
> it made a terrible cut of meat taste like 60 dollar a pound angus prime.
>
> even my wife who isnt a carnavour like me loved it.
>
> KROM

Before or after cooking it Krom? Do explain more. Sounds interesting.

I like Paula Deen's perfect roast beef every time.

You put the roast on the counter and light the oven, but you don't put the
beef in.

Allow the beef to come to room temp and the oven to get hot for the first
hour.

Then you put the meat in the oven for a certain period of time, then you
shut the oven off for the rest of the day without opening the door and leave
the roast in there.

Just 1/2 hour before serving you start the oven again for a few minutes and
then remove it.

I don't have the exact recipe handy, but that is how it works. It comes
out perfect medium rare every single time. I have done it a few times. I
will look for it.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "krom" > wrote in message
>>i did one this week with a start at 450 for 20 minutes then i dropped it
>>to 250 and let it go for 4 hours..it was perfect.
>>
>> i also pre cooking the meat.... salted the meat and wrapped it with saran
>> wrap and let it sit in fridge for 18 hours..saw this tecnique on americas
>> test kitchen.
>>
>> it made a terrible cut of meat taste like 60 dollar a pound angus prime.
>>
>> even my wife who isnt a carnavour like me loved it.
>>
>> KROM
>>

> Before or after cooking it Krom? Do explain more. Sounds interesting.
>
> I like Paula Deen's perfect roast beef every time.
>
> You put the roast on the counter and light the oven, but you don't put the
> beef in.
>
> Allow the beef to come to room temp and the oven to get hot for the first
> hour.
>
> Then you put the meat in the oven for a certain period of time, then you
> shut the oven off for the rest of the day without opening the door and
> leave the roast in there.
>
> Just 1/2 hour before serving you start the oven again for a few minutes
> and then remove it.
>
> I don't have the exact recipe handy, but that is how it works. It comes
> out perfect medium rare every single time. I have done it a few times.
> I will look for it.

Yes, that's a great way to do it. Works every time.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>> I'm doing a rib roast for the family tomorrow night. It's about 4 lbs
>> and is 3-4 ribs.
>>
>> My impulse is to start it high (400F) and immediately turn it down low
>> (275-300F). Is that a good impulse? Does anyone have a sense of timing
>> at various temperatures? It's been a while since I did a nice beef
>> roast.

I've always done what you're suggesting. However recently I've been roasting
"low and slow" or "sous vide", from
the beginning to the end. Here's a very good article about roasting a rib
roast from Tanith Tyrr.
http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/primerib.html

Hugh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

when you get the meat home and 18 hours before you are going to cook it you
put 2 tablespoons of salt over the roast and wrap it in saran wrap.

what happens is the roast sort of brines itself without adding water and
tenderizes.

After 18 hours you pat it dry..dont rinse and either brown it stove top then
into low oven or start high oven then go low.

As others have said let it rest a half to a full hour after cooking.

its a good tecnique i used to just grab the roast put salt and pepper on
it..maybe rub some rosmary and roast it for 2 hours in a furnace oven..the
results were depndant on the quality of the meat..this tecnique make any cut
of meat wonderfull.

KROM

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "krom" > wrote in message
>>i did one this week with a start at 450 for 20 minutes then i dropped it
>>to 250 and let it go for 4 hours..it was perfect.
>>
>> i also pre cooking the meat.... salted the meat and wrapped it with saran
>> wrap and let it sit in fridge for 18 hours..saw this tecnique on americas
>> test kitchen.
>>
>> it made a terrible cut of meat taste like 60 dollar a pound angus prime.
>>
>> even my wife who isnt a carnavour like me loved it.
>>
>> KROM
>>

> Before or after cooking it Krom? Do explain more. Sounds interesting.
>
> I like Paula Deen's perfect roast beef every time.
>
> You put the roast on the counter and light the oven, but you don't put the
> beef in.
>
> Allow the beef to come to room temp and the oven to get hot for the first
> hour.
>
> Then you put the meat in the oven for a certain period of time, then you
> shut the oven off for the rest of the day without opening the door and
> leave the roast in there.
>
> Just 1/2 hour before serving you start the oven again for a few minutes
> and then remove it.
>
> I don't have the exact recipe handy, but that is how it works. It comes
> out perfect medium rare every single time. I have done it a few times.
> I will look for it.
> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i also forgot to mention i cook all my meats on a wire rack on a foil lined
baking sheet that has a half inch lip.

easy cleanup and the meat because its cooking all sides always turns out
perfect...not sitting in its own fat and juices..but in the air.

KROM

"krom" > wrote in message
> when you get the meat home and 18 hours before you are going to cook it
> you put 2 tablespoons of salt over the roast and wrap it in saran wrap.
>
> what happens is the roast sort of brines itself without adding water and
> tenderizes.
>
> After 18 hours you pat it dry..dont rinse and either brown it stove top
> then into low oven or start high oven then go low.
>
> As others have said let it rest a half to a full hour after cooking.
>
> its a good tecnique i used to just grab the roast put salt and pepper on
> it..maybe rub some rosmary and roast it for 2 hours in a furnace oven..the
> results were depndant on the quality of the meat..this tecnique make any
> cut of meat wonderfull.
>
> KROM
>
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> "krom" > wrote in message
>>>i did one this week with a start at 450 for 20 minutes then i dropped it
>>>to 250 and let it go for 4 hours..it was perfect.
>>>
>>> i also pre cooking the meat.... salted the meat and wrapped it with
>>> saran wrap and let it sit in fridge for 18 hours..saw this tecnique on
>>> americas test kitchen.
>>>
>>> it made a terrible cut of meat taste like 60 dollar a pound angus prime.
>>>
>>> even my wife who isnt a carnavour like me loved it.
>>>
>>> KROM
>>>

>> Before or after cooking it Krom? Do explain more. Sounds interesting.
>>
>> I like Paula Deen's perfect roast beef every time.
>>
>> You put the roast on the counter and light the oven, but you don't put
>> the beef in.
>>
>> Allow the beef to come to room temp and the oven to get hot for the first
>> hour.
>>
>> Then you put the meat in the oven for a certain period of time, then you
>> shut the oven off for the rest of the day without opening the door and
>> leave the roast in there.
>>
>> Just 1/2 hour before serving you start the oven again for a few minutes
>> and then remove it.
>>
>> I don't have the exact recipe handy, but that is how it works. It comes
>> out perfect medium rare every single time. I have done it a few times.
>> I will look for it.
>> --
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Evelyn
>>
>> Rest in a sky-like mind.
>> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
>> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.food.barbecue

"Hugh" > wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>>> I'm doing a rib roast for the family tomorrow night. It's about 4 lbs
>>> and is 3-4 ribs.
>>>
>>> My impulse is to start it high (400F) and immediately turn it down low
>>> (275-300F). Is that a good impulse? Does anyone have a sense of timing
>>> at various temperatures? It's been a while since I did a nice beef
>>> roast.

> I've always done what you're suggesting. However recently I've been
> roasting "low and slow" or "sous vide", from
> the beginning to the end. Here's a very good article about roasting a rib
> roast from Tanith Tyrr.
> http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/primerib.html
>
> Hugh

The method depends on the result you want. Many like the meat to be the
same color throughout. Use the low and slow for that. I like the contrast
of the outer ring of doneness and inside pink. I use the start hot method.

I start at 450 and turn it down to 350 after a few minutes. I pull it out
of the oven at 120 and let it rest and the temperature will come to 135.

Neither is right or wrong, both taste good in their own way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 12, 7:29*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Hugh" > wrote in message

> > I've always done what you're suggesting. However recently I've been
> > roasting "low and slow" or "sous vide", from
> > the beginning to the end. Here's a very good article about roasting a rib
> > roast from Tanith Tyrr.
> >http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/primerib.html

> > Hugh

> The method depends on the result you want. *Many like the meat to be the
> same color throughout. *Use the low and slow for that. I like the contrast
> of the outer ring of doneness and inside pink. I use the start hot method..
>
> I start at 450 and turn it down to 350 after a few minutes. *I pull it out
> of the oven at 120 and let it rest and the temperature will come to 135.
>
> Neither is right or wrong, both taste good in their own way.

Try low and slow with with a hot finish. 250 till it's 115 internal
and then crank it full blast for 20 minutes. It makes a tender juicy
roast with a dark and crispy bark.

Cam
Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.food.barbecue

* Ed Pawlowski > [2009-04-12]:

> "Hugh" > wrote in message

>> I've always done what you're suggesting. However recently I've been
>> roasting "low and slow" or "sous vide", from
>> the beginning to the end. Here's a very good article about roasting a rib
>> roast from Tanith Tyrr.
>> http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/primerib.html
>>
>> Hugh

> The method depends on the result you want. Many like the meat to be the
> same color throughout. Use the low and slow for that. I like the contrast
> of the outer ring of doneness and inside pink. I use the start hot method.
>
> I start at 450 and turn it down to 350 after a few minutes. I pull it out
> of the oven at 120 and let it rest and the temperature will come to 135.
>
> Neither is right or wrong, both taste good in their own way.

Hi,

I'm kind of new and this is about a week late, but I had a question
about barbecuing a rib roast on my kettle grill not more than a
couple of weeks ago on the WCBBQA Web Forum. The advice I got was
to cook it in "indirect at 225* - 250*, pull it about 10* before you
want it done" with the suggesting being medium rare. So when the
internal temperature reached 130*ish I pulled it out and let it sit
for about 25-30 minutes under aluminum foil.

The results can be seen on the photobucket.
http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=DSC00600.jpg
http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=DSC00601.jpg

Btw, I'm by no means an expert and this was my first try at
barbecuing a roast. It was 2.205 kg and took about 4.5 hours on low
heat.

HTH

--
W. Steven Schneider >