Old 08-04-2009, 06:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Apple Pie for my mom

Julie Bove wrote:
"Alice Faber" wrote in message
In article
,
Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In article ,
Nicky wrote:

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:07:19 -0600, joe blow wrote:

Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my
diabetic mother for easter?

Both the apple bit and the pie bit are kinda anti-diabetic
control... Does she like rhubarb or strawberries? A half-apple
half-rhubarb pie would be better, sweetened with artificial
sweetener of some kind. Unless you cook for her regularly, you
probably don't have the ingredients to make truly low-carb pie
crust, but check the coconut pie crust recipe towards the end of
this link: http://tinyurl.com/ddujzc

I've made a nice fruit crumble with a topping made of chopped nuts,
spices, a little oatmeal, and some artificial sweetener.

Yeah, if it's going to be apple anything, you pretty much have to
leave out all of the other carbs!

And the hardest part is the portion control. If you have fresh
apples, eating half an apple is quite doable. However, when the
apples are cooked, it can be really hard to serve up such a small
portion.

Yeah. 2-3 times a year I have excess apples so I make a gluten free
apple crisp. Alas, it is one of the few things I can't restrain
myself from.

Do you have a problem with cream? Apple crisp and thick cream just begs to
be eaten together.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
joe blow wrote:
Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Thank you all in advance.

quarter an apple

sprinkle fake brown sugar on it

nuke it for 45 sec (depends on your micro's power, until the apple is
soft thru)

voila, a new favourite for your mother

Put it on a base of almond meal/butter/cinnamon and a dollop of thick cream
and it would be double voila! We can't get fake brown sugar here : But I
would use real brown sugar, just a little sprinkle

Old 08-04-2009, 07:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

Do you have a problem with cream? Apple crisp and thick cream just begs to
be eaten together.

Yep. The stuff always gagged me, which is a good thing since it turns out I
am allergic. I have to use coconut oil when I make a crisp.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:36:32 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Peel and
trim zucchini. Slice it lengthwise into quarters. Cut all the seeds out.
Slice the zucchini into slices that resemble apple slices. You should have
about 6 cups of slices.

I used to do an "apple" pie with a mix of pumpkin and avocado in
Zambia, where apples were often in short supply - zucchini sound a
great idea!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:39:45 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

My late mother was Diabetic and allergic to flowers. For Mothers' Day I
would buy her a huge bunch of asparagus and tie it up with a big, bright
ribbon. She loved it.

Yeah - that would do it for me When Trink came to dinner, he
brought a bunch of purple sprouting broccoli, perfect

Old 08-04-2009, 11:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
joe blow wrote:
Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Thank you all in advance.

quarter an apple

sprinkle fake brown sugar on it

nuke it for 45 sec (depends on your micro's power, until the apple is soft
thru)

voila, a new favourite for your mother

kate

I used to cut up an apple into slices, sprinkle it with cinnamon and
splenda, and nuke it for a minute till it softened. Pretend apple pie!
You can even put some heavy cream on it whipped with splenda too.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 09-04-2009, 12:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
joe blow wrote:
Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Thank you all in advance.

quarter an apple

sprinkle fake brown sugar on it

nuke it for 45 sec (depends on your micro's power, until the apple is
soft thru)

voila, a new favourite for your mother

kate

I used to cut up an apple into slices, sprinkle it with cinnamon and
splenda, and nuke it for a minute till it softened. Pretend apple pie!
You can even put some heavy cream on it whipped with splenda too.

When I was a kid I used to make snacks of Saltine crackers topped with
applesauce and cinnamon then toasted in the toaster oven. Tasted like apple
pie.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
[...]
: I've actually used the filling part of this many times, and it is a
good
: sub for apples. I just sprinkle a few toasted walnuts on top, but one
: could sub a low carb topping.
:
: 1 jumbo zucchini
: 1 cup fructose (or Splenda)
: 1 teaspoon cinnamon
: 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
: 2 Tablespoons 100% whole wheat flour
:
: Topping:
:
: 1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
: 1/3 cup fructose (or Splenda)
: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
: 3/4 cup rolled oats (regular)
: 1/2 cup butter, melted

: Wow! Never thought to do zucchini. I have at times used chayote/merliton,
: cooked on the stove with cinnamon added. I don't think I needed to add any
: sweetener. Just served them as is. They taste just like cooked apples.
: Only problem is they exude a sticky juice that can make your hands itch like
: mad when you are preparing them.

Somehow all this reminds me of that awful recipe for "moxk apple pie" made
with Ritz crackers that used to beon the box. the crackers, flavored like
apples, was the filling! Talk about carby adnd gross! Sorry you
peopeinother countries missed this it used to be a cuse of much fun when I
was young-art of the yuckiest recipes you coud find games some of my
friends and I played while at school. many of the others were those
endlessm marshmallows in everything along with mayonaise kind of recipes,
also, often using jello.

Wendy
Old 09-04-2009, 05:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

Somehow all this reminds me of that awful recipe for "moxk apple pie" made
with Ritz crackers that used to beon the box. the crackers, flavored like
apples, was the filling! Talk about carby adnd gross! Sorry you
peopeinother countries missed this it used to be a cuse of much fun when I
was young-art of the yuckiest recipes you coud find games some of my
friends and I played while at school. many of the others were those
endlessm marshmallows in everything along with mayonaise kind of recipes,
also, often using jello.

I remember seeing that recipe as a child and asking my mom why anyone would
want such a thing?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in
:

I remember seeing that recipe as a child and asking my mom why anyone
would want such a thing?

pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie
36 RITZ Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1-3/4 cups crumbs)
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. cream of tartar
Grated peel of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Those are the ingredients. Imagine crackers in a pie crust! I remember
having this at a church covered dish as a kid and it wasn't bad, but I
certainly wouldn't make it.

--
~Donna A~
http://www.thesewingdictionary.com