FoodBanter.com

-   -   Lime stuff (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/170231-lime-stuff.html)

Julie Bove 31-03-2009 04:03 AM

Lime stuff

So I bought a bag of Lay's Limon potato chips. They just looked appealing
to me. I don't normally like potato chips. But I freakin' LOVE these
things! The lime taste is sooo strong and good. But I realize that potato
chips aren't very good for me to be eating. Not often anyway.

Then I got to remembering the Wine Nuts that I bought a few years ago. They
were very good with a nice lime flavor too! But they were expensive and
contained sugar. I did try to re-create this on my own but couldn't get the
good strong flavor that they did.

So I got to thinking... Is there a way to get a strong lime flavor into
peanuts? I would prefer them not to have a sweet flavor. Just salty. I
have seen plenty of recipes (and product for sale) for chili lime peanuts.
I don't think I would like these. I like chili just fine. But I don't
think I would like it on nuts. I generally don't like foods that are
flavored like other things. Why I like the lime...I just don't know.

Thanks!

Pete Romfh[_5_] 02-04-2009 04:48 AM

Lime stuff

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:03:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>So I bought a bag of Lay's Limon potato chips. They just looked appealing
>to me. I don't normally like potato chips. But I freakin' LOVE these
>things! The lime taste is sooo strong and good. But I realize that potato
>chips aren't very good for me to be eating. Not often anyway.
>
>Then I got to remembering the Wine Nuts that I bought a few years ago. They
>were very good with a nice lime flavor too! But they were expensive and
>contained sugar. I did try to re-create this on my own but couldn't get the
>good strong flavor that they did.
>
>So I got to thinking... Is there a way to get a strong lime flavor into
>peanuts? I would prefer them not to have a sweet flavor. Just salty. I
>have seen plenty of recipes (and product for sale) for chili lime peanuts.
>I don't think I would like these. I like chili just fine. But I don't
>think I would like it on nuts. I generally don't like foods that are
>flavored like other things. Why I like the lime...I just don't know.
>
>Thanks!

Take a look in a liquor store for a product called "Twang" or similar.
It's a mixture of "sour salt" (citric acid) and salt. I've seen it in
packets near the register of several stores here in Texas.

If you have a Hispanic market nearby look for a similar product in
small, round, cardboard packages. A common brand is Lucas. They have
everything from Baby Lucas (citric acid and salt) to Super Lucas with
very hot chile, citric acid, and salt. These products taste good on
fruit, cheese, and numerous other foods. For your purpose the Baby
Lucas version sounds like the best bet. . Add a bit of lime zest to
the mixture to gain the essential oils from the lime. Let that sit for
a few days to spread the oils throughout the mixture then try it on
nuts or chips.

You can also find sour salt in the home canning section of some
stores.

------
Pete Romfh, telecom geek and amateur gourmet.
Houston, TX, USA

Julie Bove 02-04-2009 05:08 AM

Lime stuff

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message

> Take a look in a liquor store for a product called "Twang" or similar.
> It's a mixture of "sour salt" (citric acid) and salt. I've seen it in
> packets near the register of several stores here in Texas.

I never go into liquor stores, but I will look online.

> If you have a Hispanic market nearby look for a similar product in
> small, round, cardboard packages. A common brand is Lucas. They have
> everything from Baby Lucas (citric acid and salt) to Super Lucas with
> very hot chile, citric acid, and salt. These products taste good on
> fruit, cheese, and numerous other foods. For your purpose the Baby
> Lucas version sounds like the best bet. . Add a bit of lime zest to
> the mixture to gain the essential oils from the lime. Let that sit for
> a few days to spread the oils throughout the mixture then try it on
> nuts or chips.

No Hispanic markets any more. Used to be one but it's gone.

> You can also find sour salt in the home canning section of some
> stores.

Okay. Thanks!

Cheri[_3_] 02-04-2009 06:14 AM

Lime stuff

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message

> You can also find sour salt in the home canning section of some
> stores.

Hey, long time no see. Glad you're back.

Cheri

Evelyn 02-04-2009 11:54 AM

Lime stuff

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:03:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>So I bought a bag of Lay's Limon potato chips. They just looked appealing
>>to me. I don't normally like potato chips. But I freakin' LOVE these
>>things! The lime taste is sooo strong and good. But I realize that
>>potato
>>chips aren't very good for me to be eating. Not often anyway.
>>
>>Then I got to remembering the Wine Nuts that I bought a few years ago.
>>They
>>were very good with a nice lime flavor too! But they were expensive and
>>contained sugar. I did try to re-create this on my own but couldn't get
>>the
>>good strong flavor that they did.
>>
>>So I got to thinking... Is there a way to get a strong lime flavor into
>>peanuts? I would prefer them not to have a sweet flavor. Just salty. I
>>have seen plenty of recipes (and product for sale) for chili lime peanuts.
>>I don't think I would like these. I like chili just fine. But I don't
>>think I would like it on nuts. I generally don't like foods that are
>>flavored like other things. Why I like the lime...I just don't know.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

> Take a look in a liquor store for a product called "Twang" or similar.
> It's a mixture of "sour salt" (citric acid) and salt. I've seen it in
> packets near the register of several stores here in Texas.
>
> If you have a Hispanic market nearby look for a similar product in
> small, round, cardboard packages. A common brand is Lucas. They have
> everything from Baby Lucas (citric acid and salt) to Super Lucas with
> very hot chile, citric acid, and salt. These products taste good on
> fruit, cheese, and numerous other foods. For your purpose the Baby
> Lucas version sounds like the best bet. . Add a bit of lime zest to
> the mixture to gain the essential oils from the lime. Let that sit for
> a few days to spread the oils throughout the mixture then try it on
> nuts or chips.
>
> You can also find sour salt in the home canning section of some
> stores.
>
> ------
> Pete Romfh, telecom geek and amateur gourmet.
> Houston, TX, USA

Welcome back, Pete. You have been missed!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

DLynch[_2_] 02-04-2009 05:22 PM

Lime stuff

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
>
>> Take a look in a liquor store for a product called "Twang" or similar.
>> It's a mixture of "sour salt" (citric acid) and salt. I've seen it in
>> packets near the register of several stores here in Texas.

> I never go into liquor stores, but I will look online.

If your supermarket has beer, that is where it will be. My container of
Twang looks like a tiny plastic beer bottle, but I have also seen packets
and little drums.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 02-04-2009 09:55 PM

Lime stuff

Pete Romfh wrote:

> Pete Romfh, telecom geek and amateur gourmet.
> Houston, TX, USA

Where have you been? Haven't seen you in a while and was worried. I
think I asked about you on r.f.c when someone mentioned your name. Hope
all is well in Houston.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

Julie Bove 02-04-2009 10:05 PM

Lime stuff

"DLynch" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Take a look in a liquor store for a product called "Twang" or similar.
>>> It's a mixture of "sour salt" (citric acid) and salt. I've seen it in
>>> packets near the register of several stores here in Texas.

>> I never go into liquor stores, but I will look online.

> If your supermarket has beer, that is where it will be. My container of
> Twang looks like a tiny plastic beer bottle, but I have also seen packets
> and little drums.

Yes, beer and wine is sold in the supermarket. I saw this stuff online. It
is not just lime though but lemon lime. At least that's all I saw. I don't
know that I have ever seen this though. Only margarita salt. But then,
I've never actually looked.