Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Mushrooms for thickener

I am making tuna casserole tonight and I can't believe I didn't hit on this
earlier. We can't use prepared cream of mushroom soup because of the cream
in it and usually wheat. So I make my own with rice milk and I was using a
gluten free flour. Somehow I hit on the idea of powdering the dried
mushrooms that I use. Angela likes the flavor of them but not the texture.
When made to a powder (using the Magic Bullet), she eats them with no
complaints. Now I do add some fresh mushrooms to this, but I chop them
finely in the Magic Bullet. No complaints about that either.

Anyway... I noticed when I made this, the powdered mushrooms were
thickening the sauce way too much and I'd have to add more rice milk. I'd
wind up with way too much sauce and would then just make two casseroles.
But I didn't want to do this. I only wanted enough for the one meal, plus
maybe one leftover portion for Angela's lunch the following day.

So I got to thinking... What if I left out the flour and used just the
mushrooms? Well, it worked! It worked just a little too well. I still had
to add a little rice milk to thin down the mix. I started with about 2 cups
of milk (I didn't measure) and enough mushrooms to loosely fill my Magic
Bullet.

Now I must add the mushrooms I used come from Costco. They are in a huge
plastic jar for about $10. They do not look like the shriveled up dried
things you get in a tiny plastic packet from the grocery store. So those
might not work in the same manner. Also, the Costco mushrooms require much
less soaking time than the ones you get at the grocery store. Actually I
used to dehydrate my own fresh ones at a low temp and the resulting slices
look like the ones I get from Costco.

I find that the powdered mushrooms add a really intense mushroom flavor to
the dish. I should think these would be good in any gravies or sauces where
you want (or don't mind) a mushroom flavor. And they are low in carbs!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

Jeff Nathan, a NYC restaurant owner and chef uses powdered dry porcini
mushrooms to bread fish or chicken in some recipes.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> Jeff Nathan, a NYC restaurant owner and chef uses powdered dry porcini
> mushrooms to bread fish or chicken in some recipes.

Really? I had never heard of that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sounds great to me!

i love mushrooms.

in fact ive found a lazy way to make breakfast every day this week..i used
food processor and sliced like 10 cartons of mushrooms and 1 large onion and
some fresh garlic and keep it in a big container.

i also keep my bacon fat from frying bacon in fridge.

so when i wake up i put a spoon of bacon fat into the pan and when its
melted and rocket hot i toss a huge handful of the shroom-onion-garlic mix
into the pan and add herbs and salt and pepper and when thats cook i beat
some eggs and mix thos in and make a omlet.

if im extra hungry i will add cheese.

tasty start to the day

you could fry shallots in the pan and beat your eggs or egg sub with the
shroom powder..would be good too with some rice cheese for a omlette

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I am making tuna casserole tonight and I can't believe I didn't hit on this
>earlier. We can't use prepared cream of mushroom soup because of the cream
>in it and usually wheat. So I make my own with rice milk and I was using a
>gluten free flour. Somehow I hit on the idea of powdering the dried
>mushrooms that I use. Angela likes the flavor of them but not the texture.
>When made to a powder (using the Magic Bullet), she eats them with no
>complaints. Now I do add some fresh mushrooms to this, but I chop them
>finely in the Magic Bullet. No complaints about that either.
>
> Anyway... I noticed when I made this, the powdered mushrooms were
> thickening the sauce way too much and I'd have to add more rice milk. I'd
> wind up with way too much sauce and would then just make two casseroles.
> But I didn't want to do this. I only wanted enough for the one meal, plus
> maybe one leftover portion for Angela's lunch the following day.
>
> So I got to thinking... What if I left out the flour and used just the
> mushrooms? Well, it worked! It worked just a little too well. I still
> had to add a little rice milk to thin down the mix. I started with about
> 2 cups of milk (I didn't measure) and enough mushrooms to loosely fill my
> Magic Bullet.
>
> Now I must add the mushrooms I used come from Costco. They are in a huge
> plastic jar for about $10. They do not look like the shriveled up dried
> things you get in a tiny plastic packet from the grocery store. So those
> might not work in the same manner. Also, the Costco mushrooms require
> much less soaking time than the ones you get at the grocery store.
> Actually I used to dehydrate my own fresh ones at a low temp and the
> resulting slices look like the ones I get from Costco.
>
> I find that the powdered mushrooms add a really intense mushroom flavor to
> the dish. I should think these would be good in any gravies or sauces
> where you want (or don't mind) a mushroom flavor. And they are low in
> carbs!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message

<snip>

> you could fry shallots in the pan and beat your eggs or egg sub with the
> shroom powder..would be good too with some rice cheese for a omlette

Not with a severe egg allergy, I couldn't. I won't even cook eggs. I will
buy hard cooked for Angela or get them for her in a restaurant. Just being
around them cooking is enough to make me sick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I find that the powdered mushrooms add a really intense mushroom flavor
> to the dish. I should think these would be good in any gravies or sauces
> where you want (or don't mind) a mushroom flavor. And they are low in
> carbs!

Thanks for the idea, Julie.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Jeff Nathan, a NYC restaurant owner and chef uses powdered dry porcini
> mushrooms to bread fish or chicken in some recipes.

Another great idea. Thanks, Sis.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i said egg sub..lol

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
>> you could fry shallots in the pan and beat your eggs or egg sub with the
>> shroom powder..would be good too with some rice cheese for a omlette

> Not with a severe egg allergy, I couldn't. I won't even cook eggs. I
> will buy hard cooked for Angela or get them for her in a restaurant. Just
> being around them cooking is enough to make me sick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>i said egg sub..lol

You can not make actual eggs to eat with an egg sub. It only works
sometimes in baking, and usually not. Things like Egg Beaters do contain
egg.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "krom" > wrote in message
>> i said egg sub..lol

> You can not make actual eggs to eat with an egg sub. It only works
> sometimes in baking, and usually not. Things like Egg Beaters do contain
> egg.

I make my breakfast with Egg Beaters® all of the time. It makes a lovely
omelet or scrambled eggs. The first, and primary ingredient is egg whites.

I have used Egg Beaters® in all kinds of cooking situations, like to dip
fish into before putting on a "breading" coat. I have even made pumpkin
pies using Egg Beaters® and no one was the wiser.

I only use the original Egg Beaters® brand. I have not found another
brand I like as well.

I honestly don't know where you get some of your information, Julie.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> sounds great to me!
>
> i love mushrooms.
>
> in fact ive found a lazy way to make breakfast every day this week..i used
> food processor and sliced like 10 cartons of mushrooms and 1 large onion
> and some fresh garlic and keep it in a big container.
>
> i also keep my bacon fat from frying bacon in fridge.
>
> so when i wake up i put a spoon of bacon fat into the pan and when its
> melted and rocket hot i toss a huge handful of the shroom-onion-garlic mix
> into the pan and add herbs and salt and pepper and when thats cook i beat
> some eggs and mix thos in and make a omlet.
>
> if im extra hungry i will add cheese.
>
> tasty start to the day
>
> you could fry shallots in the pan and beat your eggs or egg sub with the
> shroom powder..would be good too with some rice cheese for a omlette
>

> KROM
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I am making tuna casserole tonight and I can't believe I didn't hit on
>>this earlier. We can't use prepared cream of mushroom soup because of the
>>cream in it and usually wheat. So I make my own with rice milk and I was
>>using a gluten free flour. Somehow I hit on the idea of powdering the
>>dried mushrooms that I use. Angela likes the flavor of them but not the
>>texture. When made to a powder (using the Magic Bullet), she eats them
>>with no complaints. Now I do add some fresh mushrooms to this, but I chop
>>them finely in the Magic Bullet. No complaints about that either.
>>
>> Anyway... I noticed when I made this, the powdered mushrooms were
>> thickening the sauce way too much and I'd have to add more rice milk.
>> I'd wind up with way too much sauce and would then just make two
>> casseroles. But I didn't want to do this. I only wanted enough for the
>> one meal, plus maybe one leftover portion for Angela's lunch the
>> following day.
>>
>> So I got to thinking... What if I left out the flour and used just the
>> mushrooms? Well, it worked! It worked just a little too well. I still
>> had to add a little rice milk to thin down the mix. I started with about
>> 2 cups of milk (I didn't measure) and enough mushrooms to loosely fill my
>> Magic Bullet.
>>
>> Now I must add the mushrooms I used come from Costco. They are in a huge
>> plastic jar for about $10. They do not look like the shriveled up dried
>> things you get in a tiny plastic packet from the grocery store. So those
>> might not work in the same manner. Also, the Costco mushrooms require
>> much less soaking time than the ones you get at the grocery store.
>> Actually I used to dehydrate my own fresh ones at a low temp and the
>> resulting slices look like the ones I get from Costco.
>>
>> I find that the powdered mushrooms add a really intense mushroom flavor
>> to the dish. I should think these would be good in any gravies or sauces
>> where you want (or don't mind) a mushroom flavor. And they are low in
>> carbs!

How long does this keep for you? And do you use any special method? I ask
because I love mushrooms, especially in salads and scrambled eggs or omelet.
However, I find that mushrooms--either sliced or whole--only last for a few
days in my refrig. The best way I have found to "maintain" them is to
loosely wrap a paper towel around the box, but that only extends their life
for a very short time.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "krom" > wrote in message
>>> i said egg sub..lol

>> You can not make actual eggs to eat with an egg sub. It only works
>> sometimes in baking, and usually not. Things like Egg Beaters do contain
>> egg.

> I make my breakfast with Egg Beaters® all of the time. It makes a lovely
> omelet or scrambled eggs. The first, and primary ingredient is egg
> whites.
>
> I have used Egg Beaters® in all kinds of cooking situations, like to dip
> fish into before putting on a "breading" coat. I have even made pumpkin
> pies using Egg Beaters® and no one was the wiser.
>
> I only use the original Egg Beaters® brand. I have not found another brand
> I like as well.
>
> I honestly don't know where you get some of your information, Julie.

That's exactly what I said! Egg Beaters contain egg. I am allergic to egg
so can not eat them. I am not just allergic to the yolk but the whole egg.

He said he told me to eat an egg sub. I don't know of any egg sub that does
not contain at least part of the egg that can be eaten as an egg. The
Ener-G egg sub is mainly potato starch. It can be used in some baking. It
can NOT be used as an omelet, scrambled eggs, or mayo.

I think YOU need to take reading for comprehension.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I was saying I didn't know of an egg sub that could be eaten as eggs that
> didn't actually contain eggs. I know some people do scrambled tofu but I
> can't have soy either.

I believe you're right about the egg sub too.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:41:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>I find that the powdered mushrooms add a really intense mushroom flavor to
>the dish. I should think these would be good in any gravies or sauces where
>you want (or don't mind) a mushroom flavor. And they are low in carbs!

Nice idea! I'll try that, thanks!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> How long does this keep for you? And do you use any special method? I
> ask because I love mushrooms, especially in salads and scrambled eggs or
> omelet. However, I find that mushrooms--either sliced or whole--only last
> for a few days in my refrig. The best way I have found to "maintain"
> them is to loosely wrap a paper towel around the box, but that only
> extends their life for a very short time.

My wife just bought three pkgs of King Oyster 'shrooms. With four adults
and four kids, they won't last long.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> How long does this keep for you? And do you use any special method? I
>> ask because I love mushrooms, especially in salads and scrambled eggs or
>> omelet. However, I find that mushrooms--either sliced or whole--only last
>> for a few days in my refrig. The best way I have found to "maintain"
>> them is to loosely wrap a paper towel around the box, but that only
>> extends their life for a very short time.

> My wife just bought three pkgs of King Oyster 'shrooms. With four adults
> and four kids, they won't last long.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Since I cook for one (myself), they last longer. I can sometimes buy them
"by the piece," but it's a lot cheaper to buy a small box of them, even with
waste. I would like to find a way to extend their shelf (refrigerator)
life, if that's possible.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Since im frying them in a skillet with fat they dont need to be the same
texture as if were eating in salad.

They last me about a week in the fridge in a lock-n-lock container (love
those).

I am sure the fresh onion and garlic preserve them somewhat since i am
slicing the shrooms with the onion and garlic and keeping together in same
container.

As far as fresh mushrooms unsliced it is hard to keep them for more then a
couple days..which is why i went to the sliced/onion/garlic method.

I have heard keeping them in a paper bag is good wrapped in paper towel.

If i recall you cant keep potato or bannana near them or they go bad faster
or some such..might be wrong.

KROM

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote
> How long does this keep for you? And do you use any special method? I
> ask because I love mushrooms, especially in salads and scrambled eggs or
> omelet. However, I find that mushrooms--either sliced or whole--only last
> for a few days in my refrig. The best way I have found to "maintain" them
> is to loosely wrap a paper towel around the box, but that only extends
> their life for a very short time.
>
> MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Since im frying them in a skillet with fat they dont need to be the same
> texture as if were eating in salad.
>
> They last me about a week in the fridge in a lock-n-lock container (love
> those).
>
> I am sure the fresh onion and garlic preserve them somewhat since i am
> slicing the shrooms with the onion and garlic and keeping together in same
> container.
>
> As far as fresh mushrooms unsliced it is hard to keep them for more then a
> couple days..which is why i went to the sliced/onion/garlic method.
>
> I have heard keeping them in a paper bag is good wrapped in paper towel.
>
> If i recall you cant keep potato or bannana near them or they go bad
> faster or some such..might be wrong.
>
> KROM

Thanks! I think I'll try that.

MaryL