Old 28-03-2009, 12:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Mushrooms for thickener

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:
[ . . . ]
How long does this keep for you? And do you use any special method? I
ask because I love mushrooms, especially in salads and scrambled eggs or
omelet. However, I find that mushrooms--either sliced or whole--only last
for a few days in my refrig. The best way I have found to "maintain"
them is to loosely wrap a paper towel around the box, but that only
extends their life for a very short time.

My wife just bought three pkgs of King Oyster 'shrooms. With four adults
and four kids, they won't last long.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Since I cook for one (myself), they last longer. I can sometimes buy them
"by the piece," but it's a lot cheaper to buy a small box of them, even with
waste. I would like to find a way to extend their shelf (refrigerator)
life, if that's possible.

MaryL

Old 28-03-2009, 08:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Since im frying them in a skillet with fat they dont need to be the same
texture as if were eating in salad.

They last me about a week in the fridge in a lock-n-lock container (love
those).

I am sure the fresh onion and garlic preserve them somewhat since i am
slicing the shrooms with the onion and garlic and keeping together in same
container.

As far as fresh mushrooms unsliced it is hard to keep them for more then a
couple days..which is why i went to the sliced/onion/garlic method.

I have heard keeping them in a paper bag is good wrapped in paper towel.

If i recall you cant keep potato or bannana near them or they go bad faster
or some such..might be wrong.

KROM

Old 28-03-2009, 02:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" wrote in message
Since im frying them in a skillet with fat they dont need to be the same
texture as if were eating in salad.

They last me about a week in the fridge in a lock-n-lock container (love
those).

I am sure the fresh onion and garlic preserve them somewhat since i am
slicing the shrooms with the onion and garlic and keeping together in same
container.

As far as fresh mushrooms unsliced it is hard to keep them for more then a
couple days..which is why i went to the sliced/onion/garlic method.

I have heard keeping them in a paper bag is good wrapped in paper towel.

If i recall you cant keep potato or bannana near them or they go bad
faster or some such..might be wrong.

KROM

Thanks! I think I'll try that.

MaryL