Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Carba Nada test

x-no-arachive: yes

krom wrote:
> these things are so hit and miss too..some days i can eat huge plate
> dreamfields no prob at all..others a measured serving spikes me bad and
> keeps me raised long after.
>
> frustrating..

Well, Carba Nada isn't faking being low carb the way Dreamfield's is.
It's lower calorie, it's reduced carb and they claim that it's very low
GI, not low carb.

25 minutes to my next test.

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:22:23 -0500, "krom"
> wrote:

>annoys me cause dreamfeilds worked for me until very recently..i suspect
>they stopped making it the same way ..bait and switch it feels like to me.

Did it coincide with the packet size change? It still works for me,
but I'd gotten used to just dividing a packet in half for the 4 of us
- having to weigh it out again is a PITA.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no i used a food scale..before i could eat 2 servings no problem..now 1
measued serving gives me troubles.

at least the noodles do..i need to try the spegetti again

KROM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:22:23 -0500, "krom"
> > wrote:
>
>>annoys me cause dreamfeilds worked for me until very recently..i suspect
>>they stopped making it the same way ..bait and switch it feels like to me.

> Did it coincide with the packet size change? It still works for me,
> but I'd gotten used to just dividing a packet in half for the 4 of us
> - having to weigh it out again is a PITA.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> annoys me cause dreamfeilds worked for me until very recently..i suspect
> they stopped making it the same way ..bait and switch it feels like to me.

Not necessarily. DH used to be able to do Dreamfield's, too. Now he
can't any longer. The pasta was from the same purchase so I don't think
they changed the formula. Apparently it just stops working. Maybe the
body learns to digest the so-called indigestible carbs???

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> Tip from a lazy cook; just pierce it DEEPLY (or have it explode and come
> out of the microwave, uh, pre shredded) in several spots and nuke it
> for 15-20 minutes on high before cutting it open and shredding. I put a
> paper towel under it.

I used to make it. I know about piercing squash. I once blew up an acorn
squash <g> I had not heard of the paper towel. Usually one puts a little
water in the dish under the squash half.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> Tip from a lazy cook; just pierce it DEEPLY (or have it explode and come
> out of the microwave, uh, pre shredded) in several spots and nuke it for
> 15-20 minutes on high before cutting it open and shredding. I put a paper
> towel under it.
>
> Susan

I really hate when things explode in the microwave. What a mess.

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Susan wrote:
> > Janet Wilder wrote:
> >
> >> Not necessarily. DH used to be able to do Dreamfield's, too. Now he
> >> can't any longer. The pasta was from the same purchase so I don't
> >> think they changed the formula. Apparently it just stops working.
> >> Maybe the body learns to digest the so-called indigestible carbs???

> > I think that's really possible. The body probably adapts by producing
> > the digestive enzymes needed. If that's true, it might be helpful to
> > take a long vacation from it and see if that helps, then eat it only
> > rarely.
> >
> > That could end up becoming an issue with Carba Nada, maybe, but I think
> > it relies on GI more than being resistant, though resistant starch is
> > one of its constituents.

> We are taking a long vacation from pasta. Going to try spaghetti squash
> tonight.
>
> Might try this recipe for an Alfredo, though I'll use half parm and half
> romano as I don't have any asagio:
>
> 5 Minute Microwave Alfredo Sauce
>[recipe snipped]

Sounds good, Janet. Perhaps a bit late for tonight, but I use Heavy Cream
instead of milk (more diabetes-friendly to me). Also, blending the hard
cheeses is nice, but not necessary. Even just one of them will work fine.

I only use durum semolina pasta. I only have 1/2 cup of it (usually).

Nick's Alfredo Sauce (my daughter makes this all the time):

6 tablespoons (3/4 of a stick) unsalted (regular OK) butter, at room
temperature
3 tablespoons EVOO
minced garlic to taste
optional - 12 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 c. grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan), at room temperature,
1/2 c. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
plus extra cheese to pass at the table
1 cup heavy cream, very lightly whipped
1/4 c. parsley, oregano, basil or combination, fresh
Salt and freshly ground pepper (use white pepper if you have it) to taste

Note that we have also used Asiago and/or Grana Padano cheese. Depends on
what's on hand. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Jacquie wrote:

>> I had shrimp scampi over spaghetti squash a couple of months ago...as
>> you said not a good substitute for pasta, but it sure has a great
>> nutty like texture and the flavor does mesh with Italian sauces well.
>> I have never tried an Alfredo over it though, I am interested in what
>> Janet has to say after she has tried it.
>> Jacquie

> I'll try to remember to report back.

The Alfredo sauce was not good. Much, too salty! I pitched it and we
had some tomato basil sauce on it instead. It was very tasty.
--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Susan wrote:
> > Janet Wilder wrote:
> >
> >> I used to make it. I know about piercing squash. I once blew up an
> >> acorn squash <g>

> > Colorful, wunnit? :-)
> >
> > I had not heard of the paper towel. Usually one puts a little
> >> water in the dish under the squash half.

> > I put the paper towel under the squash because that's what instructions
> > always used to say for potatoes, to preserve their moisture. Sometimes
> > it's stupid, because it gets wet then cooks on to the turntable. I'm a
> > slow learner.
> >
> > Susan

> I do the potato paper towel thing. One little potato for 2 people.

When nuking potatoes, I fork them all over, put them in a ceramic bowl with
a little olive oil, roll them around to coat all over, then nuke away.
Split open, add butter, sour cream, s&p and chives (or green onion rings),
eat (including the skins). Works for me.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> annoys me cause dreamfeilds worked for me until very recently..i suspect
>> they stopped making it the same way ..bait and switch it feels like to
>> me.

> Not necessarily. DH used to be able to do Dreamfield's, too. Now he can't
> any longer. The pasta was from the same purchase so I don't think they
> changed the formula. Apparently it just stops working. Maybe the body
> learns to digest the so-called indigestible carbs???

Dreamfields has always spiked me. Oddly the same portion of regular pasta,
rice pasta, corn pasta or even quinoa pasta does not.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Susan wrote:
>
>> Tip from a lazy cook; just pierce it DEEPLY (or have it explode and come
>> out of the microwave, uh, pre shredded) in several spots and nuke it for
>> 15-20 minutes on high before cutting it open and shredding. I put a
>> paper towel under it.

> I used to make it. I know about piercing squash. I once blew up an acorn
> squash <g> I had not heard of the paper towel. Usually one puts a little
> water in the dish under the squash half.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> way-the-heck-south Texas
> spelling doesn't count
> but cooking does

To bad about the sauce Janet.
I cook my squash like you do. I love acorn squash...I like it with a little
salt and butter....nothing else
Jacquie

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

possibly..altho..with the maccaroni noodles..they um...came out same way
they went in..lol

so that was wierd and rather disconcerting.

KROM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> annoys me cause dreamfeilds worked for me until very recently..i suspect
>> they stopped making it the same way ..bait and switch it feels like to
>> me.

> Not necessarily. DH used to be able to do Dreamfield's, too. Now he can't
> any longer. The pasta was from the same purchase so I don't think they
> changed the formula. Apparently it just stops working. Maybe the body
> learns to digest the so-called indigestible carbs???
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> way-the-heck-south Texas
> spelling doesn't count
> but cooking does

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Susan wrote:

>>> Colorful, wunnit? :-)
>>>
>>> I had not heard of the paper towel. Usually one puts a little
>>> I put the paper towel under the squash because that's what instructions
>>> always used to say for potatoes, to preserve their moisture. Sometimes
>>> it's stupid, because it gets wet then cooks on to the turntable. I'm a
>>> slow learner.
>>>
>>> Susan

>> I do the potato paper towel thing. One little potato for 2 people.

> When nuking potatoes, I fork them all over, put them in a ceramic bowl with
> a little olive oil, roll them around to coat all over, then nuke away.
> Split open, add butter, sour cream, s&p and chives (or green onion rings),
> eat (including the skins). Works for me.

I poke holes in them, too. When they are done, I wrap them in aluminum
foil and let them sit for a little bit. Try it. It makes them taste more
like they were done in the oven. I think it's trapping the steam.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-arclhive: yes

Janet Wilder wrote:

> He could eat the noodles. Would he like the noodles is something else. I
> cook for the two of us. I eat what he eats so making soy-based food is
> not going to happen when I can't eat it.

Okey dokey. :-)

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Susan wrote:
> > Janet Wilder wrote:
> >
> >> I do the potato paper towel thing. One little potato for 2 people.

> > We don't ever do potatoes, except an occasional small sweet potato for
> > two of us. I nuke them part way, then bake on high for that wonderful
> > carmelization goo. Tom is low carb, too, just for weight and
> > preventive health reasons.

> DH does not spike on potatoes as long as we are using portion control.
> 15 to 20 grams of carbs in a portion will not bother him. He does a
> bolus to cover. Certain things will spike him despite an adequate bolus
> like rice...brown, white, short, long...matters not. Rice is a no-no.

I can have a small potato, usually nuked and served with butter, sour
cream, green onion rings and FGBP. Nice with a steak.

Rice is sugar! One tablespoon spikes me! Sad, because I love Thai sticky
rice and stir-fried rice with egg, pork or shrimp. <sigh>

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Susan wrote:
> > Janet Wilder wrote:
> >
> >> DH does not spike on potatoes as long as we are using portion control.
> >> 15 to 20 grams of carbs in a portion will not bother him. He does a
> >> bolus to cover. Certain things will spike him despite an adequate
> >> bolus like rice...brown, white, short, long...matters not. Rice is a
> >> no-no.

> > We avoid high starch foods whether they spike us or not, hoping to
> > avoid excess insulinemia, too. Plus, we just don't miss them. Only
> > exception is occasionally I'll put one small Idaho with skin into
> > fauxtatoes made with a whole head of cauliflower. It really makes it
> > seem like real mashed potatoes. Tom is Irish, after all.

> The only high-starch food we eat is potato and that's because he
> tolerates them well. A dietitian once told me that the "carbohydrate
> chain" whatever that means is longer for potatoes and that's why some
> DMs can do them and not wheat-based starches.
>
> He can also handle portion-controlled sweet potato and his 14 grams net
> carb for 2 slices bread.

I've found that the only bread I can handle is one slice of dark rye or
pumpernickel and that only late in the day.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> At least he's educable. ;-)

He'd get a kick out of your response. He's a retired special ed teacher.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

carba nadda KROM Diabetic 1 09-02-2011 09:28 PM
Susan - on carba nada Robert Miles Diabetic 0 25-03-2009 06:01 AM
Susan - on carba nada Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 0 24-03-2009 07:47 PM
"10 usd es nada" bramar Mexican Cooking 1 16-10-2006 11:28 PM