Old 21-03-2009, 11:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Carba Nada test

Janet Wilder wrote:
Susan wrote:
Janet Wilder wrote:

DH does not spike on potatoes as long as we are using portion control.
15 to 20 grams of carbs in a portion will not bother him. He does a
bolus to cover. Certain things will spike him despite an adequate
bolus like rice...brown, white, short, long...matters not. Rice is a
no-no.

We avoid high starch foods whether they spike us or not, hoping to
avoid excess insulinemia, too. Plus, we just don't miss them. Only
exception is occasionally I'll put one small Idaho with skin into
fauxtatoes made with a whole head of cauliflower. It really makes it
seem like real mashed potatoes. Tom is Irish, after all.

The only high-starch food we eat is potato and that's because he
tolerates them well. A dietitian once told me that the "carbohydrate
chain" whatever that means is longer for potatoes and that's why some
DMs can do them and not wheat-based starches.

He can also handle portion-controlled sweet potato and his 14 grams net
carb for 2 slices bread.

I've found that the only bread I can handle is one slice of dark rye or
pumpernickel and that only late in the day.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Old 22-03-2009, 02:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

At least he's educable. ;-)

He'd get a kick out of your response. He's a retired special ed teacher.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

carba nadda KROM Diabetic 1 09-02-2011 08:28 PM
Susan - on carba nada Robert Miles Diabetic 0 25-03-2009 05:01 AM
Susan - on carba nada Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 0 24-03-2009 06:47 PM
"10 usd es nada" bramar Mexican Cooking 1 16-10-2006 11:28 PM