Old 18-03-2009, 05:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Uses for shallots

my problem mostly was they never sent any mail to me at home reminding me of
when my dies were so id forget decide to shop and the 100 dollar item
becomes 160..lol

It is also way across town to a area id never otherwise go..i have a walmart
and target etc within 2 miles of me and the club stores are a hours drive
away.

KROM

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"krom" wrote in message
yum!

i had a sams club mebership..never used it nuff to justify the cost.

I've never been to Sam's Club. Never lived near one. Was a member of a
similar place that was next door to the K Mart where I used to work. They
offered free memberships for certain circumstances. In my case, the
credit union I belong to was enough to get me the free membership. I was
single at the time and rarely was able to shop there because I couldn't
use things in that large of a quantity. Did spend a lot the first time I
went there on Christmas presents, but they never had stuff like that
again. They were only open for a couple of years. They were good when I
needed to make food for a potluck at work. I used to buy olives for pasta
salad there for cheap! Had I had to pay for a membership, I wouldn't have
bothered.

I put off getting a Costco membership for years. Now I go there at least
twice a month. I get most of my paper products there. Have to buy one
ply tissue for one of my toilets so can't get that there. Other things I
get on a regular basis are sliced apples, baby carrots, celery, potatoes,
peppers, mushrooms, lunch meat, chicken breasts, ground beef, cheese,
hummus, toothpaste and other toiletries, some canned goods, nuts and other
snacks, bottled water and juice. Quite a bit of what they sell does come
in quantities more than what we can reasonably use. And we don't have a
lot of storage space. But just buying those things really does save me a
lot of money and I have to buy a lot less at the regular grocery stores.

Old 19-03-2009, 12:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

I won't set foot in Walmart stores, but I'm sure you can save on
household supplies. I just don't think they have food there, IIRC, that
I'd want to buy.

Susan

Actually, the Super WalMarts have pretty good prices on some
shelf-stable groceries. Some states don't have the Super WalMarts with
the groceries.

I don't buy meat there because they inject everything with salt. Their
produce does not stay fresh very long, either. I believe it is because
of their logistics with the distribution center being far from our area
and everything having to keep longer in a warehouse.

WalMart has good buys on fabrics, hardware and housewares. I buy their
tee shirts for about $6 each and they last me at least 3 years before
they shrink too much. They have a "White Stag" label in them, though I
believe it is a special line White Stag makes for WalMart along. In any
event, $6 tee shirts that last 3 years is a pretty good bargain.

Susan, you remind me of my daughter. One year we gave her a K-Mart gift
certificate for Chanukah. She was either a Senior in High School or a
Freshman in college and she never redeemed the certificate because one
of her friends might have seen her going into K-Mart.

A bargain is a bargain. I'll shop at outlet centers and fancy department
stores to find one. My DH says he will have my tombstone inscribed: "she
never paid retail" and I know someone who will give him a discount on
the tombstone. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Old 19-03-2009, 12:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
I will buy packaged food at Wal-Mart but not fresh food...their produce is
awful . I have bought steak there and it is tough. I don't shop there often
but it's not because of all the reasons allot of people don't , they just
don't have what I want

Jacquie the food at Sam's is totally different than that at Walmart. I
know it is the same company, but the quality is vastly different. The
steaks are top notch, by the way, unlike Walmart.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 19-03-2009, 01:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
Susan wrote:

[...]

The Wal-Marts here and in Tucson said they were going to start buying
produce locally....I don't know if they have or not...will have to check it
out the next time I go. I got my last prescriptions there, because the
pharmacy I usually go to didn't have one of my pills in stock and I was out.
I liked it when Wal-Mart carried JMS jeans in plus petites....they don't
have them now , I don't care for the White Stag fit. When I noticed the pick
of JMS was disappearing we went to a big Wal-Mart in Phoenix ,when we
visited my son in Scottsdale. I bought a whole bunch of the different
colors....they are a bit worn now

Old 19-03-2009, 04:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

[...]

I was not used to shopping at Walmart at one point in my life because we
simply did not have them here. I had been in them a few times in PA where
my in-laws live.

Then during a cross country move, I was starved for fresh produce. I looked
in the phone book for the nearest grocery store and it was Walmart. I went
wild in there, buying diet soda, bottled water, all sorts of fruits and
vegetables that could be washed and eaten as is or cut up with a plastic
knife. I also bought some cooked boiled eggs and cheese. This was in the
days before we knew of our food allergies. It was also in the days before
organic produce was common.

I don't know about the meat. I have heard bad things about it, but heard
the same said for meats in some of our local markets.

The only meat I've ever bought and had an issue with is from Albertson's,
both here and in CA. Their store brand packaged ground beef has an odd
flavor and smell to it while cooking. I once got a beef roast and it
smelled vile when cooking. As a child, my mom refused to buy their meat but
she didn't say why. People have told me if you get the meat from their
butcher counter instead of the prepackaged kind, it is fine.

They now sell grass fed organic beef. If I do buy any beef there at all, it
is that.

Old 19-03-2009, 06:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

Jacquie the food at Sam's is totally different than that at Walmart. I
know it is the same company, but the quality is vastly different. The
steaks are top notch, by the way, unlike Walmart.

We buy our steaks at Sam's Club. We don't have Costco (though there was
some talk recently of one coming to McAllen about 40 miles away). The
meat is excellent quality and nothing is injected in it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Old 19-03-2009, 08:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Janet Wilder wrote:

Evelyn wrote:

Jacquie the food at Sam's is totally different than that at Walmart. I
know it is the same company, but the quality is vastly different. The
steaks are top notch, by the way, unlike Walmart.

We buy our steaks at Sam's Club. We don't have Costco (though there was
some talk recently of one coming to McAllen about 40 miles away). The
meat is excellent quality and nothing is injected in it.

Speaking of which, I just had a horrible run of migraines after giving
in and buying some regular ground beef at Shaws (rather than grass fed
beef via mail or whatever). I ate it in different meals three days in a
row, twice yesterday, with smaller migraines the previous two days and a
massive horrible one last night that robbed me of sleep.

Does anyone know if Shaws adds anything to their ground beef?

Priscilla
Old 20-03-2009, 02:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" wrote in message

You don't have a Costco? Hard without a car, unless you live a short walk
away, though. My daughter has one two blocks from her and uses a granny
cart and frequent trips. Since we're paying her expenses while she's in
school, we bought the membership and it costs less to feed her.
She loves lamb and she's a very ambitious cook.

Apparently they are not in all areas. I don't think they have them in PA.

Old 20-03-2009, 03:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

I will go have a look as I have to vote in a state election tomorrow and
that butcher is not much further.

Strewth are we letting youz immigrants vote too?

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 20-03-2009, 04:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:
Ozgirl wrote:

I will go have a look as I have to vote in a state election tomorrow
and that butcher is not much further.

Strewth are we letting youz immigrants vote too?

Sure are

Old 20-03-2009, 03:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
"Susan" wrote in message

You don't have a Costco? Hard without a car, unless you live a short walk
away, though. My daughter has one two blocks from her and uses a granny
cart and frequent trips. Since we're paying her expenses while she's in
school, we bought the membership and it costs less to feed her.
She loves lamb and she's a very ambitious cook.

Apparently they are not in all areas. I don't think they have them in PA.

From Costco's web site:

Cranberry Township
Harrisburg
King of Prussia
Lancaster
Montgomeryville
Robinson
West Homestead

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 21-03-2009, 04:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
"Susan" wrote in message

You don't have a Costco? Hard without a car, unless you live a short
walk away, though. My daughter has one two blocks from her and uses a
granny cart and frequent trips. Since we're paying her expenses while
she's in school, we bought the membership and it costs less to feed her.
She loves lamb and she's a very ambitious cook.

Apparently they are not in all areas. I don't think they have them in
PA.

From Costco's web site:

Cranberry Township
Harrisburg
King of Prussia
Lancaster
Montgomeryville
Robinson
West Homestead

Okay. But there are none near where the people I know in PA live.

shallots sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 11-07-2015 02:32 AM
Shallots! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 20 25-09-2014 05:31 AM
Shallots Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 6 12-06-2010 09:37 PM
Shallots Katra General Cooking 1 29-09-2003 07:57 AM