Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Soup with lima beans?

I have a culinary challenge.

I want to repay a coworker for doing me a work favor by making him some
homemade soup. I suggested bean soup, and he said he loved lima beans.
Can anyone suggest a soup that has lima beans as a main ingredient?

Other possible ingredients: I have a one pound package of "chili cut"
wild boar defrosting in the fridge. I also will probably be going by a
favorite Asian market tomorrow after church. They have pork neck bones
there.

So, my mind is musing on a pork and lima bean soup. I'm assuming there
will be a strong stock, probably from pork neck bones I brown in the
oven. Onions are a given. For some reason I'm seeing them as very thin
half-circles.

But what seasoning? And should there be a bit of darker green in there?
Maybe dark green leaves from bok choy? How about cilantro?

Do Asians use anything like lima beans? Right now I'm mentally tasting
an Asian pork soup flavored with coriander leaves (cilantro) and also
containing onion and lima bean.

Thought? Suggestions?

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>I have a culinary challenge.
>
> I want to repay a coworker for doing me a work favor by making him some
> homemade soup. I suggested bean soup, and he said he loved lima beans.
> Can anyone suggest a soup that has lima beans as a main ingredient?
>
> Other possible ingredients: I have a one pound package of "chili cut"
> wild boar defrosting in the fridge. I also will probably be going by a
> favorite Asian market tomorrow after church. They have pork neck bones
> there.
>
> So, my mind is musing on a pork and lima bean soup. I'm assuming there
> will be a strong stock, probably from pork neck bones I brown in the
> oven. Onions are a given. For some reason I'm seeing them as very thin
> half-circles.
>
> But what seasoning? And should there be a bit of darker green in there?
> Maybe dark green leaves from bok choy? How about cilantro?
>
> Do Asians use anything like lima beans? Right now I'm mentally tasting
> an Asian pork soup flavored with coriander leaves (cilantro) and also
> containing onion and lima bean.
>
> Thought? Suggestions?

I've only ever had them as part of the vegetables in a soup. But you could
probably sub them for any soup recipe that calls for navy or white beans.
In PA, the baked beans they make are a similar recipe for what ours are here
(navy), but they use lima beans. Now I normally like lima beans, but I
don't like them baked in a sweet sauce.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>I have a culinary challenge.
>
> I want to repay a coworker for doing me a work favor by making him some
> homemade soup. I suggested bean soup, and he said he loved lima beans.
> Can anyone suggest a soup that has lima beans as a main ingredient?
>
> Other possible ingredients: I have a one pound package of "chili cut"
> wild boar defrosting in the fridge. I also will probably be going by a
> favorite Asian market tomorrow after church. They have pork neck bones
> there.
>
> So, my mind is musing on a pork and lima bean soup. I'm assuming there
> will be a strong stock, probably from pork neck bones I brown in the
> oven. Onions are a given. For some reason I'm seeing them as very thin
> half-circles.
>
> But what seasoning? And should there be a bit of darker green in there?
> Maybe dark green leaves from bok choy? How about cilantro?
>
> Do Asians use anything like lima beans? Right now I'm mentally tasting
> an Asian pork soup flavored with coriander leaves (cilantro) and also
> containing onion and lima bean.
>
> Thought? Suggestions?
>
> PP

I would make a soup like that with limagrands, those big white dried lima
beans.

For the stock I would use a small porkette ham or a ham bone.

Soak the beans over night first (best way) or do a quick soak same day....
bring to a boil, let stand for an hour and then throw that water away and do
it a second time and cook them with your ham.

Add chopped celery, carrot, onion, garlic (generous) a potato, bay leaf,
salt.

Cook it till the limas are really nice and soft.

Take out the porkette, chop the ham up and return it to the soup.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> I have a culinary challenge.
>>
>> I want to repay a coworker for doing me a work favor by making him some
>> homemade soup. I suggested bean soup, and he said he loved lima beans.
>> Can anyone suggest a soup that has lima beans as a main ingredient?
>>
>> Other possible ingredients: I have a one pound package of "chili cut"
>> wild boar defrosting in the fridge. I also will probably be going by a
>> favorite Asian market tomorrow after church. They have pork neck bones
>> there.
>>
>> So, my mind is musing on a pork and lima bean soup. I'm assuming there
>> will be a strong stock, probably from pork neck bones I brown in the
>> oven. Onions are a given. For some reason I'm seeing them as very thin
>> half-circles.
>>
>> But what seasoning? And should there be a bit of darker green in there?
>> Maybe dark green leaves from bok choy? How about cilantro?
>>
>> Do Asians use anything like lima beans? Right now I'm mentally tasting
>> an Asian pork soup flavored with coriander leaves (cilantro) and also
>> containing onion and lima bean.
>>
>> Thought? Suggestions?
>>
>> PP

> I would make a soup like that with limagrands, those big white dried
> lima beans.
>
> For the stock I would use a small porkette ham or a ham bone.
>
> Soak the beans over night first (best way) or do a quick soak same
> day.... bring to a boil, let stand for an hour and then throw that water
> away and do it a second time and cook them with your ham.
>
> Add chopped celery, carrot, onion, garlic (generous) a potato, bay leaf,
> salt.
>
> Cook it till the limas are really nice and soft.
>
> Take out the porkette, chop the ham up and return it to the soup.

smoked turkey wings are a good substitute for ham in any soup made with
beans. You can clean off the meat and add it back when done, too.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>>> I have a culinary challenge.
>>>
>>> I want to repay a coworker for doing me a work favor by making him some
>>> homemade soup. I suggested bean soup, and he said he loved lima beans.
>>> Can anyone suggest a soup that has lima beans as a main ingredient?
>>>
>>> Other possible ingredients: I have a one pound package of "chili cut"
>>> wild boar defrosting in the fridge. I also will probably be going by a
>>> favorite Asian market tomorrow after church. They have pork neck bones
>>> there.
>>>
>>> So, my mind is musing on a pork and lima bean soup. I'm assuming there
>>> will be a strong stock, probably from pork neck bones I brown in the
>>> oven. Onions are a given. For some reason I'm seeing them as very thin
>>> half-circles.
>>>
>>> But what seasoning? And should there be a bit of darker green in there?
>>> Maybe dark green leaves from bok choy? How about cilantro?
>>>
>>> Do Asians use anything like lima beans? Right now I'm mentally tasting
>>> an Asian pork soup flavored with coriander leaves (cilantro) and also
>>> containing onion and lima bean.
>>>
>>> Thought? Suggestions?
>>>
>>> PP

>> I would make a soup like that with limagrands, those big white dried lima
>> beans.
>>
>> For the stock I would use a small porkette ham or a ham bone.
>>
>> Soak the beans over night first (best way) or do a quick soak same
>> day.... bring to a boil, let stand for an hour and then throw that water
>> away and do it a second time and cook them with your ham.
>>
>> Add chopped celery, carrot, onion, garlic (generous) a potato, bay leaf,
>> salt.
>>
>> Cook it till the limas are really nice and soft.
>>
>> Take out the porkette, chop the ham up and return it to the soup.
>>

> smoked turkey wings are a good substitute for ham in any soup made with
> beans. You can clean off the meat and add it back when done, too.

Anything that will give you that nice smoky flavor.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> I would make a soup like that with limagrands, those big white dried lima
> beans.
>
> For the stock I would use a small porkette ham or a ham bone.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what a "porkette ham" is.

> Soak the beans over night first (best way) or do a quick soak same day....
> bring to a boil, let stand for an hour and then throw that water away and do
> it a second time and cook them with your ham.
>
> Add chopped celery, carrot, onion, garlic (generous) a potato, bay leaf,
> salt.
>
> Cook it till the limas are really nice and soft.
>
> Take out the porkette, chop the ham up and return it to the soup.

Hey, that sounds good! It'll have to be next weekend, since I didn't
have a chance to get beans etc this weekend, and we're getting blasted
with about a foot of snow tomorrow.

Thanks!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> smoked turkey wings are a good substitute for ham in any soup made with
> beans. You can clean off the meat and add it back when done, too.

Excellent.

Keep 'em comin' folks!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Here's a recipe I found online that sounds good...I probably wouldn't put
allot of the cayenne in ..maybe a few drops of pepper sauce instead...just
to add a quiet bite I suppose you could add ham instead of smoked turkey I
sometimes add a few chunks of smoked pork chops in my bean...adds a bit more
flavor then just ham....

Four meal size servings:

1 pound dried baby lima beans, soaked over night
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 small – medium onions, finely chopped
½ pound smoked turkey in a thick slice, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 tablespoons canola oil
¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken stock, plus 1 qt water (or use all water)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Optional:
½ cup bread crumbs
1 cup grated Romano of Parmesan cheese
½ cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in a pot and sauté onions and carrots until softened. Add bay leaf
and
cayenne and cook another minute or so. Drain and rinse beans and add to pot
along with the turkey, stock and water. Bring to a boil, and then lower to a
simmer. Check beans at one hour and every 10 minutes until they are soft.
Using a wooden spoon or spatula mash some beans against the side of the pot,
stirring until soup is slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, put soup in oven proof bowls and top with the mixed crumbs and
cheese. Place under broiler until topping is golden brown and serve
garnished
with the chopped parsley. With a green salad and crusty bread this makes a
healthy and satisfying winter meal.

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>I have a culinary challenge.
>
> I want to repay a coworker for doing me a work favor by making him some
> homemade soup. I suggested bean soup, and he said he loved lima beans.
> Can anyone suggest a soup that has lima beans as a main ingredient?
>
> Other possible ingredients: I have a one pound package of "chili cut"
> wild boar defrosting in the fridge. I also will probably be going by a
> favorite Asian market tomorrow after church. They have pork neck bones
> there.
>
> So, my mind is musing on a pork and lima bean soup. I'm assuming there
> will be a strong stock, probably from pork neck bones I brown in the
> oven. Onions are a given. For some reason I'm seeing them as very thin
> half-circles.
>
> But what seasoning? And should there be a bit of darker green in there?
> Maybe dark green leaves from bok choy? How about cilantro?
>
> Do Asians use anything like lima beans? Right now I'm mentally tasting
> an Asian pork soup flavored with coriander leaves (cilantro) and also
> containing onion and lima bean.
>
> Thought? Suggestions?
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>>
>> I would make a soup like that with limagrands, those big white dried lima
>> beans.
>>
>> For the stock I would use a small porkette ham or a ham bone.

> I'm sorry, but I don't know what a "porkette ham" is.
>
>> Soak the beans over night first (best way) or do a quick soak same
>> day....
>> bring to a boil, let stand for an hour and then throw that water away and
>> do
>> it a second time and cook them with your ham.
>>
>> Add chopped celery, carrot, onion, garlic (generous) a potato, bay leaf,
>> salt.
>>
>> Cook it till the limas are really nice and soft.
>>
>> Take out the porkette, chop the ham up and return it to the soup.

> Hey, that sounds good! It'll have to be next weekend, since I didn't
> have a chance to get beans etc this weekend, and we're getting blasted
> with about a foot of snow tomorrow.
>
> Thanks!
>
> PP

A porkette is chunks of uncooked ham that are cut off the bone and slipped
into a wrapping. It is treated just like any other ham, except you don't
have to deal with the bone, and of course you wouldn't want to roast it in
the oven, but boil it instead. They are good for small families. The
more well known brand here is Freirich. They are excellent to cook up with
beans.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That is very similar to my recipe, but I don't use the cayenne (though you
could) and I don't need any oil. I just put it all into a pot and boil it
till everything is tender. One pot meal kind of thing......

Ev

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> [...]
>> there.
>>
>> So, my mind is musing on a pork and lima bean soup. I'm assuming there
>> will be a strong stock, probably from pork neck bones I brown in the
>> oven. Onions are a given. For some reason I'm seeing them as very thin
>> half-circles.
>>
>> But what seasoning? And should there be a bit of darker green in there?
>> Maybe dark green leaves from bok choy? How about cilantro?
>>
>> Do Asians use anything like lima beans? Right now I'm mentally tasting
>> an Asian pork soup flavored with coriander leaves (cilantro) and also
>> containing onion and lima bean.
>>
>> Thought? Suggestions?
>>
>> PP

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"Jacquie" > wrote:

> Here's a recipe I found online that sounds good...I probably wouldn't put
> allot of the cayenne in ..maybe a few drops of pepper sauce instead...just
> to add a quiet bite I suppose you could add ham instead of smoked turkey I
> sometimes add a few chunks of smoked pork chops in my bean...adds a bit more
> flavor then just ham....

Looks interesting. Thanks!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> A porkette is chunks of uncooked ham that are cut off the bone and slipped
> into a wrapping. It is treated just like any other ham, except you don't
> have to deal with the bone, and of course you wouldn't want to roast it in
> the oven, but boil it instead. They are good for small families. The
> more well known brand here is Freirich. They are excellent to cook up with
> beans.

Thanks! I'll keep my eye out.

PP