Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Why ?

I was just watching an eposide of "How It's Made" they showed making hot
dogs and I was surprised to see that they added HFCS to the mix. Why
would you add sugar to a meat product ? The program originates in Canada
but I would assume that it is also done in the U.S. , probabaly not here
but I will check if they add HFCS or sugar here next time I go shopping.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:
> I was just watching an eposide of "How It's Made" they showed making
> hot dogs and I was surprised to see that they added HFCS to the mix.
> Why would you add sugar to a meat product ? The program originates in
> Canada but I would assume that it is also done in the U.S. ,
> probabaly not here but I will check if they add HFCS or sugar here
> next time I go shopping.

I think it comes under "assorted shit" in the ingredients list

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
>I was just watching an eposide of "How It's Made" they showed making hot
>dogs and I was surprised to see that they added HFCS to the mix. Why would
>you add sugar to a meat product ? The program originates in Canada but I
>would assume that it is also done in the U.S. , probabaly not here but I
>will check if they add HFCS or sugar here next time I go shopping.

When I was a kid, it was sugar they added. Now here, HFCS is cheaper so
they use that. My dad always said they added sweeteners and fat to foods to
give them an addictive quality, especially for children. And things that I
have read about this seem to bear this out.

I don't know what ingredients normally go into a hot dog. That's one food
that has never appealed to me and even as a child I wouldn't eat them.

I do know that plenty of meat has sweetener added. I am thinking of sugar
cured ham, honey roasted turkey, maple ham or sausages, and even BBQ sauce.

When I was a child, we read ingredient labels (if they were there) and
avoided those things with added sugar. Now I also avoid those things with
HFCS. I do make a few exceptions. Like when I buy BBQ sauce or ketchup.
But for things like canned vegetables, pasta sauce, etc., I don't want
sweetener added.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:58:48 +1000, RodS >
> wrote:
>
>>I was just watching an eposide of "How It's Made" they showed making hot
>>dogs and I was surprised to see that they added HFCS to the mix. Why
>>would you add sugar to a meat product ? The program originates in Canada
>>but I would assume that it is also done in the U.S. , probabaly not here
>>but I will check if they add HFCS or sugar here next time I go shopping.
>>
>> (- -)
>>=m=(_)=m=
>>RodS T2
>>Australia

> You need something to balance the taste of the nostrils,
> tails, hair and other unmentionables...
>
> I watched "Fast Food Nation" a couple of weeks ago; fiction
> based on a book based on facts. Watch it and you'll never
> look at a hot dog or hamburger mince in quite the same way
> again.

What is hamburger mince?

> I don't get religious about it, but where possible I buy my
> meats as cuts, not processed. I like to know what's in it.
> Similarly, I buy my snags from the local butcher when
> possible - I can watch him make them.

Oh great. Another one I don't know. What are snags?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:58:48 +1000, RodS >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I was just watching an eposide of "How It's Made" they showed
>>> making hot dogs and I was surprised to see that they added HFCS to
>>> the mix. Why would you add sugar to a meat product ? The program
>>> originates in Canada but I would assume that it is also done in the
>>> U.S. , probabaly not here but I will check if they add HFCS or
>>> sugar here next time I go shopping. (- -)
>>> =m=(_)=m=
>>> RodS T2
>>> Australia

>> You need something to balance the taste of the nostrils,
>> tails, hair and other unmentionables...
>>
>> I watched "Fast Food Nation" a couple of weeks ago; fiction
>> based on a book based on facts. Watch it and you'll never
>> look at a hot dog or hamburger mince in quite the same way
>> again.

> What is hamburger mince?

What most Americans call hamburger. Usually here it means a lot fo fat
minced through with it. I prefer lean minced meat where you don't lose half
the meat when cooking it, by the time you drain off all the fat.

>> I don't get religious about it, but where possible I buy my
>> meats as cuts, not processed. I like to know what's in it.
>> Similarly, I buy my snags from the local butcher when
>> possible - I can watch him make them.

> Oh great. Another one I don't know. What are snags?

Sausages. Great on sangers at barbies.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes i told ya its in EVERTHING!

I was bummed to see the added modifed corn starch to plain sugar free jello
now..

:-/

It annoying when jello isnt jello anymore...im tellin ya soon mustard will
have it.

"vinagar...now with tasty hfcs buy it now!"..lol

KROM

"RodS" > wrote in message
>I was just watching an eposide of "How It's Made" they showed making hot
>dogs and I was surprised to see that they added HFCS to the mix. Why would
>you add sugar to a meat product ? The program originates in Canada but I
>would assume that it is also done in the U.S. , probabaly not here but I
>will check if they add HFCS or sugar here next time I go shopping.
>
> (- -)
> =m=(_)=m=
> RodS T2
> Australia

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i buy organic ketchup,,no hfcs..ken davis and one other major brand i cant
recall now make a hfcs free que sauce..thier 2 gms of carb per serving ones.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message
>>I was just watching an eposide of "How It's Made" they showed making hot
>>dogs and I was surprised to see that they added HFCS to the mix. Why would
>>you add sugar to a meat product ? The program originates in Canada but I
>>would assume that it is also done in the U.S. , probabaly not here but I
>>will check if they add HFCS or sugar here next time I go shopping.

> When I was a kid, it was sugar they added. Now here, HFCS is cheaper so
> they use that. My dad always said they added sweeteners and fat to foods
> to give them an addictive quality, especially for children. And things
> that I have read about this seem to bear this out.
>
> I don't know what ingredients normally go into a hot dog. That's one food
> that has never appealed to me and even as a child I wouldn't eat them.
>
> I do know that plenty of meat has sweetener added. I am thinking of sugar
> cured ham, honey roasted turkey, maple ham or sausages, and even BBQ
> sauce.
>
> When I was a child, we read ingredient labels (if they were there) and
> avoided those things with added sugar. Now I also avoid those things with
> HFCS. I do make a few exceptions. Like when I buy BBQ sauce or ketchup.
> But for things like canned vegetables, pasta sauce, etc., I don't want
> sweetener added.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>> What is hamburger mince?

> What most Americans call hamburger. Usually here it means a lot fo fat
> minced through with it. I prefer lean minced meat where you don't lose
> half the meat when cooking it, by the time you drain off all the fat.

I only buy the lean, organic, grass fed.

>>> I don't get religious about it, but where possible I buy my
>>> meats as cuts, not processed. I like to know what's in it.
>>> Similarly, I buy my snags from the local butcher when
>>> possible - I can watch him make them.

>> Oh great. Another one I don't know. What are snags?

> Sausages. Great on sangers at barbies.

Um... ?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>i buy organic ketchup,,no hfcs..ken davis and one other major brand i cant
>recall now make a hfcs free que sauce..thier 2 gms of carb per serving
>ones.

I buy organic too. Used to buy the one carb, but then discovered organic!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I liked the system in the butcher shops in France when I was
> wandering there. There was no mince (or ground) beef on
> display, just the various cuts of different meats. The
> customer selected the cut they wanted as mince and the
> butcher put it through the mincing machine there and then,
> in front of the customer.
>
> That meant the customer saw exactly how much was lean, how
> much was fat and that no other ingredients or contaminants
> were included.

Except perhaps what was left over from the previous mincing.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Evelyn wrote:
> > It used to be that way here, but they stopped doing that. I used to
> > pick up a nice big chuck roast in the supermarket and ask the butcher to
> > please grind it. One day they said no.
> >

> Evelyn, do you have a Kitchen Aid mixer? They have meat grinder
> attachments available for them. I have one and I grind my own beef with
> it. The attachments are in the $40 neighborhood and are available
> on-line, in some department stores and at Kitchen Collection in the
> outlet malls.
>
> I usually wait for a good sale on chuck roasts and trim them by hand. If
> the roast has bones, I freeze the bones to use for making stock. Since
> you live in cold climates, you could save the suet and stuff it into
> pine cones to hang out for the birds in winter. I used to do that when I
> lived in New Jersey and the children were small. I have cut out the
> "fillet steak" from the roasts and it's great on the grill.
>
> We like the flavor of chuck but the fat content in the store-ground meat
> was just too high. Now we know what is in our ground beef and we control
> how much fat.
>
> I also cut up some of the chuck for stewing and chili meat.

I do that all the time. Chuck roasts tend to go on sale much more often
than stew meat.

Well, OK, I used to, when I bought supermarket meat. I may have to
doing it again, giving up my mail order grass fed beef and buffalo.
There's a financial crisis in my family, and I have to help out. What
family these days *doesn't* have a financial crisis in it somewhere?
*sigh*

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> Janet I don't have one of those mixers, but they are a great gadget to have.
> I have solved the problem by shopping for my ground meat at a special local
> store that has locally grown meat with NO preservatives, antibiotics or any
> other such junk. The flavor is unbelievable!

Wow. Sounds like the price might be, too. But some things are worth
the extra.

Remember what chicken tasted like when we were kids?

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>
>> Janet I don't have one of those mixers, but they are a great gadget to
>> have.
>> I have solved the problem by shopping for my ground meat at a special
>> local
>> store that has locally grown meat with NO preservatives, antibiotics or
>> any
>> other such junk. The flavor is unbelievable!

> Wow. Sounds like the price might be, too. But some things are worth
> the extra.
>
> Remember what chicken tasted like when we were kids?
>
> PP

I have a local place that sells chicken that tastes like that, and it is the
same place where I get the ground beef. It really isn't that much more
money. When you buy really good quality food, you have less waste anyway.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You're worried about corn syrup in hot dogs, but you're not concerned
about the lips, eyeballs, and assholes?!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Did I miss the health warnings about eating lips, eyeballs and arseholes?

Miss Anne Thrope wrote:
> You're worried about corn syrup in hot dogs, but you're not concerned
> about the lips, eyeballs, and assholes?!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Miss Anne Thrope wrote:
> You're worried about corn syrup in hot dogs, but you're not concerned
> about the lips, eyeballs, and assholes?!

Assholes are no carb. Humans have been eating more than muscle for
millennia. Get over it.

Lemme tell you about the rodent feces in the peanut butter on your
morning toast...

V.