Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Super Bird

Years ago I used to get this sandwich at Denney's and I loved it. I
wouldn't eat there now if you paid me. In looking at their nutritional
information, I think about the only things they serve that aren't loaded
with tons of other additives are the bacon and the applesauce. But I
digress...

If memory serves, this was a grilled sandwich on sourdough bread. It had
turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, onions and tomatoes. Very tasty.

I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the turkey
in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe warmed in
the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked till crispy
separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable pre-cooked bacon, so
not a problem there.

You could then wrap this in lettuce to eat. Or serve it on whatever kind of
bread you eat. If you eat bread.

I have a package of sliced turkey breast about to go bad and was trying to
think of something to do with it. Besides the usual warmed up turkey with
mashed potatoes. That never goes over too well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:32:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the turkey
>in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe warmed in
>the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked till crispy
>separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable pre-cooked bacon, so
>not a problem there.

Mmmm! Sounds good. You could do a straight Italian version with
mozzarella and basil, too.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:32:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the turkey
>>in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe warmed
>>in
>>the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked till crispy
>>separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable pre-cooked bacon,
>>so
>>not a problem there.

> Mmmm! Sounds good. You could do a straight Italian version with
> mozzarella and basil, too.

That would work too.

At another restaurant called Lyons (now defunct chain in CA) I used to get a
foccacia sandwich. They put pesto on it. There was turkey and spinach.
Can't remember now if there was cheese or not. I think there was tomato.
Maybe onion. It was very good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 01:30:24 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>At another restaurant called Lyons (now defunct chain in CA) I used to get a
>foccacia sandwich. They put pesto on it. There was turkey and spinach.
>Can't remember now if there was cheese or not. I think there was tomato.
>Maybe onion. It was very good.

This is good timing, Julie - I have some turkey in the fridge and
needed some ideas for it

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >At another restaurant called Lyons (now defunct chain in CA) I used to get a
: >foccacia sandwich. They put pesto on it. There was turkey and spinach.
: >Can't remember now if there was cheese or not. I think there was tomato.
: >Maybe onion. It was very good.
: >

: This is good timing, Julie - I have some turkey in the fridge and
: needed some ideas for it

: Nicky.

Try my turkey club sandwich salad recipe. chunks of turkey, crumbled
bacon(I use the fak Baco-bits), chunked tomatoes. Mix with some mayonaise
adn black pepper(enough salt in teh bacon) and serve on a bed of crispy
lettuce. For the rest of the family, serve some toast cubes on the side
to put on top of their portions.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> Years ago I used to get this sandwich at Denney's and I loved it. I
> wouldn't eat there now if you paid me. In looking at their nutritional
> information, I think about the only things they serve that aren't loaded
> with tons of other additives are the bacon and the applesauce. But I
> digress...
>
> If memory serves, this was a grilled sandwich on sourdough bread. It had
> turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, onions and tomatoes. Very tasty.
>
> I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the turkey
> in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe warmed in
> the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked till crispy
> separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable pre-cooked bacon, so
> not a problem there.
>
> You could then wrap this in lettuce to eat. Or serve it on whatever kind of
> bread you eat. If you eat bread.
>
> I have a package of sliced turkey breast about to go bad and was trying to
> think of something to do with it. Besides the usual warmed up turkey with
> mashed potatoes. That never goes over too well.

why not stuff this into a pita pocket, then melt the cheese and heat the
turkey meat

bacon always makes things taste better

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Try my turkey club sandwich salad recipe. chunks of turkey, crumbled
> bacon(I use the fak Baco-bits), chunked tomatoes. Mix with some mayonaise
> adn black pepper(enough salt in teh bacon) and serve on a bed of crispy
> lettuce. For the rest of the family, serve some toast cubes on the side
> to put on top of their portions.

That reminds me of my BLT salad -- lettuce, tomato, bacon, and mayo. YUM

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Years ago I used to get this sandwich at Denney's and I loved it. I
>> wouldn't eat there now if you paid me. In looking at their nutritional
>> information, I think about the only things they serve that aren't loaded
>> with tons of other additives are the bacon and the applesauce. But I
>> digress...
>>
>> If memory serves, this was a grilled sandwich on sourdough bread. It had
>> turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, onions and tomatoes. Very tasty.
>>
>> I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the
>> turkey in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe
>> warmed in the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked
>> till crispy separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable
>> pre-cooked bacon, so not a problem there.
>>
>> You could then wrap this in lettuce to eat. Or serve it on whatever kind
>> of bread you eat. If you eat bread.
>>
>> I have a package of sliced turkey breast about to go bad and was trying
>> to think of something to do with it. Besides the usual warmed up turkey
>> with mashed potatoes. That never goes over too well.

> why not stuff this into a pita pocket, then melt the cheese and heat the
> turkey meat
>
> bacon always makes things taste better

I don't know if I'm allergic to pita or not. Might contain egg or milk. I
will look next time I go to the store. Pita bread doesn't seem to be a big
thing here. I don't think I've ever seen it. Years ago I used to get mini
pitas to take in my lunch. Alas, Angela can't have pita. Unless I can find
a gluten free recipe for it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Try my turkey club sandwich salad recipe. chunks of turkey, crumbled
>> bacon(I use the fak Baco-bits), chunked tomatoes. Mix with some
>> mayonaise
>> adn black pepper(enough salt in teh bacon) and serve on a bed of crispy
>> lettuce. For the rest of the family, serve some toast cubes on the side
>> to put on top of their portions.

> That reminds me of my BLT salad -- lettuce, tomato, bacon, and mayo. YUM

I used to make cherry tomatoes that were stuffed with a mixture of mayo,
crumbled bacon and finely minced green onion. Always a hit at parties. Too
bad I can't find a good sub for the mayo.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:31:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Too
>bad I can't find a good sub for the mayo.

Hmmm. Would a touch of Xantham or guar gum work to stabilise an
oil/vinegar emulsion? Actually, even just an oil/water one? You'd need
to whizz it up just before use, but the taste ought to work.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:31:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Too
>>bad I can't find a good sub for the mayo.
>>

> Hmmm. Would a touch of Xantham or guar gum work to stabilise an
> oil/vinegar emulsion? Actually, even just an oil/water one? You'd need
> to whizz it up just before use, but the taste ought to work.

Tried that. Taste and texture was off. My recipe called for the addition
of lemon juice, onion powder and something else. I can't remember now.
Maybe paprika.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Years ago I used to get this sandwich at Denney's and I loved it. I
> wouldn't eat there now if you paid me. In looking at their nutritional
> information, I think about the only things they serve that aren't loaded
> with tons of other additives are the bacon and the applesauce. But I
> digress...
>
> If memory serves, this was a grilled sandwich on sourdough bread. It had
> turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, onions and tomatoes. Very tasty.
>
> I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the turkey
> in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe warmed
> in the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked till
> crispy separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable pre-cooked
> bacon, so not a problem there.
>
> You could then wrap this in lettuce to eat. Or serve it on whatever kind
> of bread you eat. If you eat bread.
>
> I have a package of sliced turkey breast about to go bad and was trying to
> think of something to do with it. Besides the usual warmed up turkey with
> mashed potatoes. That never goes over too well.

Ah yes, the SuperBird... that was my Denny's favorite as well. And by the
way, Denny's has made a tremendous effort to ramp up their quality overall.
And therein the reason they had the free breakfast for anyone promotion a
few weeks ago. They want to make Joe Publiq comfortable coming to their
restaurant again, particularly with food quality.

And although I missed out on the freebie breakfast deal (lol)... I did have
breakfast at various locations recently and found that it is possible to
have a reasonable low carb meal if you really try, and I did find the
quality to be okay. Not five star by any stretch, but neither were the
prices on the menu, so I for one am willing to "go to Lenny's I mean
Denny's" again for a change.

Wes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Years ago I used to get this sandwich at Denney's and I loved it. I
>> wouldn't eat there now if you paid me. In looking at their nutritional
>> information, I think about the only things they serve that aren't loaded
>> with tons of other additives are the bacon and the applesauce. But I
>> digress...
>>
>> If memory serves, this was a grilled sandwich on sourdough bread. It had
>> turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, onions and tomatoes. Very tasty.
>>
>> I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the
>> turkey in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe
>> warmed in the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked
>> till crispy separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable
>> pre-cooked bacon, so not a problem there.
>>
>> You could then wrap this in lettuce to eat. Or serve it on whatever kind
>> of bread you eat. If you eat bread.
>>
>> I have a package of sliced turkey breast about to go bad and was trying
>> to think of something to do with it. Besides the usual warmed up turkey
>> with mashed potatoes. That never goes over too well.
>>

> Ah yes, the SuperBird... that was my Denny's favorite as well. And by the
> way, Denny's has made a tremendous effort to ramp up their quality
> overall. And therein the reason they had the free breakfast for anyone
> promotion a few weeks ago. They want to make Joe Publiq comfortable coming
> to their restaurant again, particularly with food quality.
>
> And although I missed out on the freebie breakfast deal (lol)... I did
> have breakfast at various locations recently and found that it is possible
> to have a reasonable low carb meal if you really try, and I did find the
> quality to be okay. Not five star by any stretch, but neither were the
> prices on the menu, so I for one am willing to "go to Lenny's I mean
> Denny's" again for a change.

I just looked at their nutritional information and allergens and can't see
much change there. Yes, there are a few more things we can eat, but we
still can't get a meal there. Too much extra stuff in their food that we
are allergic to. Such is the problem with most chains.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Willy" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Years ago I used to get this sandwich at Denney's and I loved it. I
>>> wouldn't eat there now if you paid me. In looking at their nutritional
>>> information, I think about the only things they serve that aren't loaded
>>> with tons of other additives are the bacon and the applesauce. But I
>>> digress...
>>>
>>> If memory serves, this was a grilled sandwich on sourdough bread. It
>>> had turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, onions and tomatoes. Very
>>> tasty.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the
>>> turkey in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe
>>> warmed in the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked
>>> till crispy separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable
>>> pre-cooked bacon, so not a problem there.
>>>
>>> You could then wrap this in lettuce to eat. Or serve it on whatever
>>> kind of bread you eat. If you eat bread.
>>>
>>> I have a package of sliced turkey breast about to go bad and was trying
>>> to think of something to do with it. Besides the usual warmed up turkey
>>> with mashed potatoes. That never goes over too well.
>>>

>> Ah yes, the SuperBird... that was my Denny's favorite as well. And by
>> the way, Denny's has made a tremendous effort to ramp up their quality
>> overall. And therein the reason they had the free breakfast for anyone
>> promotion a few weeks ago. They want to make Joe Publiq comfortable
>> coming to their restaurant again, particularly with food quality.
>>
>> And although I missed out on the freebie breakfast deal (lol)... I did
>> have breakfast at various locations recently and found that it is
>> possible to have a reasonable low carb meal if you really try, and I did
>> find the quality to be okay. Not five star by any stretch, but neither
>> were the prices on the menu, so I for one am willing to "go to Lenny's I
>> mean Denny's" again for a change.

> I just looked at their nutritional information and allergens and can't see
> much change there. Yes, there are a few more things we can eat, but we
> still can't get a meal there. Too much extra stuff in their food that we
> are allergic to. Such is the problem with most chains.

I don't think I've ever known anyone as terrorized with allergies as you -
honestly, I don't know how you manage. And dare I grumble about having to
deal with the normal diabetic limitations, I can't imagine how you have to
think and investigate everything that goes into your mouth. It's almost
overwhelming at times I'm sure.

Wes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote in message

> I don't think I've ever known anyone as terrorized with allergies as you -
> honestly, I don't know how you manage. And dare I grumble about having to
> deal with the normal diabetic limitations, I can't imagine how you have to
> think and investigate everything that goes into your mouth. It's almost
> overwhelming at times I'm sure.

I know plenty of people with food allergies. But then I hang out on food
allergy boards.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Willy" > wrote in message
>
>> I don't think I've ever known anyone as terrorized with allergies as
>> you - honestly, I don't know how you manage. And dare I grumble about
>> having to deal with the normal diabetic limitations, I can't imagine how
>> you have to think and investigate everything that goes into your mouth.
>> It's almost overwhelming at times I'm sure.

> I know plenty of people with food allergies. But then I hang out on food
> allergy boards.

I know on a first name basis probably 1,000 people, and maybe more. (I'm in
sales)... but I've NEVER known anyone as plagued by allergies as you. I
just don't know how you manage as you do.

Kudo's to you Julie.

Wes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Willy" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I don't think I've ever known anyone as terrorized with allergies as
>>> you - honestly, I don't know how you manage. And dare I grumble about
>>> having to deal with the normal diabetic limitations, I can't imagine how
>>> you have to think and investigate everything that goes into your mouth.
>>> It's almost overwhelming at times I'm sure.

>> I know plenty of people with food allergies. But then I hang out on food
>> allergy boards.
>>

> I know on a first name basis probably 1,000 people, and maybe more. (I'm
> in sales)... but I've NEVER known anyone as plagued by allergies as you.
> I just don't know how you manage as you do.
>
> Kudo's to you Julie.

Allergies run in my family so that could be one reason. Another reason is
as soon as you put some gluten free item in your cart at the store, you are
often approached by some other customer who also has to avoid gluten. We
tend to talk to each other.

My daughter had a friend who had all of her food allergies plus some more.
I was already friends with the girl's mom before we learned of their
allergies.

We are no longer in contact with them because they changed the boundaries of
the school and the girl moved to a different school. So we just kind of
grew apart.

Also, the people who run my health food store often point people to me when
I happen to be in there. I don't mind answering questions, giving recipes,
etc. And they use Angela to taste test new products.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Willy" > wrote in message

>>> I know plenty of people with food allergies. But then I hang out on
>>> food allergy boards.
>>>

>> I know on a first name basis probably 1,000 people, and maybe more. (I'm
>> in sales)... but I've NEVER known anyone as plagued by allergies as you.
>> I just don't know how you manage as you do.
>>
>> Kudo's to you Julie.

> Allergies run in my family so that could be one reason. Another reason is
> as soon as you put some gluten free item in your cart at the store, you
> are often approached by some other customer who also has to avoid gluten.
> We tend to talk to each other.
>
> My daughter had a friend who had all of her food allergies plus some more.
> I was already friends with the girl's mom before we learned of their
> allergies.
>
> We are no longer in contact with them because they changed the boundaries
> of the school and the girl moved to a different school. So we just kind
> of grew apart.
>
> Also, the people who run my health food store often point people to me
> when I happen to be in there. I don't mind answering questions, giving
> recipes, etc. And they use Angela to taste test new products.

Are you T1 or T2?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote in message

> Are you T1 or T2?